travel_dude

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So according to capfriendly we can currently add $5,766,823 worth of cap hits at the deadline.

So if we target Stone, salary has to go the other way. 

Right now if we aren't going to target a goalie, my wishlist is as follows.

A LHS D: Patrick Nemeth or Michael Del Zotto are probably the two targets that make the most sense. Nemeth has the size and plays a steady game, but Colorado is sitting in a playoff spot are they going to move him? Anaheim gave up Like Schenn and 7th to get Del Zotto so I can't see him costing too much, a 4th maybe.

A Forward: Stone would be great but the cost is getting crazy. After that there are a lot of names on the secondary market. I think Staal is my top pick from the secondary group, big guy, wins draws, can play at both ends, and comes with a ring, just have to get him to waive to come here. After that I like Marcus Johansson, super versatile, can play up and down the line and all three forward positions, has the speed to play in this lineup. Hayes is next, he is a big guy with some offensive instincts. Burakovsky would be on my list too.

If we target two players then salary has to be moved in one way or another to make it work.

Staal is doing everything he can to prevent a trade.  He's heart and soul, so I think they want to keep him in the off chance they make the playoffs.

Some talk that we are looking at McQuaid, but Nemeth would be my preference of the two if we are even considering trading Kylington for Stone.

I wonder if OTT is pricing Stone out of the market.

He's not going to sign unless they completely cave.

So, they are screwing up the market and themselves as teams start to look elsewhere.

Heard that asking price for Hayes is 1st + Kyl or Ras or Val.

Insane for a rental at this point.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-assistant-gm-craig-conroy-looks-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline/

Conroy has gotten a little better at not tipping his cards in these interviews.

Basically he said if they add it would be a LHS D with some experience. If the opportunity presents itself to add at forward they will look at it, but they like their group up front. They aren't looking at a goalie, they believe in their tandem and are willing to go ahead with the guys they have.

I think not going after a goalie is a mistake. Right now we are 20th in the league in save%, there is only one team in a playoff spot that has a worse save% than us and that's Colorado.

If we get bounced in the 1st two rounds goaltending will be the reason why.

I agree with your feelings.  Smith has played good in a couple of games.  Do we forget what he was like in 75% of the season to date?

Annoying that he git the starts this late in the trade season, so we are stuck guessing which Smith will show up for the rest of the season.  

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I agree with your feelings.  Smith has played good in a couple of games.  Do we forget what he was like in 75% of the season to date?

Annoying that he git the starts this late in the trade season, so we are stuck guessing which Smith will show up for the rest of the season.  

There's the other side too that we had to give Smith enough rope to hang himself.

He's played through it and looks, invigorated.

Stick with the positives, he's looked good, he'll get it back now at push time.

Would be an amazing story for him too. Struggle struggle struggle.

Crush it.

I think my last offer to the Sens would be Kylington, any prospect not named Valamki or Dube, and a first with an additional first if he re signs. Sens can eat salary to make the deal work financially, which wouldn't be much. 

If they want more more than that god speed because I'm out. If Winnipeg wants to beat that let them imo and chase him as a UFA. Winnipeg is facing a huge cap crunch this offseason so them re signing stone is more unlikely than the Flames. 

Someone more well versed please correct me if I’m wrong, but Michael stone... couldn’t they put him on LTIR retroactive to whenever he stopped playing and increase our amount of cap space for the TDL? (To make room for his brother no less!) 

As for Staal, I know I was the one pushing for him earlier as I do like the player, but my feelings on the matter have changed after I’ve heard it reported multiple times he is doing everything in his power not to be traded and doesn’t want to be traded. I don’t think it would be good for the room to obtain a player who never wanted to be there. 

10 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Someone more well versed please correct me if I’m wrong, but Michael stone... couldn’t they put him on LTIR retroactive to whenever he stopped playing and increase our amount of cap space? (To make room for his brother no less!) 

They can put him on if they need him yes. But if Michael is ever healthy he would need to be activated and then the Flames would have to be cap compliant. So unless they can hold him out until the playoffs this wouldn't allow for a brother reunion

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They can put him on if they need him yes. But if Michael is ever healthy he would need to be activated and then the Flames would have to be called compliant. So unless they can hold him out until the playoffs this wouldn't allow for a brother addition. 

I see. Thank you for the clarification. We wouldn’t want to hold Michael Stone out until playoffs because we would be better off getting him up to speed before then for extra playoff depth on defense. 

6 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Someone more well versed please correct me if I’m wrong, but Michael stone... couldn’t they put him on LTIR retroactive to whenever he stopped playing and increase our amount of cap space for the TDL? (To make room for his brother no less!) 

As for Staal, I know I was the one pushing for him earlier as I do like the player, but my feelings on the matter have changed after I’ve heard it reported multiple times he is doing everything in his power not to be traded and doesn’t want to be traded. I don’t think it would be good for the room to obtain a player who never wanted to be there. 

If we are on Staal's no trade list, but he waives it to come here, then it would be his choice to come here.

I do wonder though if he would waive to come here, two of the worst years of his career were with Peters in Carolina.

I think we see a quiet day tomorrow.

I think we will see BT add a Nemeth or Del Zotto, but other than that I think it could be a quiet day.

I had a (hopeful) feeling we would leave Ottawa with Stone, but I don’t feel it’s very likely we land him now. I think BT will let the other teams overpay and we will take our shot with the team we have

6 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Stone will stay in Ottawa.

The Flames just proved to Dorion that with his AHL team and a couple good players (stone etc.) They can compete with the best of them next year.

Bwahahaha.

What they proved is every once in awhile, you can pull the stars out of your lineup and almost wn.  Almost.

They will almost draft Hughes.

The team is being gutted by Eugene to allow him to take his profits from profit sharing without paying extra for stars.

Signal next rebuild.

Stone won't cave.

He put conditions that they can't and won;t meet.

If he's lucky, he will delay just long enough to screw the Sens and walk for a big ticket anywhere in the summer.

EDIT - I was not making fun of you dude.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Just and fyi, Commodore just called Nyquist to SJ earlier today and now McKenzie is verifying it.

Commodore also said Hayes will be coming to Calgary. He says a lot of things though.

I read the Nyquist one.by Bobby Mac.'

Commy said that Hayes goes to CGY and Stone to WPG.

I'm not worried about Nyquist to SJS as much as I would be Stone to WPG.

SJS will have their hands full playing VHK.

As much as I like our chances with our present roster, it doesn;t hurt to add something.

Stone.

Hayes

Hoffman

All these guys add in the now.  Re-signing them presents a future problem, though Hoffman has a year left.

Archived