travel_dude

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Exactly , i mean at the end of the day it makes no difference, i'm just a naturally curious person and when you give me half the info i want it all :) 

these things happen all the time,  nearly every trade BP has made he makes a reference to already knowing the player, and having had talks about him previously , we just never hear about it . Like Derek Ryan , we tried to get him at deadline last year it came out .

Those that love Zucker may see him on the team next season.  It would not be surprising.  Where would you fit him though?

Is he a replacement for Bennett?  Is that what the idea was or was it Frolik?

I can't picture making a trade for him and then using him on the 4th line.

3rd line LW if you bump up Bennett to 2nd line.

Zucker-Janko-Neal/Czarnik

2nd line RW if you keep Bennett with Janko.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Zucker

Interesting.  Considering he makes more cap than Frolik for longer, 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Those that love Zucker may see him on the team next season.  It would not be surprising.  Where would you fit him though?

Tkachuk-Backlund-Zucker

Maybe there was more to Neal's injury than we know. If BT was trying for Stone knowing a resign would have to happen at a high number, Zucker on a fixed contract a 5M AAV isn't a bad fallback position.

I have a feeling with most that Frolik was the player going the other way with any pick(s)

Neal makes it back and they could keep running with Bennett, Jankowski, Neal like they were.

Next season's problem now.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Zucker

I like Zucker, but that's a tough trade removing our best 2 way forward. I get it, we want to increase scoring and salary has to go back. Frolik is a guy that can go all over the lineup at either wing and his work in the D zone is like having another C/helping the C with D responsibility.

I'm kinda glad it didn't go through tbh. Frolik is what you need in the playoffs so we should wait on this.

Just throwing it out there, but it's reported in The Athletic that the trade never made it to the league office.

Also, it seems like Minny thought they had a deal.

Pure speculation, but I'd kinda have to deduce something happened on the Flames end.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I like Zucker, but that's a tough trade removing our best 2 way forward. I get it, we want to increase scoring and salary has to go back. Frolik is a guy that can go all over the lineup at either wing and his work in the D zone is like having another C/helping the C with D responsibility.

I'm kinda glad it didn't go through tbh. Frolik is what you need in the playoffs so we should wait on this.

Just throwing it out there, but it's reported in The Athletic that the trade never made it to the league office.

Pure speculation, but I'd kinda have to deduce something happened on the Flames end.

Zucker is as good defensively as Frolik if not better. Zucker is a very good two way player. IMO he gives you equal defense to Frolik, but more offense and better speed.

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Look at it from the perspective of going a little younger and havng cost certainty.

Frolik might be re-signed after next season, or they may have to replace him.

That's a higher cap hit in two years.

BT is all about the cap.

I'm happy to have Frolik.  He fits the team now.

But we also have to think about the future with Tkachuk and the 2nd line.

Can;t always just prevent goals.

I am of the belief that the NHL screwed up somehow.  There should have been no reason for the deal to fall through.

I'm surprised that the deal wasn;t protested by Minny and CGY.

Keep it quiet but protest.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Look at it from the perspective of going a little younger and havng cost certainty.

Frolik might be re-signed after next season, or they may have to replace him.

That's a higher cap hit in two years.

BT is all about the cap.

I'm happy to have Frolik.  He fits the team now.

But we also have to think about the future with Tkachuk and the 2nd line.

Can;t always just prevent goals.

I am of the belief that the NHL screwed up somehow.  There should have been no reason for the deal to fall through.

I'm surprised that the deal wasn;t protested by Minny and CGY.

Keep it quiet but protest.

I read an article about Zucker today in The Athletic. Sounds like it never made it to the NHL yet a deal was in place.

I think it may have been leaked and nixed.

Could be why BT was "white hot". Someone on the Flames side leaked it before it was submitted?

All of this is surmising on my part btw. Not gospel. Gossipel. lol

Please no one use me as, "a source". lol

I do think frolik is the better defensive forward but it's marginal, Zuckers a really good two way guy just not quite frolik. But his speed, shot and his release are also much better. Think he'd fit great alongside Tkachuk and backlund even if it means losing a catchy line name. 

I think we'll find out soon enough what happen. Reporters these days get paid to dig up stories like this and whoever is mad they'll want it to get out why they are mad. 

But it sure does sound like this is not an NHL issue it was a team issue 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I do think frolik is the better defensive forward but it's marginal, Zuckers a really good two way guy just not quite frolik. But his speed, shot and his release are also much better. Think he'd fit great alongside Tkachuk and backlund even if it means losing a catchy line name. 

I think we'll find out soon enough what happen. Reporters these days get paid to dig up stories like this and whoever is mad they'll want it to get out why they are mad. 

But it sure does sound like this is not an NHL issue it was a team issue 

Did you post that as intended? You believe the Flames erred? I thought that the Athletic claimed NHL Central blew it, and Treliving was angry.

14 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Did you post that as intended? You believe the Flames erred? I thought that the Athletic claimed NHL Central blew it, and Treliving was angry.

I think the issue is at the team level yes. Whether it was Wild or Flames we don't know but Russo, Wild Insider who wrote the article, clarified that the league never received any notification, email, fax whatever about the trade. Sounds more like someone backed out as opposed to the league not registering the trade. 

Edit: Friedman also saying today too that the deal never made it to Central Registry. 

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/2/28/friedman-failed-flames-wild-trade-never-got-to-central-registry

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think the issue is at the team level yes. Whether it was Wild or Flames we don't know but Russo, Wild Insider who wrote the article, clarified that the league never received any notification, email, fax whatever about the trade. Sounds more like someone backed out as opposed to the league not registering the trade. 

And Zucker’s agent is mad as he thought a deal was done.

so this sounds too eerily close to the Bishop fiasco. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Edit: Friedman also saying today too that the deal never made it to Central Registry. 

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/2/28/friedman-failed-flames-wild-trade-never-got-to-central-registry

Thanks. I don't subscribe to the Athletic, so I was not sure. I appreciate the response.

56 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Someone really needs to push in the wire to our fax machine, or give it a good smack.

7 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Thanks. I don't subscribe to the Athletic, so I was not sure. I appreciate the response.

Someone really needs to push in the wire to our fax machine, or give it a good smack.

Stone was the problem all along.

Plan A right to the bitter end when Vegas deal was in jeopardy.

Unfortunately, Plan A was a lesser deal that OTT had rejected.

Plan B waited too long to get it done.

I don't know that I buy the deal never made it to the office.

Who knows.

At this point, who cares.

Revisit the deal before the draft and the same conditions exist.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Stone was the problem all along.

Plan A right to the bitter end when Vegas deal was in jeopardy.

Unfortunately, Plan A was a lesser deal that OTT had rejected.

Plan B waited too long to get it done.

I don't know that I buy the deal never made it to the office.

Who knows.

At this point, who cares.

Revisit the deal before the draft and the same conditions exist.

It's why I think Flames ownership, Or KK nixed the deal. 

Maybe they see Frolik and Zucker similarly and don't want to pay the extra $1+M on the contract, plus give up a 1st rounder? I dunno. 

They said he earned full autonomy from them meddling, but maybe that's why BT was so pissed it didn't go through. It must be pretty embarrassing.

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It's why I think Flames ownership, Or KK nixed the deal. 

Maybe they see Frolik and Zucker similarly and don't want to pay the extra $1+M on the contract, plus give up a 1st rounder? I dunno. 

They said he earned full autonomy from them meddling, but maybe that's why BT was so pissed it didn't go through. It must be pretty embarrassing.

He has autonomy.

This isn't a KK situation.

Successful organization hold the GM accountable, but all them the ability to make the mistakes.

Considering the team is in 1st place in the West, why would anyone (if they had ability) hold up the GM on this.

Sounds more of a timing issue than anything else.

Wait too long and it will sit too long on someone's desk or email.

Maybe they shut the queue down at 3:00pm.  Everything received before gets in, after gets a busy signal.

Anyway, this is the fault of waiting too long for a smaller trade.

Fantenburg got done in time.

Maybe there is a certain sequence that has to take place when in on multiple deals if you are using the same piece(s)..

Don't know.

Draft day is when BT makes his best deals anyway.  I have not liked any other time of year for him.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Listening to Russo's podcast, Wild Insider, yes they are mad but they are mad because Zucker is mad. He signed a long term deal just last summer and less than a year later he's being shopped right before his NTC kicks in. Zucker didn't want to be traded. 

He's not sure of any reason as to why it broke down but he also figures he'll find out in a few days. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Listening to Russo's podcast, Wild Insider, yes they are mad but they are mad because Zucker is mad. He signed a long term deal just last summer and less than a year later he's being shopped right before his NTC kicks in. Zucker didn't want to be traded. 

He's not sure of any reason as to why it broke down but he also figures he'll find out in a few days. 

I got the sense that Zucker was pissed too. His post game interview after TDL was all, "don't wanna talk about it".

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I got the sense that Zucker was pissed too. His post game interview after TDL was all, "don't wanna talk about it".

I cant blame him. It's totally the Wilds right to move him and it's a business but if you commit 5 years and get some trade protection you don't expect to get traded 8 months later. You certainly don't expect to get moved without the organization at least speaking with you. 

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

I love it. Adds some spice to a league that lacks it at times during the regular season

And the Isles up 3-1. Awesome.

cross mentioned elsewhere how adored the Isles are this yr for the controlled play and results with Trotz.

So we beat them last week, gave them a chance to regroup.

Go into their barn, exact same result.

Would be the same next week.

Yet. Yet. Everyone talks up the peg, the Preds, SJ, Vegas.

And we generally get the "no playoff experience".

Is that actually a thing?

Getting up for games now that's a thing. 2 vs Vegas coming up.

If we pull an "Islanders" on them, we'll become extremely popular.

Double-edged sword. lol

So might as well win both.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And the Isles up 3-1. Awesome.

cross mentioned elsewhere how adored the Isles are this yr for the controlled play and results with Trotz.

So we beat them last week, gave them a chance to regroup.

Go into their barn, exact same result.

Would be the same next week.

Yet. Yet. Everyone talks up the peg, the Preds, SJ, Vegas.

And we generally get the "no playoff experience".

Is that actually a thing?

Getting up for games now that's a thing. 2 vs Vegas coming up.

If we pull an "Islanders" on them, we'll become extremely popular.

Double-edged sword. lol

So might as well win both.

A split wouldn't be terrible, they cant catch us, play a little rope-a-dope until when it matters post season.

I'm glad no one is talking about us, don't need our guys getting big heads anyways.

Under the radar and steady as she goes.

Archived