travel_dude

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ummm.....did I miss something?

https://www.nhl.com/player/adam-mcquaid-8471717

Is this the same one that just went from  the Rags to Columbus?

ya thats him alright ....looks like somebody in communications jumped the gun on a trade that didnt go through  LOL or was typing too fast and picked the wrong "c"

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ummm.....did I miss something?

https://www.nhl.com/player/adam-mcquaid-8471717

Is this the same one that just went from  the Rags to Columbus?

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

As I look around it seems the NHL site is the only one with this error.

Nope...   Just a glitch on the NHL site...

I am happy that Treliving decided not to do much. It is very tempting to go shopping and lease shiny new things when everyone else does, but these prices were crazy. And I am not sure it is fair to state that if someone else got something for a certain price, that everyone could get it for that low. These negotiations are fluid. 

Treliving has dealt a lot of our picks over the last few years. I suspect he realizes that you pull those triggers sparingly when you are confident that the exchange will grow the team. He has judged well thus far from what I can gather. Imagine if we had dealt our 1st pick for a player that gets injured before one full game has elapsed? Imagine if Treliving had picked up someone who just didn't fit onto the team for some reason? This deadline is tempting because you see a lot of holes on your team, and potentially a lot of teams willing to help you fill those holes. These prices were just too high.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

More I think about it Zucker would have been a tough trade. 5.5 for 4 more seasons and he’s not having a great season. That deal could have went sideways fast like the Tatar one last year with Vegas. Maybe they revisit it in June 

I really like Zucker, always been a fan so I hope they do revisit. Would be interesting to know if they just ran out of time or if they just checked in and never got that close. They were linked to Kreider a bit too but asking price was high.

Deals in June tend to start at the deadline so be interesting to see what they do around the draft. Clearly there is a desire to get another scoring winger. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I really like Zucker, always been a fan so I hope they do revisit. Would be interesting to know if they just ran out of time or if they just checked in and never got that close. They were linked to Kreider a bit too but asking price was high.

Deals in June tend to start at the deadline so be interesting to see what they do around the draft. Clearly there is a desire to get another scoring winger. 

I’m a Zucker fan too and was excited to see they were talking about him. He fits this teams still of play and I think he would put up some good numbers away from the Wild and their “blah” system

I think the lack of a 2nd round pick is what really limited the Flames in making any deals. That seemed to be the going rate so unless the Flames wanted to then overpay it would be tough for them to address that depth scoring. Hard to pick up that depth for the late round picks anymore you need those top 2 round picks so hopefully they can start keeping their picks and their options open.

Can't say i'm super familiar with Fantenberg, but reading around he sounds like the type of dman I was after. Safe, steady and reliable so if you run into any situations where you don't want to play rookie dmen you've got a bit of a safety net which is what I was hoping they would grab at the price you would want them to pay so all sounds good. I don't think he'll play unless he steps in and wows but for now I expect them to continue to play their young dman and mix him in here and there. 

From what I have seen of Fantenberg, he's a very good skater and puck mover.  I'm really surprised that he only has 3-point in 46-games this season.  I'm not sure if his disappointing point totals are a result of the team as a whole or that he gets no PP time playing behind some of the Kings vets on D.

The risk here is he's a failed offensive defenseman and his defending is a work in progress. In any event, he's strictly a bottom pair guy on the Flames given our depth.  I can't even say he's a clear upgrade to Kylington but we'll have to see.  

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I'll be interested to see if the story comes out.

Although i'm reading some rumors that the return was pretty significant. Flames weren't stealing him away and would have given up their 1st.

I know you're a Zucker fan but in my opinion, he had a career year in his contract year and signed his big money deal.  He's now reverting back to his 20-goal 45-point range which is what he is.

He's not worth his contract. 

If it's a rumoured 1st we were giving up then I think we dodged a big one.

What has changed from this year and last?

Out (some still in the system but not regular anymore):

Hamilton

Ferland

Brouwer

Stajan

Lazar (out as a regular)

Versteeg

Kulak

Bartkowski

In:

Hanifin

Lindholm 

Neal

Czarnik

Ryan

Prout

From within: 

Andersson

Kylington

Valamaki 

Thats not to mention the other depth adds, Quine, Rychel.

there are three major things that i think Will most likely determine the fate of the team, and maybe not all three but I think will have a huge impact:

The PK! 

Last I checked we were 21st in the league on the PK. Against good teams the PK looks like a minor league PK. No pressure on the team with passive defence, and allowing their forwards net presence to disrupt our goalies.

i am afraid if we can’t stop them then we will be chasing games.

The PP!

We need to start making other team's scared to take penalties and worry more about the skill. Out scoring the special teams game will do great to win games.

Goaltending and lazy play could be tied for the 3rd point. It’s tough to recover on lazy plays and lazy line changes. The team had changed a lot over the last few seasons but this is something in the play that seems to have stuck. Some think all teams experience it so I have to go with the goalies. Can they sustain the play throughout the playoffs? It’s been a roller coaster season for both. 

I like this team’s chances if they can play engaged. And I think that those first 2.5 things could be fixed by playing engaged hockey. I think what I mean is that their heads are in it, which I think they’ve done good against good teams for the most part, aside from a PP that could’ve gone 4/4 in the Pens game. One goal was seconds after one penalty expired.

you look at the changes from last to this year and Lindholm is like having 2 Ferlands and Hanifin and Hamilton is basically a wash as Brodie has stepped up and Hanifin has made Hamonic way better too. The fits on the backend are better. 

Another change is the coach who who is not afraid to change things up and not afraid to hurt a few players’ feelings. 

We’ve already shown we can skate with the best of them, so what’s a few extra players to try and beat?

keep up the secondary scoring! Go Flames Go!!! 

Sorry for the long post! 

It also would not surprise me if the recent upswing in Mangiapane and Czarnik's play dodged a couple depth moves as well

I'm also curious to know how Tagging rules work, as the 9.5 contract for Stone puts Vegas with 82.3M on the books next year (even with their IR players removed) and 17 contracts .. i thought you couldn't exceed the cap even for next year ?

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I know you're a Zucker fan but in my opinion, he had a career year in his contract year and signed his big money deal.  He's now reverting back to his 20-goal 45-point range which is what he is.

He's not worth his contract. 

If it's a rumoured 1st we were giving up then I think we dodged a big one.

It's hard to say without knowing the full trade because salary would have had to be going the other way for the Flames too so I imagine it would have been a somewhat complex trade that may or not have been worth a 1st depending on other factos.

I think he's closer to the 30 goal scorer then he is the 20 this year. I actually think he's a decent buy low candidate in the sense he is under performing this year. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

It's hard to say without knowing the full trade because salary would have had to be going the other way for the Flames too so I imagine it would have been a somewhat complex trade.

I would not give up a first for Zucker either but I would be interested in the player. I think he's closer to the 30 goal scorer then he is the 20 this year. 

i was reading the Tweet thread.. somebody mentioned they had seen Frolik + the 1st

Just now, phoenix66 said:

i was reading the Tweet thread.. somebody mentioned they had seen Frolik + the 1st

Which apparently someone who spoke with Boomer said it was more significant than that but didn't specify if the price from Calgary was or that the the trade itself was.

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The PK! 

Last I checked we were 21st in the league on the PK. Against good teams the PK looks like a minor league PK. No pressure on the team with passive defence, and allowing their forwards net presence to disrupt our goalies.

i am afraid if we can’t stop them then we will be chasing games.

The PP!

We need to start making other team's scared to take penalties and worry more about the skill. Out scoring the special teams game will do great to win games.

Goaltending and lazy play could be tied for the 3rd point. It’s tough to recover on lazy plays and lazy line changes. The team had changed a lot over the last few seasons but this is something in the play that seems to have stuck. Some think all teams experience it so I have to go with the goalies. Can they sustain the play throughout the playoffs? It’s been a roller coaster season for both. 

Just quoting the parts I want to comment on.

PK - don;t look at the rankings as proof.  It's been up and down all year.  We've gone on streaks where we have zero scored on in many games.  The we get creamed in a couple with 2/4 1/2 etc.  It kills the averages.  They know how to PK.  They are pressuring the forwards, and stopping them at the line.  And then there are games that seem like they forget.  We are also one of the worst offfenders in the league and take a lot of penalties.  We have also been victimized by having putrid goaltending during the PK.

Check out Smith's stats for 4v5 play.  .798  

Rittich for 4v5 play .839

Rinne .844

MAF .870

PP - same look every time.  Easy to adjust to.  JH to Gio to Lindy.  2nd unit was good for awhile, but stagnant with Brodie and Backlund there.  Backlund has exactly one point on the PP, yet he's a fixture again it seems.

Lazy plays and G - mostly G it seems.  The laz plays are less, but they always seem to end up in the net.  You can;t fault Rittich for that breakaway goal by Tkachuk, but most times a mistake ends up in the net.

Everyone likes to see a deal and sticking to your pre-negotiation parameters is often not easy.  You cant get emotional about business.   BRAVO to BT.  We still have a great young team amd can look at options in the summer - BRAVO.

Backlund still shoots for stats but is playing well

Ryan is finding chemistry and confidence

Bennett and Jankowski get better every game

We have great defensive depth - Fatenberg is a solid add

Smitty is back lookin good and Big Save Dave is great

Neal was even lookin better

My only concern is playoff toughness - we have a shot

In the end, Ottawa didn't get much for Stone. I expected that Stone would fetch as much as Duchene (there are conditions of course). Maybe they demanded too much, and ended up losing when all was said and done.

I also wonder how exactly trades go down. Why didn't Dorion circle back to Treliving and work out a better deal? Did Treliving draw a line in the sand? Was Dorion stuck on Valimaki for some reason? Personality?

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

In the end, Ottawa didn't get much for Stone. I expected that Stone would fetch as much as Duchene (there are conditions of course). Maybe they demanded too much, and ended up losing when all was said and done.

I also wonder how exactly trades go down. Why didn't Dorion circle back to Treliving and work out a better deal? Did Treliving draw a line in the sand? Was Dorion stuck on Valimaki for some reason? Personality?

Apparently it was the best offer Ottawa got.

Brannstrom went 1 pick ahead of Valimaki in the draft. If Valimaki was who Ottawa wanted from Calgary and BT was unwilling to do so, then it’s a no brainer they took the Vegas deal.

I also don’t think Calgary could have gave him 9.5

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Just listened to Brian Burke interview on the Fan, he had a very good "guess" (I'm assuming to he knows more than he can admit so he calls it a guess) he said a couple things ..

1) Valimaki was a non starter --Dube/Kyllington likely were in play but not for rental 

2)There was no way BT was giving a Max term nearly 10M to a 26 Year old , says he likely spoke with the agent regarding a 5-6 year deal and was told he would only discuss the full 8 years and would not come down in price to get the full term 

so basically, term, $, and Valimaki  killed it ..   and ya , im good with that

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Apparently it was the best offer Ottawa got.

Brannstrom went 1 pick ahead of Valimaki in the draft. If Valimaki was who Ottawa wanted from Calgary and BT was unwilling to do so, then it’s a no brainer they took the Vegas deal.

I also don’t think Calgary could have gave him 9.5

Which I find very odd. It was an open secret that Winnipeg was asking about Stone. In the end, Winnipeg gave up more for Hayes than what Ottawa received for Stone. I would assume that Winnipeg was offering more for Stone.

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Just listened to Brian Burke interview on the Fan, he had a very good "guess" (I'm assuming to he knows more than he can admit so he calls it a guess) he said a couple things ..

1) Valimaki was a non starter --Dube/Kyllington likely were in play but not for rental 

2)There was no way BT was giving a Max term nearly 10M to a 26 Year old , says he likely spoke with the agent regarding a 5-6 year deal and was told he would only discuss the full 8 years and would not come down in price to get the full term 

so basically, term, $, and Valimaki  killed it ..   and ya , im good with that

Ah, so that might have scared Winnipeg away too. $9.5 seems a little high. 

Archived