I couldn't find a separate thread for this prospect, so I thought that I would start one.

Calgary Flames prospect Mathias Emilio Pettersen has been named the NCHC's Rookie Of The Month for October.

The Denver University freshman has helped lead the Pioneers to a 3-0-1 start with his team-high 8 points.

He was drafted by Calgary in the 6th round (167 overall) of the 2018 draft.

Pettersen is a 5' 10", 170 lb LH center who was drafted out of the USHL after scoring 14 goals + 32 assists = 46 points in 60 games.

Here is one scouting report:

Future Considerations - Ranked 156th overall

A quality forward, he is a decent skater, showing great agility and quickness on his edges. For his size, though, he lacks great foot speed. Yet he owns deceptive speed. With quick acceleration he makes opponents miss with stick and body checks. His hands, too, are very good, so he's elusive, with the ability to weave in and out of traffic. He can make defenders look silly at times with simple stickhandlng and stop-and-go stunts. His puckhandling ability is elite. With confidence, he carries the puck through traffic and he can make highlight-reel moves in one-on-one situations. Off the rush, he is very dangerous. His array of shots is powerful and quick. His puck movement and vision are impressive. He can uncover tight passing lanes and find the tape of a teammate's stick. Defensively, too, he excels. He's fearless in board battles. His compete and energy levels make him an effective defender because he wants the puck back on this stick. No surprise, he's an eager counterattacker. He's a consistent - and versatile - presence. He's extremely strong with the puck on his stick or when putting the body on the opposition - and also when someone is trying to shove him around. He owns an enticing package - shot, vision, skill, compete - that, no doubt, would help an NHL team, especially if he can physically mature.

Here's a longer one from SB Nation:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/6/12/17450370/mathias-emilio-pettersen-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I couldn't find a separate thread for this prospect, so I thought that I would start one.

Calgary Flames prospect Mathias Emilio Pettersen has been named the NCHC's Rookie Of The Month for October.

The Denver University freshman has helped lead the Pioneers to a 3-0-1 start with his team-high 8 points.

He was drafted by Calgary in the 6th round (167 overall) of the 2018 draft.

Pettersen is a 5' 10", 170 lb LH center who was drafted out of the USHL after scoring 14 goals + 32 assists = 46 points in 60 games.

Here is one scouting report:

Future Considerations - Ranked 156th overall

A quality forward, he is a decent skater, showing great agility and quickness on his edges. For his size, though, he lacks great foot speed. Yet he owns deceptive speed. With quick acceleration he makes opponents miss with stick and body checks. His hands, too, are very good, so he's elusive, with the ability to weave in and out of traffic. He can make defenders look silly at times with simple stickhandlng and stop-and-go stunts. His puckhandling ability is elite. With confidence, he carries the puck through traffic and he can make highlight-reel moves in one-on-one situations. Off the rush, he is very dangerous. His array of shots is powerful and quick. His puck movement and vision are impressive. He can uncover tight passing lanes and find the tape of a teammate's stick. Defensively, too, he excels. He's fearless in board battles. His compete and energy levels make him an effective defender because he wants the puck back on this stick. No surprise, he's an eager counterattacker. He's a consistent - and versatile - presence. He's extremely strong with the puck on his stick or when putting the body on the opposition - and also when someone is trying to shove him around. He owns an enticing package - shot, vision, skill, compete - that, no doubt, would help an NHL team, especially if he can physically mature.

Here's a longer one from SB Nation:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/6/12/17450370/mathias-emilio-pettersen-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

That description sounds like Hudler.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He has a cool Flames link to him as well. Been a fan since he was 10 growing up in Norway.

He, Posposil and Zavgorodniy are members of their last draft class off to good starts offensively so far this year. 

I would really like us to expand importance on drafting Europe. Not solely drafting from Europe, but getting more scouts there so we can find a Pastranak, or a Kuznetsov. We’ve done ok, but can their be stars post 1st round?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't not notice what Petterson has done so far this year. The type of numbers he is putting up and the impact he's having point strongly that he's more likely to be an NHL player than not. Exciting stuff for such a late round pick.

For some further context, Gaudreau was a 1.0 PPG his freshmen year. Jankowski was a 0.53

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Can't not notice what Petterson has done so far this year. The type of numbers he is putting up and the impact he's having point strongly that he's more likely to be an NHL player than not. Exciting stuff for such a late round pick.

For some further context, Gaudreau was a 1.0 PPG his freshmen year. Jankowski was a 0.53

It would be nice to score a homerun with MEP.  I like some of our draft picks, but the college ones seem to be very hit or miss.

He could develop into something.  I don't look so much at JH's freshman numbers because he was a little boy playing grown men, while MEP is fair sized for his height.  

It would be goog to add a high level prospect to the AHL or NHL team.  I believe he could go there directly due to being draft out of USHL.  Probably needs at least another year in college.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Contract shows that Flames think highly of Pettersen.

It also shows the amount of leverage college players have right now.

The way the CBA works for college players is what it is, I think the whole thing is overblown, but there is enough there that the league might have to take a close look at it in the next CBA.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The way the CBA works for college players is what it is, I think the whole thing is overblown, but there is enough there that the league might have to take a close look at it in the next CBA.

With MEP, I think it's a mutual decision.  Flames want to develop him, and MEP feels there is not much left to accomplish in college.

His leverage is really just something extra to get to make up for walking away from college.

It's fair.

The only part I don't like about the current CBA is a player being allowed to not sign with his drafting teams when he leaves college.

The player should be bound to sign at least a year ELC, if not longer.

Do away with the compensatory pick. 

If they sign before hand, then the leverage is to just throw away college and play sooner.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

With MEP, I think it's a mutual decision.  Flames want to develop him, and MEP feels there is not much left to accomplish in college.

His leverage is really just something extra to get to make up for walking away from college.

It's fair.

The only part I don't like about the current CBA is a player being allowed to not sign with his drafting teams when he leaves college.

The player should be bound to sign at least a year ELC, if not longer.

Do away with the compensatory pick. 

If they sign before hand, then the leverage is to just throw away college and play sooner.

No player has to sign with the team that drafts them, its just that CHL players have to go back into the draft if they don't sign.

Thats the big difference college players get to become UFA's where CHL players have to go back through the draft.

MEP leveraged the fact that he is a college player to get a better ELC. I am not mad about it, I say power to him. I think its a mix between Calgary thinking highly of him and not wanting another Adam Fox situation.

At the end of the deal I am happy to have him under contract and excited to see what he can do. 

I think Stockton is going to be a very deep and skilled team, but very young, next year.

The Flames have drafted really well lately, they've really hit on late round picks the last few years.

Mangiapane- 6th rounder, legit top 6 forward

Phillips- 6th rounder, had a really good AHL season, he will see NHL time

Zavgorodny- 7th rounder, dominant junior, looks to be a late round steal

Wolf- 7th rounder, If he's 2 inches taller, he's picked early second like Carter Hart was. Excellent pick

And finally, MEP, the man of the hour. 6th rounder. Incredibly skilled. Probably needs a little time in Stockton, I thought he might play one more year in college, but it will be exciting to watch him in Stockton. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Possible. I mean every college player has more leverage as they have a fall back plan that CHL players don't really have so by nature they do but I think that's justified personally. I'm not sure the UFA rule after 4 years is much leverage for Petterson given he was 2 years away. 

There is also quite a bit of buzz right now that NCAA is leaning towards cancelling athletics for the foreseeable future. May be a case of the Flames not wanting to risk him not having a place to play next year. 

It's also a really small difference. The minors salary is standardized and he only got 8K more in signing bonus than Ruzicka did (4th rounder). There is just more upside for Petterson here if he makes the NHL which I don't think he does for at least 2 years. 

41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

No player has to sign with the team that drafts them, its just that CHL players have to go back into the draft if they don't sign.

Thats the big difference college players get to become UFA's where CHL players have to go back through the draft.

MEP leveraged the fact that he is a college player to get a better ELC. I am not mad about it, I say power to him. I think its a mix between Calgary thinking highly of him and not wanting another Adam Fox situation.

At the end of the deal I am happy to have him under contract and excited to see what he can do. 

I think Stockton is going to be a very deep and skilled team, but very young, next year.

That might be a good way to alter it. Maybe they have to declare by end of May or something and get thrown back into the draft and teams have to re-draft them? I forget who I hear in an interview recently and they were drafted at age 24 or 26 or something like that? It was around when teams were like 21 teams? or prior to? 

Technically the rule is actually the same for both CHL and college players in terms of hitting UFA status. The difference is the timeline matches up perfectly to the college route where you will lose your CHL eligibility before you hit UFA. Further complicated by the fact the NCAA provides these guys from signing any type of contract, even futures, you have the situation you have now. 

As I've said before I see no reason to alter it. It such limited cases where a team has been burned by it and I think it is reasonable that players/prospects have some say in the process. 

Archived