On 4/30/2020 at 10:45 AM, cross16 said:

Technically the rule is actually the same for both CHL and college players in terms of hitting UFA status. The difference is the timeline matches up perfectly to the college route where you will lose your CHL eligibility before you hit UFA. Further complicated by the fact the NCAA provides these guys from signing any type of contract, even futures, you have the situation you have now. 

As I've said before I see no reason to alter it. It such limited cases where a team has been burned by it and I think it is reasonable that players/prospects have some say in the process. 

I guess... it's kind of the same situation drafting Russian players especially in the mid-rounds.  Chances are good they decide to never come over to NA or, they decide to come over after they turn UFA and then only sign with the Rangers or something.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:05 AM, The_People1 said:

I guess... it's kind of the same situation drafting Russian players especially in the mid-rounds.  Chances are good they decide to never come over to NA or, they decide to come over after they turn UFA and then only sign with the Rangers or something.

I just think if a player is motivated they'll find a way to make it happen rules or no rule. Neither Eric Lindross nor Tim Erixon had those rules available to them and they still forced a way to go somewhere else or where they wanted to go. I just don't think altering the rules is really going to do much because at the end of the day the issue the what motivates the player not the "loopholes". This "loophole" that bothers people was actually altered after Mike Van Ryn used a different one to become a free agent earlier. Players and agents will always find a way if the motivation is truly there. 

I also thikn there should be some onus on teams and organizations to create  culture and an organization that people want to play for. I don't believe in restrictive/draconian rules that allow teams to get away with mistakes. 

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I just think if a player is motivated they'll find a way to make it happen rules or no rule. Neither Eric Lindross nor Tim Erixon had those rules available to them and they still forced a way to go somewhere else or where they wanted to go. I just don't think altering the rules is really going to do much because at the end of the day the issue the what motivates the player not the "loopholes". This "loophole" that bothers people was actually altered after Mike Van Ryn used a different one to become a free agent earlier. Players and agents will always find a way if the motivation is truly there. 

I also thikn there should be some onus on teams and organizations to create  culture and an organization that people want to play for. I don't believe in restrictive/draconian rules that allow teams to get away with mistakes. 

I think creating culture in an organization is part of it. The one thing a team can't change, unless they relocate, is the city they play in. The team can't change the city culture, which I think is a big part of it for a lot of those players. Players want to play for winners, but they also want to play in a city that is desirable to live in. A lot of players pick NY, LA, ANH, SJ, TBL, VGK, Etc. They're cities with international appeal or the quality of living is at a different level (beaches, warmth).

I am happy this kid signed. I hope he's another later round find for this team.  

Archived