Dmitry Zavgorodniy

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, he looked like a goal scorer here.

2 years out, perhaps.

I vote we just call him Silk.

Spare us constant spelling mistakes.:lol:

Smooth skating, and that shot. He uses the stick like a whip, the way it's supposed to be. He doesn't shoot it, he whips it. Hardest thing for goalies to read.

He's got a bright future imho.

If Gaudreau would use his stick like that when he shoots, he'd be a 40g/70a guy.

If Bennett could do it, he'd be on the 1st line.

We only have Mony that understands it. Silk does it even better imho.

I've always been a big fan of that. Don't shoot it, whip it. Any oldtimer will tell you that. It's not a big heavy instrument, it's a slingshot.

Somebody must have told Silk that at an early age, he's got it down.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I vote we just call him Silk.

Spare us constant spelling mistakes.:lol:

Smooth skating, and that shot. He uses the stick like a whip, the way it's supposed to be. He doesn't shoot it, he whips it. Hardest thing for goalies to read.

He's got a bright future imho.

If Gaudreau would use his stick like that when he shoots, he'd be a 40g/70a guy.

If Bennett could do it, he'd be on the 1st line.

We only have Mony that understands it. Silk does it even better imho.

I've always been a big fan of that. Don't shoot it, whip it. Any oldtimer will tell you that. It's not a big heavy instrument, it's a slingshot.

Somebody must have told Silk that at an early age, he's got it down.

It's almost like a lacrosse thing.  Mony played it, so he knows.

The other shot I really like (can;t think of too many that use it anymore) is the snap shot.

Gaudreau needs to do something with his shot.  

He scores by wiring a puck into a traffic zone where the goalie can;t react in time, not with the fling at the near side top corner.

Sorry, but you are going to have to cut to the middle to score like that.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's almost like a lacrosse thing.  Mony played it, so he knows.

The other shot I really like (can;t think of too many that use it anymore) is the snap shot.

Gaudreau needs to do something with his shot.  

He scores by wiring a puck into a traffic zone where the goalie can;t react in time, not with the fling at the near side top corner.

Sorry, but you are going to have to cut to the middle to score like that.

I wonder, like baseball has a batting coach, do we have a shooting coach?

We miss the net a lot.

I know a 75 yr old that would be perfect. lol

He's musty and he's crusty, but he still has an accurate 60mph wrister at his age.

We always think we're advanced and know better now, across the board regardless of industry.

I'd argue that. We're leaving a lot behind, including learning from our elderly and letting them ride into the sunset.

With all of that knowledge lost, because we've got it all figured out...

More and more, Russians are the superstars in the NHL. Because they are taught the old way, imho.

When Zavgorodniy scored the two goals in that one preseason game, I thought it was Dube.  But no.  Zavgorodniy has the ability to sneak behind D and find open space.  Quick release, like we say if Gaudreau can shoot like that he'd be a 40-70 guy... Or in other words, if Gaudreau can shoot the puck, then he'd be Kucherov.

He seems like a clutch finisher.  I hope he can bulk up and build strength.  Will definitely be keeping an eye on him because no player is higher risk high reward in the Flames system.

I noticed the 960 guys just started being aware of his current stats...hmmmB)

You're right peeps, he also created some other chances. I had no idea who he was, but tracking him now that I've seen him play.

Whichever of our scouts can be credited for Silk in the 7th rd, I'm a big fan.

He may not make it to the bigs, but this is what you do in the 7th round.

And you keep it quiet.

Seeing scouts at arenas is like a private club of backslappers.

I know a couple and have vocalized my disdain for the self-centered, "I'm a hockey guru" arrogance associated with it.

We're all hockey gurus, lol.

Zavgorodniy is now atop the Q in pts at 7/10 17pts in 9 games.

A lot of kids come out of their 1st NHL camp with a lot of positives and the pedal to the metal like he's doing now. Just a question of if he comes down from earth from that positive experience or if this is just the player he is.

My jury is out, most definitely.  But I am very intrigued by his shot and speed. He's a good passer for a jr, but that'll need to get sharper at the pro level.

Higher tempos are his forte, but what happens when that doesn't happen, he'll need to work on a

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I noticed the 960 guys just started being aware of his current stats...hmmmB)

You're right peeps, he also created some other chances. I had no idea who he was, but tracking him now that I've seen him play.

Whichever of our scouts can be credited for Silk in the 7th rd, I'm a big fan.

He may not make it to the bigs, but this is what you do in the 7th round.

And you keep it quiet.

Seeing scouts at arenas is like a private club of backslappers.

I know a couple and have vocalized my disdain for the self-centered, "I'm a hockey guru" arrogance associated with it.

We're all hockey gurus, lol.

Zavgorodniy is now atop the Q in pts at 7/10 17pts in 9 games.

A lot of kids come out of their 1st NHL camp with a lot of positives and the pedal to the metal like he's doing now. Just a question of if he comes down from earth from that positive experience or if this is just the player he is.

My jury is out, most definitely.  But I am very intrigued by his shot and speed. He's a good passer for a jr, but that'll need to get sharper at the pro level.

Higher tempos are his forte, but what happens when that doesn't happen, he'll need to work on a

Well he also plays with Alexis Lafreniere who is a phenom in his own right and is projected to be the #1 pick in two or three years.  So in that sense, Zavgorodniy stats may be slightly inflated.

Still, it's not about the stats as much as it's about how he plays, how he sneaks behind the D undetected, and how quick a release he has.  He sees the ice at an elite level and at 5'-9" was passed over by teams almost certainly because of his size.  But this is the new NHL.  He has a chance.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well he also plays with Alexis Lafreniere who is a phenom in his own right and is projected to be the #1 pick in two or three years.  So in that sense, Zavgorodniy stats may be slightly inflated.

Still, it's not about the stats as much as it's about how he plays, how he sneaks behind the D undetected, and how quick a release he has.  He sees the ice at an elite level and at 5'-9" was passed over by teams almost certainly because of his size.  But this is the new NHL.  He has a chance.

Actually I believe that I read he's on his own line.

And he's exploding there.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Actually I believe that I read he's on his own line.

And he's exploding there.

If so, then that's interesting.  Rimouski sure has a good program there pumping out superstars.  I hope Zavgorodniy can surprise everybody and make a difference in the NHL.  

RHS RW with high end skill.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If so, then that's interesting.  Rimouski sure has a good program there pumping out superstars.  I hope Zavgorodniy can surprise everybody and make a difference in the NHL.  

RHS RW with high end skill.  

From an FN article on Monday:

Zavgorodniy had multi-point games in all four of his outings this week, including a hat trick. Interestingly enough, Rimouski has appeared to break up Zavgorodniy and 2020 superstar Alexis Lafreniere, which is a testament to the Flames prospect’s dominance this week. The two were only on the ice together for two of Zav’s 10 points this weekend. It could be a blip, but if it isn’t, that’s very exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Flames 2018 seventh round selection Dmitry Zavgorodniy has had an exceptional season thus far, exploding for 22 points in 14 games, good for second in QMJHL scoring. He’s getting some recognition for his good work, being named to Russia’s team for the upcoming CHL-Russia series.

Since Zavgorodniy is a QMJHLer, he will only appear in the two games team Russia plays against the Q. He’ll be in action Nov. 13 and 15 at 5 p.m., likely broadcasted on Sportsnet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Zavgorodny is off to a great start in the Q 36 points in 18 games. 

He had 2 goals and 2 assists tonight against the QMJHL.

Hopefully he makes team Russia this year.

I wtched some of the game.

He had a really nice goal at the end of the period.

Seemed to be flyng all night.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived