Calgary Flames Offense

Going4TheCup

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk is a goalscorer.  10 on the PP.  Those are mostly tip-ins and within 2 feet of the net.

Given more time on the PP, he can absolutely get that.  In a condensed season he managed 24 when he linemates struggled.

JH has more chances that he doesn't bury.  Reminds me of Byron and his missed breakaway chances.

All he has to do is connect on 50% of those and he gets an additional 10 goals in a season.

Whether it's Neal or Lindholm or Tkachuk on the top line, more opportunities will come for JH to score.

The other side of that is whomever plays there will see an increase of 5-10 goals, just based on the passing of JH.

My hope is that the top line doesn't account for close to 50% of the scoring.  The benefit would be more secondary scoring.

I wouldn't disagree with any of this. Tkachuk is both but many forget the playmaker he is as well. Backlund and Lindholm could be benefactors for increased production. Tkachuk with Gaudreau and Monahan is a thought that never materializes IMO. I think BT went and paid for Neal for the very reason of having him replace Ferland on our top line. Neal's presence should free up some space for Gaudreau to do his thing more effectively. Monahan does what he does which is score goals. We should see the scoring effort more evenly distributed.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

One thing that was pointed out recently was that Neal has got the majority of his 20 goal seasons as a 2nd liner. It’s very consistent, so I wonder if he is capable of more on a first line, or if he needs to play against the 2nd best D pairings. 

He has played on a lot of good teams so I can't say whether this is a thing or not. All I can say is I think he is a better fit with Gaudreau and Monahan than Tkachuk and Backlund.

19 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

He has played on a lot of good teams so I can't say whether this is a thing or not. All I can say is I think he is a better fit with Gaudreau and Monahan than Tkachuk and Backlund.

Why is he a better fit with those two? Is it because he and Tkachuk are similar players? Is it just because you want to spread that throughout the lineup?

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Why is he a better fit with those two? Is it because he and Tkachuk are similar players? Is it just because you want to spread that throughout the lineup?

Neal works the boards very well and is tenacious with the puck which neither of the other two are any good at. Plus he is a pure sniper which will cause defenses to guard thus freeing up the other two more often. The reason I like Backlund and Lindholm with Tkachuk is twofold, enhanced offense possibly but two skaters that will keep that line strong defensively.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya, Gaudreau isn't a finisher.  He's a magician playmaker but 35-goals is probably his ceiling.  Unless, he develops perimeter shooting abilities but we haven't seen it.  That's one of the big differences between Gaudreau and someone like Kucherov or Kane. 

Given the right linemates, Gaudreau could hit 75-assists.  

Isn't currently a finisher.

He takes too many low danger shots from the left wing where the angle only leaves top corner near side.

He hasn;t been using the backhand on his breakaways.  He tries to tuck it under the 5 hole.

All he has to do is change it up a bit.  

Attack from the RW side.

Have 3 good moves and a selection of shots to use.

He does have a decent shot, not hard but accurate.  If he trained a bit more in the summer, he would be able to put some velocity on them. 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Isn't currently a finisher.

He takes too many low danger shots from the left wing where the angle only leaves top corner near side.

He hasn;t been using the backhand on his breakaways.  He tries to tuck it under the 5 hole.

All he has to do is change it up a bit.  

Attack from the RW side.

Have 3 good moves and a selection of shots to use.

He does have a decent shot, not hard but accurate.  If he trained a bit more in the summer, he would be able to put some velocity on them. 

Ya I would like to see some snipe abilities develop.  Right now he's mainly scoring on the rush.  Once the cycle starts and he has no space and he can't get in close.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I would like to see some snipe abilities develop.  Right now he's mainly scoring on the rush.  Once the cycle starts and he has no space and he can't get in close.

I think we have seen Gaudreau be successful in all aspects of scoring since he has been a Flame. Yes last year he was snake bit on some breakaways but let's not forget how reliable is 3 on 3 and shoot outs over the years.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think we have seen Gaudreau be successful in all aspects of scoring since he has been a Flame. Yes last year he was snake bit on some breakaways but let's not forget how reliable is 3 on 3 and shoot outs over the years.

If he can snipe from just inside the blueline like very very few can, then we see 40-goals+.

9 hours ago, JA_Boomer said:

I don't think this is cautious at all. 285 goals? You have 14 of the 18 players exceeding their goal total from last season. I think rather, this is the best case scenario.

You are right,it’s just a ballpark I did for easy math. 

In reality I think Gio is the only D to hit the goal total I listed, I just went with 5 for most of the guys because it makes for easier math than saying 3 for Kulak and 4 for Stone for example 

With a better RWer with JG-Mony, and IF healthy all season, I have no problem pegging Monahan for 40 goals this year.

Honestly, even taking off the homer glasses, he should be Top 5 in the league for goals.

The compounding injuries last year really saw him tail off last year. Up to that point, he was riding some pretty large "on pace for" numbers.

I don't think his scoring prowess has topped out yet.

He should start throwing up some 40's seasons, imho.

One aside, he IS my favourite Flames, so there is that.

And I'll keep reiterating, he doesn't need Lindholm to take his off-hand draws, Backlund does.

Mony said himself that he was basically taking one handed draws for a big chunk of last year, which is insane that he kept the numbers respectable.

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

With a better RWer with JG-Mony, and IF healthy all season, I have no problem pegging Monahan for 40 goals this year.

Honestly, even taking off the homer glasses, he should be Top 5 in the league for goals.

The compounding injuries last year really saw him tail off last year. Up to that point, he was riding some pretty large "on pace for" numbers.

I don't think his scoring prowess has topped out yet.

He should start throwing up some 40's seasons, imho.

One aside, he IS my favourite Flames, so there is that.

And I'll keep reiterating, he doesn't need Lindholm to take his off-hand draws, Backlund does.

Mony said himself that he was basically taking one handed draws for a big chunk of last year, which is insane that he kept the numbers respectable.

I agree with your thinking on Monahan. With respect to Lindholm the point you make about Backlund is another reason Lindholm should be with him.

21 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think Gaudreau will have a break out year in regards to goals scored this season and thank goodness the NHL called all those slashing penalties last year because I am pretty sure that the slashing penalty prevented some injuries. I was so mad when Gaudreau got his hand broken by Staal when it happened the season before last season by a slash.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Would have been nice if they made it like the rookie tourneys.

Ya even if 3 teams went, you can play them twice each.  Right now it's two games and gain jet lag.  That's the worst possible preseason to start a season.

I'm hoping the NHL pays the Flames extra for this... And we put the money towards a new arena (ya right).

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya even if 3 teams went, you can play them twice each.  Right now it's two games and gain jet lag.  That's the worst possible preseason to start a season.

I'm hoping the NHL pays the Flames extra for this... And we put the money towards a new arena (ya right).

I agree. It would be nice if there was actual talks about a new arena with the government.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I agree completely. The only positive I can find is that they can get out of the camera eye here, and hopefully have access to all the icetime they want there.

I wonder when they'll fly out. Hopefully like the 10th or 11th and start practicing and keep the sightseeing to a minimum.

Last year it was the Kings and Canucks but the games were a week later.

LA started the season 4-0-1 and Van 2-2-1.

So let's hope that will be a trend.

Last year was the first year in China.

The whole, "it's an awesome opportunity to see China". You Blockchaining social retards make millions and can see China whenever you like on your own dime.

But then again, most NHLers for the last 20-odd years don't even know how to pick up a tab.

Sad, but true.

But I digress...

Calgary’s offense will be a little better than last year. I don’t believe Hanifin will replace Hamilton’s numbers last year. Lindholm may equal Ferland’s numbers and Neal should make Calgary more potent than Brouwer/Versteeg et al. I’m excited to see what this line up will yield. I still feel we are lacking in goal scoring compared to cup contenders, however, it should be enough to challenge for a playoff spot. Add another first line scoring winger (if we had one Monahan could score 40) and another prolific scoring d man and then we can compete for a top seed in the regular season. This line up should be able to score more than 250 goals for the year. 280 would be a high point unless someone has a breakout year.

8 hours ago, 7wit said:

Calgary’s offense will be a little better than last year. I don’t believe Hanifin will replace Hamilton’s numbers last year. Lindholm may equal Ferland’s numbers and Neal should make Calgary more potent than Brouwer/Versteeg et al. I’m excited to see what this line up will yield. I still feel we are lacking in goal scoring compared to cup contenders, however, it should be enough to challenge for a playoff spot. Add another first line scoring winger (if we had one Monahan could score 40) and another prolific scoring d man and then we can compete for a top seed in the regular season. This line up should be able to score more than 250 goals for the year. 280 would be a high point unless someone has a breakout year.

This season will be interesting and exciting.  Haven't we already added 2 first line scoring wingers and have added 1 and potentially 3 scoring D?

Archived