Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I don't see Ellis as a comparable to Hanifin.

All of Ellis's new 8 year contract is for UFA years.

His 2nd contract was only a 5 X $2.5M deal.

Hanifin is just coming off of his ELC and has no arbitration rights.

A max 8 year contract would buy only 4 UFA seasons.

Any idea on how much Hanafin may want per year and for how many years? I am assuming the Flames are going to sign for a long term contract :)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

Any idea on how much Hanafin may want per year and for how many years? I am assuming the Flames are going to sign for a long term contract :)

I read he is looking for a 5 year term. Don't know what asking price is or if that 5 yrs is also 5+ or not. The discussion on fan960 said he should be in the 8 years 5.5 range. (give or take)

4 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I read he is looking for a 5 year term. Don't know what asking price is or if that 5 yrs is also 5+ or not. The discussion on fan960 said he should be in the 8 years 5.5 range. (give or take)

When I listened to one of the recorded shows on the fan, they were comparing him to Hamilton. They were saying he couldn’t get a Hamilton contract because even though numbers are similar, the players were used in completely different situations. Hanifin was sheltered a lot more. 

Maybe the percentage of cap brings him to that 5.5 now? 

9 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

That would be like a Larkin type deal so would bring the value down in only buying 1 UFA year.

No way he's getting $5 on a 5, likely 4.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

As for Larkin, the Wings took some heat on that deal. He's a Michigan boy, I can understand how they would keep the relationship on an even keel with him.

He's the closest thing they have to a franchise player.

I can also understand why the climate seems to be changing and the kids want to hit UFA dollars in their prime as the $$s just keep going up. They don't want to be "bargains" in their prime.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That would be like a Larkin type deal so would bring the value down in only buying 1 UFA year.

No way he's getting $5 on a 5, likely 4.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

As for Larkin, the Wings took some heat on that deal. He's a Michigan boy, I can understand how they would keep the relationship on an even keel with him.

He's the closest thing they have to a franchise player.

I can also understand why the climate seems to be changing and the kids want to hit UFA dollars in their prime as the $$s just keep going up. They don't want to be "bargains" in their prime.

5 for 4.5M seems to be a popular set of numbers for BT to use.

23 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Mid we went on a 7 year deal I could possibly go to 5.25 per.

I would be fine with doing that for a few reasons. First of all, this deal will set the benchmark going forward as the team replaces Giordano, brodie and Hamonic. The future will come fast over the next 3years with Valimaki, Andersson and a few others.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:06 AM, robrob74 said:

Mid we went on a 7 year deal I could possibly go to 5.25 per.

The comps are out there for short term and long term deals:

Skjei - 6 x $5.25

Montour - 2 x $3.3875m

Edmundson - 1 x $3m

For me two years is not smart.  Too many UFA's then.

Three years doesn;t buy any UFA years.

Four years bumps into UFA status.

Five years should be relatively cheap, but buys one UFA year.

IMHO, you go max term while you can buy those years cheap.

By year 5, that price will seem like a bargain, based on the cap increases and subsequent salary demands.

If you can get 7 x $5.25m, you do it. 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The comps are out there for short term and long term deals:

Skjei - 6 x $5.25

Montour - 2 x $3.3875m

Edmundson - 1 x $3m

For me two years is not smart.  Too many UFA's then.

Three years doesn;t buy any UFA years.

Four years bumps into UFA status.

Five years should be relatively cheap, but buys one UFA year.

IMHO, you go max term while you can buy those years cheap.

By year 5, that price will seem like a bargain, based on the cap increases and subsequent salary demands.

If you can get 7 x $5.25m, you do it. 

I agree, go for the max term. The team will need to start replacing defensemen in 3 years time if not sooner. Hanifin will be a good one.

IF Czarnik can take the next step, I'd be tempted to try to make up 3rd & 4th lines that could effectively play equal minutes per game:

Bennett (LW/C) - Jankowski (C) - Czarnik (RW)

Frolik (LW/C/RW) - Ryan (C/RW) - Lazar (C/RW/Hathaway (RW)

If not, I'm left with:

Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

Magiapane (LW/C) - Ryan - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway

OR

Bennett - Ryan - Lazar/Hathaway

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway 

Edit:

I suppose that you could move Ryan to RW and try:

Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan

Frolik - Lazar - Czarnik/Hathaway

OR

Mangiapne - Frolik - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway

I feel that this would make for a great 3rd line, but leaves me with concerns for the 4th.

Bennett must be pumped that he's not going to have to play with Brouwer, though they were good in pre-season together.

I hope Sam can do something this year.

We've been making excuses for him for the last few years.

He never seemed to gain the trust to be a center.

He's had a poor selection of players to play with, but when he's had said good players, he hasn't raided the bar.

His best season was playing with Backlund and Frolik, but that was years ago.

I will say this.  There was little patience allowed for lines to gel last season.  If it didn;t work for 2 games, it was usually scrapped.

Whatever Sam is this season, I do hope they give him some time to work out the kinks with his linemates.

He could be a gem.

Or fool's gold.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

IF Czarnik can take the next step, I'd be tempted to try to make up 3rd & 4th lines that could effectively play equal minutes per game:

Bennett (LW/C) - Jankowski (C) - Czarnik (RW)

Frolik (LW/C/RW) - Ryan (C/RW) - Lazar (C/RW/Hathaway (RW)

If not, I'm left with:

Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

Magiapane (LW/C) - Ryan - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway

OR

Bennett - Ryan - Lazar/Hathaway

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway 

Edit:

I suppose that you could move Ryan to RW and try:

Frolik - Lazar - Czarnik/Hathaway

OR

Mangiapne - Frolik - Czarnik/Lazar/Hathaway

I feel that this would make for a great 3rd line, but leaves me with concerns for the 4th.

There are a number of players that need to take the next step and I don't think you do that just with Czarnick. Make them all earn any graduation but I don't think Czarnick should bump down Frolik to 4th line LW ????? I think all of Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar, Hathaway, Czarnick, Mangiapane, Klimchuk and maybe Ehliz should be battling to make the team and for ice time.

I did begin my post with "IF" and I do agree that ice time should be earned.

Czarnik is not the only player that I have hope for, but he is on a two year, one way contract, so I do expect him to be on the opening roster.

I'm looking forward to seeing what level of player that Ehliz is in training camp.

I do want to see Magiapane, Klimchuk, and Foo to take the next step.

12 hours ago, MAC331 said:

There are a number of players that need to take the next step and I don't think you do that just with Czarnick. Make them all earn any graduation but I don't think Czarnick should bump down Frolik to 4th line LW ????? I think all of Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar, Hathaway, Czarnick, Mangiapane, Klimchuk and maybe Ehliz should be battling to make the team and for ice time.

I think they’re trying to say even the playing time between 3&4 lines. Whichever is going, play them. It forces the whole team to be better as a whole actually. In these cases, line numbers might not even matter. Of course play some to certain matchups, but I think we can have a very even attack. 

I really hope Bennett is just a late bloomer and knocks it out of the park this year. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with all of the players. 

Maybe Czarnik has some qualities that’ll enhance his game?

i think Ryan could be good for him, like you’ve said before. But I don’t agree he is fully like Backlund. He has only 2/3rds the points Backs does. So I just wonder where Bennett will find more offence with a guy like him. Unless we are happy with a 25-35 point Bennett. 

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I did begin my post with "IF" and I do agree that ice time should be earned.

Czarnik is not the only player that I have hope for, but he is on a two year, one way contract, so I do expect him to be on the opening roster.

I'm looking forward to seeing what level of player that Ehliz is in training camp.

I do want to see Magiapane, Klimchuk, and Foo to take the next step.

As do I want to see and expect Czarnick to be on the roster. I see him with Jankowski on the 4th line RW with LW undecided until after camp. I wouldn't mind seeing what a line of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnick could muster up.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think they’re trying to say even the playing time between 3&4 lines. Whichever is going, play them. It forces the whole team to be better as a whole actually. In these cases, line numbers might not even matter. Of course play some to certain matchups, but I think we can have a very even attack. 

I really hope Bennett is just a late bloomer and knocks it out of the park this year. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with all of the players. 

Maybe Czarnik has some qualities that’ll enhance his game?

i think Ryan could be good for him, like you’ve said before. But I don’t agree he is fully like Backlund. He has only 2/3rds the points Backs does. So I just wonder where Bennett will find more offence with a guy like him. Unless we are happy with a 25-35 point Bennett. 

I simply like the fact that Bennett will have two line mates that should enhance his play as well as his confidence which I think he fights with at times. Ryan is not Backlund for sure but he has his own good qualities which may or may not fit well with Ryan, part of what we need to find out.

Ryan played a lot more sheltered than Backlund, fo sure.

If the decision is to play Bennett with Ryan and whomever (Frolik?), then they should be sheltered.

The top line is going to be trotted out to provide scoring, so they may get favorable zone starts and competition, but they will also have to play against the best at times.  Sheltering the 1st and 3rd lines, while playing Backlund and the 4th line gives you that option.  I'm not that worried about Janko as the 4th line C.  He's pretty sound defensively.  And that's what you want, so that even if they get stuck out there against a top line, they can handle it.

Last year, I cringed every time the 4th line was stuck on the ice, especially after an icing.  They iced the puck because they couldn't handle the team, and then were forced to play against a fresh line.  With a younger 4th line, I worry about that less.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ryan played a lot more sheltered than Backlund, fo sure.

If the decision is to play Bennett with Ryan and whomever (Frolik?), then they should be sheltered.

The top line is going to be trotted out to provide scoring, so they may get favorable zone starts and competition, but they will also have to play against the best at times.  Sheltering the 1st and 3rd lines, while playing Backlund and the 4th line gives you that option.  I'm not that worried about Janko as the 4th line C.  He's pretty sound defensively.  And that's what you want, so that even if they get stuck out there against a top line, they can handle it.

Last year, I cringed every time the 4th line was stuck on the ice, especially after an icing.  They iced the puck because they couldn't handle the team, and then were forced to play against a fresh line.  With a younger 4th line, I worry about that less.

Why would we be "sheltering" any line ?

• 2 weeks later...

My expectation for this season are that we have got to be a playoff team, there are no excuses now, Tre has done HIS job this offseason to put together a solid product. Beyond the playoffs it's so hard to predict cause you don't know who you might play, but I think the pieces are there to win a round or two....and beyond that...you never know!

We haven't had the forward depth we have now in possibly decades, the late 2000's we had some decent depth but our bottom 6 would still be plagued with older veterans, we don't really have any dead weight anymore with Brouwer gone, closest to dead weight we have now might be Lazar type player but we have guys ready to take his spot. The fact that our top 6 has Johnny, Mony, Neal, Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm, and our bottom 6 having Jankowski, Bennett, Frolik, Czarnik, Ryan, Hathaway/Lazar is very promising.

Defense is still very solid even with Hamilton leaving, and most importantly could be the locker room issues that were rumored leaving with him.

The only question mark that remains is goaltending, I don't know if Tre can work out a deal for a backup, even if it had to include Stone, but it would be extremely sad to see such a promising season go to waste because Smith goes down and we didn't shore up our backup position and Rittich and Parsons just can't get the job done again.

What has me excited is hearing Neal talk....the man is dead set on winning a cup and came to Calgary cause he thinks we have the pieces, it can't be stated enough how important this mindset could be and could rub off on his teammates.

We have some guys who will thrive in a playoff setting...Tkachuk is bred for the playoffs, Neal has been to the big show numerous times and will know how to lead the younger guys through the intensity of the playoffs, guys like Bennett are also gritty and thrive in a playoff environment, I still get nervous with Johnny, he seems to disappear when things start to get super intense and physical  so the coaching staff is going to have to work with him to learn how to play with his size in that environment and get the job done.....guys like Marty St Louis have done it.

Overall there is LOTS to be excited for this season and I can't wait for the puck to drop!

• 2 weeks later...

From all the prospects the Calgary Flames have who do you expect will make the Calgary Flames Opening night roster? Pollock played great in the two rookie games against  Edmonton, Dube played pretty good and Mangiapane played exceptional in the first game. Do you think Dube has a chance of cracking the roster or do you think Lazar or Hathaway have the upper hand??

2 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

From all the prospects the Calgary Flames have who do you expect will make the Calgary Flames Opening night roster? Pollock played great in the two rookie games against  Edmonton, Dube played pretty good and Mangiapane played exceptional in the first game. Do you think Dube has a chance of cracking the roster or do you think Lazar or Hathaway have the upper hand??

Zero.  BT didn't leave any room for even one rookie to make it.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

While on face value this is true, it assumes that Jankowski and Bennett are guaranteed spots.

I would not necessarily agree with that. 

As of now, zero.  A trade has to happen to open up room. I don't see that trade.  Not saying he won't make a trade but I believe in BT's mind, the team is set.

Archived