Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm just wondering but has anybody's expectations of the Calgary Flames changed so far compared to the beginning of Pre-Season? I think the Flames can make the playoffs in the top 3 in the division IF they play complete games and have solid goaltending. Hopefully the Flames win tonight vs the Buffalo Sabres to go on a winning streak but we will see!

I think we have lost a couple games I didn't expect to.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I still think tops in the Pacific is possible.

Not enough sample to say either way, but if we can have a good home record we will do well.

Also, how we play against the Cali teams.

My concerns will always be in nets.  The other parst of the game are starting to come together.

Assuming that they remember what they did in TO and against WASH.

Getting Jamonic back was key.

Improving the PP is the big thing.

Defense will be fine.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

If the Flames land a dang good backup I have them finishing 2nd/3rd in the Pacific& making it to the WCF but falling to 1 of Wpg., Nashville or St. L as those 3 will probably be the power in the Central.

Without a dang good backup it'll be a sad repeat of the close but no cigar seasons.

All other parts are in place but I can't overstate the value of the backup when the starter is 36 with an injury history enough.

I'm staying with this.

So far Rittich is looking @ least adequate so we'll see.

It's so early in the season that 1 win or loss can see a team rise or drop in division standings by much more than 2 points should. In another month we can start to see trends.

FFS a week ago Montreal & Ottawa were looking like powerhouses according to the standings. :wacko:

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think we have lost a couple games I didn't expect to.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I still think tops in the Pacific is possible.

Not enough sample to say either way, but if we can have a good home record we will do well.

Also, how we play against the Cali teams.

My concerns will always be in nets.  The other parst of the game are starting to come together.

Assuming that they remember what they did in TO and against WASH.

Getting Jamonic back was key.

Improving the PP is the big thing.

Defense will be fine.

It is kind of cool how we have a different opinion. I think the team play in most cases directly affects the goalie. I think a good-great goalie can hide a team’s inefficiencies while a bad - above average goalie will highlight them. 

I think in a lot of cases stats tend to be more reflective of team play. 

Rittich stole a game for us, but he had to be great. Then he lost a game where he was nearly as great but in both cases the team didn’t show. 

In some games, the goalie sucked. And I don’t want to give them a pass either. But in some of those cases you need the team to bail them out as much as when the team is playing poorly you want the goalies to bail the team out. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It is kind of cool how we have a different opinion. I think the team play in most cases directly affects the goalie. I think a good-great goalie can hide a team’s inefficiencies while a bad - above average goalie will highlight them. 

I think in a lot of cases stats tend to be more reflective of team play. 

Rittich stole a game for us, but he had to be great. Then he lost a game where he was nearly as great but in both cases the team didn’t show. 

In some games, the goalie sucked. And I don’t want to give them a pass either. But in some of those cases you need the team to bail them out as much as when the team is playing poorly you want the goalies to bail the team out. 

Unfortuntely, every team is going to have off nights and the goalie has to be the opposite.

Save our bacon when we need saving.

We'll have your back when the goalie is off.

The shutout against the Preds; low danger shots mostly and a lot of them.  Smitty covered the quantity.

The 2nd game against VAN; 20 shots total and 4 goals by the 2nd period.  The forwards came out and got 4 in the 3rd to cover for Smth.

The NY game was a crap show by the team, but Rittich covered the fort.

The rest of the team can only do so much when the goalie lets in so many on so few.

What is EDM without Talbot playing at the top of his game; a lotto team.

ANA is the worst team at exposing their goalie, yet they are still winning games.  12 points in 12 games.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope we can go on another little win streak. We are playing within the division so these games really count. It looks like 5 out of the next 8 games. 

The sharks really shot up the standings quick. Gotta keep pace to go for the division. 

But is the expectation 1st? Or a 2nd or 3rd in the div? 

Keep getting points and play play for the playoffs? Don’t worry about that far ahead?

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 3:50 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm staying with this.

So far Rittich is looking @ least adequate so we'll see.

It's so early in the season that 1 win or loss can see a team rise or drop in division standings by much more than 2 points should. In another month we can start to see trends.

FFS a week ago Montreal & Ottawa were looking like powerhouses according to the standings. :wacko:

You don't think Smith will make a good back up with all is experience and competitiveness ? LOL

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I hope we can go on another little win streak. We are playing within the division so these games really count. It looks like 5 out of the next 8 games. 

The sharks really shot up the standings quick. Gotta keep pace to go for the division. 

But is the expectation 1st? Or a 2nd or 3rd in the div? 

Keep getting points and play play for the playoffs? Don’t worry about that far ahead?

I've come back off the ledge after the PITTS games.

Not worried about the Pacific right now, nor the Sharks or Nucks.

We are 2 points back of the Sharks with a game in hand.

We are 1 point up on the Nucks with 2 games in hand.

After the torrid start, the Nucks have already started to fall back.

You should always play to win your division.

Gives you home ice through the 1st round and possibly the remaining 2 before the SCF.

There's always a battle for the last 2 spots in the Pacific.

Wild card spots will be a big challenge, since the Central is tougher.

Win the division and let everyone else fight for the remaining spots.

It's actually doable this year.

1.5 goalies and we are still sitting at 2nd in the Pacific? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rickross said:

What would happen this off season if the Flames somehow don’t make the playoffs?:wacko:

Is that your expectations?

Have a read, if interested, in this pice by Yost.  It kinda shows the trens of teams that are currently leading in their divisions, etc.

Stats, I know.  It's similar to the Py Chart used elsewhere in this forum, in that it shows what it takes to make the playoffs.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/travis-yost-1.101359 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Is that your expectations?

Have a read, if interested, in this pice by Yost.  It kinda shows the trens of teams that are currently leading in their divisions, etc.

Stats, I know.  It's similar to the Py Chart used elsewhere in this forum, in that it shows what it takes to make the playoffs.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/travis-yost-1.101359 

Not my expectation by any means, just a question. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Not my expectation by any means, just a question. 

Same as last year.  Anything is possible.

We had an amazing run in January last season, up to the mandatory break.

The wheels fell off with Smith after that.

Then he got injured.

Then the team decided defense wasn't important.

Then the backups failed to close the door.

Lots has been learned since last year.

Hanifin is less worried about scoring the big goal as he is about defending.

Lindholm is still as hot as ever, while Ferland tailed off.

Brodie is looking much more comfortable in his current riole, and Gio has taken his offence to a new level.

Still have limited support fom depth forwards on the scoresheet.

Still have issues with the 2nd PP unit; more than last year.

Long winded answer, but we have lots of positive things going on this year.  The team is more cohesive, and the coach is still teaching every day.  A loss to Dallas is a chance to look at what sometimes doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Then he got injured.

Brodie is looking much more comfortable in his current riole, and Gio has taken his offence to a new level.

Long winded answer, but we have lots of positive things going on this year.  The team is more cohesive, and the coach is still teaching every day.  A loss to Dallas is a chance to look at what sometimes doesn't work.

Way better talent throughout with this group of players. The difference is night and day. Rittich is a much better Goalie. The contributions for our rookie defensemen and Hanifin has been huge. We almost have to many good line options with this forward group but this is where BP needs to zero in on who plays best with who yet. Agree that 2nd PP needs work or changes.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Then he got injured.

I really like how Gio has taken off. It shows how a system can highlight someone’s skill and another system can do the opposite 

Under Hartley, Gio had an offensive outburst that everyone thought would continue through GG’s system. While he didn’t fall off the earth, but he didn’t score at the same rate. And he is back up to and above the Hartley years. 

That goes to show the commitment Giordano makes to play a team game as well, a testament to his leadership.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the post SJ game comment that BP told the team earlier that they won’t beat a team like SJ by playing a 30 minute game.

Unlike GG, it lends faith that he sees what we see and doesn’t sugarcoat it.

We’ve got about 6 weeks to nail down consistency. Then we’ll be as good as anyone.

Good coaching, enough roster to have a surprise bag.

I think we’re sitting good.

Always hopeful everyone steps up.

I’m good with being patient, like we haven’t waited long enough for the rain to dissipate.

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Enjoyed the post SJ game comment that BP told the team earlier that they won’t beat a team like SJ by playing a 30 minute game.

Unlike GG, it lends faith that he sees what we see and doesn’t sugarcoat it.

We’ve got about 6 weeks to nail down consistency. Then we’ll be as good as anyone.

Good coaching, enough roster to have a surprise bag.

I think we’re sitting good.

Always hopeful everyone steps up.

I’m good with being patient, like we haven’t waited long enough for the rain to dissipate.

He takes the wins, but never seems 100% satisfied.

Playing for a tie or to not lose, is not an option.

I can;t remember a single loss where he said where we did everything right.

This year there is no question of character.

Somebody goes after our guy, I never hear anyone complaining about not stepping up.

No photo bombs after a win.

The guys are happy but never too big for their britches.

When you see JH a plus player, even with all the times he's on for goals against, you know something has clicked.

Gio and Lindholm are plus minus leaders in the NHL.

The stat doesn;t mean a lot, but much better to see than minus.

The bottom six needs to score more, but we aren;t desperate for scoring (3rd in the league?).

Need to lean upon the bottom pair a bit more, so as not to burn out the top 4.

The good thing is we are still a mostly balanced 3 line attack.

Nobody is McDavid minutes.

The 4th line usually has one player less than 10 minutes, but that's about it.

The 3rd line is beltween 13 and 15 minutes.

Good team.

Actually, one of the best ones I have seen here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, rickross said:

So what is the measure for success this year? We’ve essentially already secured a playoff spot at this point. If we fail to get out of the 1st rd is the season a write off?

I think so, The Flames definitely have the talent to make it past the first round and the coach has high expectations for the team!

6 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I think so, The Flames definitely have the talent to make it past the first round and the coach has high expectations for the team!

Ultimately anything but the Cup is a fail. Realistically speaking it would be a huge disappointment to not get out of the 1st rd, even a 2nd round exit would be a fail imo. I guess conference finals at the minimum for me! We are sitting 2nd overall right now so we should be destined for the Cup Final...right? :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Well the regular season has passed and the Flames finished first in the Western Conference and Division, is anybody surprised. What are you expectations for the playoffs?? For me I believe the Flames can win the Stanley Cup even if they don't have that much playoff experience. Who's going to start in net for the Flames?? I think Mike Smith will get the nod! GO FLAMES GO!

20 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Well the regular season has passed and the Flames finished first in the Western Conference and Division, is anybody surprised. What are you expectations for the playoffs?? For me I believe the Flames can win the Stanley Cup even if they don't have that much playoff experience. Who's going to start in net for the Flames?? I think Mike Smith will get the nod! GO FLAMES GO!

We also finished 2nd as I think we got the ROW that puts us ahead of Boston.

6 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I expected the Flames to make the playoffs at the start of the season but I never thought they'd be 2nd overall.  It's been unreal.

Based on matchups, I do believe the Flames can get to the Finals and as long as we don't face TB, then there's a chance we win it all.

Remember in '04 we had to beat 3 Division winners to  eventually face the President Trophy winning TB in the Finals?

This season, COL is #17 overall and then if we beat them, then we could probably play VGK ranked #16 overall.   Let's not stop there because DAL ranked #15 is in fire and might be so lucky to be our Conference Finals opponent.  The road to the Finals may never be this easy ever again.

Archived