Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Gio, Stone in the box, Hanifin on the ice and Valamaki had just finished a shift. Choice was Prout, double shift Valamaki or Brodie(who doesn't really kill penalties). 

it was not a bad decision it was really the only decision. When you have 3 of your top PKers in the box or injured, this happens. 

That's actually a strange thing to say about Brodie.  Maybe he doesn;t with regularity, but he's quite good at it.  I posted the stats for Brodie's PK in a thread, but can;t find it right now.  Peters did say he wanted size and toughness out there for the 5 on 3.  Overall it didn't lose us the game, so I'm not losing sleep about it.  If Prout stays in and Andersson sits, then I have bigger problems.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Did the decision work out?

Flawed way to judged a decision. Very easy for bad decision to go well well and vice versa. 

It was actually hanifins error, and mike smith, that lead to the goal too so I think the focus on Prout is interesting. 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's actually a strange thing to say about Brodie.  Maybe he doesn;t with regularity, but he's quite good at it.  I posted the stats for Brodie's PK in a thread, but can;t find it right now.  Peters did say he wanted size and toughness out there for the 5 on 3.  Overall it didn't lose us the game, so I'm not losing sleep about it.  If Prout stays in and Andersson sits, then I have bigger problems.

Wasn't an opinion about whether or not he can kill them but it's been a few years now that Brodie really hasn't been much of a PKer. I think when it come to the PK experience matters especially in a new system. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Flawed way to judged a decision. Very easy for bad decision to go well well and vice versa. 

It was actually hanifins error, and mike smith, that lead to the goal too so I think the focus on Prout is interesting. 

It is called trial and error. Been used for centuries as a method of finding out what works and what doesn't.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

it could have well cost us the game.. Vancouver scored with Prout as the only defender between a canuck player and Smith and he didn't lay a friggin hand on him.. Our Defencemen play like damn marshmallows.. There isn't a player in the league that doesn't feel comfortable just standing there in the crease knowing we won't do a thing about it

Shouldn't we blame the guys taking the penalties rather than Prout? Lots of teams score 5-3, regardless of who the 3 are.

In that it was 2 dman, you can't possibly blame Prout or BP's decision-making.

If that had cost us the game, you look at the 2 in the box, no? Can't blame Prout, or any dman, that gets hung out to dry on a 5-on-3.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Shouldn't we blame the guys taking the penalties rather than Prout? Lots of teams score 5-3, regardless of who the 3 are.

In that it was 2 dman, you can't possibly blame Prout or BP's decision-making.

If that had cost us the game, you look at the 2 in the box, no? Can't blame Prout, or any dman, that gets hung out to dry on a 5-on-3.

Prout factored in for 3 of the 4 goals against. Goal number 3 was just a penalty so not a big deal. Goal number 4 was a 5 on 3 so not totally on him. But he looked absolutely lost on goal number 2. 

He just doesn't look like an NHL D-man and I see absolutely no reason to have him in the line up over Andersson. 

I get the nuclear deterrent argument. But how would it have been any different in game one if he is on the active roster? The hit still gets thrown. If he isn't on the ice (likely) it is still Hamonic dropping the gloves. You can't enforce from the bench and you can't force another player to fight. Which is why the role has gone away. 

51 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Prout factored in for 3 of the 4 goals against. Goal number 3 was just a penalty so not a big deal. Goal number 4 was a 5 on 3 so not totally on him. But he looked absolutely lost on goal number 2. 

He just doesn't look like an NHL D-man and I see absolutely no reason to have him in the line up over Andersson. 

I get the nuclear deterrent argument. But how would it have been any different in game one if he is on the active roster? The hit still gets thrown. If he isn't on the ice (likely) it is still Hamonic dropping the gloves. You can't enforce from the bench and you can't force another player to fight. Which is why the role has gone away. 

Hamonic wouldn't have to be the one to step up. BP would have timed it so eventually Prout was on the ice at the same time as Gudbranson. Prout  knows whys hes there, Gudbranson gets to defend his actions, Hamonic isnt sitting out with a broken face. The only thing on anyones mind for game 2 is getting the W.

Which brings up the question. Does anyone know why the hit wasnt reviewed as a hit to the head? Dube went out for concussion protocol and it didnt look much different than Wilsons hit earlier in the week.

34 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Hamonic wouldn't have to be the one to step up. BP would have timed it so eventually Prout was on the ice at the same time as Gudbranson. Prout  knows whys hes there, Gudbranson gets to defend his actions, Hamonic isnt sitting out with a broken face. The only thing on anyones mind for game 2 is getting the W.

Which brings up the question. Does anyone know why the hit wasnt reviewed as a hit to the head? Dube went out for concussion protocol and it didnt look much different than Wilsons hit earlier in the week.

It was cool that Gudbranson owned up to it and said it was a questionable hit and felt bad that Hamonic was out because he was sticking up for his teammate. Though, Gudbranson did get that extra shot in.

37 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Not true. The fight happens right after this hit or it doesn't happen. Hamonic would have dropped the gloves with our without Prout in the bench. 

If you start throwing out Prout to chase down a player all your going to get is a penalty and a goal against. 

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Not true. The fight happens right after this hit or it doesn't happen. Hamonic would have dropped the gloves with our without Prout in the bench. 

If you start throwing out Prout to chase down a player all your going to get is a penalty and a goal against. 

The fight aside, is it really fair to say Prout isn't a NHL defenseman when he is here and played one game ? People were saying the same things about Engelland when he first arrived and looked what he ended up being for us and last season with VEG. Give the guy a chance, we all know who has to go and its Stone.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

The fight aside, is it really fair to say Prout isn't a NHL defenseman when he is here and played one game ? People were saying the same things about Engelland when he first arrived and looked what he ended up being for us and last season with VEG. Give the guy a chance, we all know who has to go and its Stone.

Engelland was an NHL dman. He just made too much money for his role. That is why people complained about the signing. 

Prout is 28 with over 200 games in the NHL. Most of it bouncing between the AHL, NHL, and press box. We know what he is at this point. 

8 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Youre right it has to happen right away. Theres no reason hamonic would need to step up if Prout is dressed. The fight was after Gudbranson served a 2 minute minor. Lots of time to get Prout on. I'm not saying Prout needs to be dressed every game just in case but it would have been different if he was dressed for that game.

11 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Engelland was an NHL dman. He just made too much money for his role. That is why people complained about the signing. 

Prout is 28 with over 200 games in the NHL. Most of it bouncing between the AHL, NHL, and press box. We know what he is at this point. 

We have a GM that disagrees with you given he has compared Prout in the same vein as Engelland. I see no harm in having Prout as our 7th dman on this team.

20 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Given that Peluso is unlikely to get into the lineup with the competition up front, do we keep playing Prout when we face teams like Vancouver? You know, lacklustre teams that need to stir the pot to get 110% out of their losers.

You mean like tonight, where Peluso is in and Janko is out?

If you had your choice between 5 minutes of Peluso and 13 minutes of Prout, which would you choose.  

One plays a position where you are stuck playing him every 3 or 4 minutes.

The other only has to play if you need a tough guy out there.

Keep in mind that Peluso is likely there to police Rinaldo.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mean like tonight, where Peluso is in and Janko is out?

If you had your choice between 5 minutes of Peluso and 13 minutes of Prout, which would you choose.  

One plays a position where you are stuck playing him every 3 or 4 minutes.

The other only has to play if you need a tough guy out there.

Keep in mind that Peluso is likely there to police Rinaldo.

WTF!? Peluso is in while Janko is out!? I have to admit that I am rather ignorant of both Prout and Peluso. I have only actually watch Prout play the one game with Calgary. If I did see him with Columbus etc., I don't remember him. Sportsnet has this paranoia that I might become a Winnipeg fan, and so they go to endless efforts to ensure that I never watch any of their games. So, I don't recall Peluso either. Well, Mike Peluso.

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

WTF!? Peluso is in while Janko is out!? I have to admit that I am rather ignorant of both Prout and Peluso. I have only actually watch Prout play the one game with Calgary. If I did see him with Columbus etc., I don't remember him. Sportsnet has this paranoia that I might become a Winnipeg fan, and so they go to endless efforts to ensure that I never watch any of their games. So, I don't recall Peluso either. Well, Mike Peluso.

Prout played part of last year with NJD and part in Stockton.  Came over in the Lack trade.

The year befopre he played for NJD, AHL and CBJ.

Peluso played 2 games with the CAPS last year and the rest in the AHL.

The year before he was with the Moose in the AHL.

Before that he was a semi-regular in WPG.

Tonight's game isn't on SN.  It's on SN Flames (Shaw extra channel 322 or something like that).

They consider that to be coverage of the games.

Same way they consider SN 360 to be coverage.

You have to normally pay extra for SN 360.

There are certain markets (away games) where they can't show it on SN because of TV rights.

Right now it's World Series playoffs.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Didn't really know where to put this, but some fun facts about the Flames this year:

15th youngest team in the league. Just below the avg. 

10th Tallest

7th "lightest" team in the league. 3 lbs below the league avg

Must be that KETO diet

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering but has anybody's expectations of the Calgary Flames changed so far compared to the beginning of Pre-Season? I think the Flames can make the playoffs in the top 3 in the division IF they play complete games and have solid goaltending. Hopefully the Flames win tonight vs the Buffalo Sabres to go on a winning streak but we will see!

Archived