Prediction Time. Post five predictions for the 18/19 season.

kehatch

1. Tkachuk is second in team scoring.
  2. Jankowski finishes the season as the second line C.
  3. Smith is not the starting goalie at season end.  Neither is Rittich or Gilles. 
  4. The Flames are top 10 in both special teams. 
  5. We get to game six of the second round (and maybe beyond).

Mine are:

1) Mangiapane and Andersson are full time NHL players this season, Stone and Brouwer do not play full seasons with the Flames.

2) Johnny Hockey end up top 5 in league this season

3) Hanifin becomes a stud D-man in Calgary in his first season, surpassing 40 points in offence and a +15

4) Scoring differential end up positive, something around +20

5) We make the playoffs and reach at least the 2nd round

1. BT hits some snags in signing the remaining 5 RFA's and at least 1 gets traded or dropped.

2. Brouwer gets bought out.

3. Flames go internal all season with their goalies, at least 3 start a minimum of 1 game this season.

4. 3 rookies make the China trip but zero rookies make the opening season roster.  

5. Gaudreau is not the top point-getter on the season.

3 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

1. BT hits some snags in signing the remaining 5 RFA's and at least 1 gets traded or dropped.

3. Flames go internal all season with their goalies, at least 3 start a minimum of 1 game this season.

4. 3 rookies make the China trip but zero rookies make the opening season roster.  

Why so negative??

Predicted 2018 headlines

1. Speaking to the media with a smirk on his face, Marc Bergevin explains the trade of Carey Price to Dynamo Moscow for five forwards. Impatiently awaits return.

2. Glen Gulutzan makes his mark during Edmonton practice calling Lucic “a moron” and later referring to him as an “idiot”. Visibly frustrated, Lucic tells reporters, “I don’t understand his instructions at all. I just want to know if he thinks I am a moron or an idiot.”

3. CSEC administrators increase security details after releasing video footage of a man, matching the description of Jim Benning, rummaging through Saddledome dumpsters and running away with garbage. 

4. Gene Principe charged with theft over $5,000 after it is revealed that he secretly steals concession stand butter topping from Rogers Place to style his hair.

5. Al Qaeda terrorist plot to kill Trump foiled as President accompanied by Gary Bettman. Terrorist admits, “I didn’t know who to target”.

1. San Jose wins the Pacific. Calgary finishes 2nd and gets a 1st round matchup against the much improved Arizona Coyotes who finish 3rd.

2. Monahan scores 35+35 for a career high 70 point season.

3. Noah Hanifin establishes himself as our 2nd best D man behind Gio

4. Austin Czarnik proves to be a very good signing scoring 15 goals despite playing up and down the lineup throughout the course of the year. Ultimately he ends up beating out Brouwer.

5. James Neal ends up being the goal scorer we desperately needed, scoring 30 goals. We end up with 2 30 goal scorers (Monahan and Neal) and 4 20 goal scorers, Gaudreau with 28, Tkachuk with 29, Backlund with 21 and Lindholm with 22. Janko, Bennett, Ryan and Frolik approach 20 goals but end up in the 15-19 range

1. We have 2 30+ Goal Scorers (Monahan and Neal)
2. Gaudreau is first in the league in assists
3. Andersson plays 60+ games as the third pair RD/second PP

4. Hanifin puts up 40 points

5. Tkachuk gets suspended at least once

1) By the end of the season Brouwer will be viewed favorably by coaches and fans.   (In Buffalo)

2) Backlund and Frolik each 20+ goals Tkachuk 2nd on team in assists.

3) Gio and Brodie regain their form and become an elite pairing

4) By Mid season Flames are 3rd in goals for but 17th in goals against

5) Hathaway becomes a surprise hit in Pittsburgh

9 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

Why so negative??

Seems like we will be tight to the Cap with an excess of players.  We also have a couple guys who can likely be upgraded by top prospects so this would be an opportunity to perhaps deal with both at the same time.  

Just needs to be done, and I'm hoping WW's intel is solid.

Our prospects need more time to determine what they are, plus there is nothing available that is a definite upgrade.  This season we will find out.

Delicate balancing act for BT to inspire several youth with China but then returning to his normal form and closing the door outside of injuries.

I think a combination of some exciting new combos and less pressure on the top line will better balance out the scoring.  Just a hunch.  

- Gio and Brodie re-united and do fine, not elite but solid 1rst/2nd pairing.  Hanifin and Hamonic duo becomes elite 2nd pairing and pushes for 1rst pairing position.

- Neal winds up on 1rst line giving JG 2 goal scorers to feed to. he then ends season leading league in assists (but he forgets how to shoot and only grabs 15g)

- Lindholm and Tkachuk have instant chemistry and Bennett joins them 1/2 way through season. They become possession guru's and in playoffs take over as "1rst line" pushing us to Western Finals to lose in 7

- Brower finally getting some consistency (not forced up into roles not really suited for) establishes himself, chips in 30 points on season BUT fans all still out for bryout

- McDavid starts season on tear (10 point lead in scoring race), refs finally stop calling people "looking" at him for penalties.  Slumps in 2nd half and finishes 8th in points

1. Flames get off to a bad start, and look out of the picture by mid-november.  Proceed to go on a run and are in 7-8th place in the west by the All-Star Break.

2. Brodie has a bounce-back year, but comes up a bit short of where he was three years ago.  Gio begins to slow down, so this pairing is a passable (but not stellar) top pairing.

3. Hanifin has a slow start to the season, but racks up 25 points in the back half of the season to finish with 35.

4. One of Bennett or Jankowski will not finish the year with the flames, making room for one of Dube, Foo, or Mangiapagne.

5. Troy Brouwer remains on the roster for the entire season.

My predictions:

1. The Flames come back from China on fire. Calgary has one of their best starts in over 10 years.

2. Sean Monahan scores 40+ goals.

3. Johnny Gaudreau posts as many assists as he had points last season (84).

4. David Rittich proves to be a reliable backup for Mike Smith and plays 25+ games.

5. After a rough January, the Flames make the play-offs by finishing 3rd in the Pacific Division.

6. The Flames make it into the 2nd round; but lose the series in game 7, mainly due to untimely injuries to some of their top players.

1. Flames finish 2nd in the Pacific, Oilers 3rd!

2. J.H.G./Mony/Lindholm

Chuck/Backs/Neal

Benny/Janks/Frolik 

Mangi/Ryan/Foo

Flames line up come playoffs

3. Mony scores 40g, Johnny nets 60 apples. 

4. Benny's breakout season!

5. Valimaki top 3 in Calder voting!

14 hours ago, ABC923 said:

1. Flames get off to a bad start, and look out of the picture by mid-november.  Proceed to go on a run and are in 7-8th place in the west by the All-Star Break.

2. Brodie has a bounce-back year, but comes up a bit short of where he was three years ago.  Gio begins to slow down, so this pairing is a passable (but not stellar) top pairing.

3. Hanifin has a slow start to the season, but racks up 25 points in the back half of the season to finish with 35.

4. One of Bennett or Jankowski will not finish the year with the flames, making room for one of Dube, Foo, or Mangiapagne.

5. Troy Brouwer remains on the roster for the entire season.

Only one thing positive in the whole bunch?

All those changes and end up exactly where we were last season.

We lose a good young player but manage to have a full year of Brouwer?

Hey, I get that it's a prediction, but ......

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Only one thing positive in the whole bunch?

All those changes and end up exactly where we were last season.

We lose a good young player but manage to have a full year of Brouwer?

Hey, I get that it's a prediction, but ......

Most are not what I would call negative.  A slow start followed by a strong recovery speaks to a rollercoaster season for fans, but is not a disaster.  I still have them making the playoffs.  Our top pairing being good but not dominant isn't so bad.  Losing a young player on the surface is bad, but it implies a strong showing from someone on the farm to push them out.  The only truly negative prediction is Brouwer, but even then it could be interpreted that he finds his game again and is useful.

I suppose it's a bit of a downer because I haven't predicted huge exciting things, like 100 points for JG or 30g and 80 points for Tkachuk.  But I had my hopes up for a strong season last year, so this year I'm going in with more realistic expectations.

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Most are not what I would call negative.  A slow start followed by a strong recovery speaks to a rollercoaster season for fans, but is not a disaster.  I still have them making the playoffs.  Our top pairing being good but not dominant isn't so bad.  Losing a young player on the surface is bad, but it implies a strong showing from someone on the farm to push them out.  The only truly negative prediction is Brouwer, but even then it could be interpreted that he finds his game again and is useful.

I suppose it's a bit of a downer because I haven't predicted huge exciting things, like 100 points for JG or 30g and 80 points for Tkachuk.  But I had my hopes up for a strong season last year, so this year I'm going in with more realistic expectations.

Janko or Bennett being gone implies that they underperformed and were moved out.

Being 7th or 8th by the All Start Break is fine, except it implies that we are one small losing streak from missing again.

Perhaps you feel different than that.

Not giving you a hard time, just wondering why you had that low opinion of the team.  We addressed our greatest need and didn't downgrade noticeable on the defense.Last year we were a playoff team up till the last month, even with the slow start.  That was a team that included guys like Bart, Stajan, Glass and Stewart.  I hope we are miles ahead of that this year.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Janko or Bennett being gone implies that they underperformed and were moved out.

Being 7th or 8th by the All Start Break is fine, except it implies that we are one small losing streak from missing again.

Perhaps you feel different than that.

Not giving you a hard time, just wondering why you had that low opinion of the team.  We addressed our greatest need and didn't downgrade noticeable on the defense.Last year we were a playoff team up till the last month, even with the slow start.  That was a team that included guys like Bart, Stajan, Glass and Stewart.  I hope we are miles ahead of that this year.

We went from a playoff berth two years ago, added a top 4 defense and a goalie, and on paper looked like a better team last year.  I had high hopes.  So again, we look better on paper this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see the product on the ice this time.  Still feeling burned after last season I guess.

1. We will have four different goalies getting some regular season game action (not as a starter necessarily).

2. Välimäki will score his first NHL goal.

3. Bill Peters will hit PL13 row 17 with his stick.

4. New arena deal will be finalized by the end of February 2019.

5. Flames will finish regular season with 104 points.

Archived