Flames 2018 NHL Draft

The_People1

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

General Question 

Of the first 20, how many do you feel will make the NHL in the next 4 years?

Given the need for ELCs & young talent I expect all 20 to @ least be given a chance. The minimal 10 games for sure.

Well Detroit and the Islanders are far and away the winners of day 1. 

Can't believe Detroit got Zadina, how in the world did he fall to 6? Grabbing Veleno was nice, but every time I think of Veleno the name Angelo Esposito comes to mind. I think Veleno has a better attitude, but he was so highly touted and just never delivered the offense you would expect.

I am really mad that Dobson fell to our pick, he is going to be a top pairing guy. Plus the Islanders got Wahlstrom who has the potential to be a top line RHS RW who can put up 30 goals a year. To get those two guys outside the top 10 is a huge win for them.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Question is...

We could have traded last year’s first in the Hamonic package

Would we rather have Valimaki or Dobson ?

As good as Valimaki is I think Dobson is better.

Seeing Dobson to at our pick makes me feel like when Barzal was available at our pick that we gave to Boston. Both guys are top 5 talent that should have never fallen so far. 

1 hour ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Really think we should move up to try and take akil thomas tomorrow.

We need a player, not a lottery ticket that might show up in 2-3 years.  If BT can get both, great, otherwise on to July 1st and free agency where there are also several good options for just cash...... And after that, some summer trades might be in order.  BTW, yes AThomas sounds good....

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well Detroit and the Islanders are far and away the winners of day 1. 

Can't believe Detroit got Zadina, how in the world did he fall to 6? Grabbing Veleno was nice, but every time I think of Veleno the name Angelo Esposito comes to mind. I think Veleno has a better attitude, but he was so highly touted and just never delivered the offense you would expect.

I am really mad that Dobson fell to our pick, he is going to be a top pairing guy. Plus the Islanders got Wahlstrom who has the potential to be a top line RHS RW who can put up 30 goals a year. To get those two guys outside the top 10 is a huge win for them.

Detroit also has 33 and 36 tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As good as Valimaki is I think Dobson is better.

Seeing Dobson to at our pick makes me feel like when Barzal was available at our pick that we gave to Boston. Both guys are top 5 talent that should have never fallen so far. 

Like BT was saying, the cost to get into the 1st rd is too high.

Maybe he should remember that BEFORE he trades those picks from now on.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Like BT was saying, the cost to get into the 1st rd is too high.

Maybe he should remember that BEFORE he trades those picks from now on.

All these picks look outstanding on draft day, but the reality is nearly 50% will never make any significant impact at all.  Dobson and Wahlstrom look great, I'd take either, but even IF they make it, it'll likely be 2-3 years at least.  Hey, look at the Flames, we've got Lazar, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Klimchuk from 2013(?) that may never amount to anything.  In the meantime, we get 3-4 years of Hamonic.  That's just the way it works.  Hopefully something good happens tomorrow, we need a lift.

6 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Colorado did well getting Grubauer that cheap.

It's the Orpik salary dump that hurts. Eh, they have the cap space to use him as a 5/6 for 1 year.

I wonder how much to re-sign Grubauer.

They also need D so that’s not a terrible deal at all.

15 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

All these picks look outstanding on draft day, but the reality is nearly 50% will never make any significant impact at all.  Dobson and Wahlstrom look great, I'd take either, but even IF they make it, it'll likely be 2-3 years at least.  Hey, look at the Flames, we've got Lazar, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Klimchuk from 2013(?) that may never amount to anything.  In the meantime, we get 3-4 years of Hamonic.  That's just the way it works.  Hopefully something good happens tomorrow, we need a lift.

Those are all late guys you mentioned, but the Isles got a guy who dropped from the Top5 in the draft. 

It’s more like 2-3 years in harmonic than 3-4 unless we sign an extension. If we don’t extend then that is a really bad deal.

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would take Valamki over Dobson personally. I'm not that beat up that he was there. Wahlstrom was the guy that if he made it there would have sucked. 

Well, we already have Valamaki, so it has no bearing on this draft. Would we still have taken Dobson, should it not be BPA anyway because they end up worth more if they pan out? 

Archived