Flames 2018 NHL Draft

The_People1

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can always complain about the individual picks, but I think as a staff the flames are scouting the right way. Continues to be clear they are about speed and skill and they will sacrifice on size if they have to. That's exciting. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

We can always complain about the individual picks, but I think as a staff the flames are scouting the right way. Continues to be clear they are about speed and skill and they will sacrifice on size if they have to. That's exciting. 

Personally I get the feeling that their european scouting is sub par, even though I agree with you that it's good they're looking for speed and skill.

13 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

This isn't exactly a response to your post, only that I am interested in the differences of opinion. It really made me realize that I missed Crzydrvr's take this year. 

Love. 

I agree.  Probably working for someone like DET, since I think he said he was gearing up to doing it for money.  :)

Veleno was ranked 8th in NA skaters.  I was just surprise he went so late.

6 hours ago, cccsberg said:

All of this thinking is relative to your own belief in the potential of each of these guys.  Relative to Central Scouting's list then yes... "my, my" but relative to others, let's say Chayka's then Zadina was hugely over-rated.  If you do a mental exercise and think back over past drafts at, say, the top5 picks every year, how many of those top5 are still top5 in a re-draft of the same players 5-10 years later after they are fully developed?  The answer is ZERO.  

I guess if I was picking top 5, I would have done Zadina over Tkachuk and MTL's pick.  Hard to beat them Mooseheads.  

Hamonic is a top 4 D-man now and for the future.  You have to pay for that.  Maybe I'm less happy with losing a first, but I still believe we have a better player for the next 5 years.  We need a team now, while our top players are still top players.   

I was a little surprised that we didn't draft a goalie today.

We have 3 guys on their way to NCAA, which allows them more development time which is great for late round picks. I am really intrigued by Zavgorodny, small, but has quick feet and quick hands.

Yegor Sokolov didn't get drafted which surprised me a bit, big RHS RW with skill, but is really inconsistent. I wonder if we could get him to come to development camp? 

Because of China we are missing out on the Penticton Tournament.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I was a little surprised that we didn't draft a goalie today.

We have 3 guys on their way to NCAA, which allows them more development time which is great for late round picks. I am really intrigued by Zavgorodny, small, but has quick feet and quick hands.

Yegor Sokolov didn't get drafted which surprised me a bit, big RHS RW with skill, but is really inconsistent. I wonder if we could get him to come to development camp? 

Because of China we are missing out on the Penticton Tournament.

I believe that we can invite undrafted players to our Dev camp in July.

Saw where ARI invited a guy expected to go,

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I believe that we can invite undrafted players to our Dev camp in July.

Saw where ARI invited a guy expected to go,

Yeah we can, usually the players that come are NA, the European players are all back home and don't want to come over for a couple day development camp.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Yeah we can, usually the players that come are NA, the European players are all back home and don't want to come over for a couple day development camp.

No doubt.  Usually by the time main camp arrives, the guys in Europe are playing already.

I would rather see undrafted guys filling out the pre-season roster than a bunch of useless PTO's.

The roster not going to China that is. 

Gotta love Zadina's swagger, he told Montreal that if they passed on him that he would fill their nets with goals, and then he told his agent after Montreal, Ottawa and Arizona passed on him that he is going to fill their nets with pucks. Detroit got a good one there. Zadina with Larkin and Mantha is a scary thought, that's a lot of goals, glad they are in the east now.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Gotta love Zadina's swagger, he told Montreal that if they passed on him that he would fill their nets with goals, and then he told his agent after Montreal, Ottawa and Arizona passed on him that he is going to fill their nets with pucks. Detroit got a good one there. Zadina with Larkin and Mantha is a scary thought, that's a lot of goals, glad they are in the east now.

God I hope he has constant multiple goal games against Arizona. That would be fantastic.

I can't speak to the credibility of the writer but I thought it was interesting that anyone would give the Flames an A for their draft. he had 2 of their picks in his top 50. Zavgorodiny he had at 35 and Milos Ramon at 43.

Again no idea of his credibility but I thought it was interesting. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-grades-picks-results-31-teams-red-wings-rangers-sabres-islanders-penguins/t0tcrhlm1mjn10bd0aw490akj

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I can't speak to the credibility of the writer but I thought it was interesting that anyone would give the Flames an A for their draft. he had 2 of their picks in his top 50. Zavgorodiny he had at 35 and Milos Ramon at 43.

Again no idea of his credibility but I thought it was interesting. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-grades-picks-results-31-teams-red-wings-rangers-sabres-islanders-penguins/t0tcrhlm1mjn10bd0aw490akj

From what I get, Milos was ranked around the early second round, but his injury this year sort of dropped his stock. Zavgorodiny was only a little behind him, expecting to go from the late second to the mid third (we got him in the 7th). So all in all, those two easily have some potential to be huge steals.

3 minutes ago, Khrox said:

From what I get, Milos was ranked around the early second round, but his injury this year sort of dropped his stock. Zavgorodiny was only a little behind him, expecting to go from the late second to the mid third (we got him in the 7th). So all in all, those two easily have some potential to be huge steals.

To add to that I looked at the Hockey News today and looks like they had Zavgordiny in the high 40s and Roman at 98 in their rankings.

Obviously like you said they slid for reasons but for me it's nice to see the approach of taking high risk talent later in the draft and not going safe. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

To add to that I looked at the Hockey News today and looks like they had Zavgordiny in the high 40s and Roman at 98 in their rankings.

Obviously like you said they slid for reasons but for me it's nice to see the approach of taking high risk talent later in the draft and not going safe. 

Yeah, I saw Zavgordiny as high as 54 through the sites I checked, and as low as 81. I saw 2-3 rankings have Roman at 97-98, but I also saw 2-3 have him in the 50's and 60's. And from what I got Roman slipped solely because of his injury (only being healthy for like 37 games?). Zavgordiny may have gotten a big boost because a lot of scouts upped his rankings when he agreed to leave Russia to play in the Q, so he may not actually have normally ranked that high if it wasn't for that (which would explain some of the slip).

Just now, Khrox said:

Yeah, I saw Zavgordiny as high as 54 through the sites I checked, and as low as 81. I saw 2-3 rankings have Roman at 97-98, but I also saw 2-3 have him in the 50's and 60's. And from what I got Roman slipped solely because of his injury (only being healthy for like 37 games?). Zavgordiny may have gotten a big boost because a lot of scouts upped his rankings when he agreed to leave Russia to play in the Q, so he may not actually have normally ranked that high if it wasn't for that (which would explain some of the slip).

Really looking like the decision to give up next year's 4th to get Roman was astute. Took advantage of a situation to get a talent that they likely don't get in the 4th next year so that's nice.

I'm sure Zavordiny's size played a factor in his slip too but with a release like his i'm glad they rolled the dice. For what was looking like a throw away draft the Flames at least managed to grab a few intriguing guys. 

Archived