Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Paul McLean does make a lot of sense. He has run a pretty good PP throughout his career. He also worked with Babcock like Peters did so there should be some familiarity there.

yup , another I'd like to see here in some capacity is Adam Oates.. probably the best Skills coach in the business  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to stick with Maclean as my guess, but in the interest of boredom and speculation, Theres actually a few names that could fit that description of "veteran coach with success on the powerplay "

1. Paul Maclean - Generally considered a top offense coach - crossed paths with Peters in Detroit

2. Adam Oates - Washington had a very high % the 2 years he was coach , would love to see him work with Bennett and a couple others.. Looked for the article and couldn't find it but I believe it was his skills coaching that Backlund credits a few years back for his breakthrough..something as simple as "holding the puck a few seconds longer"

3. Lindy Ruff- typically his teams were at or above league average - worked well with young players and vets alike 

4.Alain Vigneault - no job openings , guy probably wants to work - would likely lose him after 1 season but he'd be a benefit to everybody on the staff 

5.Dave Tippett - i just cant shake the Arizona connection options 

6. Marco Sturm.. it said veteran coach , not veteran NHL coach 

19 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

yup , another I'd like to see here in some capacity is Adam Oates.. probably the best Skills coach in the business  

& probably makes more working 1 on 1 with players that have an urge to improve every year. Guys like Stamkos or Scheifele probably shell out some pretty good coin for that.

Funny how the mosy dedicated players use guys like him & fitness freak Roberts during the off season to get even better.

Even those strange creatures referred to as goalies go to a private goalie guru during their time off.

What does that tell us about NHL coaching?

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

& probably makes more working 1 on 1 with players that have an urge to improve every year. Guys like Stamkos or Scheifele probably shell out some pretty good coin for that.

Funny how the mosy dedicated players use guys like him & fitness freak Roberts during the off season to get even better.

Even those strange creatures referred to as goalies go to a private goalie guru during their time off.

What does that tell us about NHL coaching?

I think they’re different things. Coaches need to get players better, yes. They also have to manage/assert team culture and style. If players want more money, they need to develop themselves in the summer. 

I guess what we should really be asking is, what is the role of the team in developing their own players?

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think they’re different things. Coaches need to get players better, yes. They also have to manage/assert team culture and style. If players want more money, they need to develop themselves in the summer. 

I guess what we should really be asking is, what is the role of the team in developing their own players?

Hella question. You would think a team would have all the resources and coaching available that would help players get better or improve their weaknesses.

Edit:

Examples....

They had psychology coach.. He is long gone.

They had a skating coach where is he?

I'm gonna guess Huska gets promoted. Since he took over our AHL team we have developed more AHL players into NHLers than I can previously remember. I know he only made the playoffs 1 of 4 seasons in the A, but every season he was at worst a .500 team and this past season his entire team was gutted by recalls to the big club.

Players such as Ferland, Kulak, Hathaway, Jankowski, Andersson, Mangiapane have all developed (to varying extents) into NHLers under him.

I also agree with everyones guess it might be Paul Maclean as the veteran assistant. Either way I could care less who the assistant is as long as the PP improves. The biggest thing I wanna see from the new coach running the PP is player usage, which is what I believe was Cameron's biggest downfall. Play Hamilton on the top unit, do not put Brouwer out there at all... pretty simple

40 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Hella question. You would think a team would have all the resources and coaching available that would help players get better or improve their weaknesses.

Edit:

Examples....

They had psychology coach.. He is long gone.

They had a skating coach where is he?

That is what I would think too. A few of our players are developing. We’ve drafted high recently and lucked out on Johnny in the late rounds. 

Orher than them we’ve failed to develop high end. Brodie was almost that but stunted the past two years. Ferland could be that but a lot are questioning his spot on the roster and his longevity.

RW and G seems pretty suspect. We haven’t really developed any stars from later in the 1st or later rounds. How much is developing, how much is scouting?

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dawn Braid is the Flames skating consultant. They don't have a full time skating coach, but neither do most teams.  Most teams hire consultants.

Thx Cross I did not know of her. We hired another one a few years ago that was equipment based, that I was thinking of. He was claiming 10% team speed increase or something. Not heard anything of him for a couple of years.

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Thx Cross I did not know of her. We hired another one a few years ago that was equipment based, that I was thinking of. He was claiming 10% team speed increase or something. Not heard anything of him for a couple of years.

Probably Barry Karn. He was around for a while and then I think a few years ago they went with Baird. Never really a formal announcement she just started showing up at camps. can't remember the exact time frame, but it's been at least 2-3 years I can remember seeing Baird around. 

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Dawn Braid is the Flames skating consultant. They don't have a full time skating coach, but neither do most teams.  Most teams hire consultants.

Dawn Braid began in the NHL as a skating consultant with the Leafs in 2005 and has since worked with the Sabres, Ducks, and Flames.

She was hired as Arizona's full time skating coach in August 2016, and relocated there to work with the Coyotes and their farm team in Tuscon.

When both those teams are on the road, she continues to work as a part time skating consultant for the Flames.

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

Probably Barry Karn. He was around for a while and then I think a few years ago they went with Baird. Never really a formal announcement she just started showing up at camps. can't remember the exact time frame, but it's been at least 2-3 years I can remember seeing Baird around. 

Why would individual players not take onus and hire personal skills development coaches?  

I just feel like teams are responsible for teaching X's and O's and also physical conditioning. But it's up the the individual player to improve skating, shooting, balance, etc.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why would individual players not take onus and hire personal skills development coaches?  

I just feel like teams are responsible for teaching X's and O's and also physical conditioning. But it's up the the individual player to improve skating, shooting, balance, etc.

I completely agree, and many are starting to. If it were my organization I would encourage it.

One of the biggest issues I would foresee if everything is brought in house is the idea of confirmation bias and group think. I would think teams would push for that neutral 3rd party observation as I would value that advice rather than someone who is constantly tied to the team. 

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Many Do....  Gary Roberts and Adam Oates I know work with players one on one .. I didnt get the name , but It was Hellebuyck  said he has a personal Goalie coach 

Backtracking a little...

Paul Maclean would be an interesting, and IMO good, hire as he has a lot of success in the league both as a PP coach but as a head coach. Apparently he lost his way a little hiis last year in Ottawa but that team also lost Alfredson, most players that played for him seem to like him.

However, small concern is that he's expressed he really wants a shot at another head coaching job and will to wait for it, so i'd be interested to see how that fits here. He's also got a bit of reputation for being "grumpy" (his own words) and i'm not sure that would play well with Peters who seems to have a similar rep. 

Long winded way of saying while I would support the hire and think it would be good, my preference is they go in another direction. Sounds like either way we will find out soon. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Backtracking a little...

Paul Maclean would be an interesting, and IMO good, hire as he has a lot of success in the league both as a PP coach but as a head coach. Apparently he lost his way a little hiis last year in Ottawa but that team also lost Alfredson, most players that played for him seem to like him.

However, small concern is that he's expressed he really wants a shot at another head coaching job and will to wait for it, so i'd be interested to see how that fits here. He's also got a bit of reputation for being "grumpy" (his own words) and i'm not sure that would play well with Peters who seems to have a similar rep. 

Long winded way of saying while I would support the hire and think it would be good, my preference is they go in another direction. Sounds like either way we will find out soon. 

Agree..

you like to do your research , I'm curious who you think would would also fit a  description of " Veteran Coach with a History of running good power plays",  if its not Maclean 

I can only come up with Maclean, Oates, Sturm, Ruff, Vigneault and Tippett....  and I find its always never who we expect when things like this go down LOL

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Agree..

you like to do your research , I'm curious who you think would would also fit a  description of " Veteran Coach with a History of running good power plays",  if its not Maclean 

I can only come up with Maclean, Oates, Sturm, Ruff, Vigneault and Tippett....  and I find its always never who we expect when things like this go down LOL

The only other name i've thought or come across is Todd Nelson. Not a veteran NHL coach, but a veteran coach who I recall reading has success in the AHL with PPs and has spent some time in the NHL running a PP. 

Edit - You got me thinking. This process has been very hush hush which is surprising if you are going to hire someone in the organizaiton already (Huska) and someone who is unemployed. That leads me to believe either the coach is employed, or it's a coach whose season recently ended.

Came up with Scott Gordon. he is coaching Philly's Farm team who just lost to the Marlies in the Calder Cup semi (would explain the timing). He was an assistant coach with the Leafs for 4 years under Wilson and Caryle and during that team had a top 10 PP 3 or the 4 years he was there. Lots of AHL. Didn't have great success as the Isles head coach but who has? Only caveat is he signed a contract extension last season but I do find typically those AHL deals allow for NHL work.

So lots of factors there make sense. Another name to consider. No ties to the organization other than Burke. Burke has a history with him so could have been a recommendation. 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Many Do....  Gary Roberts and Adam Oates I know work with players one on one .. I didnt get the name , but It was Hellebuyck  said he has a personal Goalie coach 

Hellebuyck is 1 that uses Adam Francilia who is a "sports performance coach" dealing with fitness, nutrition & mental health. Dubnyk credits him with turning his game around/saving his career.

He used to work with all positions but it seems recently his disciples are mostly goalies.

As far as Roberts & Oates their client lists include names like McDavid & Scheifele.

Players that shell out their own $s & spend most of their summer to get even better are driven by the want/need to be the best. It's that drive that fosters a hate of losing.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The only other name i've thought or come across is Todd Nelson. Not a veteran NHL coach, but a veteran coach who I recall reading has success in the AHL with PPs and has spent some time in the NHL running a PP. 

But big problem with guessing is we are only looking at unemployed coaches, or coaches not currently in the league. Possibility always exists that they could hire a coach that is/was currently employed by an NHL team if that team was willing to let him out of the deal. 

I wondered about that name too...  2 things came to mind,  one was that In an interview with Conroy today he made a point of saying that BP was interviewing during the WC.. and even tho we live in the world of Skype, thats what made me think Sturm is still a possibility .. plus, Francis obviously knows, but wanted to say something too obvious , and he left out the NHL when he said Veteran coach . made me think the immediately obvious was the wrong answer..

not sure about employed ones. not too often a team lets a employee go for a lateral move .. unless they are employed as a scout , or a farm team coach 

37 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Hellebuyck is 1 that uses Adam Francilia who is a "sports performance coach" dealing with fitness, nutrition & mental health. Dubnyk credits him with turning his game around/saving his career.

He used to work with all positions but it seems recently his disciples are mostly goalies.

As far as Roberts & Oates their client lists include names like McDavid & Scheifele.

Players that shell out their own $s & spend most of their summer to get even better are driven by the want/need to be the best. It's that drive that fosters a hate of losing.

thats the name .. i think he was also the one that teams need to start employing a "Director of Goaltending " and dedicate an entire dept to the position 

Dubnyk?  I thought it was Burke that worked with him ?

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

thats the name .. i think he was also the one that teams need to start employing a "Director of Goaltending " and dedicate an entire dept to the position 

Dubnyk?  I thought it was Burke that worked with him ?

While in Phoenix it was Burke but I remember Helle talking before the Jets vs Wild series about him & Dubnyk being friends & using the same coach in BC during the summer.

Francilia sounds more like a conditioning & life coach than goalie technique guy though. Both might well use someone else to critique their positioning, etc.

Archived