David freaking Rittich

conundrumed

As I've said before, he isn't going to lose you many games.

If we can get on the right side of being the better team for a full 60, pretty sure Rittich can give Smith a prolonged recovery and rest.

Boston AND Nashville were tall orders, at least we got one of 'em.

He's overdue for a shutout, if my math is right, lol.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

As I've said before, he isn't going to lose you many games.

If we can get on the right side of being the better team for a full 60, pretty sure Rittich can give Smith a prolonged recovery and rest.

Boston AND Nashville were tall orders, at least we got one of 'em.

He's overdue for a shutout, if my math is right, lol.

Don't handle the puck kid. LOL

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Sure it was a total gaffe last night - the puck was actually sitting up on end when he played it and I don’t think that was intentional. 

But with Rittich’s skill set, I sure hope Smith can teach him the puck playing skills to take his game to another level. 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Sure it was a total gaffe last night - the puck was actually sitting up on end when he played it and I don’t think that was intentional. 

But with Rittich’s skill set, I sure hope Smith can teach him the puck playing skills to take his game to another level. 

Some just are not good at handling the puck so don't is my advise. Flip to the corner and let the D do their thing.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I said it in the GDT thread, and I'll say it here too. He screwed up on that one goal. but, he did something that not a lot of goalies can do. And that is after a game-changing mistake, he buckled down and shut the doors to keep the win (how many goalies, backup or starting, make game changing mistakes, and then everything after that seems like they try too hard to make up for it and make more?). He definitely responded the right way. Or, I like to think, he just wanted Lazar to have the GWG.

He appears to be able to stay on an even keel no matter what is happening in the game.

I've been impressed with his NHL games so far.

He has, and will continue to make some mistakes, but he doesn't come unhinged when they do happen.

No, for him, it's right back to being focused for the next play.

He's looking like the back-up we need right now.

If his level of play remains the same, he could give Smith a lot more rest this season and next (yes, I expect Rittich to be re-signed).

I think that he even has a chance to become our starter or part of a tandem when Smith's contract expires.

• 9 months later...

Through nine games this season (including seven starts), Rittich has a .933 save percentage: good for fourth in the NHL among goalies with at least 400 minutes played. At even strength, his save percentage is .957% – the best in the NHL with the same parameters. He’s coming off of a .923% effort against the Oilers, a game in which he had to stop numerous breakaways and keep his team in it until the skaters were able to start clicking.

If that doesn;t make you smile, nothing would.  

5 hours ago, Khrox said:

Man, that has aged well, like a fine cognac. 

At this point, Rittich is for sure the 1A

Didn't see it coming from last season, atleast not as quickly as it has transpired. Smith looks like he got old real fast, I was expecting more of the same from him this year, maybe a little more being he's in a contract....and here we are crowning Rittich lol. 

Smith has looked like a hot mess...he needs a complete reset if he wants to regain the starting title. Rittich so far is making all the saves that Smitty isn't and for a

team that plays from behind for most games, Smitty is just too much of a liability. 

Some positives to consider is the impact on Gillies, Parsons. Seeing Rittich thrive could be a great motivating factor, could we be so lucky to potentially have 2 or more future goalies within the system? Also, having Mike Smith as your backup goalie is a pretty good insurance policy

18 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

I would not write Smith off yet.  

Smitty seems a proud sort of guy and I bet he is working his backside off in the hope of finding some form.

Happy that Rittich was given the start again Monday he deserves it.

I would think that sitting out Saturday against the Oilers ate Smith alive. Then seeing how emotional that game was I bet that bugged him even more. Hopefully he is rearing to go for his next outing 

30 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

I would not write Smith off yet.  

Smitty seems a proud sort of guy and I bet he is working his backside off in the hope of finding some form.

Happy that Rittich was given the start again Monday he deserves it.

That's all well and good.

Smith gets a bit of a veteran pass, but should not get the start until he is 100% ready.

Practice is practice.

Sigalet has said he looked ready and had really good time spent working on his game.

The decision to go back to Smith against SJS was a mistake.

The 2nd mistake was somehow thinking he would rebound against the Habs.

You need to give Rittich some rope.  

See how he backs up a win.

See how he rebounds from a close loss.

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

Does Sigalet deserve any credit for Rittichs rise? Lol I don't think he's ever gotten props on this board 

Rittich's first year in Stockton was pretty darn good, considering he was adjusting to NA hockey and culture.

Sigalet was not part of that development.

He came into the NHL as a stellar backup.

His game changed a bit over the year, maybe not for the better.

I don't see anything different in Rittich since early last season and now other than his confidence.

As Conundrumed says, he a technical goalie.

A goalie coach doesn't change that for the better unless you are sadly lacking.

I will give Sigalet props for one thing.  Keeping up with a superstition that Rittich has.

He talked about it on HNIC.

Gets in the stance against the boards and the coach lifts pucks at him and tries to hit him in the head.

Claims that he got a shutout (in Stockton or against LA?) when the coach first did this.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would think that sitting out Saturday against the Oilers ate Smith alive. Then seeing how emotional that game was I bet that bugged him even more. Hopefully he is rearing to go for his next outing 

Actually Smith was off the bench real quick to congratulate and support Rittich.

57 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Actually Smith was off the bench real quick to congratulate and support Rittich.

Being happy the team won I don't think indicates he was content not playing, I'm sure he wanted that game, but at the same time he is a pro and by all accounts a good teammate. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Does Sigalet deserve any credit for Rittichs rise? Lol I don't think he's ever gotten props on this board 

Im not giving Sigalet props here but al I'll say is if people want to blame Sigalet for Smith you have to credit him for Rittich. Doesn't make sense to have it both ways. 

Archived