Glenn Gawdin

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Hat trick for Gawdin in a 3-2 OT including a shortie late to tie it. Wow is he having an impressive year

Just came to post the same thing. I know he's overage but still that's impressive to will your team to victory like that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2018 at 0:57 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

Hat trick for Gawdin in a 3-2 OT including a shortie late to tie it. Wow is he having an impressive year

Has anyone been able to watch any of this series for an amateur scouting report?

I haven't really paid attention myself.

I'm gonna watch tomorrow's as it'll be after the ELC game if anyone wants to compare notes on Gawdin.

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Has anyone been able to watch any of this series for an amateur scouting report?

I haven't really paid attention myself.

I'm gonna watch tomorrow's as it'll be after the ELC game if anyone wants to compare notes on Gawdin.

Haven’t watched much to be honest. But I find him to be a fascinating case, drafted by STL and they didn’t sign him. I wonder if it was the Blues choice or his? The Blues have scouted, drafted and developed very well and recent years so it’s a bit odd to me that they’d let a player dominating the CHL like Gawdin slip away, granted he’s a overage and he should be dominating. Even last year though 59 points in 52 games. Perhaps the Blues loss is our gain.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Haven’t watched much to be honest. But I find him to be a fascinating case, drafted by STL and they didn’t sign him. I wonder if it was the Blues choice or his? The Blues have scouted, drafted and developed very well and recent years so it’s a bit odd to me that they’d let a player dominating the CHL like Gawdin slip away, granted he’s a overage and he should be dominating. Even last year though 59 points in 52 games. Perhaps the Blues loss is our gain.

They only have so much space and contracts to use.  He wouldn't be in their top prospects, or al teast he wasn't last year.

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They chose not to sign him, it was their call not Gawdin's as the news took him by surprise, and they lost his right before the off-season. He was coming off a season where he had look to plateau and really up until this season nothing jumped out at your that this guy had a big future. 59 points in 52 games is not what you would want to see out of a 19 year old prospect who some question his skating. 

Form what I can gather the Blues didn't feel his upside was that high and that if he got to the NHL it would be in a depth/utility style role at best and they have a lot of depth in that area. 

It's occurred too many times to ignore, an overager lighting up junior and ending up with an overseas career.

We should be ignoring the numbers and lowering expectations, a lot.

His main attribute is his size, in that he might be able to be effective in the A.

PPG is not a great stat for a 19yo goal scorer.

I know it's only 1 year, but it's likely the biggest dividing line for most.

Gawdin has a huge uphill battle to overcome, look up a guy named Charles Sarault, his 108pts in 2012 was 1 pt behind a 19yo Vinny Trochek in OHL for points.

That's fairly the norm in the CHL for where it goes from there.

I am not getting excited about Gawdin, at all.

He'll have a hockey career, just probably not in the NHL.

No shame in that.

22 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's occurred too many times to ignore, an overager lighting up junior and ending up with an overseas career.

We should be ignoring the numbers and lowering expectations, a lot.

His main attribute is his size, in that he might be able to be effective in the A.

PPG is not a great stat for a 19yo goal scorer.

I know it's only 1 year, but it's likely the biggest dividing line for most.

Gawdin has a huge uphill battle to overcome, look up a guy named Charles Sarault, his 108pts in 2012 was 1 pt behind a 19yo Vinny Trochek in OHL for points.

That's fairly the norm in the CHL for where it goes from there.

I am not getting excited about Gawdin, at all.

He'll have a hockey career, just probably not in the NHL.

No shame in that.

I hope UR wrong but it does bring to mind the truculence theory of BB on Smith did great in the playoffs and memorial cup but hasn't been able to bring it to the pro's I would bet he Smith will be on his way to the other end of the pond soon. I hate the fact he didn't make it as well as Carol another big kid who will probably end up with Smith so sad that the flames seem to pick em. But saying that we did get a smaller package which has been wonder for the flames in JH Hopefully Mang and Phillips can bring similar attributes.   

36 minutes ago, zima said:

I hope UR wrong but it does bring to mind the truculence theory of BB on Smith did great in the playoffs and memorial cup but hasn't been able to bring it to the pro's I would bet he Smith will be on his way to the other end of the pond soon. I hate the fact he didn't make it as well as Carol another big kid who will probably end up with Smith so sad that the flames seem to pick em. But saying that we did get a smaller package which has been wonder for the flames in JH Hopefully Mang and Phillips can bring similar attributes.   

I hope I'm wrong too. Just trying to keep expectations real.

A reasonable description of the player.  Gives some good metrics.

No point projecting him at this point.

The one plus is that he's a RHS C with a little bit of size.

Seeing as he produces really well with good players, he might just be another Ferland.  Low risk, high reward.

Or he'll troll the AHL until he's the top Heat player.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/04/05/flamesnation-prospect-wrap-up-glenn-gawdin/

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A reasonable description of the player.  Gives some good metrics.

No point projecting him at this point.

The one plus is that he's a RHS C with a little bit of size.

Seeing as he produces really well with good players, he might just be another Ferland.  Low risk, high reward.

Or he'll troll the AHL until he's the top Heat player.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/04/05/flamesnation-prospect-wrap-up-glenn-gawdin/

I did hear a skit on Gawdin on the Big show and it was a very glowing impression of him and one of the conversations was how well he did while his 2 line mates were hurt said he didn't miss a step or along those lines and he is also a great 2 way player he just doesn't play forward game he is able to protect as well.

9 minutes ago, zima said:

I did hear a skit on Gawdin on the Big show and it was a very glowing impression of him and one of the conversations was how well he did while his 2 line mates were hurt said he didn't miss a step or along those lines and he is also a great 2 way player he just doesn't play forward game he is able to protect as well.

Take it with a grain of salt.  You never know how the game translates to pro.

If you look at it as a free pick that may turn into a NHL player, then you will either be pleasantly surprised or mildly disappointed.

Remember how we got excited about Poirier and Shinkaruk?

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

No access to the WHL FINALS??

Wow, I'd have assumed they would be accessible like the O.

Not at all. That's just sad. I understand subscription fees, but it's your finals for godsakes.

No ambition to market your league?

Well, the game is tomorrow, but I agree.  

As far as I can tell, only the Memorial Cup is covered.

At least that's on SN.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Take it with a grain of salt.  You never know how the game translates to pro.

If you look at it as a free pick that may turn into a NHL player, then you will either be pleasantly surprised or mildly disappointed.

Remember how we got excited about Poirier and Shinkaruk?

Yes of course I do believe I did touch on that with Smith and Carol a few conversations ago

6 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Gawdin is a powerful player he has a lot of pro strength. It is Junior hockey but his play is really consistent night in and night out. Austin Carrol was that way too in his over age season. He hasn't done much in the minors.

Yep same with smith Like I said earlier BB truculence turned out to be a lost cause

Perhaps we can be a little optimistic with this kid I am really hoping some of these free picks will work out we could use a couple of wins in these free signings. He is being recognized for his play with the coaches and others throughout the WHL. I don't think either Carol or Smith were in that category? lets take it as a win ;)

Archived