Iggy

89Again

Here is a view taken with limited knowledge on the complexities of cap space etc;

The flames should consider signing Iggy to play provided he is willing to come on at a reasonable base with incentives.  Gio must endorse and they should let him play in the top six potentially with SM and JG depending on the wing fittings.  If he can't cut the mustard they work an injury and he retires with the team or something that works with the cap. My prediction is that he's all heart and suddenly we have a guy who puts more on the ice than most have seen, he leads and fits great with everyone and the organizaton looks class in the mist of an arena contoversy...  I just don't believe he found a good fit in any of Pitt, Boston or Colorado.  He then retires as a super hero and everone loves the organization.  Incidentally on that note, if the taxpayers are going to pay for a new arena, are they entitled to an equity share?

Karma does help

No need to open 3 threads with the same words. Hopefully a mod deletes 2. Don't get so excited as new threads don't appear instantly so no need to double/triple post. Relax!

Iggy on a 1 year incentive based contract would be in hopes he can still play top 6. OTOH if he can't the base would have to be low enough that if he doesn't cut it in the top 6 & decides to pull the plug the base pay eats little cap. Last contract he was on a 35+ @ 5.333 x 3 & produced 27 points. He's not Jagr so would have to take a minimal base (0.85) & the incentives being more play making or team oriented than goals/points to avoid being a hog.

Your "prediction" is more a hope/dream than anything else. It'd make a great Disney movie though.

Iggy was a great & he & Doan will help TC with leadership in the Olys as their last hurrah IMO.

3 hours ago, Bcarnahan said:

Here is a view taken with limited knowledge on the complexities of cap space etc;

The flames should consider signing Iggy to play provided he is willing to come on at a reasonable base with incentives.  Gio must endorse and they should let him play in the top six potentially with SM and JG depending on the wing fittings.  If he can't cut the mustard they work an injury and he retires with the team or something that works with the cap. My prediction is that he's all heart and suddenly we have a guy who puts more on the ice than most have seen, he leads and fits great with everyone and the organizaton looks class in the mist of an arena contoversy...  I just don't believe he found a good fit in any of Pitt, Boston or Colorado.  He then retires as a super hero and everone loves the organization.  Incidentally on that note, if the taxpayers are going to pay for a new arena, are they entitled to an equity share?

Karma does help

Just a couple of points that it appears you did not consider. 35+ contracts are designed so a team just can't bury those players in the AHL, if they don't work out. The cap hit always remains no matter what happens to them. You also can't just work an injury. It is against the rules and heavy heavy fines and loss of draft picks would happen if a team was found trying to bury a player using IR.

I think you forgot that Iggy was not a particularly good fit here either his last few years here. He is the one who requested a trade and nixed the first one that Feaster put together. Yes he has a history here but all of it is not rosy.

I will agree to a 1 day contract to put Iggy on the wall of fame or whatever they call it. I am now on the fence whether his number should be retired though. Maybe we can retire it as another suggested as Loob's retirement Number.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

I hope the Iggy to EDM rumor comes true so the idea that he should come back to Calgary can die. 

I hope that he takes a hint from Fisher....retire with your pride intact.

If he wants a cup, there are no real contenders that will add him right now.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope that he takes a hint from Fisher....retire with your pride intact.

If he wants a cup, there are no real contenders that will add him right now.

No love for Iggy but many think a 45 year old Jagr is just right. LOL

Iggy used to take very good care of himself physically which has allowed him to play this long. ODD the varying feelings around the two.

40 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Iggy used to take very good care of himself physically which has allowed him to play this long. ODD the varying feelings around the two.

I dont like the idea of either player. But having an elite player as a consultant for our young talent would be great for the organization. 

A part of me believes that was why Detroit was so good for so long. The yzerman era really transformed them and their mentality to hockey. Was it his competitiveness or the organization? I like leaders who are demanding. We've missed that along the way. 

I wish we kept Gilmour over Fleury. Fleury was one of my favourites, but Gilmour really showed leadership when in Toronto. That was the kind of player we should've kept in that era... 

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I dont like the idea of either player. But having an elite player as a consultant for our young talent would be great for the organization. 

A part of me believes that was why Detroit was so good for so long. The yzerman era really transformed them and their mentality to hockey. Was it his competitiveness or the organization? I like leaders who are demanding. We've missed that along the way. 

I wish we kept Gilmour over Fleury. Fleury was one of my favourites, but Gilmour really showed leadership when in Toronto. That was the kind of player we should've kept in that era... 

One year of either wouldn't hurt this team or its progress IMO. I do think of the two Jagr is the better fit with his style of play to work with JG and SM.

As far as Leadership goes I have a feeling Monahan will emerge as a good leader amongst our forwards and we have Giordano for the defense group.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

For me, it's how he left the org.  Wanted out when he was not worth much in a trade.  Forced where he could go.  His house went up for sale basically as soon as he was traded.  As far as Iggy the player, he has lost so much of his offense it doesn't make much sense.  

Where Jagr is a complementary player whose only distraction would be the travelling Jagr's, Iggy would be a sideshow in Calgary every time he stepped on the ice.  Does he backcheck.  Can he keep up.  How does he mesh with Gio.  Does he get used on the PP.  Does he poresent a role model for the young players.  Is he playing another season.  Very polarizing player for this team, while Jagr is simply a gifted player that could contribute 40+ points who talks about as much as Hudler.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

One year of either wouldn't hurt this team or its progress IMO. I do think of the two Jagr is the better fit with his style of play to work with JG and SM.

As far as Leadership goes I have a feeling Monahan will emerge as a good leader amongst our forwards and we have Giordano for the defense group.

I see what you mean.

but, could a prospect be ready to get mentored by Backlund's line, and Tkachuk move to Bennett's like you suggested moving him over? 

The good thing about having Backlund is, he's the perfect player to have to foster in a young player, ala Hudler. In that scenario, Jagr or Iginla take up a valuable spot.

48 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I see what you mean.

but, could a prospect be ready to get mentored by Backlund's line, and Tkachuk move to Bennett's like you suggested moving him over? 

The good thing about having Backlund is, he's the perfect player to have to foster in a young player, ala Hudler. In that scenario, Jagr or Iginla take up a valuable spot.

I actually think Ferland could learn a few things playing with Backlund and Frolik which could benefit the team.

I'm not against signing Iggy...he's arguably the greatest Flame of all time. Yes he's older and slower but keep in mind he was a on an abysmal Avalanche team and the Kings were never a good fit, just an opportunity for him to attempt a playoff berth. I'm not saying Iggy will be putting up the numbers he used to but he can still play and would add some leadership and grit yo our fwd group...Ferland is the only one that plays with that extra snarl right now. Only thing to consider is that Iggy and Gio could butt heads, not sure if there's much to it but they did fight during one of the Flames vs Kings match ups. Could be bad blood or simply their competitive nature but adding Iggy could be a but disruptive to Gio's current leadership efforts. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I'm not against signing Iggy...he's arguably the greatest Flame of all time. Yes he's older and slower but keep in mind he was a on an abysmal Avalanche team and the Kings were never a good fit, just an opportunity for him to attempt a playoff berth. I'm not saying Iggy will be putting up the numbers he used to but he can still play and would add some leadership and grit yo our fwd group...Ferland is the only one that plays with that extra snarl right now. Only thing to consider is that Iggy and Gio could butt heads, not sure if there's much to it but they did fight during one of the Flames vs Kings match ups. Could be bad blood or simply their competitive nature but adding Iggy could be a but disruptive to Gio's current leadership efforts. 

I would say the Kings were the best fit in the NHL for him.  He had a relationship with the coach and they play a power forward game not centred around a speed game.  

7 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I would say the Kings were the best fit in the NHL for him.  He had a relationship with the coach and they play a power forward game not centred around a speed game.  

The Kings style of play aligned with Iggys but their offence was almost non existent. I was just saying his play with the Kings or Avs shouldn't be indicative of his ability to still play the game. Pretty much all forwards on those teams took a step back in production last year. I still think Iggy can pot 20 goals in a year, not out of the realm. I'm sure he's in good enough shape to still play in the league, maybe he's expecting too high of a salary but I'm sure he could still provide decent production in the NHL. 

15 minutes ago, rickross said:

The Kings style of play aligned with Iggys but their offence was almost non existent. I was just saying his play with the Kings or Avs shouldn't be indicative of his ability to still play the game. Pretty much all forwards on those teams took a step back in production last year. I still think Iggy can pot 20 goals in a year, not out of the realm. I'm sure he's in good enough shape to still play in the league, maybe he's expecting too high of a salary but I'm sure he could still provide decent production in the NHL. 

I am not specifically against signing Iginla.  At worst he would help out the power play.  But if he can't play on the top line in LA (who doesn't play a speed game) he isn't going to be better on the third line in Calgary (who does play a speed game).  

NO.

No, No, No, No, No. 

I hope every day that I hear that he's decided to retire or signed with anyone who isn't Calgary.  I would not take him for any reason, not even if he could somehow play for free and not take up a contract slot.    We don't need the distraction he would bring, the lost development time for our roster in the minutes he would eat up, and we frankly can easily come up with other players with much less downside who currently possess his skills. As for leadership, I know I am in a minority, but I thought his style was about 180 opposite of what we needed from the day that Conroy left and he was Captain on his own.  I certainly took enough heat for it over the years but I will say it again I never liked him as our Captain, I thought he was a very poor captain and his "leadership" is a record of steadily declining performance despite a continual improvement in talent right up until Feaster had to blow it all up.  He might be a good captain on a team like Team Canada, hell he's probably a perfect Captain, but for your average NHL team he really just isn't.

In our locker room we need to promote a culture of accountability, not the country club.  And we all know that Iggy brought the later not the former with him.

1 day deal to retire a Flame, hell yeah in fact they damned well better, but we had our time with him, let's not tarnish those memories.

18 minutes ago, SKscout said:

NO.

No, No, No, No, No. 

I hope every day that I hear that he's decided to retire or signed with anyone who isn't Calgary.  I would not take him for any reason, not even if he could somehow play for free and not take up a contract slot.    We don't need the distraction he would bring, the lost development time for our roster in the minutes he would eat up, and we frankly can easily come up with other players with much less downside who currently possess his skills. As for leadership, I know I am in a minority, but I thought his style was about 180 opposite of what we needed from the day that Conroy left and he was Captain on his own.  I certainly took enough heat for it over the years but I will say it again I never liked him as our Captain, I thought he was a very poor captain and his "leadership" is a record of steadily declining performance despite a continual improvement in talent right up until Feaster had to blow it all up.  He might be a good captain on a team like Team Canada, hell he's probably a perfect Captain, but for your average NHL team he really just isn't.

In our locker room we need to promote a culture of accountability, not the country club.  And we all know that Iggy brought the later not the former with him.

1 day deal to retire a Flame, hell yeah in fact they damned well better, but we had our time with him, let's not tarnish those memories.

Welcome back. Haven't seen you around in a while.

As I said said a few posts above I'd take him under very limited circumstances if we can't find better (Jagr is still looking for a job).

I'm hoping for the 1 day contract to retire from the NHL in the city he's identified with & then play for the non-NHL version of TC with him & Doan leading a rag tag group in the Olys as their last hurrah.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Welcome back. Haven't seen you around in a while.

As I said said a few posts above I'd take him under very limited circumstances if we can't find better (Jagr is still looking for a job).

I'm hoping for the 1 day contract to retire from the NHL in the city he's identified with & then play for the non-NHL version of TC with him & Doan leading a rag tag group in the Olys as their last hurrah.

If he's open to that, it probably makes the most sense.  I don't see the fit myself, and considering we don't even use Frolik, Ferland or Bennett much on the PP, I don't know if he would be a better fit there either.  What he brings that we don't currently have is a one-timer from the circle.  Would prefer to see them develop a guy to do that, so we have a longer term weapon.    

On 10/08/2017 at 2:55 PM, SKscout said:

NO.

No, No, No, No, No. 

Do you think Iggy deserves wall of fame or Jersey retired?

I am on fence now for Jersey retired.

Archived