So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, conundrumed said:

2 pages of Ryan freaking Reaves...

I'm all for signing him...if we can trade him back to St Loo for Klim Kostin.

Thanks Pens for bringing the funnies to last year's draft.

Aren't we on to page three now?

I think there was less debate on ROR.

Why don;t we trade Brodie, Bennett and Stone for Grubauer, Burakovsky and Wilson. 

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

When has ever shown that he can? Even in these playoffs when everybody seems to be in love with him he has averaged under 8 mins a game after sitting out the first two rounds. If we did go out and get Reaves and he averaged more than 10 mins a night, I am pretty confident in saying that we would looking at another lottery pick again next year. 

Also when you look at Peters history, there is nothing to suggest he would deploy an enforcer, which is pretty much all Reaves is. My understanding of Peters philosophy is that you need to have players who can skate and play the game at both ends of the ice on all 4 lines, Reaves doesn't fit that role.

You mean we shouldn't be signing a 30+ year old that can't skate, play more then 8 minutes a night, and who may be set to get paid too much?  My original thought was the Flames should be looking for establish scoring and two way play in the bottom 9, adding speed to supplement guys like Monahan/Tkachuk, and avoid overpaying for intangibles and grunts.  But I might rethink things if Reaves really makes it to market.   

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Believe what you want about Brodie and Hamilton. Your dead wrong. But agree to disagree. As for them being bad in the room. Based on what? A wild guess? 

For the record, I am not against moving a D for the right return. But a top line winger isn't the right return. Our top line isn't an area of need and you aren't bumping anyone down the line that solves our depth problem. 

This is turning into a circular debate though, so I agree we disagree. 

No wild guess and if you think they are good defenders then you have a much lower standard than myself.

I don't think you are following the suggested moves and if you can't see where we are better off from a depth/experience standpoint I can't help you there either.

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

When has ever shown that he can? Even in these playoffs when everybody seems to be in love with him he has averaged under 8 mins a game after sitting out the first two rounds. If we did go out and get Reaves and he averaged more than 10 mins a night, I am pretty confident in saying that we would looking at another lottery pick again next year. 

Also when you look at Peters history, there is nothing to suggest he would deploy an enforcer, which is pretty much all Reaves is. My understanding of Peters philosophy is that you need to have players who can skate and play the game at both ends of the ice on all 4 lines, Reaves doesn't fit that role.

You forgot to add IMO because what you are putting forth here is idiotic, claiming a player that puts in 8mins cant effectively put in 10. On top of that you have him as the cause for us winning a lottery pick position. You claim he can't skate and I would put Reaves up against a number of our current players as skaters. You don't like the player I get it but to try and degrade him as useless is dumb.

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

2 pages of Ryan freaking Reaves...

I'm all for signing him...if we can trade him back to St Loo for Klim Kostin.

Thanks Pens for bringing the funnies to last year's draft.

I think way more than Reaves is at discussion here but agree some of the dialogue is useless. We try to initiate discussion constructive or otherwise but like all forums personal opinions come out. Don't like a suggestion make some of your own.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think way more than Reaves is at discussion here but agree some of the dialogue is useless. We try to initiate discussion constructive or otherwise but like all forums personal opinions come out. Don't like a suggestion make some of your own.

Personal opinions are what these forums are all about.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You forgot to add IMO because what you are putting forth here is idiotic, claiming a player that puts in 8mins cant effectively put in 10. On top of that you have him as the cause for us winning a lottery pick position. You claim he can't skate and I would put Reaves up against a number of our current players as skaters. You don't like the player I get it but to try and degrade him as useless is dumb.

I am saying that there is a reason he doesn't play 10 mins a night and that's because he isn't an effective player.  I get the reason for targeting him, I just disagree that he is a useful player.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am saying that there is a reason he doesn't play 10 mins a night and that's because he isn't an effective player.  I get the reason for targeting him, I just disagree that he is a useful player.

Whatever 7m or 10m your argument is ridiculous. I would venture to guess Reaves is in better physical condition that 3/4s of this team and to say his skating can't keep upis also ridiculous. I will stick with my suggestion whether it ever comes about or not.

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Okay. Let's not sign Reaves.:P

Stop taking it personally. We don't really need to fix 4th line RW. Both Lazar and Hathaway are better alternatives imo.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

But yet , a coach , with a Stanley Cup on the line.. feels he needs him in the lineup ,   over a speedy scoring winger that costs over $5M/yr 

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Okay. Let's not sign Reaves.:P

Stop taking it personally. We don't really need to fix 4th line RW. Both Lazar and Hathaway are better alternatives imo.

They are lightweights that no one takes seriously so no I don't believe they are better options. We have no determent to offer up to the opposition for taking liberties with our players, nobody. Reaves may be one of the last Mohicans but he could be a real asset to a team such as ours even for a season. Contrary to your believes he can skate and can play decent hockey.

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Whatever 7m or 10m your argument is ridiculous. I would venture to guess Reaves is in better physical condition that 3/4s of this team and to say his skating can't keep upis also ridiculous. I will stick with my suggestion whether it ever comes about or not.

Him not being able to play 10mins a night has nothing to do with whether he is in good enough physical condition, it has everything to do with the fact that he doesn't help you offensively or defensively, so you can't play him for the entire game. 

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

OK but this will depend on what else takes place with this forward group. Here is another question, why would you not want Reaves at say 1.5M over either Hathaway or Lazar ?

I really hope they buy out Brouwer so him and Versteeg can move on to somewhere else.

As I have already said. I do not think Ryan Reaves is an effective hockey player and is not someone who can give you any type of production in any capacity. He is a goon and a goon only. 

Again if you like that role Mac fine you are entitled to your opinion. But I don't see the need for that role and my opinion on it is not going to change. 

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

But yet , a coach , with a Stanley Cup on the line.. feels he needs him in the lineup ,   over a speedy scoring winger that costs over $5M/yr 

First of all what does salary have to do with this? Tatar is a soft player who disappears in the playoffs. I am sure Gallant would love to be able to play Tatar right now.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

They are lightweights that no one takes seriously so no I don't believe they are better options. We have no determent to offer up to the opposition for taking liberties with our players, nobody. Reaves may be one of the last Mohicans but he could be a real asset to a team such as ours even for a season. Contrary to your believes he can skate and can play decent hockey.

Perhaps you're correct, but I see a player whose only asset is intimidation. I don't think he's a good player at all.

I'll bend a little in that at TDL as a playoff team I would consider him. Not a full season though, he'd be in the press box a lot.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

First of all what does salary have to do with this? Tatar is a soft player who disappears in the playoffs. I am sure Gallant would love to be able to play Tatar right now.

Tatar tots, jesus. So, so much talent there, just doesn't play to his abilities almost all of the time.

Thanks for the pick though Vegas *Detroit waves all happy".

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

its refreshing to see a coach who plays the most effective lineup and not playing the salary (eg Brouwer)

Im just saying hes not there by default , Gallant feels hes the best player for the situation 

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As I have already said. I do not think Ryan Reaves is an effective hockey player and is not someone who can give you any type of production in any capacity. He is a goon and a goon only. 

Again if you like that role Mac fine you are entitled to your opinion. But I don't see the need for that role and my opinion on it is not going to change. 

you are right I am entitled to my own view of the needs for this team. We will not always concur on players or their skillsets or purpose for this team. I have stated my reasons for why I think we could use him and I wasn't looking for your endorsement.

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Perhaps you're correct, but I see a player whose only asset is intimidation. I don't think he's a good player at all.

I'll bend a little in that at TDL as a playoff team I would consider him. Not a full season though, he'd be in the press box a lot.

I'm sorry that is all you see, I see more.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fair enough. Opposite opinions are pretty much the norm, otherwise, scouts would align and get it right all of the time.

Maybe that’s what our scouts should do, go with an opposite opinion sometimes? 

I kinda wish that we’d get it right a bit more than we do. Hindsight is painful too often, lol. ?

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Maybe that’s what our scouts should do, go with an opposite opinion sometimes? 

I kinda wish that we’d get it right a bit more than we do. Hindsight is painful too often, lol. ?

It's a thankless job for sure. I get annoyed around scouts a lot.

It can feel like a back-slapping old boys club. Which I find ridiculous.

At tourneys and watching kids, I see they virtually all sit together.

No wonder there is so much consensus.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It's a thankless job for sure. I get annoyed around scouts a lot.

It can feel like a back-slapping old boys club. Which I find ridiculous.

At tourneys and watching kids, I see they virtually all sit together.

No wonder there is so much consensus.

We could use a refresher. 

My aunt asked why Canadian teams are so bad in the NHL. I said the American teams tend to be better at scouting and drafting and the dollar/tax difference makes it more desirable to play in the states. But I think it’s scouting and development to some degree.

For good reason, the flames scouting takes a beating. But their 15-17 drafts so far have been excellent. I'm very confident we'll get the results if we are willing to play them more. 

I don't think scouting is an issue for this team anymore. 

Archived