So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's more of a savings bond than a present.  I know its a few years from knowing what the value of the player will be, but I think he may be a top pairing guy by the time Gio starts fading.  I don't give up on that for a guy that could become a good NHL player.  If I'm giving up Juuso,  I want Little back. :)

I think perhaps that ARI would be a better trading partner.  They have prospects and young NHL'ers but not much else.  Maybe they would be interested in Reider for Stajan + a prospect.  

Stajan + Hunter Smith for C. Dvorak? Probably would never happen but I'd offer up Brouwer and a prospect for Reider and Dvorak/picks. Dunno why I'm so stuck on Dvorak lol , just think him and Tkachuk would be great kids line to build around, maybe pair them with a Bennett? 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see Arizona moving Dvorak unless you really overpay and they definetly wouldn't do it for Stajan and Smith. Really no reason for them to move Dvorak at all 

I've always liked armia but his potential has stagnated. At this point it's arguable that he would be an upgrade to ferland up there so you don't overpay for that and you definetly don't give up valmaki who likely will be he flames top prospect by the end of the season. thats the type of trade where you give up a mid round pick or a b level prospect and roll the dice not given up one of your best prospects, like a joe colborne situation. Unfortunately I also think dealing picks should basically be off the table this season as the flames are already down so many. 

5 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

It surprises me that there is any debating the Flames RW situation.  RW is a hole on this team.  

There is nobody in the organization who is a true first line RW.  As it currently stands, a left hand shot or a 3rd liner with a RHS will be slotted in as a RW on the first line.  

As I see it, the team has three options wrt to RW:

1.  Accept that the position is a weak spot and use this season to develope young RWers already in the organization.  Move AHLers up and see what they can do.  This doesn't jibe with the win now direction the team seems to be taking. 

2.  Continue to tread water with the patchwork approach they used the last few years.  This didn't work last year, so I don't see why it would work this year.  I don't think anyone who played RW last year is ready to take a giant leap forward in the goal scoring department. 

3.  Make a trade for a legitimate first line RW.  Not easy to do because first line RW are not easy to come by - teams don't want to give them up and the salary cap makes big trades difficult. 

So...I think the team is going to have to accept the fact that RW is a weakness and struggle through this season.  Hopefully another year of growing pains builds something for the following season (or contracts expire next summer and there is more money to trade/buy a first line RW.)

There is not currently a RW hole, or problem on the Flames.  Last year the top two lines of Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland and Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik played well to finish the season and likely will start the season the same, though personally I'd like to see Tkachuk-Bennett-  Just because you may not like someone, doesn't mean they are playing poorly or the team needs to replace them., unless they are dragging the team down, I.e. Wideman last season.  

Reinforcements are arriving, in the names of Poirier, Foo, Pribyl et al who can contest for possible other spots that really aren't there either.  If things don't work out with those already in place, or somebody comes in and steals a job, there will be changes, but otherwise going with what was already working seems like a fine strategy to me.

its pretty clear the flames are weak at RW and it's fair to question the depth. Anyway you cut it you are "hoping" things work out but the depth and talent there isn't very good, that's clear.  

But its not really a negative, it's reality of a cap world. Every team has at least 1 hole on their roster, even teams like Pittsburgh that win cups. Its more about how you adjust and overcome as opposed to making sure you are complete up and down the roster. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

its pretty clear the flames are weak at RW and it's fair to question the depth. Anyway you cut it you are "hoping" things work out but the depth and talent there isn't very good, that's clear.  

But its not really a negative, it's reality of a cap world. Every team has at least 1 hole on their roster, even teams like Pittsburgh that win cups. Its more about how you adjust and overcome as opposed to making sure you are complete up and down the roster. 

Just because the weakest position on the Flames may be RW, OK is RW (possibly G) doesn't mean they have a problem at RW.  As you say, every team is constructed differently and of course the positions that are not occupied by their stars would then be 'weak' relative to them.  A better way to think of it is that the easiest way to improve the team is to upgrade the weakest link(s).  That could be RW now, but compared to the recent SC winners you could easily make the argument that our true team weakness is at C.  Penguins, Kings and to a lessor extent the Blackhawks all demonstrated that a couple of dominating centres is critical to success.  Heck, last season the Pens' D was pretty weak but they won nonetheless.  

I agree we have the best chance to improve the team via RW upgrades, but overall team success ultimately is going to rest on the shoulders of 3-4 players with names like Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Hamilton and Smith, and much less so on the lessor lights, whatever their names happen to be.  In other words, the stars have to be the stars and all the rest chip in.  If they don't the rest won't really matter.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Using Ferland as the #1 RW is a pretty good indication that your depth is not great.  Frolik is fine and one of the more underrated players on the team.  Brouwer would be a decent 4th line RW if not for the cost.  After that who do we really have that has shown enough to be a full time NHL guy?  Versteeg plays more on LW. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's more of a savings bond than a present.  I know its a few years from knowing what the value of the player will be, but I think he may be a top pairing guy by the time Gio starts fading.  I don't give up on that for a guy that could become a good NHL player.  If I'm giving up Juuso,  I want Little back. :)

I think perhaps that ARI would be a better trading partner.  They have prospects and young NHL'ers but not much else.  Maybe they would be interested in Reider for Stajan + a prospect.  

Why Little? He's best @ center & even if converted to RW he couldn't skate with Gaudreau. & the Jets aren't going to trade their former 1C who is a dang good #2 for an unproven prospect that as a D will probably be a few years from the big time. It looks like they figure that the cupboards are full of prospects & they have most of their picks for the next 3 years (missing the 3rd in 2019 but have an extra 5th in 2017) so are more set to add rather than subtract. After the D was decimated last year they added Kulikov & since the young goalies weren't ready they added a vet in Mason. Looks like management decided that the vets were getting tired of watching playoffs from the couch & decided to appease them (& the fans) by icing what should be a contender. Replacing a RW stuck there because there are 2 better 1s & trading a 1st rounder you hope will be in the 20s for a prospect doesn't hurt the now when you have young forwards (mostly centers but those convert easy enough) but you don't trade a top 2 center for that maybe.

If the 'Yotes were interested in Stajan BT would probably be happy with a 3rd rounder that becomes a 2nd under conditions. There's little reason to trade a 24 year old winger (plays either side) under cost control for yet another prospect (you mention they have both those & young NHLers) when vets are going for under $1 million & signing PTOs.

^^^

I don't see a trade happening between the two teams. Just the value I was placing on Valimaki.  Much more than Armia.  Armia fits the need for a RW, but I don't think we could work any deal there.  

As for ARI, Reider is a player I would like to have.  Doubt they trade him.  Dvorak would be awesome, but no way they ever trade him.  Duclair might be available.  Don't think he has top line capabilities.    

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Just because the weakest position on the Flames may be RW, OK is RW (possibly G) doesn't mean they have a problem at RW.  As you say, every team is constructed differently and of course the positions that are not occupied by their stars would then be 'weak' relative to them.  A better way to think of it is that the easiest way to improve the team is to upgrade the weakest link(s).  That could be RW now, but compared to the recent SC winners you could easily make the argument that our true team weakness is at C.  Penguins, Kings and to a lessor extent the Blackhawks all demonstrated that a couple of dominating centres is critical to success.  Heck, last season the Pens' D was pretty weak but they won nonetheless.  

I agree we have the best chance to improve the team via RW upgrades, but overall team success ultimately is going to rest on the shoulders of 3-4 players with names like Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Hamilton and Smith, and much less so on the lessor lights, whatever their names happen to be.  In other words, the stars have to be the stars and all the rest chip in.  If they don't the rest won't really matter.

I agree that the stars are the 1s that ultimately decide the Flames fate next season. It depends on what they see as their part in contributing to be. On paper we'll have 1 of the top 5 defensive corps in the league so Smith should have it easier than most goalies. Up front the guys like Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Tkachuk, Frolik (the 1 I worry about the least among the forwards) not only need to outscore the other team but try to remember that there is more to the game than scoring. In other words if you count on help from the defense to score help them on the defensive parts (especially when goals for are coming hard).

We may get by with lines built around 2 guys & having a couple of more defensive lines as some suggest but IMO no forwards should think that scoring is not the only part of their job. I'm especially looking @ the 2 that will be the 1st line with who ever they play with (& yes, even if you don't care for calling it line 1, line 2, etc. Gaudreau/Monahan/whoever will be the 1st line & counted on to score).

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^

I don't see a trade happening between the two teams. Just the value I was placing on Valimaki.  Much more than Armia.  Armia fits the need for a RW, but I don't think we could work any deal there.  

As for ARI, Reider is a player I would like to have.  Doubt they trade him.  Dvorak would be awesome, but no way they ever trade him.  Duclair might be available.  Don't think he has top line capabilities.    

I guess you missed the part about a 2018 1st rounder coming along with Armia. :)

In that proposal I was thinking before the season so we have no idea the worth of that 1st rounder as it could be anything from 1st to 31st  while we also have no idea where Armia would fit (if he doesn't fit with JG & SM there isn't a need but the same holds true for every RW).

We also have no idea what Valimaki will become.

As with all these trade ideas it's a stab in the dark. I just saw it as a realist hockey trade because it's seldom you can trade scraps for players unless the other team is in a real cap jam. With the Flames having few tradable assets it's tough to come up with a realistic scenario.

BTW, keeping in mind that Arizona hopes to build a good team (for either themselves or the city it moves to ala QC) what could the Flames realistically offer for Reider or Dvorak? Brouwer @ 50% off & a bunch of picks in 2020 (1st time we have more than 1 pick in the top 3 rounds) don't help in making them more attractive to a buyer with an eye on moving them. As a hedge fund guy Andrew Barroway is likely to sell them to an owner that can move them if even a winning team can't sell tickets. So the incentive to add to the best of the youth rather than sell them for futures isn't there.

33 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I guess you missed the part about a 2018 1st rounder coming along with Armia. :)

In that proposal I was thinking before the season so we have no idea the worth of that 1st rounder as it could be anything from 1st to 31st  while we also have no idea where Armia would fit (if he doesn't fit with JG & SM there isn't a need but the same holds true for every RW).

We also have no idea what Valimaki will become.

As with all these trade ideas it's a stab in the dark. I just saw it as a realist hockey trade because it's seldom you can trade scraps for players unless the other team is in a real cap jam. With the Flames having few tradable assets it's tough to come up with a realistic scenario.

BTW, keeping in mind that Arizona hopes to build a good team (for either themselves or the city it moves to ala QC) what could the Flames realistically offer for Reider or Dvorak? Brouwer @ 50% off & a bunch of picks in 2020 (1st time we have more than 1 pick in the top 3 rounds) don't help in making them more attractive to a buyer with an eye on moving them. As a hedge fund guy Andrew Barroway is likely to sell them to an owner that can move them if even a winning team can't sell tickets. So the incentive to add to the best of the youth rather than sell them for futures isn't there.

Yeah, I actually did see that initially.  Let me ask you this.  If you had the choice to draft Dahkin or Valimaki, which would you choose?  TSN certainly loves Dahlin, but was wondering how you feel.  Reason I ask is he's sort of the top choice this next year.  

Realistically, all we could offer the Yotes is a D-man that could step in right now and Stajan or Brouwer perhaps.  The D-man being Andersson and he could actually be good enough to play at the NHL level.  Chychrun is out for awhile after having knee surgery August 3rd.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I actually did see that initially.  Let me ask you this.  If you had the choice to draft Dahkin or Valimaki, which would you choose?  TSN certainly loves Dahlin, but was wondering how you feel.  Reason I ask is he's sort of the top choice this next year.  

Realistically, all we could offer the Yotes is a D-man that could step in right now and Stajan or Brouwer perhaps.  The D-man being Andersson and he could actually be good enough to play at the NHL level.  Chychrun is out for awhile after having knee surgery August 3rd.

Tough question as I like both. I'd take Dahlin though as when he grows/adds a few pounds the size should equal out. Dahlin plays with attitude (from what I saw in the WJC) & was very skilled. Even @ 16 he was 1 of Sweden's best players & IMO out shone any of Finland's D while being younger. Since I have only the WJC to go by with the bigger ice it's hard to extropolate them to the NHL but I'd rather wait an extra year if neccessary for Dahlin (although I figure they'll hit the bigs in the same year as Dahlin looks a tad more ready).

So realistically we have nothing to offer that's near the worth of Reider or Dvorak. A maybe NHL level D can be found even in UFA if the aim is a depth guy to fill in until Chychrun (another D I wanted in his draft year) is healthy or off waivers after training camps. Stajan/Brouwer are cap dumps for Calgary & BT would likely be more than happy to accept a 3rd (or less) to clear room. Heck, even a year of Backlund doesn't touch years of cost control Arizona has with the 2 younger players.

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I agree that the stars are the 1s that ultimately decide the Flames fate next season. It depends on what they see as their part in contributing to be. On paper we'll have 1 of the top 5 defensive corps in the league so Smith should have it easier than most goalies. Up front the guys like Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Tkachuk, Frolik (the 1 I worry about the least among the forwards) not only need to outscore the other team but try to remember that there is more to the game than scoring. In other words if you count on help from the defense to score help them on the defensive parts (especially when goals for are coming hard).

We may get by with lines built around 2 guys & having a couple of more defensive lines as some suggest but IMO no forwards should think that scoring is not the only part of their job. I'm especially looking @ the 2 that will be the 1st line with who ever they play with (& yes, even if you don't care for calling it line 1, line 2, etc. Gaudreau/Monahan/whoever will be the 1st line & counted on to score).

Looks good to me. Last year's slow start was an anomaly that shouldn't be treated as a giant question mark. I'm confident it won't be.

Backlund and Frolik are a thing, and you can't deny that.

Then go sour on Bennett to focus on negatives that don't exist.

We still have Tkachuk coming off of a strong rookie season.

We have D to drive play.

Why all the negatives?

Because we're a lot further ahead than your Flyers and Jets?

It's August, man, keep up the negative tone on us at your peril.:)

Because you are dreaming us bad.

We aren't.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Using Ferland as the #1 RW is a pretty good indication that your depth is not great.  Frolik is fine and one of the more underrated players on the team.  Brouwer would be a decent 4th line RW if not for the cost.  After that who do we really have that has shown enough to be a full time NHL guy?  Versteeg plays more on LW. 

I think some are misrepresenting the RW situation, not having an "ideal" RW for the top line doesn't or shouldn't mean the rest of your RWers are bad depth. There are only so many openings that will occur and think we are now better equipped to fill those injury holes with quality replacements throughout the season.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎26 at 9:48 AM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Why would colton sissons be available? Also I dont see him being top line RW material, hes a decent hockey player but he doesnt make the 1st line any better.

NAS brought in a few more Cs which could make him available and once again I disagree with your assessment of the player.

22 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I see where you're going with it, but I just can't because I wonder what the ceiling is for Valamaki. Will it be higher than Armia? Top 4 D are worth a lot and in the future, will Valamaki garner more in a trade? 

Will Armia make us full contenders?

will that 1st rounder develop as quick as Valamaki? 

Will the the jets make the playoffs?

Valamaki will be Giordano's replacement, mark my words. I wouldn't be trading him at all.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Valamaki will be Giordano's replacement, mark my words. I wouldn't be trading him at all.

That's exactly why I question it. I really like the pick (from everything I read about him). His upside is too high. 

FlyerFan mentioned the 1st rounder in his original suggestion, so that's where I started really questioning it, would that pick live up to Valamaki?? And we wouldn't know for 5 years, like FF said.

i am still very hesitant to make the trade as it's easier to be attached to the known prospect we have.

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

NAS brought in a few more Cs which could make him available and once again I disagree with our assessment of the player.

Ok why do you think he has top line talent? He has not shown a scoring ability at any level, and he certainly isent a "dynamic" player, so for what reason is he 1st line material? Granted he did score more then 20 goals in major junior and the AAA, but that doesnt mean he is 1st line material. So whats your assesment?

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Looks good to me. Last year's slow start was an anomaly that shouldn't be treated as a giant question mark. I'm confident it won't be.

Backlund and Frolik are a thing, and you can't deny that.

Then go sour on Bennett to focus on negatives that don't exist.

We still have Tkachuk coming off of a strong rookie season.

We have D to drive play.

Why all the negatives?

Because we're a lot further ahead than your Flyers and Jets?

It's August, man, keep up the negative tone on us at your peril.:)

Because you are dreaming us bad.

We aren't.

Huh?

I denied nothing about Backlund/Frolik. I speak highly of both & hope Backlund re-signs.

I'm not sour on Bennett. He's just progressing slower than I hoped.

Where did you find negatives in my post? I stated that every player has to take winning seriously enough to do their part @ both ends of the ice.

BTW, the Flyers & Jets have nothing to do with this. :o

I'm not saying we're bad. I was stating my opinion on what the players need to do to make the team the best they can this year.

You seem to be the 1 making negatives out of nothing. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Ok why do you think he has top line talent? He has not shown a scoring ability at any level, and he certainly isent a "dynamic" player, so for what reason is he 1st line material? Granted he did score more then 20 goals in major junior and the AAA, but that doesnt mean he is 1st line material. So whats your assesment?

I am in no way supporting macs stand on the player, but I am just wondering how many goals do we expect from Gaudreau and Monahan'a winger? 

I guess this could be a question for any winger they get. What will make a successful 3rd on the line?

For me, as long as Monahan and Gaudreau get anywhere from 25-35 goals, then their winger should get 15-20 goals and that line is successful.

I know now we shouldn't predict that but that's what we are on a site like this for.

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That's exactly why I question it. I really like the pick (from everything I read about him). His upside is too high. 

FlyerFan mentioned the 1st rounder in his original suggestion, so that's where I started really questioning it, would that pick live up to Valamaki?? And we wouldn't know for 5 years, like FF said.

i am still very hesitant to make the trade as it's easier to be attached to the known prospect we have.

With all the talk about a RW to play with Gaudreau/Monahan I thought I'd throw a possibility out for discussion. I tend to use teams/players I actually know a fair ammount about (I watch them a lot) & liking both teams endeavor to make a trade as fair as possible for both sides (a hockey trade). As said given the youth of the players the result is 1 that really couldn't be decided for about 5 years. If it works out ideally both teams are better than before.

Looking @ needs from both sides this was about the fairest I could come up with. I'm not even sure I'd do it if I were the GM of either team.

Staying with teams I know I tried to imagine a trade with the Flyers but couldn't come up with any thing I saw as probably benifiting both sides. The players we need we don't have the assets Hex would find acceptable unless we offer players I see as core forwards. Looking @ it that way I just couldn't come up with any thing I deemed doable.

The reason I largely stay away from teams I don't know as well is because we fans tend to over value our own players while targeting players the other team values @ least as much. & many proposals I see on various boards don't take other teams needs into account (hard to do when you really don't see much of that team).

20 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

With all the talk about a RW to play with Gaudreau/Monahan I thought I'd throw a possibility out for discussion. I tend to use teams/players I actually know a fair ammount about (I watch them a lot) & liking both teams endeavor to make a trade as fair as possible for both sides (a hockey trade). As said given the youth of the players the result is 1 that really couldn't be decided for about 5 years. If it works out ideally both teams are better than before.

Looking @ needs from both sides this was about the fairest I could come up with. I'm not even sure I'd do it if I were the GM of either team.

Staying with teams I know I tried to imagine a trade with the Flyers but couldn't come up with any thing I saw as probably benifiting both sides. The players we need we don't have the assets Hex would find acceptable unless we offer players I see as core forwards. Looking @ it that way I just couldn't come up with any thing I deemed doable.

The reason I largely stay away from teams I don't know as well is because we fans tend to over value our own players while targeting players the other team values @ least as much. & many proposals I see on various boards don't take other teams needs into account (hard to do when you really don't see much of that team).

What I find encouraging about BT is his ability to get trades where we don't think it's possible.  I get the value of a pick, but we have picked up two top 4 defensemen for just picks.  The goaltending trades have used almost as much of our picks on the last two years as a Dougie and/or Hamonic.  Elliott for a 2nd (almost a 3rd as well).  Smith for a 3rd (possibly 2nd) and a good prospect.  Lack, a 7th and a guy we bought out for a bag of peanuts + 6th wasn't horrible as it gets rid of a contract.  

I hope that he can find some of the same value for forwards.  We don't hear who is being offered by teams, so we don't really have a sense of the value.  Considering that teams seem to sign guys on cheap deals this time of year, you never really know if they are thinking about getting rid of a player elsewhere.  Hendricks is an interesting signing.  Like the guys spirit, but don't know that he has that much left in him.  He's got a SO move that freezes the goalie almost every time.  He will fight anyone for the team.  Does he bump a 3rd line guy or is he strictly depth.

The reason I asked about Dahlin was that was the lotto pick draft choice.  The best you could hope for.  You know yourself that the chances of the Jets drafting 1st are slim to none.  Not saying they make the playoffs, just that they lucked out getting Laine.  Doesn;t happen unless they are really bad.  

If we can't trade without sacrificing the future, then we need the guys to step up and also sign a guy that is top 6 for depth.  Jagr does that or at least provides the insulation for Ferland and Tkachuk to play different roles.  Jagr scores like a top line player, that is where he stays.  Allows you to use Ferland on his natural side and load up Bennett with Tkachuk.  Jagr could also be used as a RW for Bennett.  Then we aren't relying on Poirier or Foo to come in and sticking.   

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I find encouraging about BT is his ability to get trades where we don't think it's possible.  I get the value of a pick, but we have picked up two top 4 defensemen for just picks.  The goaltending trades have used almost as much of our picks on the last two years as a Dougie and/or Hamonic.  Elliott for a 2nd (almost a 3rd as well).  Smith for a 3rd (possibly 2nd) and a good prospect.  Lack, a 7th and a guy we bought out for a bag of peanuts + 6th wasn't horrible as it gets rid of a contract.  

I hope that he can find some of the same value for forwards.  We don't hear who is being offered by teams, so we don't really have a sense of the value.  Considering that teams seem to sign guys on cheap deals this time of year, you never really know if they are thinking about getting rid of a player elsewhere.  Hendricks is an interesting signing.  Like the guys spirit, but don't know that he has that much left in him.  He's got a SO move that freezes the goalie almost every time.  He will fight anyone for the team.  Does he bump a 3rd line guy or is he strictly depth.

The reason I asked about Dahlin was that was the lotto pick draft choice.  The best you could hope for.  You know yourself that the chances of the Jets drafting 1st are slim to none.  Not saying they make the playoffs, just that they lucked out getting Laine.  Doesn;t happen unless they are really bad.  

If we can't trade without sacrificing the future, then we need the guys to step up and also sign a guy that is top 6 for depth.  Jagr does that or at least provides the insulation for Ferland and Tkachuk to play different roles.  Jagr scores like a top line player, that is where he stays.  Allows you to use Ferland on his natural side and load up Bennett with Tkachuk.  Jagr could also be used as a RW for Bennett.  Then we aren't relying on Poirier or Foo to come in and sticking.   

Bt has made some dang good trades. Maybe he's waiting for a UFA to get desperate & sign on the cheap. Or wait to see what's available via trade or the waiver wire when teams solidify their roster after training camp. Maybe he can pull off another wowser.

Jets signing Hendricks surprised the heck out of me. All I can figure is injury insurance while using him in very limited situations. My guess is he'll get to know the pressbox well. I hope he likes popcorn. :)

The Jets definitely got lucky in the lotto scoring Laine @ #2. The following year I was treated to the Flyers moving up to #2 for Patrick. :) Flukey it happened to my #3 & then #1 teams back to back.

As I mentioned when putting that trade together I assumed the pick as around #20. If the Jets did end up out of the playoffs, won the lottery for 1st OA but had traded the pick that trade would be uber lopsided.

Trying to put a fair trade together I even considered Vesalainen (the big Finnish RW the Jets took @ #24) with the Jets adding a pick as he & Valimaki have = NHL experience. It would be like the Flames trading down 8 spots after the fact to exchange players by position of need while replacing a pick that BT spent well. With both Finns being unknowns I just couldn't decide what pick(s) would be fair.

SN has their annual team preview up today & figure the player to watch is Bennett. They (like many here) suggest @ least trying him on Gaudreau/Monahan's RW.

They feel with a stronger start than last year the Flames will be fighting off the Oilers (with it being close) for @ least the #2 spot in the Pacific (in the Ducks preview they figure Anaheim will be hard pressed to keep the Alberta teams @ bay). They seem very positive about the Flames.

I'd still like to add Jagr myself as if he clicks on the top line Bennett has an extra year to get back to center. I also don't want to have to rely on Foo or Poirier either (although if either is gold in camp it'd be a nice bonus).

19 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Bt has made some dang good trades. Maybe he's waiting for a UFA to get desperate & sign on the cheap. Or wait to see what's available via trade or the waiver wire when teams solidify their roster after training camp. Maybe he can pull off another wowser.

Jets signing Hendricks surprised the heck out of me. All I can figure is injury insurance while using him in very limited situations. My guess is he'll get to know the pressbox well. I hope he likes popcorn. :)

The Jets definitely got lucky in the lotto scoring Laine @ #2. The following year I was treated to the Flyers moving up to #2 for Patrick. :) Flukey it happened to my #3 & then #1 teams back to back.

As I mentioned when putting that trade together I assumed the pick as around #20. If the Jets did end up out of the playoffs, won the lottery for 1st OA but had traded the pick that trade would be uber lopsided.

Trying to put a fair trade together I even considered Vesalainen (the big Finnish RW the Jets took @ #24) with the Jets adding a pick as he & Valimaki have = NHL experience. It would be like the Flames trading down 8 spots after the fact to exchange players by position of need while replacing a pick that BT spent well. With both Finns being unknowns I just couldn't decide what pick(s) would be fair.

SN has their annual team preview up today & figure the player to watch is Bennett. They (like many here) suggest @ least trying him on Gaudreau/Monahan's RW.

They feel with a stronger start than last year the Flames will be fighting off the Oilers (with it being close) for @ least the #2 spot in the Pacific (in the Ducks preview they figure Anaheim will be hard pressed to keep the Alberta teams @ bay). They seem very positive about the Flames.

I'd still like to add Jagr myself as if he clicks on the top line Bennett has an extra year to get back to center. I also don't want to have to rely on Foo or Poirier either (although if either is gold in camp it'd be a nice bonus).

One of the main reasons I don't want to give up on Valamaki is the fact we are going to need top prospects in the D position in about 3 - 5 years when Giordano starts to go down. Will that player be Brodie to take over his minutes? Or will it be Valamaki. 

Although, when will Vesalainen be ready? Same time? Is he a top 6 or top 9 player prospect? I called us picking a D because it seemed like the year to do it, plus the need for keeping the D good for years to come. If the trend is moving to getting top 3-6 forwards for top4 D, then they're really good currency to have in your back pocket. 

The only way I see us doing it is if we get someone now and the other team is looking to their future. 

7 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I like what I saw of him in the SC series, he is tenacious, plays the game hard and showed he knows how to score. he would be a C switched to RW with a RHS which can be used in certain face off draw situations. If we have these solid pairing for our forward lines we should be looking for complimentary players, this is where I think players such Sissons, Lazar, Foo to name a few can start filling these positions and have success.

Archived