So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

8 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I think Ferland fits the role perfectly.  He can skate, can score and is tough, helping to protect the others.  I'm not sure what the obsession is with a supposed "top line" RW?  

Of course there's a obsession. It's the nature of the beast since "fan" is a shortening of "fanatic" . ;)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The obsession should be getting bennetts line going not replacing ferland, its also a more realistic goal then finding a top line RW.

I have to agree. The top line pairing of Money and JH is going to contribute their fair share of scoring regardless of who the put on that line to play with them.

The better and cheaper solution is to focus on getting Bennett some good wingers that will truly help him progress and contribute more.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I have to agree. The top line pairing of Money and JH is going to contribute their fair share of scoring regardless of who the put on that line to play with them.

The better and cheaper solution is to focus on getting Bennett some good wingers that will truly help him progress and contribute more.

Seeing that Jagr is not really a top line option, what would you think about him on Bennett's RW?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Seeing that Jagr is not really a top line option, what would you think about him on Bennett's RW?

1st thought is too much money . 2nd thought is likely too much of a distraction.

I understand there are not a lot of quality options available to us, without spending assets we don't have or don't want to get rid of, so I would just ask "Is Jagr  being promoted as a possibility because he is one of the few? or is he really a suitable fit to us at this time..

Likely not that suitable or cheap....

14 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

1st thought is too much money . 2nd thought is likely too much of a distraction.

I understand there are not a lot of quality options available to us, without spending assets we don't have or don't want to get rid of, so I would just ask "Is Jagr  being promoted as a possibility because he is one of the few? or is he really a suitable fit to us at this time..

Likely not that suitable or cheap....

How about Vanek on a short term? His last contract was 1 year @ 2.6.
Only 33 so even a 2 year contract to drop the $s doesn't hurt like a 35+ contract would.

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

How about Vanek on a short term? His last contract was 1 year @ 2.6.
Only 33 so even a 2 year contract to drop the $s doesn't hurt like a 35+ contract would.

I don't mind Vanek. Big, strong presence in front of net. Within our limited budget remaining.

Could he be motivated to play every night? Might fit.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I don't mind Vanek. Big, strong presence in front of net. Within our limited budget remaining.

Could he be motivated to play every night? Might fit.

A remote controlled cattle prod in his shorts would ensure motivation. :lol:

17 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I think Ferland fits the role perfectly.  He can skate, can score and is tough, helping to protect the others.  I'm not sure what the obsession is with a supposed "top line" RW?  

Ferland can do all that you say, just that he tries to do it all, all the time.  And subsequently fails to put together consistency.

No one except players of Jarome Iginla's caliber can do it all, all the time.  Ferland is not Iginla.  If the plan is to have Ferland play first line all season, then he has to simplify his game and give up hitting and fighting (which I'm okay with).  If Gadzic plays, then Ferland better not drop the gloves all season.  He needs to stay healthy and conserve energy.  Play a less taxing style.  Are we okay with that? 

Is Ferland okay with that?  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ferland can do all that you say, just that he tries to do it all, all the time.  And subsequently fails to put together consistency.

No one except players of Jarome Iginla's caliber can do it all, all the time.  Ferland is not Iginla.  If the plan is to have Ferland play first line all season, then he has to simplify his game and give up hitting and fighting (which I'm okay with).  If Gadzic plays, then Ferland better not drop the gloves all season.  He needs to stay healthy and conserve energy.  Play a less taxing style.  Are we okay with that? 

If he is on the top line then he will be hitting in the offensive zone.  You need that disruption or the puck is going to come back out as soon as it's turned over.  Unfortunately, It's going to be Ferland or Gio sticking up for a dirty hit on Johnny.  May not always be a fight.  But it's gong to be close to it.     

23 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The obsession should be getting bennetts line going not replacing ferland, its also a more realistic goal then finding a top line RW.

And to be fair the obsession should really just be finding a sniper. There are a few ways you could slot that in so it's more of a type of player they need as opposed to a certain role, ala top line. 

The advantage to finding someone on the top line is it moves ferland down to bennetts line where he probably should be anyway. So it does fix both issues. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

And to be fair the obsession should really just be finding a sniper. There are a few ways you could slot that in so it's more of a type of player they need as opposed to a certain role, ala top line. 

The advantage to finding someone on the top line is it moves ferland down to bennetts line where he probably should be anyway. So it does fix both issues. 

If all you want is a sniper Ferland has shown he is a good sniper. I think the ideal RW for that line is a 6'2 200lb Hudler.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think many are okay with that. Most posters here want Ferland to be the protection for JH on that line.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

If all you want is a sniper Ferland has shown he is a good sniper. I think the ideal RW for that line is a 6'2 200lb Hudler.

Ferland has shown he can be a sniper for about a week. I would not classify ferland as a sniper and in fact would argue his shot is one of his bigger weaknesses. 

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I don't think many are okay with that. Most posters here want Ferland to be the protection for JH on that line.

To be fair, I want Ferland to do the things that make him successful.  Hitting was always a part of that.  Fighting is not something that he needs to do, but he is a team-first guy and responds.  Bieksa will always be his nemesis, so those fights are almost a given.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Ferland has shown he can be a sniper for about a week. I would not classify ferland as a sniper and in fact would argue his shot is one of his bigger weaknesses. 

You can argue all you want, one thing for sure if he plays on that line he will learn lots. If you only put another sniper who isn't a play maker or threat on his own you will still make it easy for the opposition to shut JG down. This IMO is why Ferland is not the full answer.

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't understand the idea of starting him on the first line (apart from him being the muscle on the line). Given his tendency to play well in bursts followed by stretches of lack lustre play, I identify him as a 3rd line RW at best. I like Ferland, but I believe that if he is on our first line, our success is going to be limited. Johnny and Monahan are great players, no doubt. I just don't think that they have the chemistry or talent to play without a third threat. I would assume that most would agree with me given our inability to score last year especially in the playoffs. Shut down Johnny or Monahan and the first like is mute. This is partly why our second line was so effective by comparison.

9 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't understand the idea of starting him on the first line (apart from him being the muscle on the line). Given his tendency to play well in bursts followed by stretches of lack lustre play, I identify him as a 3rd line RW at best. I like Ferland, but I believe that if he is on our first line, our success is going to be limited. Johnny and Monahan are great players, no doubt. I just don't think that they have the chemistry or talent to play without a third threat. I would assume that most would agree with me given our inability to score last year especially in the playoffs. Shut down Johnny or Monahan and the first like is mute. This is partly why our second line was so effective by comparison.

This is why I say people need to manage their expectations because we are still a growing team. Ferland in probably everyone's mind isn't the end answer for that line but just think about the experience he will gain. Let's say he learns and does get shuffled to say Backlund's line, would that be so bad for the team, NO. We have to buy Tkachuk and Bennett this season to play together and hopefully become a 3rd force for the team. We are still in build mode and what the team accomplishes this season could bode well for years to come IMO.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This is why I say people need to manage their expectations because we are still a growing team. Ferland in probably everyone's mind isn't the end answer for that line but just think about the experience he will gain. Let's say he learns and does get shuffled to say Backlund's line, would that be so bad for the team, NO. We have to buy Tkachuk and Bennett this season to play together and hopefully become a 3rd force for the team. We are still in build mode and what the team accomplishes this season could bode well for years to come IMO.

I agree with you about where we are at in terms of development. I suspect, however, that many Flames fans are in a "win now" mode. Of course, part of the beauty of hockey is that anything can happen. Smashville is a good example.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

I agree with you about where we are at in terms of development. I suspect, however, that many Flames fans are in a "win now" mode. Of course, part of the beauty of hockey is that anything can happen. Smashville is a good example.

Hey your are right it does happen and that is ok so long as it happens within the determined path. Nothing wrong with some early success.

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Hey your are right it does happen and that is ok so long as it happens within the determined path. Nothing wrong with some early success.

I dont think there has to be a big difference between us building and us being in "win now" mode, both could happen going into next season. Honestly johnny/mony will continue to produce regardless of who plays on their right side they have proved that. What needs to happen is bennetts line needs to really get going, if I was an opposing couch, deciding which guy to match with my top pairing, it would be difficult between the top 3 lines if bennett gets going. Also to go further with that, in my mind its ok to have a couple gaps in your forward group, if you have good pairings and a good defensive group, which at this point we do. 

I dont expect the flames to necessarily be the #1 team in the western conference next year, but if we were a wild card team again id be very disappointed. After November we were a top 5 team in wins, obviously that could change with injuries or luck. But our goaltending should be better from the word go, our defensive group is elite, and our forward group should take a step. I think if we arent a top 10 team next year, its disappointing. If Bennets line gets going, we are talking about 3 very good offensive lines, and an elite D corp, theres no way it shouldnt be a top 10 team.

4 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

And yet, Nashville will miss the playoffs next season.

It's not even inconceivable.  They still struggle with depth scoring.  Outside of Johansen and Forsberg, it's a bunch of no names.  And they lose James Neal plus Johansen will start the season on IR.  Their forward group is hardly more scary than LV, VAN, and ARI.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And yet, Nashville will miss the playoffs next season.

It's not even inconceivable.  They still struggle with depth scoring.  Outside of Johansen and Forsberg, it's a bunch of no names.  And they lose James Neal plus Johansen will start the season on IR.  Their forward group is hardly more scary than LV, VAN, and ARI.

Actually it's young names like Arvidsson and Aberg. They also have $13.5mil in the bank, so they've left the options door wide open as well.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Actually it's young names like Arvidsson and Aberg. They also have $13.5mil in the bank, so they've left the options door wide open as well.

I am just quoting you to show topic. 

Dallas improved so it could make it difficult on the Preds, even us. That makes it imperative to have a winning record against our division. Our success hinges on what we do against Vancouver, LV, Arizona, and LA... especially. 

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am just quoting you to show topic. 

Dallas improved so it could make it difficult on the Preds, even us. That makes it imperative to have a winning record against our division. Our success hinges on what we do against Vancouver, LV, Arizona, and LA... especially. 

I'm really looking at Dallas with a hairy eyeball. Radulov, Hanzal, Methot, top $ contracts, like you didn't negotiate, just bought them.

Methot at $4.9? Wow, guess he's their number 1 guy. Same old Dallas...

Bishop, just how quickly did Stevie Y know Vas was going to run Bishop over?

He was available for a full year.

Yzerman is hyper-great at GM as we can all see, did he not have faith in Bishop, or did Bishop's agent try to play hardball ala Drouin?

Again Dallas, all O, no D. Did you not "surprise" only 2 years ago?

It could very well be a train wreck, imho.

But I agree with your premise, it's a very even league. If there are teams you should crush, you'd better be doing it. Can't just say we're better and make excuses, gotta prove it.

Archived