So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

9 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

And if he has an amazing season he is tradable, lets wait to see how this season plays out before condemning the deal. IF andersson comes into camp ready and steals a spot why cant they trade him at the beginning of the season.

Also If kulak plays full time this season, then we did graduate a D man, technically he hasent graduated yet playing some time in the AAA last year. I dont get where this 12 mins a night is coming from, GG has said he wants his #5 to play 18 mins a night, even if he plays 16 thats still great. 

I not condemning anything.  I was responding to being tradeable or not.  The salary makes trading him more difficult if he only plays 3rd pair minutes, since he would only play against lesser players or have less offense.

How do you figure a #5 plays 18 minutes a night?  The top 4 is going to get the PP and PK time.  Gio and Brodie will average 20+.  Hammer has shown he can.  Dougie should get 20, since he's the best offensive D-man we have.  Engelland played about 18 due to the number of PK's he was on.  His partner was closer to 12.  I tend to think that was a lot to do with who else was available.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I not condemning anything.  I was responding to being tradeable or not.  The salary makes trading him more difficult if he only plays 3rd pair minutes, since he would only play against lesser players or have less offense.

How do you figure a #5 plays 18 minutes a night?  The top 4 is going to get the PP and PK time.  Gio and Brodie will average 20+.  Hammer has shown he can.  Dougie should get 20, since he's the best offensive D-man we have.  Engelland played about 18 due to the number of PK's he was on.  His partner was closer to 12.  I tend to think that was a lot to do with who else was available.  

Im not figuring anything, im simply quoting what GG said. Im assuming stone and hamonic will get the pk time over hammy, so theres him getting almost 18 like engelland. Im going to say that we see hamonic, stone, brodie and gio get pk time.

BT subtracted Wideman/Engelland then ads Hamonic/Stone with a savings of $0.82M.  The team is going to miss Engalland’s physical play but I’ll take the later pair anytime.  We’ll have $25-26M tied up in our 7 dmen, which is right where we should be in relation to the Cap.  Our young D are no different than our young goalies, jobs aren’t handed out, the player needs to take it………then BT will accommodate him.

I’m not seeing any big FA signings tmrw, unless we can pick up a bargain forward at under $2.5M.  The rest of the loot will need to be shared amoungst the RFA’s.

You know what guys, I like what BT has done. In Stone you get a known commodity. He already knows the systems, and is an insurance policy if something happens in your top 4. Not to mention, he could slide into the PK unit and give one of the other top 4 guys a break from it. And I prefer to look at it this way - last season we had Wideman and Engelland at $8.25 mil. We've essentially swapped them for Hamonic and Stone at $7.4 mil. That's an upgrade at D with a cap savings. BT isn't messing around. He's giving the team a chance to win. 

Edit - Great minds think alike CheersMan! Beat me by a few minutes! Lol

I tend to agree Cheers and lou. I'd have sure preferred 2.5 max but that's not realistic. 

We need a RWer for the money is my thought, but the 5 D really gives GG options to give different looks.

Also, we've been mired in not having much trade value on our roster if we need to add. Not saying that is Stone solving it, but it's an improvement imo.

I can relate with those that don't like the signing, I initially cringed. But I can see how this could be a savvy move as more teams run 4 good forward lines. Being really solid on D might be the prescription.

Guess we'll find out.

6 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

A quote from HF regarding the Flames D:

"That's as good as it gets with regards to bluelines.

Great time to be Mike Smith."

LOL!  Mike will be there in case something sneaks thru.  :lol:

The Stone signing might be 500k to 1m over where you would like to see for a 5th defenseman, but Stone is only 26 and is a good defenseman who can jump up and play top 4 minutes when needed. 

This team has been extremely fortunate injury wise the last few years, Stone gives you injury insurance, which we didn't have.

I'm a fan of BT's moves. Stone is a 5th Dman only because we're stacked at the position...he's a 3/4 on pretty much any other team. I'm actually impressed with the cap hit...Stone could have got more on the UFA market. I do feel a bit for Bouma though...he was overpaid but he did bring that gritty game. I too think the Flames will be a fairly quiet on July 1, they made a smart choice by getting most of their work done before free agency. Next up, Ferland, Bennett and Lazar and whatever if any UFA we might sign. 

I don't think he meant play 18 minutes every night but rather play a large chunk of minutes so that the defense can conserve energy and therefore play fast for 60 minutes. Maybe on back to backs playing 18 but the intent was to close to evenly distribute minutes. It was something that was talked about last year and never came to fruition cus half our defense bombed.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Moveable as any 3x3.5m D-man is.  If he falls off a cliff, then he isn't tradable.  

Top 4 asset if he shows he plays like a top 4.  If he's playing 12 minutes a night and is unable to suppress goals or add offense, then not so much.

I don't hate the deal.  Not my first choice for a 3rd pair depth guy.  Decent enough I guess.  Depth for sure.  Another Engelland contract on the books.

Do hope that he can rebound from last season.  Andersson may not be quite ready yet, which is fine.  But not having any spots on RD is a little annoying.

Would at least like to graduate one D-man this year.   

Appears the LSD will be the graduation point.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Signing a #5 on the depth chart to $3.5-mil for 3-years? I thought we learned our lesson from Engellend.

Not happy about this.  

I wonder how Ramus Andersson feels about this...

Engelland earned every dollar of his contract. Poor example....

11 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Engelland earned every dollar of his contract. Poor example....

Not speaking for Peeps, but the comp is salary playing on the 3rd pair.

The player fills in for injury on a 2nd or 1st pair, then obviously the money looks fine.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If we signed Stone to a 1 year deal at $3.5-mil, then I think everyone would be cool with it.  But we don't trust Andersson will be ready within 3-years?  Or Fox?

I look at it a bit different. Stone is high priced insurance for depth for our D. I don't like the price however...

If a prospect is ready to step up and play better then they will get the spot. That just gives us flexibility. If none can outplay Stone then we don't have that void. D are in demand. How easy Stone can be traded(If needed) now is the question. Flames sat Wideman because he did not play better than the bottom pairing D so same would apply for Stone.

I was hoping that we would sign a higher priced Winger  that could move up and down the lineup. For Flames I think Stone is viewed as this for the D. I don't quite share this view.. He was good for 2-3 weeks and mostly disappeared last season.

So the remaining UFA forwards I would have interest in are Marleau, Jokinen, Vanek. To lesser extents Yakupov and Doan.

I am going to throw out one name fully expected to get killed on here for it. Ales Hemsky. What is his situation? Is he anywhere near healthy enough to play? If he is I can't imagine it would cost much to sign him.

Archived