So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

4 minutes ago, kehatch said:

It means just that. I try splitting Hamilton and Giordano in camp, but if chemistry doesn't develop quickly I revert to the Giordano-Hamilton pair because I know it works. 

I am fine with Brodie-Hamonic if thst ends up working the best. But I think if you can get one of the big boys on each of the top pairs your better off then if you stacked the deck on one pair. 

As much as our PP improved, I think we should be adjusting the PP units a bit on defense.  Dougie manning the point on the top unit.  Gio-Brodie on the 2nd unit.

Brodie is not a shoot-first player and all that happened most times was a lot of passing.  Hamilton was one of the best players for getting a shot through.

PP1

JH-Monahan-Ferland

Bennett-Dougie

PP2

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Gio-Brodie

First off, Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland and Frolik need to start getting more PP time.  Perhaps Ferland is a better point man and play Bennett down low.  Secondly, you need to have a point guy like Hamilton to create the 2nd chances for the forwards.  Gio-Brodie provides puckhandling and shot generation for the Backlund unit.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but I was very frustrated watching the same plays every PP chance we had.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As much as our PP improved, I think we should be adjusting the PP units a bit on defense.  Dougie manning the point on the top unit.  Gio-Brodie on the 2nd unit.

Brodie is not a shoot-first player and all that happened most times was a lot of passing.  Hamilton was one of the best players for getting a shot through.

PP1

JH-Monahan-Ferland

Bennett-Dougie

PP2

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Gio-Brodie

First off, Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland and Frolik need to start getting more PP time.  Perhaps Ferland is a better point man and play Bennett down low.  Secondly, you need to have a point guy like Hamilton to create the 2nd chances for the forwards.  Gio-Brodie provides puckhandling and shot generation for the Backlund unit.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but I was very frustrated watching the same plays every PP chance we had.

Not at all! I think you're right on the money. Having Brouwer on there seems a waste. Maybe they're justifying the cash they're giving him? 

But when we have other offensive guys that can do better! All they need is practice there.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

PP1

JH-Monahan-Ferland

Bennett-Dougie

PP2

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Gio-Brodie

I really liked our PP last season, especially that both units usually got equal time. That was one of the best changes the current coaching staff made.

When our first unit was on fire, they burned every PK no matter who was on the opponents side, but they had also a few plays where they made too many fancy passes that let to breakaways. The second unit was not that flashy but had the thread of 4-5 potential shooters, which made them more unpredictable and a more consistant thread IMO.

I think the reason Brodie was on that first unit, was because he is our fastest D and with 4 forwards on that unit, he's the best option to catch someone, should we give away the puck for a potential breakaway. But I agree with travel_dude that I would change the units a bit should the personnel be the same as last season

PP1

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk/Ferland/Brouwer

Gio-Versteeg

If Versteeg is brought back, he will be back on the Blueline with the man advantage, which was one of his strengths last season. This unit played often in the umbrella and sometimes got caught for overpassing. With the addition of our captain you still have 2 skilled passers in Johnny & Kris but you also have now 2 legimate shooting threads from the blueline in Gio and Versteeg! This could lead to having one of Brouwer or Ferland as the 3rd man up front, who will become more useful with their work in front of the net. Although Tkachuk would be my first choice on that unit, because not only does he give you the netpresence adn work behind the goal, he also gives you a dangerous passer from behind the goalline, where not only Monahan but one of the incoming blueliner could benefit from.

PP2

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik/Ferland/Tkachuk

Brodie-Hamilton

The second unit was more of a shooting line, where you had 2 dangerous guys from the blueline, but also all 3 forwards who could score from anywhere. What I really like about that unit was that every forward would go in front of the net, whether it was for screening the goalie or a deflection. Now with the switch from Gio to Brodie you only have one bomb in Hamilton on the blueline, so in order to stay unpredictable, either Brodie needs to start shooting more or Backs needs to change his role a bit by sometimes switching positions with Brodie when he comes from the halfboards. Backlund has a heavy shot and should use it more often on the PP. While Brodie replaces most of the passing ability you lost with Tkachuk on that unit, Bennett and Frolik will give you hard work around the goal, screening the goalie and Bennett has also an excellent shot from the slot.   

Overall, I think the Coaching staff has many different combinations that can work on the PP, and that's a very good thing to have.

11 hours ago, kehatch said:

It means just that. I try splitting Hamilton and Giordano in camp, but if chemistry doesn't develop quickly I revert to the Giordano-Hamilton pair because I know it works. 

I am fine with Brodie-Hamonic if thst ends up working the best. But I think if you can get one of the big boys on each of the top pairs your better off then if you stacked the deck on one pair. 

I think all 4 of these guys are big boys and it shouldn't take to much thought by GG to see who will compliments who.

41 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think all 4 of these guys are big boys and it shouldn't take to much thought by GG to see who will compliments who.

Except both Hamonic and Brodie have struggled to carry a line. Brodie looked good with Hamilton and great with Giordano, but has struggled away from them. Similar story with Hamonic. Agree Gulutzan will figure it out. 

33 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Except both Hamonic and Brodie have struggled to carry a line. Brodie looked good with Hamilton and great with Giordano, but has struggled away from them. Similar story with Hamonic. Agree Gulutzan will figure it out. 

FN had an article about the strengths and weaknesses both Brodie and Hamonic.  Where one struggles, the other is good.  On paper it makes sense.  At the very least, Hamonic is a stable partner that Brodie can work with.  

21 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I think Brodie's issues this season were of his own making and adjusting to the right side. I won't say he had no confidence in Wideman but both ended up with terrible play in our end. Brodie needs a stabilizer as a partner, Giordano was this for him and I think Hamonic can be as well. The reason I don't see Hamiton with him is because Hamilton big body and all is not that great of a defender yet. I hope this improves but not while playing with Brodie.

On a different note, Jordan Weal is a UFA that might be an interesting fit for the Flames.  Only 5'10", but he is a RHS center.  Better NHL numbers than Lazar.  Good AHL numbers.  Could be a decent RW for us.  You sign him if you are walking away from Chaisson or Versteeg re-signs elsewhere.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110234

Older scouting report from January 2016:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/1/7/10727456/jordan-weal-scouting-report-flyers-trade-kings

I already know everyone is going to hate the idea because of where he played, but I wonder if its worth it to take a flyer on Tyler Pitlick. 2nd round pick who plays a real hard game but he's got the ability to score too. Small sample size, and his shooting % was high, but lat year he was on fire for the Oilers and really looked like he had arrived till be had an ACL injury. 

If you want to go the low cost route, I really like him based on the fact he can give you both physicality and some goal scoring ability. Probably don't need to give him much $ either, he'll just want a chance. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I already know everyone is going to hate the idea because of where he played, but I wonder if its worth it to take a flyer on Tyler Pitlick. 2nd round pick who plays a real hard game but he's got the ability to score too. Small sample size, and his shooting % was high, but lat year he was on fire for the Oilers and really looked like he had arrived till be had an ACL injury. 

If you want to go the low cost route, I really like him based on the fact he can give you both physicality and some goal scoring ability. Probably don't need to give him much $ either, he'll just want a chance. 

Like the player good size, good skater, plays hard, goes to the net. Injury history is a concern, but worth taking a flyer on.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

On a different note, Jordan Weal is a UFA that might be an interesting fit for the Flames.  Only 5'10", but he is a RHS center.  Better NHL numbers than Lazar.  Good AHL numbers.  Could be a decent RW for us.  You sign him if you are walking away from Chaisson or Versteeg re-signs elsewhere.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110234

Older scouting report from January 2016:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/1/7/10727456/jordan-weal-scouting-report-flyers-trade-kings

Weal might be my favorite RW target right now. Every RW option on the market right now comes with a certain level of risk, with Weal he shouldn't cost a ton, but he just needs a chance to prove what he can do.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Weal might be my favorite RW target right now. Every RW option on the market right now comes with a certain level of risk, with Weal he shouldn't cost a ton, but he just needs a chance to prove what he can do.

I would be inclined to offer him what we were plannning on offering Chaisson, but over a longer term.  Shouldn't cost more than $1.25m.  At worst, you send him to the AHL and he gets claimed or you have $950k in cap relief.  At best, he outplays Lazar and Brouwer, and could be a threat for the top 6.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would be inclined to offer him what we were plannning on offering Chaisson, but over a longer term.  Shouldn't cost more than $1.25m.  At worst, you send him to the AHL and he gets claimed or you have $950k in cap relief.  At best, he outplays Lazar and Brouwer, and could be a threat for the top 6.  

I'm not really hyped about him. I'd take him @ minimum 2 way with no expectations.

A few articles I read today make me feel more positive we'll re-sign Versteeg. It's interview week & unless someone over pays he'll hopefully stay. I'm assuming the offer(s) BT made weren't insulting.

6 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm not really hyped about him. I'd take him @ minimum 2 way with no expectations.

A few articles I read today make me feel more positive we'll re-sign Versteeg. It's interview week & unless someone over pays he'll hopefully stay. I'm assuming the offer(s) BT made weren't insulting.

he's definitely popular :

And BT better hurry up the more they call the higher the price gets --

so as expected , no QO for Yakupov

I just cant help keep coming back to there is just too much talent there that somebody is gonna learn to use it to help him help himself.

It could be worth a 1 year 2 way contract to find out?  not sure who all may take a gamble on him , but even a PTO. I mean GG basically saved Sven's career , thats gotta be a tempting project. Low risk , high reward . See how he plays when his next stop is Switzerland if he fails. Hed get the chance at higher minutes here than he did in STL as well

Hitchcock of all people praised his defensive game when he arrived in STL. so its not like he's a liability 

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

so as expected , no QO for Yakupov

I just cant help keep coming back to there is just too much talent there that somebody is gonna learn to use it to help him help himself.

It could be worth a 1 year 2 way contract to find out?  not sure who all may take a gamble on him , but even a PTO. I mean GG basically saved Sven's career , thats gotta be a tempting project. Low risk , high reward . See how he plays when his next stop is Switzerland if he fails. Hed get the chance at higher minutes here than he did in STL as well

Hitchcock of all people praised his defensive game when he arrived in STL. so its not like he's a liability 

Likely headed to the KHL.  Unless he's desperate, he not going to accept a PTO.    

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Likely headed to the KHL.  Unless he's desperate, he not going to accept a PTO.    

possible , if no deal .. but agent keeps saying he wants an NHL contract next year..  if this doesn't motivate him , nothing will.

Put his stall next to Mike Smith .. old school Oilers motivation . I sure wouldn't want that glaring at me every time i had a bad game 

Archived