So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Pribyl could be that replacement but how soon will be the question with him. This is why BT would be smart to bring back Versteeg who can practically play anywhere.

I keep hoping for the dude to break out.  Seems he has to break out of the hospital ward first.  What a bad string of luck he's had.  Cervenka-like bad luck.

He was thought to be a top RW in the making.  Right now, it seems that he's below Chaisson, Brouwer, Versteeg, Frolik and Ferland.  Maybe even Hathaway.

I have no issue with Versteeg.  If it was Versteeg or Chaisson, I wouldn't even have to think about it.   

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I keep hoping for the dude to break out.  Seems he has to break out of the hospital ward first.  What a bad string of luck he's had.  Cervenka-like bad luck.

He was thought to be a top RW in the making.  Right now, it seems that he's below Chaisson, Brouwer, Versteeg, Frolik and Ferland.  Maybe even Hathaway.

I have no issue with Versteeg.  If it was Versteeg or Chaisson, I wouldn't even have to think about it.   

He played one year,, and it sounds like the organization has high hopes for him still. I wouldnt say hes below those guys, maybe ferland and frolik, but versteeg may not be back, same with chiasson. I wouldnt be surprised if pribyl is with the big club next year.

Assuming for a second BT knows what he's doing with his cap, which is safe to assume since he always does.

I'm wondering if there's a big run he could take in UFA.. I was just reading the other day , he could take a serious run at Radulov

He wants long term 7, he's not going to get it.. but a 4x6.5?.. if he had to , he could buy out both Bouma and Stajan.. recapture approximately 3M.. that would be the equivalent of getting Rad for $3m.  But Im not sure he'd have to  do the buyout , you could actually just get some cap relief by sending Stajan, Bouma and Bartkowski to Stockton.. all 3 are off the books after next season anyway , and you might even get lucky by somebody pulling them off waivers 

Still allows for for other signings , 

Sign Stone to a 2.8

Get CJ back at 1.7

Bennett 3.0

ferland 2.3

some obvious juggling to do ,It's a dream , but he has surprised us before.. and man , our neighbors to the North would lose their ever loving minds 

10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

He played one year,, and it sounds like the organization has high hopes for him still. I wouldnt say hes below those guys, maybe ferland and frolik, but versteeg may not be back, same with chiasson. I wouldnt be surprised if pribyl is with the big club next year.

I don't even think like TD does, for me Pribyl's time has hit some delays due to injuries. Where he fits will only come by being healthy and showing what you are capable of then.

As a fan I hope to see him earn some spot opportunities this season.

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Assuming for a second BT knows what he's doing with his cap, which is safe to assume since he always does.

I'm wondering if there's a big run he could take in UFA.. I was just reading the other day , he could take a serious run at Radulov

He wants long term 7, he's not going to get it.. but a 4x6.5?.. if he had to , he could buy out both Bouma and Stajan.. recapture approximately 3M.. that would be the equivalent of getting Rad for $3m.  But Im not sure he'd have to  do the buyout , you could actually just get some cap relief by sending Stajan, Bouma and Bartkowski to Stockton.. all 3 are off the books after next season anyway , and you might even get lucky by somebody pulling them off waivers 

Sign Stone to a 2.8

Get CJ back at 1.7

Bennett 3.0

ferland 2.3

some obvious juggling to do ,It's a dream , but he has surprised us before.. and man , our neighbors to the North would lose their ever loving minds 

You really don't want Radulov on this team, do you ?

43 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Sign Stone to a 2.8

Get CJ back at 1.7

Bennett 3.0

ferland 2.3

We can't afford  a serious run at Radulov. We can't afford to even get in the same rink/ballpark.

b1cf1d7f3c7e210e2c90137e011c15e6.png

53 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You really don't want Radulov on this team, do you ?

I would totally take him . that top line would be absolute Death.. or even better , put HIM with Bennett

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We can't afford  a serious run at Radulov. We can't afford to even get in the same rink/ballpark.

b1cf1d7f3c7e210e2c90137e011c15e6.png

Key word here is "ask".. he wont get that . Snow wanted 2 1sts for Hamonic, didn't get that 

Only way he gets a 6 year is if its front loaded for lower cap hit.. I suspect he comes in at an AAV closer to his $5.75M he had this year 

Is it likely we go get him ?  No...  if we really wanted to , could we?  Yes

and can you say you'd honestly be surprised if BT went out and did it ?  Guaranteed he comes home with a shiny toy July 1 that nobody saw coming.. does it every year 

We speculate here , thats what we do.. may as well have some fun with it :) 

I start my lines with pairs. The guys in brackets are interchangeable:

Gaudreau-Monahan-(Fill in) 

(Ferland)-Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett-(Lazar) 

(Jankowski)-Stajan-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamonic

Brodie-Hamilton

(Fill in)-(Fill in) 

Smith

(Fill in) 

I think with the addition of Lazar and Brouwer still beeing here, it is very unlikely that Chiasson gets a new contract!

I realy liked the season he played for us, he was a pleasant surprise IMO. I didn't have high expectations after we traded for him, as many Sens fans thought he was barely an NHL player in his time with Ottawa.

He played very well on the 4th line, especially with Ferland and Stajan early in the season. I also liked him on the 3rd line at the end of the season, he was the only player that showed some chemistry with Bennett.  They were also a pretty good unit on the PK and outplayed the Stajan/Bouma duo there.

Many are nagging about his time on the top line, I thought he had some good games there, just was used to long in that position.

Then again I think at that time it wasn't easy to play as the 3rd wheel on that line as both Mony and Johnny were pretty underwhelming in the first half of the season.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think you have to be realistic in where he fits in depth right now.

Zero NHL games to his name.

Inconsistent in the AHL, regardless of injuries.

Lower points per game than Hathaway, well below a guy like Vey.

I'm not saying he's a bust, just saying that he has a lot to prove that he is NHL ready.  If he can stay healthy and start to play and score more consistently, then he will get his chance.  

27 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I start my lines with pairs. The guys in brackets are interchangeable:

Gaudreau-Monahan-(Ferland) 

(Jankowski/Sharp)-Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett-(Lazar) 

(Fill in)-(jankowski) Stajan-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamonic

Brodie-Hamilton

(Fill in)-(Fill in) 

Smith

(Fill in) 

This is almost exactly what I was thinking, although I wouldnt be surprised if we see the changes I put in.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Giordano-Hamonic

Brodie-Hamilton

curious, what is your rationale here? Genuinely asking

for me i'm not breaking up Gio-hamilton. IMO those two were better than Brodie-gio and arguably one of the best pairings in the league. Most of what i've read on Hamonic says he does better when he isn't consistently being asked to defend the top guys so combined with the fact that I think he and Brodie are a natural pairing anyway (based on skillet) and that Hamonic would always draw the key match up Brodie-Hamonic make way more sense. 

43 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would totally take him . that top line would be absolute Death.. or even better , put HIM with Bennett

Key word here is "ask".. he wont get that . Snow wanted 2 1sts for Hamonic, didn't get that 

Only way he gets a 6 year is if its front loaded for lower cap hit.. I suspect he comes in at an AAV closer to his $5.75M he had this year 

Is it likely we go get him ?  No...  if we really wanted to , could we?  Yes

and can you say you'd honestly be surprised if BT went out and did it ?  Guaranteed he comes home with a shiny toy July 1 that nobody saw coming.. does it every year 

We speculate here , thats what we do.. may as well have some fun with it :) 

The only way this would happen is if the Flames think Radulov is a suitable core type player and are also disappointed in the progress of one of our young core..(ie: Bennett).

I don't see either of those thoughts from the Flames let alone both. There are better options and much cheaper options for us for either 1st line Winger or a complimentary player for Bennett. (our most pressing needs now)

i wouldn't touch Radulov on a contract with any term

this is a guy who twice bolted and now is trying to turn 1 good, not even great, NHL season into a long term deal for big money? good luck, but I don't want to be the sucker that gets stuck with him. 

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

curious, what is your rationale here? Genuinely asking

for me i'm not breaking up Gio-hamilton. IMO those two were better than Brodie-gio and arguably one of the best pairings in the league. Most of what i've read on Hamonic says he does better when he isn't consistently being asked to defend the top guys so combined with the fact that I think he and Brodie are a natural pairing anyway (based on skillet) and that Hamonic would always draw the key match up Brodie-Hamonic make way more sense. 

I have a low threshold to returning to the Giordano-Hamilton pairing. But I see Brodie and Hamonic as players who supplement a top 4 pairing but who don't drive it. I think you get a more balanced top 4 by splitting up the top guns. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

i wouldn't touch Radulov on a contract with any term

this is a guy who twice bolted and now is trying to turn 1 good, not even great, NHL season into a long term deal for big money? good luck, but I don't want to be the sucker that gets stuck with him. 

Agree, this guy is not a team guy, no matter how well he did with the Habs last season.

My preference would be to sign a veteran on a 1year deal, a healthy Sharp who can play both wings or a pure right wing like Vrbata or Jagr (though Jaromir might be unlikely with the departure of Marchessault and R.Smith in Florida). Additionally, I'd be looking to trade for a young, close to NHL ready Right Wing, who could be our future top6 RW soon. Kasperi Kapanen would be my favorite here!

Versteeg would be more of a plan B or C for me.

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Down to the wire and still in it apparently ..

As far as I can tell, the same 4 teams were "in it", including EDM and Philly (or Vegas, depending on who you talked to).

Depends on what he values for an opportunity.

Detroit - hockey tradition, big market, Eastern Conference

Edmonton - hometown, favorite team growing up, lss opportunity currently for a shot at the NHL, McDavid

Calgary - less distractions, possible NHL spots available, balanced team 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As far as I can tell, the same 4 teams were "in it", including EDM and Philly (or Vegas, depending on who you talked to).

Edmonton - hometown, favorite team growing up, lss opportunity currently for a shot at the NHL, McDavid

With the departure of eberle, edmonton probably is just as open on the right side as we are. The only guy "cemented" in there is draisital, even though the NHL lists him as a LW, but ive seen him and mcdavid alternate on draws so who knows lol. 

All that aside, they have pool party and maybe strome(although Im hearing they might want him at 3rd line C), so who knows. For us we have frolik, ferland(if they keep playing him at RW) and then Lazar? Things are wide open in both markets for the bottom 3 lines if you ask me.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The longer he takes as teams court him the less I think of Spencer Foo. A full of himself rock star wannabe like Justin Schultz. Maybe he saw what happened there & will apply himself from day 1 or just as likely follow the same path of dreams of a huge payday there for the taking just for being the great player he sees hinself as. If it takes a trade to wake him up we've wasted a few years on him.

I have a low threshold for prima donnas.

Detroit has the time & people to set him straight. I really wouldn't mind if we or the Flyers miss out.

17 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The longer he takes as teams court him the less I think of Spencer Foo. A full of himself rock star wannabe like Justin Schultz. Maybe he saw what happened there & will apply himself from day 1 or just as likely follow the same path of dreams of a huge payday there for the taking just for being the great player he sees hinself as. If it takes a trade to wake him up we've wasted a few years on him.

I have a low threshold for prima donnas.

Detroit has the time & people to set him straight. I really wouldn't mind if we or the Flyers miss out.

I don't know if I would compare him to Jultz.  I think he wanted to do it separate from the Ex Draft (his words) so as not to insert himself into the storylines when everyone was watching.  Probably more to the point, he would like to see where teams stood after the Ex Draft.  Teams can change dramatically in a few short days.

I think the Flames got enough of a read on him when they were talking to him.  If they want him and he's a quality player, they will sign him.

5 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have a low threshold to returning to the Giordano-Hamilton pairing. But I see Brodie and Hamonic as players who supplement a top 4 pairing but who don't drive it. I think you get a more balanced top 4 by splitting up the top guns. 

What does that even mean you have a "low threshold to returning to" the Giordano-Hamilton pairing ?Brodie needs a strong defensive force to play with him and that isn't Hamilton. if Hamonic gives Brodie the confidence to be creative again then you have a winning combination that will drive a lot of offense.

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What does that even mean you have a "low threshold to returning to" the Giordano-Hamilton pairing ?Brodie needs a strong defensive force to play with him and that isn't Hamilton. if Hamonic gives Brodie the confidence to be creative again then you have a winning combination that will drive a lot of offense.

It means just that. I try splitting Hamilton and Giordano in camp, but if chemistry doesn't develop quickly I revert to the Giordano-Hamilton pair because I know it works. 

I am fine with Brodie-Hamonic if thst ends up working the best. But I think if you can get one of the big boys on each of the top pairs your better off then if you stacked the deck on one pair. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

It means just that. I try splitting Hamilton and Giordano in camp, but if chemistry doesn't develop quickly I revert to the Giordano-Hamilton pair because I know it works. 

I am fine with Brodie-Hamonic if thst ends up working the best. But I think if you can get one of the big boys on each of the top pairs your better off then if you stacked the deck on one pair. 

How much did Keith and Seabrook play together as the best two defenders on Chi?

i see what you mean though. Whatever makes us the best we can be!

Archived