So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Edmonton Journal, Foo will be making a decision by next week.

Edmonton is on his short list (4 teams), along with Philly and Detroit.  The article doesn't mention Calgary as the forth name, but it has been stated elsewhere.

Union College UFA Spencer Foo and his family visited with the #Flames last week. CGY one of 3-4 teams in running to land 23 yr old fwd.

3 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I Brought it up. and cross said it didnt look like he was going to be NHL ready next season, let alone ready for top line duty.

Hard to say if he would be NHL ready, he is 23 now so would we treat him any different that Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett or Tkachuk ? If he is a good fit for Gaudreau and Monahan what would we have to lose by letting him grow into the team this season.

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Hard to say if he would be NHL ready, he is 23 now so would we treat him any different that Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett or Tkachuk ? If he is a good fit for Gaudreau and Monahan what would we have to lose by letting him grow into the team this season.

There are exceptions (Gaudreau, Trouba, etc.) but usually I figure it's best for a college player to have @ least some time in the AHL to get used to a season that's twice as long & play against grown men.

I remember a few years ago Philly landed Read (who was sought after) because they offered a 1 way rather than 2 way contract so the base pay stayed the same in NHL or AHL. It probably would be a difference maker if he's expected th be NHL ready within a year or 2. After all, 2 ways are just under a million in base while AHL pay is closer to 60K.

52 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

It may be an extreme adjustment to go from college to 1st line NHL in the space of a summer.  JH didn't start as a 1st line player.  He was sheltered and played with Byron/Colborne, then Hudler, then Hudler/Monahan.  

His camp last year may not be a good marker for his game this year, though.  Last year, before he was invited to CGY, he was basically scoring like a Jooris.  This year he was scoring more like a Johnny Hockey.  Not quite the 2.0 p/gp, but 1.62 at least.

If he (signs and) makes the Flames out of camp, the likely place would be with Bennett.  Depends on how he compares with Lazar, but he can always be sent down to the AHL for a stint.  Lazar would be lost to waivers if they tried that.

5 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I Brought it up. and cross said it didnt look like he was going to be NHL ready next season, let alone ready for top line duty.

Cool, Sorry for mis-quoting your post. :) 

A new prospect wold be interesting. Too bad we can't find that new toy ala Vesey...

41 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

There are exceptions (Gaudreau, Trouba, etc.) but usually I figure it's best for a college player to have @ least some time in the AHL to get used to a season that's twice as long & play against grown men.

I remember a few years ago Philly landed Read (who was sought after) because they offered a 1 way rather than 2 way contract so the base pay stayed the same in NHL or AHL. It probably would be a difference maker if he's expected th be NHL ready within a year or 2. After all, 2 ways are just under a million in base while AHL pay is closer to 60K.

I don't know the NHL has become such a pansy league he would likely do just fine. LOL

I know what you are saying and worth seeing what he does look like in camp. This is another reason I hope BT signs Versteeg again as he could be used as a back up plan in a number of situations.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know the NHL has become such a pansy league he would likely do just fine. LOL

I know what you are saying and worth seeing what he does look like in camp. This is another reason I hope BT signs Versteeg again as he could be used as a back up plan in a number of situations.

Expansion teams water the league down. when you stretch out the good players it makes room for those on the bubble or some who might not normally make an NHL squad.

Just now, DirtyDeeds said:

Expansion teams water the league down. when you stretch out the good players it makes room for those on the bubble or some who might not normally make an NHL squad.

I'm just saying 23 going on 24 it will be up to him if he makes it right away. This boys vs men doesn't really mean what it use to in today's game.

Ok .. so as it sits :

we have just under 16M with which to pay / replace :

1 Backup G

2 x 3rd pair Dmen  

Resign :

Bennett (c)

Lazar (w)

Ferland(w)

Versteeg(w)

Resign or replace

Chiasson(c)

so just under an average of $2M per Player.   Highly doable, as  Only Bennett and Ferland and Maybe Versteeg should be over that mark.. unless they still resign Stone, which doesn't appear likely now .. but man , if he can.. what a D core 

I just don't see how he gets Janko up without moving Stajan

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Ok .. so as it sits :

1 Backup G

2 x 3rd pair Dmen  

Resign :

Bennett (c)

Lazar (w)

Ferland(w)

Versteeg(w)

Resign or replace

Chiasson(c)

so just under an average of $2M per Player.   Highly doable, as  Only Bennett and Ferland and Maybe Versteeg should be over that mark.. unless they still resign Stone, which doesn't appear likely now .. but man , if he can.. what a D core 

With the top 4 we have now I wouldnt be surprised to see kylington/kulak/andersson make up our third pairing. If stone takes less then 2 million a year he would be fine for bottom pairing duty, but I doubt that happens.

I personally think we may see janko or stajan shifted to the wing if janko proves he is ready to go.

40 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

With the top 4 we have now I wouldnt be surprised to see kylington/kulak/andersson make up our third pairing. If stone takes less then 2 million a year he would be fine for bottom pairing duty, but I doubt that happens.

I personally think we may see janko or stajan shifted to the wing if janko proves he is ready to go.

There should be solid competition brewing for the last 3 spots on defense for sure. My hope remains that BT can move Stajan as the smoke clears from this week's activities.

I think it is important to get Jankowski into the mix and at C not Wing.

46 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Ok .. so as it sits :

1 Backup G

2 x 3rd pair Dmen  

Resign :

Bennett (c)

Lazar (w)

Ferland(w)

Versteeg(w)

Resign or replace

Chiasson(c)

Here is how we sit after today.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Bouma, Stajan, Chiasson

Hamilton, Hathaway

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

Bartkowski, NEED

Kulak

Smith, NEED
When do all the RFA decisions have to be finalized ?

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Here is how we sit after today.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Bouma, Stajan, Chiasson

Hamilton, Hathaway

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

Bartkowski, NEED

Kulak

Smith, NEED
When do all the RFA decisions have to be finalized ?

Pretty sure qualifying offers have to go out ASAP..Monday I believe 

Unless we move Stajan somehow , at this point that "top RW" in FA likely isn't in the cards 

39 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

At this rate , Smith is gonna have the easiest job in the league next year 

at the end of the day , the casualty could be Versteeg

Stone only gets here if the cost is $2m.  Reason I say that is that a 3rd pairing guy making more than that is really bad for the cap.

Currently we sit at $59m with 9F, 5D (including Bart) and 1G.

Even if we re-up the following, we are still in good shape:

Chaisson - $1m

Lazar - $1m

Ferland - $1.5m

Versteeg - $1.5m

Bennett - $3m

Rittich (or backup) - $1m

Andersson - $1m

Kulak - $1m

That's $69m.  Add Janko.  Probably ditch Bart for Kulak.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Pretty sure qualifying offers have to go out ASAP..Monday I believe 

Unless we move Stajan somehow , at this point that "top RW" in FA likely isn't in the cards 

I am not getting that they are all that concerned about another FA RW. Bring back Versteeg and you don't need to keep Chiasson around.

Stajan has to go.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I am not getting that they are all that concerned about another FA RW. Bring back Versteeg and you don't need to keep Chiasson around.

Stajan has to go.

Well, I have always said its not our job to pay them , so BT knows better than us what the plan and ability is..but .. with the draft now over, I dont see how we move Stajan before the TDL

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

There should be solid competition brewing for the last 3 spots on defense for sure. My hope remains that BT can move Stajan as the smoke clears from this week's activities.

I think it is important to get Jankowski into the mix and at C not Wing.

I agree. Which is why im saying that if janko is ready we might see stajan on the wing.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Well, I have always said its not our job to pay them , so BT knows better than us what the plan and ability is..but .. with the draft now over, I dont see how we move Stajan before the TDL

BT has to look around and see which teams have a need for a 3rd or 4th line C. CAR is one I think could use him even if we have to retain 1M for the year.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree. Which is why im saying that if janko is ready we might see stajan on the wing.

Just get rid of Stajan we don't need him any longer.

Just now, MAC331 said:

BT has to look around and see which teams have a need for a 3rd or 4th line C. CAR is one I think could use him even if we have to retain 1M for the year.

It depends what we get for him, hes a solid player. If we only get a 6th rounder for him theres really no point in trading depth just to get rid of him. Personally id rather see him play out this year on the wing and mentor janko in a 4th line role. The other option is we trade stajan, bring up janko, and then you see janko playing 4th line minutes with bouma and chiasson or hathaway? no thank you.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

hes a good fit for a team that needs cap hit , but less spend.. his salary is only 2M with a cap hit of 3.1

I think the guy who really needs to fight for his job is Bouma! I could see him beeing waived and playing in the AHL next season ala Bollig. Whichever young guy takes his spot will be in the 900k+ from Bouma that goes down in the minors.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

hes a good fit for a team that needs cap hit , but less spend.. his salary is only 2M with a cap hit of 3.1

You mean like ARI?  They are in disarray right now with their ownership and coaching.  Maybe we can get back a 3rd in 2018.  They will either have ours as a 3rd or a 2nd, while they still have their own.  Stajan is a lower dollar, higher cap one year deal.  

Archived