So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

yup. people keep comparing him to St Louis,  but there was a reason MSL was able to look after himself..

MSL  5'8" 176 lbs

JG - 5'9" 157 lbs

basically he needs about 20 lbs.. and much like MSL, lower body primarily 

stlouis_3856-1024x1215.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I believe that MSL said that JH could only change so much without impacting his game.  Add core and lower body strength.  Bulking up isn;t going to work.  Having a training regemen that consists of eating pizza and Skittles doesn't do it.  Need to hit the gym and develop a plan.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I believe that MSL said that JH could only change so much without impacting his game.  Add core and lower body strength.  Bulking up isn;t going to work.  Having a training regemen that consists of eating pizza and Skittles doesn't do it.  Need to hit the gym and develop a plan.

exactly .. lower body strength is right .. you'll notice MSL is toned but not bulky upper body 

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Remember that awesome line we had of St Louis-M. Savard-Iggy?

Ohhhhhh right, nmd.

Walk-Horrible Trade-NMC Power

Oh yeah, Craig Anderson (3rd used to draft him) was part of the deal that brought Savard to Calgary in the first place.

Considering the bad trades CGY has made through the years, it's amazing we ever made it back to the playoffs.

15 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

so you're saying Chicago is a bad team ?

I keep pointing out chicago also won in 4 games but some people seem more inclined to point out that losing in 4 games is the worst thing, we probably should have been a lottery team instead because thats how you build a playoff team.

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

hmm.  I suppose losing in 3 would be worse, but the NHL would have to make some kind of exception.

Yeah youre right. Thanks captain obvious. 

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would love to see JG on Olympic ice.

Burke has the right idea here but I don't think he's taking it far enough.   You only get one shot in a generation or two to build an arena.

http://www.tsn.ca/burke-on-a-mission-to-increase-size-of-nhl-ice-surfaces-1.425938

I think this would be a great idea if fans want fast moving hockey, play making and less hitting.

27 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I agree except, Good Luck getting Owners to get rid of 2 or 3 rows of the most expensive single seats in the arena.

I know. This would have to be planned for over time but it may be where the NHL is heading.

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Burke has the right idea here but I don't think he's taking it far enough.   You only get one shot in a generation or two to build an arena.

http://www.tsn.ca/burke-on-a-mission-to-increase-size-of-nhl-ice-surfaces-1.425938

I think he's taking it far enough, the international ice is tooo big.

19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Remember that awesome line we had of St Louis-M. Savard-Iggy?

Ohhhhhh right, nmd.

We never had that line from what I remember.  

We kept Stlouis on the 4th line with Sandy McCarthy and then wondered why he failed to put up points.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

If you watch the IIHF Worlds you can. He had a goal & assist as the USA beat Denmark 7-2.

So this falls into the "not gonna happen" category , but fun to discuss. and I'd laugh myself silly if they did ..

What if we were to Offer Sheet Draisaitl.. at say ..7x $9M?

1) best case scenario,  Oilers will be forced to match.. NO WAY they let that happen. now they're stuck with a heavy cap hit , its not unrealistic to think McDavid is going to get a close to Max deal, $14M..   we will have just massively hooped them for years to come, since PC is lousy at managing a cap .. we basically turn the into Tampa of the mid to late 2000's.. one line , cap Hell,  going nowhere

2) worst case scenario.. they dont match..  its not like he's not worth being paid.. he would be deadly on the top line ( we know he can play wing ) or centering his own . At that point , we trade Bennett, to recoup at least one of the 1st rounds picks we'd lose.. but when you're picking mid to late round, you're really not giving up much

the BOA and the sheer hatred would be rekindled with a vengeance either way..:)

They were discussing on 960 this morning about Vegas could very easily do this , and wont be surprised if they do .. but I just got to wondering , what if we did ? LOL

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

So this falls into the "not gonna happen" category , but fun to discuss. and I'd laugh myself silly if they did ..

1) best case scenario,  Oilers will be forced to match.. NO WAY they let that happen. now they're stuck with a heavy cap hit , its not unrealistic to think McDavid is going to get a close to Max deal, $14M..   we will have just massively hooped them for years to come, since PC is lousy at managing a cap .. we basically turn the into Tampa of the mid to late 2000's.. one line , cap Hell,  going nowhere

2) worst case scenario.. they dont match..  its not like he's not worth being paid.. he would be deadly on the top line ( we know he can play wing ) or centering his own . At that point , we trade Bennett, to recoup at least one of the 1st rounds picks we'd lose.. but when you're picking mid to late round, you're really not giving up much

They were discussing on 960 this morning about Vegas could very easily do this , and wont be surprised if they do .. but I just got to wondering , what if we did ? LOL

They would match.  Would have to ensure that every single RFA we had was qualified first.  Not a big deal.

The cost of the OS would be 2x1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd n 2018.  

We would be in cap hell for years to come without the ability to fix the other issues.

He doesn't address our biggest needs, so the only reason it makes sense is to PO the other team.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Draisaitl would be the perfect RW on our top line.  RHS RW with size, vision, patience, and among the best back hand passers in the NHL.  Also plays a complete game.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They would match.  Would have to ensure that every single RFA we had was qualified first.  Not a big deal.

We would be in cap hell for years to come without the ability to fix the other issues.

He doesn't address our biggest needs, so the only reason it makes sense is to PO the other team.

Except Brian Burke hates offer sheets.  I don't think we would do it.

No way McDavid gets $14-mil-per unless he wins a Cup with the oilers. But definitely $10-mil-per is very realistic.

In any event, they will have to trade/dump one of RNH or Eberle to free up long term cap space and it should be easy.  Seeing how Chiarelli would go to immense desperation in trades, I can see him get it done under any circumstance.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If they match (they will IMO) it messes with their cap.They have many upcoming RFAs like McDavid next year  & Talbot the year after. In 2 years Eberle is gone  but they are alreay cap strapped enough to have to trade Eberle &/or RNH with retention.

If they don't we get that RW for long term. We'll have to be careful who we re-sign of our RFAs but none have what Draisaitl has proved already. That leaves about $13 for 2 goalies (say $8ish), 3-4 for a #4 D so means trading Backlund for cap reasons or trading Bennett's rights.

Since I'm not averse to trading Gio or Gaudreau either gets us a top 6 forward or ready for top 4 D that's cheaper, a 1st+.

I'd go for this OS & make moves to accomodate if needed.

Worst case we don't stand status quo. Best case we have Draisaitl & Monahan down the middle with wingers TMA.

BTW, what need doesn't he fill? A 1st line center better than the 1s in place (ours are easily movable be it Gaudreau or even Monahan) looks good.

He doesn't fill the need in goal but moving others opens space (& might even result in that starter).

I'd love to see LV offersheet him at even $5.75. The Oil match, but man, following up with with McDavid in 2018...ouch.

Can't tell me someone's taking Eberle's contract at full value. Lucic 6 x $6...holy facepalm.

They're pretty much win now imho, Chiarelli's going to have to pull some strange magic.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd love to see LV offersheet him at even $5.75. The Oil match, but man, following up with with McDavid in 2018...ouch.

Can't tell me someone's taking Eberle's contract at full value. Lucic 6 x $6...holy facepalm.

They're pretty much win now imho, Chiarelli's going to have to pull some strange magic.

Even Pouliot at 4 for 2 more years after this season (all my Oilers buddies think Vegas will take him lol), Sekera at 5.5 for 4. I suppose they could wait one year to buy Pouliot out but Sekera is virtually unmovable. Then after next season they have Maroon coming off a 2 mill per deal, I've got a feeling the Oilers sign him, which I think is a mistake. I laugh at the thought of their upcoming cap troubles especially because their prospect cupboards are relatively thin aside from Puljujarvi and Bear. Go Flames!

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Except Brian Burke hates offer sheets.  I don't think we would do it.

No way McDavid gets $14-mil-per unless he wins a Cup with the oilers. But definitely $10-mil-per is very realistic.

In any event, they will have to trade/dump one of RNH or Eberle to free up long term cap space and it should be easy.  Seeing how Chiarelli would go to immense desperation in trades, I can see him get it done under any circumstance.

Oh agreed, like i said it's not going to happen, but its an amusing scenario.. I do however believe LV is a serious threat to do it .

Tavares is rumored to be gettng a max year offer of about $10M per.. Ovie makes almost 10 and has never won anything .. McD is supposed to be the anointed one , and its imperative they lock him up soon, if he goes to RFA, there will be Max offer sheets raining down on his agent like confetti.. the general consensus is he's going to get Max, maybe he gives him a hometown discount of 12M, but he's going to be , right or wrong, the highest paid player in the NHL

Tho I must say , I watched the full careers of Mario and Gretzky.. never have I seen a "phenom" be essentially a non factor in the playoffs before over 2 full series ..

14 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If they match (they will IMO) it messes with their cap.They have many upcoming RFAs like McDavid next year  & Talbot the year after. In 2 years Eberle is gone  but they are alreay cap strapped enough to have to trade Eberle &/or RNH with retention.

If they don't we get that RW for long term. We'll have to be careful who we re-sign of our RFAs but none have what Draisaitl has proved already. That leaves about $13 for 2 goalies (say $8ish), 3-4 for a #4 D so means trading Backlund for cap reasons or trading Bennett's rights.

Since I'm not averse to trading Gio or Gaudreau either gets us a top 6 forward or ready for top 4 D that's cheaper, a 1st+.

I'd go for this OS & make moves to accomodate if needed.

Worst case we don't stand status quo. Best case we have Draisaitl & Monahan down the middle with wingers TMA.

BTW, what need doesn't he fill? A 1st line center better than the 1s in place (ours are easily movable be it Gaudreau or even Monahan) looks good.

He doesn't fill the need in goal but moving others opens space (& might even result in that starter).

I'm never sure what position he plays.  As a winger, he would be great for us, but using that much (>$6m for them to even consider not matching) without addressing the goalie situation and a top 4D gives us a great offense, but no improvement otherwise.

Let me throw this out.  Shattenkirk.  Does spending $6m on him make us better, as in one of the deeper team on defense.

Is he even worth that?  Or do we just need a guy like Franson?

Archived