College Free Agents

JTech780

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno, we already have a small D core, or at least not very aggressive. That's what I am more concerned about. I get the NHL is going one way, but other teams still see us as small for a reason, and hack away... 

We are losing two or three players this summer.  Maybe we sign Shatty.  Maybe we go after a guy like Schenn.  The point is that you can't just walk away from talent based on size.   

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in Flames camp last summer. He didn't stand out then but he is a very physical blueliner so he adds to that element which is lacking a bit for the Flames in Stockton. From what I have seen his skating would have to improve to be an Nhler. 

Edit: official

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Interesting to see Keller will now be joining the 'yotes after signing his ELC yesterday.

Led BU in scoring in his freshman year, no surprise he opted for the pro ranks so quickly.

He should be fun to watch.

I wondered if the Flames would have drafted him or maybe Nylander if Tkachuk hadn't been available at that 6 spot. Keller on a line with Gaudreau or Bennett could have been lethal

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Interesting to see Keller will now be joining the 'yotes after signing his ELC yesterday.

Led BU in scoring in his freshman year, no surprise he opted for the pro ranks so quickly.

He should be fun to watch.

Interesting the 'Yotes are burning year 1 of his ELC. I've noticed a few teams are signing their picks to an amateur tryout contract with their farm team & an ELC that kicks in next season.

Examples:

Pengies & Jeff Taylor

Sens & Colin White (ATC signed & he's reporting while details of the ELC are being worked out)

Flames & Healey

2 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Interesting the 'Yotes are burning year 1 of his ELC. I've noticed a few teams are signing their picks to an amateur tryout contract with their farm team & an ELC that kicks in next season.

Examples:

Pengies & Jeff Taylor

Sens & Colin White (ATC signed & he's reporting while details of the ELC are being worked out)

Flames & Healey

Keller is actually young enough that his contract will slide as long as he doesn't play 10 or more games in the NHL, and since there isn't that many games remaining his contract will slide till next year.

32 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Examples:

Pengies & Jeff Taylor

Flames & Healey

I don't think there would be any room to keep him up with the Flames anyway.  

As it stands today, I would prefer to see Andersson debut over Healey.  

2 hours ago, rickross said:

I wondered if the Flames would have drafted him or maybe Nylander if Tkachuk hadn't been available at that 6 spot. Keller on a line with Gaudreau or Bennett could have been lethal

Many were surprised ARI took him at 7, notsomuch me, I saw him a fair bit playing with US hockey in Michigan so I've loved him long time!

The only knock is his size, so it'll be interesting to see if anyone can catch him.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Many were surprised ARI took him at 7, notsomuch me, I saw him a fair bit playing with US hockey in Michigan so I've loved him long time!

The only knock is his size, so it'll be interesting to see if anyone can catch him.

I think the whole discussion about size in the NHL is a moot point now. There have been some great small players that have thrived at the NHL level, Johnny Hockey being one of them. I like Keller's ceiling...the Yotes could be a very fast and skilled team in the next few years..but I guess many ppl said the same thing about the Avs so who knows!?

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I think the whole discussion about size in the NHL is a moot point now. There have been some great small players that have thrived at the NHL level, Johnny Hockey being one of them. I like Keller's ceiling...the Yotes could be a very fast and skilled team in the next few years..but I guess many ppl said the same thing about the Avs so who knows!?

When we acquired Stone I thought maybe ARI didn't like his ask, they aren't great on D.

I have to laugh they took Keller and Chychrun, I think I was unwittingly scouting for them haha.

Prolly my 2 faves last yr, as I had no regular viewings on Matthews or Laine.

I had plenty on OHL guys. Brown, Juolevi, Sergachyev, Tkacuk, Jones,  Poo(sp) etc

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That is actually really good though.

Not really.  That few goals is alarming.  It's not like he's a great playmaker.  He benfited by someone else on his line scoring goals. JH, Hayes and Ken Arnold all had good goal scoring to go with their assist totals.  He does not.  Look at Keller, who has 21g 24a in 31 games in his rookie season.  That is what you would need a smaller player to be like to have any real chance at making the NHL.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not really.  That few goals is alarming.  It's not like he's a great playmaker.  He benfited by someone else on his line scoring goals. JH, Hayes and Ken Arnold all had good goal scoring to go with their assist totals.  He does not.  Look at Keller, who has 21g 24a in 31 games in his rookie season.  That is what you would need a smaller player to be like to have any real chance at making the NHL.

I just don't see college players always high point getters. That's just me. So I think it depends. Not the same, but we had Poirier get a lot of points in junior and it hasn't amounted to anything. 

I am not saying he will make it or be the guy, just that I am not sure you can put stock into stats. He looks like a playmaker by the numbers, so if he can make a pass and skates anything close to Johnny, then who knows?

I saw him play a few times and he wasn't worth an NHL deal. He's got more grit and plays a more feisty game than Johnny does but doesn't jump off the page like Johnny did and lacks that high end speed to make people miss, which is critical at that size. You need to dominate college/junior at that size if you want to be an NHL prospect and Matt doesn't. 

Because of how feisty he was I wouldn't have minded a try out like the Isles are doing but not an NHL deal. going to be tough to transition how he played in college and have success at the pro level. 

Archived