College Free Agents

JTech780

Just thought I would start a college free agent topic as it is getting close to that time of year. Here are a couple of my choices.

1. Mike Vecchione: A 5'10" RHS C/RW. Speed and skill is what his game is all about. He currently sitting 2nd in NCAA scoring. He could probably step into the NHL if given the right opportunity.

2. Zach Aston-Reece: A 6' LHS LW/C. Good skater, willing to go to the dirty areas to score. Can kill penalties. Leading the NCAA in scoring.

3. Daniel Brickley: A 6'3" LHS D. A bit of a project. Not a great skater, but has good offensive skills.

4. Spencer Foo: A 6' RHS RW/C: Plays with Vecchione at Union College. Was invited to Calgary's development camp last summer. Good skater and good skill. Currently sitting 5th in NCAA scoring.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/1/12/14221856/top-ncaa-nhl-free-agent-prospects-for-2016-2017-aston-reese-brickley-pionk-kelleher

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just thought I would start a college free agent topic as it is getting close to that time of year. Here are a couple of my choices.

1. Mike Vecchione: A 5'10" RHS C/RW. Speed and skill is what his game is all about. He currently sitting 2nd in NCAA scoring. He could probably step into the NHL if given the right opportunity.

2. Zach Aston-Reece: A 6' LHS LW/C. Good skater, willing to go to the dirty areas to score. Can kill penalties. Leading the NCAA in scoring.

3. Daniel Brickley: A 6'3" LHS D. A bit of a project. Not a great skater, but has good offensive skills.

4. Spencer Foo: A 6' RHS RW/C: Plays with Vecchione at Union College. Was invited to Calgary's development camp last summer. Good skater and good skill. Currently sitting 5th in NCAA scoring.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/1/12/14221856/top-ncaa-nhl-free-agent-prospects-for-2016-2017-aston-reese-brickley-pionk-kelleher

Definitely an avenue to keep an eye on as this channel has served us well.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Vecchione is the only difference maker out of the bunch. Aston-Reece I think could be a Josh Jooris type, maybe with a bit more offense.

I actually think we could use a few lower line LWs for our system so someone like Aston-Reese could be useful later on.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty weak crop imo. I don't think there are any that will step into the NHL in the near future. 

For depth in the A I'd be interested in Aston-Reece or Foo but that's it. I think this years crop are mostly AHL depth guys. 

I think Vecchione can be a bit more, but I agree that the rest are AHL depth.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Vecchione can be a bit more, but I agree that the rest are AHL depth.

You never know with kids at these ages, they are still developing so to write them into a certain scenario is inaccurate IMO. It's up to them where they go once they get taken on by a professional hockey team. A few seasons in the AHL can go a long way in helping them make the jump to the NHL rather than make them lifers. If by 25 you figure it out as the end of the road for hockey isn't the worst thing that going to happen in your life.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty weak crop imo. I don't think there are any that will step into the NHL in the near future. 

For depth in the A I'd be interested in Aston-Reece or Foo but that's it. I think this years crop are mostly AHL depth guys. 

I think there are opportunities, but they require out of the box strategy.  As you discussed on another thread....these players tend to get signed in their 4th year as sort of a default.   And there's a typical list of 4th year players which meet standard criteria.

But the League..itself, has Never been stronger than it is right now.

Maybe that list of 4th year players doesn't stand out.  Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong.  Maybe it's because it doesn't have enough emphasis on the defencemen and goaltenders that take longer to develop.

Maybe there's Other players who are ready for the NHL, outside of that list.

I just read a Bob McKenzie article in which he agrees it's a weak crop of college UFAs.

I he does seem to be impressed with is Josh Healey out of Ohio State. He calls him a throwback style D open ice hitter (my favorite type of D) that attended both the Flames & Preds development camps in 2016.

Do any of you remember him & if so what are your thoughts.

7 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I just read a Bob McKenzie article in which he agrees it's a weak crop of college UFAs.

I he does seem to be impressed with is Josh Healey out of Ohio State. He calls him a throwback style D open ice hitter (my favorite type of D) that attended both the Flames & Preds development camps in 2016.

Do any of you remember him & if so what are your thoughts.

I think we tend to assume that hockey has grown out of open ice hitting Ds.   But then again, maybe Canada just forgot how to make them?  (kind of like goalies...)

Would love to see a few of these guys back in the game.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

With Calgary losing their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, it will be interesting to see if they are a little more aggressive on the college free agent market to try and recoup some young assets.

Good point, maybe we will see. When is this draft or signing period ?

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Good point, maybe we will see. When is this draft or signing period ?

You can sign a non drafted college player once his season is over. For drafted players who are going to go the UFA route the date is Aug.15 IIRC.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

You can sign a non drafted college player once his season is over. For drafted players who are going to go the UFA route the date is Aug.15 IIRC.

Add to that a player that signs gives up his NCAA eligibility immediately.  He can't turn around and play ever again in college.  

Not a college UFA but LV signed their 1st player today. A late bloomer named Reid Duke that actually sounds like a good pick. Kelly McCrimmon is very familiar with this 1 as he plays for Brandon Wheat Kings.

After reading a # of articles about this guy I never heard of i think LV has a good odds prospect for free.

Add these to the "promising" list:

Tyler Kelleher

BIRTHDAY POSITION STATLINE NHLE
JAN. 2, 1995 C/RW 36-22-38-60 50.57

Josh Healey

JUNE 12, 1994 D 31-4-20-24 22.22

Neal Pionk

JUNE 29, 1995 D 34-7-21-28 27.69

I see that FF already listed Healey.  Kelleher is really small (5'6").  Should fit in well with our future Mighty Mite line.

^^^

I'd noticed Kelleher as well but dismissed him for us due to lack of size. With Gaudreau looking to be a long time fixture I was leery. Now I'd still pursue him for a few reasons. Keep him out of the hands of rivals (unless he signs with Philly), polish him & turn him into a valuable asset (making 1 of him & Gaudreau expendable) or if he develops into star material use both short guys in the top 6 while giving them linemates/defense that are willing to convince others they don't want to take liberties.

Since you posted this I read a few pages on Pionk as I'd never heard of him. Certainly worth giving a tryout type contract (1 year, 2 way) to see how he adjusts to the pros with their heavier game, longer season.

Again I hope our scouts comb through those in junior that went undrafted. After watching the Myers kid play in the WJC after the Flyers pulled him of the refuse heap of undrafted it again reinforced the need to turn over rocks to find gems. I have a feeling that if a player goes undrafted twice he's off scouts radar. Those scouts are our eyes on the juniors, minors & even lower leagues like ECHL.so it would behoove them to eyeball the undrafted with a fresh outlook.I remember Zinger finding a few when he was with the Moose (unfortunately helping the Orca by extention). Like the Wings used the late rounds for their Russian stars the draft doesn't sift out every flake of gold. These overlooked players are fairly cheap. 1st contract AHL only & see if they are worth using 1 of the NHL 50 allowable on for the next season.

13 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

^^^

I'd noticed Kelleher as well but dismissed him for us due to lack of size. With Gaudreau looking to be a long time fixture I was leery. Now I'd still pursue him for a few reasons. Keep him out of the hands of rivals (unless he signs with Philly), polish him & turn him into a valuable asset (making 1 of him & Gaudreau expendable) or if he develops into star material use both short guys in the top 6 while giving them linemates/defense that are willing to convince others they don't want to take liberties.

Since you posted this I read a few pages on Pionk as I'd never heard of him. Certainly worth giving a tryout type contract (1 year, 2 way) to see how he adjusts to the pros with their heavier game, longer season.

Again I hope our scouts comb through those in junior that went undrafted. After watching the Myers kid play in the WJC after the Flyers pulled him of the refuse heap of undrafted it again reinforced the need to turn over rocks to find gems. I have a feeling that if a player goes undrafted twice he's off scouts radar. Those scouts are our eyes on the juniors, minors & even lower leagues like ECHL.so it would behoove them to eyeball the undrafted with a fresh outlook.I remember Zinger finding a few when he was with the Moose (unfortunately helping the Orca by extention). Like the Wings used the late rounds for their Russian stars the draft doesn't sift out every flake of gold. These overlooked players are fairly cheap. 1st contract AHL only & see if they are worth using 1 of the NHL 50 allowable on for the next season.

We usually miss out on some of the better ones like Panarin or Vesey (not sure he's really that good) due to the lure of playing for an Original Six team.  But with the rebound this season, and our lack of depth come the summer, we may actually be a team that attracts some serious attention.  Can't promise them a roster spot like some of the team do exactly, but there is a good chance they could crack the lineup.  My understanding is that Ras and Oliver's contract can slode this summer, so we have about 4 contracts available out of the 50.  Subtract a few vets that are leaving.  

We took a chance on Morrison, but he fizzled a bit in Addy and Stockton.  Starting to rebound this sseason a bit.  He's got a boomer of a shot, but hasn't fit in that well with Huska.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

He is tiny, for a D. 

I guess skilled? Or for ECHL? Or AHL? 

Not looking good on the site.

Tiny?  As in bigger and taller than Russell?  Or the same size as Adam Fox?  

I can't really find any scouting info about him, so I don't know what he's all about.  

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tiny?  As in bigger and taller than Russell?  Or the same size as Adam Fox?  

I can't really find any scouting info about him, so I don't know what he's all about.  

5'11" is not a good size for a D. So what if he is the same size as a small D player... And Russell has a hard time containing the other team's forwards, why he elects to block. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

5'11" is not a good size for a D. So what if he is the same size as a small D player... And Russell has a hard time containing the other team's forwards, why he elects to block. 

TJ Brodie is 6'1" 182 pounds.  Not exactly a bruiser.

I think you are hung up on the height part.  Nice to have a big bruising guy that can skate, pass and score.  Puck movers are usually better skaters.  

I'm not saying I am sold on the guy, but dismissing him because he is 1" less than 6' tall is just wrong.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

TJ Brodie is 6'1" 182 pounds.  Not exactly a bruiser.

I think you are hung up on the height part.  Nice to have a big bruising guy that can skate, pass and score.  Puck movers are usually better skaters.  

I'm not saying I am sold on the guy, but dismissing him because he is 1" less than 6' tall is just wrong.

I dunno, we already have a small D core, or at least not very aggressive. That's what I am more concerned about. I get the NHL is going one way, but other teams still see us as small for a reason, and hack away... 

Archived