Who's to Blame?

conundrumed

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder too whether it's the other teams figuring out they need to defend him more, especially with that contract. It could be that he has to find a way through more dense checking. 

I do want him to succeed. 

He is easier to defend without JG around however I don't think Chiasson represents enough of a threat on that line so it is easier for the opposition to focus on those two. You have likely seen where I have posted we need more of a legit scoring threat with those two to free up space for all 3 to do their thing. Hudler was good with them because the defense couldn't leave him alone either. Million dollar question, who is that RW we need with them ?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

He is easier to defend without JG around however I don't think Chiasson represents enough of a threat on that line so it is easier for the opposition to focus on those two. You have likely seen where I have posted we need more of a legit scoring threat with those two to free up space for all 3 to do their thing. Hudler was good with them because the defense couldn't leave him alone either. Million dollar question, who is that RW we need with them ?

I just watched GG on the Pregame videos on the site and he said that Jankowski is a game time decision, that there are internal things the team is aware of that they're keeping internal, so they will see how the pregame skate goes for whomever he is here for. They've already said that Versteeg was good to go.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just watched GG on the Pregame videos on the site and he said that Jankowski is a game time decision, that there are internal things the team is aware of that they're keeping internal, so they will see how the pregame skate goes for whomever he is here for. They've already said that Versteeg was good to go.

Interesting. If Monahan is ailing why not give him a few games off.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think the system can be blamed any longer. We are now experiencing different effects from injuries and line chemistry issues IMO. The team play has been improving all along however we expect more from certain players like Monahan, which is fair to a degree. The team really needs to get their PP firing in some goals to help their efforts.

I agree that ADJUSTING to the new system should not still be an excuse, but that wasn't my point.  The issue for me is it is a DIFFERENT system, and therefore we should expect that as players play differently, as they are used differently, the results will also be different.  As an example, if the new system doesn't activate the D the same as previously, we should not be surprised that the D is not "contributing" (offensively) the same as previously.  Its the same for all the players.  

Sure, under the old system Monahan's skills resulted in 30 goal seasons, but under the new system the "new normal" maybe should be only 20 goals, even when he's playing great.  

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I agree that ADJUSTING to the new system should not still be an excuse, but that wasn't my point.  The issue for me is it is a DIFFERENT system, and therefore we should expect that as players play differently, as they are used differently, the results will also be different.  As an example, if the new system doesn't activate the D the same as previously, we should not be surprised that the D is not "contributing" (offensively) the same as previously.  Its the same for all the players.  

Sure, under the old system Monahan's skills resulted in 30 goal seasons, but under the new system the "new normal" maybe should be only 20 goals, even when he's playing great.  

Good points but I don't think you place any anticipated limits on what you expect from a player for scoring. One could say with improved puck possession in the offensive zone should produce more opportunities therefore more goals. I believe I heard early that GG would roll with 4 lines and I'm never sure if that ever means equal time or that the expectation is scoring from all lines with whatever time they get. I think some of our problem have been in GG's court trying to figure out who best plays with who with the desired results. We have the Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik line that we can all say all is good there.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree another sniper would do us good. 

Archived