The Rebuild over?

DirtyDeeds

"The rebuild"?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are We finished the" Rebuild?"

• Yes We have our new core, so the rebuild is done.
    • No we need to find upgrades.
    • No we will never be done.
    • Yes just need to find the right peripheral players along with vets.
    • Rebuild was over when we made the playoffs. Just need some tweaking

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Really guys ? getting way ahead of ourselves here. We have a Captain and a very good one in Giordano, let this young core concentrate on becoming good professional players first. The positive is we have a number of players that could emerge to take over as Giordano moves out.

It's just a conversation.

I think some of you are drawing conclusions on Monahan from extraneous stuff.

He didn't get passes, he conducts himself the right way so you have him play through stuff. Let's not forget he's 22, so it's understandable that he'll have some struggles.

But as far as his demeanor on the ice, that's what I want in a captain. If you're expecting Tkachuk to mellow out, it isn't gonna happen.

That's his game, and if he mellows it out, he won't be as effective. He has great hands and good vision, the rest is tenacity and sometimes pure emotion.

I've seen even Toews go off the handle, and when that happened, he drove his team right off of a cliff.

That would be my worry with Tkachuk in a future C role. That's not a knock against Tkachuk, it's more that I want him to be an edgy player, but I don't want the edgy player to be a captain.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree with rob.  Based on Monahan's twitter account and general mannerism, he seems like too much of a joker.  Too nice.  Just one of the boys rather than a man among boys.  Not "captain serious" enough.  To me, he also lacks the "i'm going to carry us on my shoulder" attitude.  He was also suspended for being late to practice last season.

Defacto next captain based on goals scored, sure but it's not an easy choice based on ideals.  More like we don't have a better choice or that a better choice hasn't emerged yet.  Maybe the next captain should be Tkachuk?  But time will tell because he has some maturing to do.  Maybe Curtis Lazar emerges as a key player in the next few years and becomes a vocal guy in the mold of Craig Conroy and could captain?  Maybe Sam Bennett returns strong from a sophomore slump to dominate and becomes the Flames best player?  Maybe Johnny should be captain?  So many things can happen between now and when Giordano retires.  I don't think Monahan as captain is that straight forward.

I'm assuming you are referring to the "Boring Sean Monahan" Twitter handle? that isn't Monahan. Never been confirmed who it is but Monahan has said on several occasions it isn't him. Rumors are it is McGratton.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the "Boring Sean Monahan" Twitter handle? that isn't Monahan. Never been confirmed who it is but Monahan has said on several occasions it isn't him. Rumors are it is McGratton.

The verified Sean Monahan twitter feed is as boring a guy as the handle for the fake one.  One page of tweets per year.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Really guys ? getting way ahead of ourselves here. We have a Captain and a very good one in Giordano, let this young core concentrate on becoming good professional players first. The positive is we have a number of players that could emerge to take over as Giordano moves out.

I agree. We've seen a few youngsters pushed for the captaincy too soon because they were supposed to become "the face of the francise".

2 examples that are top of mind are Vinny Lecavalier the 1st time in TB & Mike Richards in Philly. Lecavalier wasn't ready yet (but was the 2nd go around)  & I feel Richards was a leader but didn't want the part that meant dealing with the media (he looked relieved when Pronger came aboard & handles the media. I loved the way Pronger put some idiots in their place).

Gio is captain now so let the others grow into the role. I still advocate for a player's vote to pick the captain as they know who they follow. Some of the best captains weren't the best player on their team but were the best leaders. I know I don't care who wears the letters as long as the team looks cohesive. A strong leader can smooth over disagreements with the management & handle the media.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Lol yes.  Didn't Luongo also have one?  Stromebone.  but he denies it's him?

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

What?! I only know about about the handle from Sportsnet as they have read a few tweets. I just assumed  it was him.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lol yes.  Didn't Luongo also have one?  Stromebone.  but he denies it's him?

Actually that is Luongo. It doesn't have the Twitter verified checkmark next to him, but I'm fairly certain he has admitted it is his. 

13 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

What?! I only know about about the handle from Sportsnet as they have read a few tweets. I just assumed  it was him.

It's a great handle and very funny but nope not him. he has his own but as TD mentioned above he rarely tweets. 

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎31 at 4:19 PM, robrob74 said:

My biggest examples of too soon are Hall and Landeskog.

This is why I think we have a good position of having Giordano entrenched as Captain. This provides some of the Leadership required and allows these young players to concentrate on growing into themselves and the NHL.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

This is why I think we have a good position of having Giordano entrenched as Captain. This provides some of the Leadership required and allows these young players to concentrate on growing into themselves and the NHL.

We are lucky to have a guy like Gio, exemplary pro on and off the ice. He rubs off on everyone!(maybe he should get that checked out lol) Another player that could have used a year or 2 in the minors is RNH, he's only 23 and one of their better 2 way players but a bit more time and he could have been a dominant player for them. Lol..I could see Flames fans shed a tear the day Janko steps on the ice..what a long time coming for the kid. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, rickross said:

After the epic game 3 collapse to the Ducks tonight...the empathetic answer to this thread is NO!!

umm what? rebuilding teams generally dont make the playoffs, maybe the hawks should be in a rebuild they have lost 3 straight to the predators. The playoffs are so close anything can happen, the flames will be fine and this has nothing to do with rebuilding.

26 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

umm what? rebuilding teams generally dont make the playoffs, maybe the hawks should be in a rebuild they have lost 3 straight to the predators. The playoffs are so close anything can happen, the flames will be fine and this has nothing to do with rebuilding.

Flames still haven't found a true #1 goalie or backup yet. You can't rebuild without a goalie. Every team thats officially done rebuilding fills the most important important position. Flames still have work to do. You'll probably cry about the rebuild vs retool argument but the reality is Flames have gone without a true tender throughout this entire rebuild. 

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

Flames still haven't found a true #1 goalie or backup yet. You can't rebuild without a goalie. Every team thats officially done rebuilding fills the most important important position. Flames still have work to do. You'll probably cry about the rebuild vs retool argument but the reality is Flames have gone without a true tender throughout this entire rebuild. 

Why isn't Elliott a #1 goalie, because the team lost last night ?

2 hours ago, rickross said:

It has nothing to do with retool vs rebuild. A true #1 is hard to find, elliott has done a good job throughout the season as #1, and I wouldnt say we dont have a backup, CJ has done the job really well this season and I wouldnt be surprised to see him back next year as back up. Regardless of your opinion saying the rebuild isent complete because we didnt win our first round match up in the first 3 games is shortsighted.

Not sure in what universe a team that makes the playoffs twice in 3 years and twice in 4 during a rebuild is still rebuilding but to each his own I guess. 

I could see it after the last Ducks series in 2015 because it was so clear the Ducks were better but that isn't the case this time. Of course the flames still needs pieces, but every team in the NHL still needs pieces. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not sure in what universe a team that makes the playoffs twice in 3 years and twice in 4 during a rebuild is still rebuilding but to each his own I guess. 

I could see it after the last Ducks series in 2015 because it was so clear the Ducks were better but that isn't the case this time. Of course the flames still needs pieces, but every team in the NHL still needs pieces. 

Absolutely.

First year in implementing a dramatic change to possession systems.  Flames improved by leaps and bounds over the BH years.

Starting the year in a huge hole and managing to make the playoffs.

Finally replacing a stay-in-bed defenseman with a player that could skate.  Still need to fill that hole if we don't sign Stone.

Development of three good lines.

Were we outclassed by the Ducks?  No way.

Would we have had different results against any of the other West teams?  Most likely.

We need to replace some players whose contracts are ending or they don't offer enough value for results.

The goalie search may continue or like Dougie's first year, we need to provide them with the chance to fit.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Absolutely.

First year in implementing a dramatic change to possession systems.  Flames improved by leaps and bounds over the BH years.

Starting the year in a huge hole and managing to make the playoffs.

Finally replacing a stay-in-bed defenseman with a player that could skate.  Still need to fill that hole if we don't sign Stone.

Development of three good lines.

Were we outclassed by the Ducks?  No way.

This is a very important piece in the whole equation as much as people dont like to admit it, obviously playing better doesnt always win you hockey games. But its important considering when we played the ducks 2 years ago we got dominated in most senses of the word and only just barely snuck out the 1 win. I dont think whether we get sweeped or come back to win a couple games it changes how excited I am for the future of this team considering they are only going to get better. The goalie thing is obviously still an issue, but theres not much BT can do theres not loads of guys on the market who can fill the true #1 role. The hawks might get swept by the preds, that doesnt make the blackhawks a bad hockey club, and I would look at it the same with the flames. The playoffs can go either way and theres no way anyone can say the flames didnt deserve to win 2 of the 3 games. 

The negative nancys will come in and say well deserving to win and actually winning are two totally different things. I agree, but deserving to win usually leads to better results over time, or you end up getting jack adams winner BH, and the flames of two years ago.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

This is a very important piece in the whole equation as much as people dont like to admit it, obviously playing better doesnt always win you hockey games. But its important considering when we played the ducks 2 years ago we got dominated in most senses of the word and only just barely snuck out the 1 win. I dont think whether we get sweeped or come back to win a couple games it changes how excited I am for the future of this team considering they are only going to get better. The goalie thing is obviously still an issue, but theres not much BT can do theres not loads of guys on the market who can fill the true #1 role. The hawks might get swept by the preds, that doesnt make the blackhawks a bad hockey club, and I would look at it the same with the flames. The playoffs can go either way and theres no way anyone can say the flames didnt deserve to win 2 of the 3 games. 

The negative nancys will come in and say well deserving to win and actually winning are two totally different things. I agree, but deserving to win usually leads to better results over time, or you end up getting jack adams winner BH, and the flames of two years ago.

Last night was a huge disappointment however I hope the boys suck it up and keep pushing for some wins.

6 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

It has nothing to do with retool vs rebuild. A true #1 is hard to find, elliott has done a good job throughout the season as #1, and I wouldnt say we dont have a backup, CJ has done the job really well this season and I wouldnt be surprised to see him back next year as back up. Regardless of your opinion saying the rebuild isent complete because we didnt win our first round match up in the first 3 games is shortsighted.

The general philosophy of a rebuild is you start from the net on out. The Flames have core forward and defensive pieces but have been unable to secure a core #1 goalie since Kipper retired. IMO, you're core isn't complete without a goalie. It is the most important position on the ice. Penguins have Fleury/Murray, Kings have Quick, Hawks with Crawford, Habs with Price and so on. It is an integral piece you just can't ignore. Some of you claim a rebuild is officially over once a team qualifies for the playoffs but then you look at a team like the Avs who've qualified for the playoffs in recent years and are still in full rebuild mode, playoffs don't always signal the end of a team rebuild. Consider the fact that the Flames are protecting their core players for the expansion draft but no goalies are included on that list. Also this Flames team is still very much trying to figure out who they are, the majority of teams who've completed a rebuild have a set identity. The Flames aren't anywhere near "blow it up" mode anymore but they still aren't where they would like to be. Deny that as much as you want.

Also I'm not just basing this off 1 playoff series, but its apparent they are a ways from being a true cup contender. You will never get deep in the playoffs let alone win a Cup without a #1 goalie. 

Archived