What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

On 9/26/2019 at 5:54 PM, cccsberg said:

I was born and raised American and have lived in several states..... lets see:  

Food~cheaper Canada(exchange)

Housing-depends on location, ie Vancouver/Toronto high, New York/California way higher.....

Cars-close but cheaper in US

Heating/Cooling-cheaper Canada

Gasoline-close but cheaper US

Health-way cheaper Canada

....that’s my take anyways.  Overall probably cheaper Canada, but not that much difference

I am happy to see that you have identified a few things that affect the cost of living. Focusing only on taxes/cost of living seems a little limited to me. A number of my colleagues have moved to the US, and I don't think any of them mentioned low taxes as a reason to go.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am happy to see that you have identified a few things that affect the cost of living. Focusing only on taxes/cost of living seems a little limited to me. A number of my colleagues have moved to the US, and I don't think any of them mentioned low taxes as a reason to go.

Hmmm, so what is your point?  I‘m not focusing on just these items... it’s been an ongoing discussion of hockey contracts and incentives of one area vs another, starting with taxes.  I’d bet the three primary reasons to move to the US are opportunity, family or lifestyle (warmth)?  

On 9/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, cccsberg said:

I was born and raised American and have lived in several states..... lets see:  

Food~cheaper Canada(exchange)

Housing-depends on location, ie Vancouver/Toronto high, New York/California way higher.....

Cars-close but cheaper in US

Heating/Cooling-cheaper Canada

Gasoline-close but cheaper US

Health-way cheaper Canada

....that’s my take anyways.  Overall probably cheaper Canada, but not that much difference

I live in a border town. Gasoline isn't close. Food isn't cheaper in Canada, by a long shot. Or show me the $0.79/lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, $0.98 4 litre jug of milk, $0.58/dozen eggs, $2/lbs cheddar, $2.50/ lbs shredded cheeses.

These are steep differences. There are a lot of them. The only rule of thumb in the US for a Canadian is read the label.

Simple things like Ketchup, Cereals, BBQ sauce etc. Where we use sugar, their corn industry is so heavily subsidized that every thing is sweetened with corn syrup. So it...tastes like s***. One other thing. Something you don't really see in Canada, they regularly water-chill a lot of meats. Buy air-chilled meats. Pay the extra. Unless you prefer meats swimming in bacteria. lol

But back to the discussion. If I were pulling down $7 per, I'm pretty sure these differences wouldn't bother me. lol

The Canadian market is rabid, so you'll be a rockstar. The US has so many people that it's easy to be non-descript.

There are rumours of Iggy wanting to leave, because he couldn't just do normal husband-father stuff with his young family.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I live in a border town. Gasoline isn't close. Food isn't cheaper in Canada, by a long shot. Or show me the $0.79/lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, $0.98 4 litre jug of milk, $0.58/dozen eggs, $2/lbs cheddar, $2.50/ lbs shredded cheeses.

These are steep differences. There are a lot of them. The only rule of thumb in the US for a Canadian is read the label.

Simple things like Ketchup, Cereals, BBQ sauce etc. Where we use sugar, their corn industry is so heavily subsidized that every thing is sweetened with corn syrup. So it...tastes like s***. One other thing. Something you don't really see in Canada, they regularly water-chill a lot of meats. Buy air-chilled meats. Pay the extra. Unless you prefer meats swimming in bacteria. lol

But back to the discussion. If I were pulling down $7 per, I'm pretty sure these differences wouldn't bother me. lol

The Canadian market is rabid, so you'll be a rockstar. The US has so many people that it's easy to be non-descript.

There are rumours of Iggy wanting to leave, because he couldn't just do normal husband-father stuff with his young family.

Can't disagree with what you are relating, there are some big differences.  Of course, that changes pretty much depending on which state.  The privacy thing is likely very true, especially for hockey guys since hockey is basically the poor cousin of the major pro sports there.

23 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Hmmm, so what is your point?  I‘m not focusing on just these items... it’s been an ongoing discussion of hockey contracts and incentives of one area vs another, starting with taxes.  I’d bet the three primary reasons to move to the US are opportunity, family or lifestyle (warmth)?  

My point is just that I am a little tired of hearing 960 folks argue ad nauseam that Florida is attractive to hockey players because they have no taxes. They just don't have state taxes there. I would assume that they still pay federal taxes. Sure, lower taxes are a great benefit. I just think that the decision to move somewhere is more complicated than taxes.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

My point is just that I am a little tired of hearing 960 folks argue ad nauseam that Florida is attractive to hockey players because they have no taxes. They just don't have state taxes there. I would assume that they still pay federal taxes. Sure, lower taxes are a great benefit. I just think that the decision to move somewhere is more complicated than taxes.

Oh, I agree 100%, in fact I have the same beef.

10 hours ago, kehatch said:

It seems that this argument has found a mind of its own. The point was never that tax rates are the primary motivator for where a player signs. It was simply one of the rationales why Point got 6.75 and Tkachuk got 7. 

That's a possibility, who knows?  As a rationale it may only be so on the surface..... hence the discussion.   

10 hours ago, cccsberg said:

That's a possibility, who knows?  As a rationale it may only be so on the surface..... hence the discussion.   

It's an over think. Tkachuk signed a team friendly deal. Point signed a very team friendly deal, in part due to  the tax situation in Tampa.  I don't think any fan would be okay with Tkachuk missing a portion of the season over the 250k difference between their contracts. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

But you have to admit that it might be a good option for Doughty's epitaph. 

You know what's funny? Call it hearsay because I'm the 3rd party. A few friends told me when Doughty brought the Cup to London, he refused to sign autographs. His parents took him aside and he came back, and autographs suddenly became like candy. lol

Maybe he should talk to his parents about Tkachuk.

Missed this on After Hours but I thikn this is a cool story

21. On After Hours with Scott Oake and Louie DeBrusk, Calgary’s Matthew Tkachuk explained that he bought a bottle of red wine for each of his teammates and the training staff after he signed with the Flames. The inscription read, “Holdout is over, let’s do that hockey!” (He’s going to hear from the NHLPA for using the term “holdout.”) During a family golf trip last summer, Tkachuk shot 78 at Carnoustie and birdied 18 at St. Andrews in front of a crowd.

“Definitely a better feeling than I’ve had playing hockey — so far,” he said. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fast-hockey-big-personalities-define-start-nhl-season/

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Missed this on After Hours but I thikn this is a cool story

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fast-hockey-big-personalities-define-start-nhl-season/

Tkachuk should send Doughty a bottle of wine!! With the inscription: "Thanks for keeping me in the news when my on ice play hasn't" 

Whatever Tkachuk is saying to Doughty. Wow, it works, keep it up. Can't believe Doughty falls for it, but then again, he is that arrogant. Good on Tkachuk, why just roll out the red carpet for Doughty, because he demands it?

Doughty should have just let this one go, but his arrogant pos personality shone through.

I'm sure Tkachuk's all, "oh, I annoy him, I'll stop now". hahaha

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The media just wont let this Chucky vs. Doughty thing die will they? Dont get me wrong, the game needs more hatred and rivalries but this seems to be more of a media circus than anything.

Doughty won't let it die.. He can back right out of that conversation like he should. He throws gasoline at it. Doughty creates the media/drama. Tkachuk doesn't drive any of it, outside of in-game. lol

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Whatever Tkachuk is saying to Doughty. Wow, it works, keep it up. Can't believe Doughty falls for it, but then again, he is that arrogant. Good on Tkachuk, why just roll out the red carpet for Doughty, because he demands it?

Doughty should have just let this one go, but his arrogant pos personality shone through.

I'm sure Tkachuk's all, "oh, I annoy him, I'll stop now". hahaha

Chucky just knows how to get under a person's skin, and I think he has Doughty's number. He also seems to know how to fuel a circus. 

Doughty is a good player, but IMO this whole circus is because of him. Yes Tkachuk elbowed him, he sold it hard though he wasn’t actually injured, then after the game he yapped about it. He does this all the time though, if he gets hit he acts as though he’s injured,  but every time he’s fine 

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Doughty is a good player, but IMO this whole circus is because of him. Yes Tkachuk elbowed him, he sold it hard though he wasn’t actually injured, then after the game he yapped about it. He does this all the time though, if he gets hit he acts as though he’s injured,  but every time he’s fine 

Basically, he thinks he's a mouthpiece for all the players in the league that dislike playing against Chucky.

In fact, what it is is that he doesn;t like being embarrased by a tough kid.

Chucky should respect him, not the other way around.

Archived