Look around...

Car - Aho

Col - MacKinnon

Winnipeg - Schiefele

Calgary - Gaudreau

Edmonton - McDavid

Tor - Matthews

Tor - Marner

Guess what Matt, you aren't these players by a long shot. Stop acting like you are. Next up, you being a disappointment, buttercup.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Point is a comparable. How so? Can we sign and trade straight up?

I'd do that every day.

I’m with you Conundrumed.

I like Tkachuk, I really really do. And I want to see him play for the flames for a long time. But not at any cost, and not a cost on par with any of the aforementioned players.

if Columbus offer sheeted Tkachuk in the price range that would get us 4 first round picks (as I’ve heard Columbus’ wanted to offer sheet Marner including a $14mil season), I take the picks and fill his absence using the newly available cap space. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Point is a comparable. How so? Can we sign and trade straight up?

I'd do that every day.

Contractually. He'll take home more of that so that nullifies a lot of the difference in performance cost. 

I don't think the gap in player is as big as you do evidently. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the player, but a lot of negative stuff seems to be tied directly to his contract negotiations.

We can argue value of the player, especially versus other NHL stars, but you can't really argue the fact that the Flames are a better team with him playing.

Let's hope we can get this guy signed and get back to cheering the team on.

The GM is responsible for the cap spent, so re-signing Tkachuk should not fall back to the player/agent to make all the concessions.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:
This is great news. Flames don't have to move anyone to be cap compliant, they still might just to give themselves breathing room.

It is, and they don't. But I agree they might. In fact I think they probably will. Right now they are about 120k under the cap and that isn't enough.

My guess is we see a depth move with Jankowski as the likely guy. They like Quine a fair bit and he fits in the fourth line. Czarnik is another option, but he doesn't save a lot of cap. 

The one guy that could be a surprise move is Bennett. They have really been showcasing him this preseason and he had a strong playoffs. I don't think they move him as he has the flexibility to play anywhere in the top 9, but st the same time it wouldn't shock me either. 

20 minutes ago, kehatch said:

It's a fair deal. Point's deal was a bargain so it isn't shocking Tkachuk is paid a bit more. 

The Flames are in GREAT cap space for the next three seasons, but then have to start paying big dollars for the same talent. It's time to focus on a cup. 

Tampa flexed their ability to offer no state taxes, Point is still taking home more money after taxes than Tkachuk.

All I will say is a fair and reasonable deal for both sides, wish the term was longer but I guess we have 3 years to nab a cup and worry about cap space at that time...though having JH, Mony and Chucky all due around the same time is gonna be a nightmare! But other teams like TOR, Pits etc... have managed stuff like this in the past and currently so I’m sure we will too...

Chucky brings the sand paper, that’s what we need, hopefully Lucic can too, Physical play is not about the enforcer these days it’s about bringing a heavy in your face attitude (although some sized and skill and speed help that).

anyways, I’m liking the PP lines with the options of putting Chucky and Lucic on either unit and placing someone in the front of the opposing goalie...having each PP unit with that ability keeps the opposing team off balance more as the won’t be able to take a break from playing unit 1 or 2 for clearing the crease 😊

Happy it’s done and get why it is where it is but don’t think you can be overly happy here if you are the flames. You keep a good team together for one year only and in exchange you didn’t get much savings on the AAV, you don’t get term and now you are going to have 2 of your best players UFA the same year. 

Not Treliving fault as a lot of it is the climate he’s operating in but I don’t think this worked out that well for the flames. The only “win” is that you don’t have to trade a key piece and for me that’s a minor one. 

Just now, cross16 said:

Happy it’s done and get why it is where it is but don’t think you can be overly happy here if you are the flames. You keep a good team together for one year only and in exchange you didn’t get much savings on the AAV, you don’t get term and now you are going to have 2 of your best players UFA the same year. 

Not Treliving fault as a lot of it is the climate he’s operating in but I don’t think this worked out that well for the flames. The only “win” is that you don’t have to trade a key piece and for me that’s a minor one. 

I disagree. Keeping the cap hit low for the next three seasons is ideal as it is our best opportunity to go after a cup. 

I don't love having to sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk at the same time or that we gave Tkachuk a fast pass to free agency if he wants it. But realistically I think those are solvable problems. I guess we will know in three years. 

3 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I disagree. Keeping the cap hit low for the next three seasons is ideal as it is our best opportunity to go after a cup. 

I don't love having to sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk at the same time or that we gave Tkachuk a fast pass to free agency if he wants it. But realistically I think those are solvable problems. I guess we will know in three years. 

We will see but I’m less convinced the flames have a cup contender here. I think the better plan was to keep high end players around for longer and give them more opportunities not condense it the next 3 years.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

We will see but I’m less convinced the flames have a cup contender here. I think the better plan was to keep high end players around for longer and give them more opportunities not condense it the next 3 years.

They haven't closed the door on plan B. They were always going to have to sign Gaudreau and Monahan. The only change is they now have to sign Tkachuk as well. That will cost a bit more then signing him long term now, but a lot of cap falls off that season and the new TV money will be in. I don't think it's that big of a deal, and the exchange is a real chance to capitalize on bargain deals for Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Lindholm, etc. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If he wants to be a UFA and play in NY or FLA or CBJ, then it means the team has failed.

Signing him and JG will be challenging, but we will have a better picture of the needs of the team.

By that point we may have a CBA issue.

52 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tampa flexed their ability to offer no state taxes, Point is still taking home more money after taxes than Tkachuk.

This tax thing is overblown.  Alberta’s tax is 10% but Tkachuk pays expenses in C$ but gets paid US$, a benefit of about 35%.  Tax/Currency-wise Tkachuk comes out way ahead.

1 minute ago, cccsberg said:

This tax thing is overblown.  Alberta’s tax is 10% but Tkachuk pays expenses in C$ but gets paid US$, a benefit of about 35%.  Tax/Currency-wise Tkachuk comes out way ahead.

I don't know if the exchange rate on the cost of eggs makes much difference to someone getting paid 7m US a year. Particularly when he doesn't live here for most of the year. 

The tax rate is a big deal. Point takes home more money despite the lower contract. It does impact what a player will sign for. 

Just to be clear I’m not suggesting this is a disaster for the flames or that I think tkachuk walks. All rumors were that tkachuk and the flames both wanted more term they just couldn’t make it work. 

I just think this is not close to an ideal scenario. Doesn’t make it bad or a problem but I think it’s very less than ideal. 

Archived