What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

Does anyone know where we stand in terms of the cap? We are usually a cap team, the cap certainly did not go up as much as Chucky's contract will, so, are we not in trouble here? That is, are we likely to dump a decent player for a pilon to shed salary?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Does anyone know where we stand in terms of the cap? We are usually a cap team, the cap certainly did not go up as much as Chucky's contract will, so, are we not in trouble here? That is, are we likely to dump a decent player for a pilon to shed salary?

As of right now, we are have around $9.6m in space, so that probably covers Tkachuk and Mangiapane. We will need to dump Brodie or Frolik for picks or prospects to fit Rittich in and have a buffer for the season.

36 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Apparently everyone but you. 😎

Enjoy your new found web site.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Well thank you I think. I have been to the site, but I did not realize that they update so quickly. Now, how does JTech come up with $9.6 if they are saying $7.4?

Take the $7.4m that they have listed and subtract Gillies, Kylington and Quine from the roster since they will most likely be in the AHL to start the season and you get $2.2m. So the $7.4m plus the $2.2m from those guys going to the AHL and you get $9.6m.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Take the $7.4m that they have listed and subtract Gillies, Kylington and Quine from the roster since they will most likely be in the AHL to start the season and you get $2.2m. So the $7.4m plus the $2.2m from those guys going to the AHL and you get $9.6m.

So who are your 13, 14 forwards and your the defenseman ? Regardless Treliving still needs to deal with Brodie, Frolik and Stone

8 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

So who are your 13, 14 forwards and your the defenseman ? Regardless Treliving still needs to deal with Brodie, Frolik and Stone

Gaudreau

Monahan

Lindholm

Tkachuk

Lucic

Backlund

Frolik

Bennett

Jankowski

Ryan

Mangiapane

Dube

Czarnik

Giordano

Andersson

Brodie

Hanifin

Valimaki

Hamonic

Stone

Rittich

Talbot

I think if you move Brodie or Frolik for picks or prospects it solves the cap issues.

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

A question?

If we were to give Tkachuk a 1 year deal would there be only 1 year RFA year remaining at the end of the 1 year deal or still the 2 years before UFA?

A 1 year would put him at 4 years and mean he'd have 3 left before UFA.

18 minutes ago, sak22 said:

A 1 year would put him at 4 years and mean he'd have 3 left before UFA.

Yes thank you.

So BT could realistically give Tkachuk a 1 year cheap deal to keep the team intact and pay him next year on a 8 year deal.

Again as I have stated before there are too many teams needed to unload cap to sign rfa's. The teams that can afford the cap can pick and choose and demand all sorts of compensation.

BT could sit Tkachuk for a year if he doesn't agree to what cap we have available after signing Mangiapane.

42 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Yes thank you.

So BT could realistically give Tkachuk a 1 year cheap deal to keep the team intact and pay him next year on a 8 year deal.

Again as I have stated before there are too many teams needed to unload cap to sign rfa's. The teams that can afford the cap can pick and choose and demand all sorts of compensation.

BT could sit Tkachuk for a year if he doesn't agree to what cap we have available after signing Mangiapane.

I don't see much of a benefit.

The player won;t like it because it sets him up for less money if his numbers drop.

He would come out of the one year deal still just a regular RFA.

He gets little protection in case he gets injured the end of the season.

The team has to walk through the re-signing process again.

If Tkachuk's number are even better, he would have a case for an even bigger contract.

Lots of risk.

Trouba and Stone are examples of going short that burned the team.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Yes thank you.

You'd be smarter to just trade Tkachuck for cap space if that was your plan. No chance Tkachuk is going to want to stick around with an organization that negotiates like that. 

My guess is that money isn't an issue in the negotiations, it's term, the young RFA'S are signing for 5 years (Aho, Matthews), I am guessing that's not a number Treliving wants. I could see the team wanting to do 3,7,8 years and Tkachuk wanting 4,5 years. I think they end up compromising at 6 years.

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You'd be smarter to just trade Tkachuck for cap space if that was your plan. No chance Tkachuk is going to want to stick around with an organization that negotiates like that. 

-Buy out Stone

-Send down

Dube

Valmaki

Kylington

We have about 9.4 m

1 m for Mangiapane

8.4 for Tkahuk

with 22 players on roster

I just can't see a cap saving trade this year unless we add significant compensation.

So we keep Valmaki up to make a 23 man roster and max pay Tkachuk 7.5.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

-Buy out Stone

-Send down

Dube

Valmaki

Kylington

We have about 9.4 m

1 m for Mangiapane

8.4 for Tkahuk

with 22 players on roster

I just can't see a cap saving trade this year unless we add significant compensation.

So we keep Valmaki up to make a 23 man roster and max pay Tkachuk 7.5.

nah there will be trades made. They don't need a cap dump style trade, they can make hockey deals as they have players marketable around the league. 

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

nah there will be trades made. They don't need a cap dump style trade, they can make hockey deals as they have players marketable around the league. 

I am encouraged by your optimism.

I just can't see any western team (doing us a favor)

The majority of the eastern teams are in the same boat as us.

Discounting western teams I see our trading partners (to pay tkachuk) as.

NJD

OTT

CLB 

55 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I am encouraged by your optimism.

I just can't see any western team (doing us a favor)

The majority of the eastern teams are in the same boat as us.

Discounting western teams I see our trading partners (to pay tkachuk) as.

NJD

OTT

CLB 

I just view it differently,because I don't view it as other teams doing the Flames a favor. Doing a favor is picking up a bad or sub par contract but the Flames have guys to offer that don't come with bad contracts in Frolik/Brodie plus have some surplus in younger players they can offer in a hockey deal. 

Plan will become more concrete soon as we will see if they buyout Stone, but if they do go that route they really only need to open up about another 2 million IMO in trade so it's not likely they are "dumping" Frolik and/or Brodie. At least not IMO. 

Could teams deploy a strategy where they enter the season with maxed team cap while a big name RFA sits on the sideline until December?  Basically, the team gets their "TDL" deal from within. 

So the Flames can add $4-mil worth of players to start the season, then see who gets injured by December and put them on LTIR, then sign Tkachuk.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could teams deploy a strategy where they enter the season with maxed team cap while a big name RFA sits on the sideline until December?  Basically, the team gets their "TDL" deal from within. 

So the Flames can add $4-mil worth of players to start the season, then see who gets injured by December and put them on LTIR, then sign Tkachuk.

Technically yes, but the tricky part is the first year of the salary and cap hit gets pro rated back to the start so it jumps up. for example William Nylander's cap hit last year was 10 mill because they prorated the money. Now if you've got the cap room this can work to your advantage, but essentially if the Flames wanted to do this with Tkachuk and let's say they wanted to pay him 7-8Mill AAV they'd need more like 12mill in cap room to pull it off. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Technically yes, but the tricky part is the first year of the salary and cap hit gets pro rated back to the start so it jumps up. for example William Nylander's cap hit last year was 10 mill because they prorated the money. Now if you've got the cap room this can work to your advantage, but essentially if the Flames wanted to do this with Tkachuk and let's say they wanted to pay him 7-8Mill AAV they'd need more like 12mill in cap room to pull it off. 

Well, the other assumption is a big name gets a season ending injury so that player goes on LTIR and gives cap relief to allow us to sign Tkachuk.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, the other assumption is a big name gets a season ending injury so that player goes on LTIR and gives cap relief to allow us to sign Tkachuk.

Also true. It's a really tricky plan to execute in the case of Tkachuk. Works only if you have players you know are going on LTIR like the Leafs. 

But it sounds like this strategy is something the Leafs may be exploring and even executing with Marner.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I just view it differently,because I don't view it as other teams doing the Flames a favor. Doing a favor is picking up a bad or sub par contract but the Flames have guys to offer that don't come with bad contracts in Frolik/Brodie plus have some surplus in younger players they can offer in a hockey deal. 

Plan will become more concrete soon as we will see if they buyout Stone, but if they do go that route they really only need to open up about another 2 million IMO in trade so it's not likely they are "dumping" Frolik and/or Brodie. At least not IMO. 

At the bare minimum, trading Janko for picks is required.

Since that usually doesn't happen, more likely to see a 4m player traded for a 2m player.

So, Brodie and Janko for a $4m player makes sense.

Or Frolik for a $2m player.

Since m not up on any players that fit the mold on a team that can afford the extra cap, I won't suggest any trades.

Have already provided a couple, so no sense rehashing them.

Besides, they are as much wishful thinking as reality.

Ideal would be packaging Brodie and Janko for a good younger C and a 3rd pair RD.

Any of those would provide the additional cap needed to sign Matty and Mange.

The reported ask from Marner for a 3 year bridge deal is 10m.

That's insane.

That would set him up for an even bigger payday on a long term deal.

TBH, even 5 years at 10m is way too much for a winger.

He's been good to great and their best player in the plyoffs, but let's face it; he's won nothing for the Leafs.

The only reason I even bring it up is that this talk filters to the other players.

Tkachuk.

Laine.

Connor.

No one is denying thier impact or worth, but the Leafs are screwing up the cap more than the Oilers ever did.

The LTIR issue is due to the Leafs and another couple of teams that use and abuse it.

Compliance buyouts will be needed to save the GM's from themselves at the next CBA.

Archived