What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

10 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I sure the hell lope not. His "antics" were what alot of players focused on instead of the game itself. Plus it's not like his PM's were way up there. Right now he has less than Gio and Bennett. Also less than his brother and about the same as Dylan Larkin and Anders Lee. I'm guessing injury or contract distractions.

I quite enjoy watching him get under everyone's skin too.  However, I wonder if the league / refs complained about Chuckys Satoshi Nakamoto disturbing... they sure don't seem to call as many penalties as the last couple years. I hardly ever see them call a penalty anymore when he gets a rough ride (after his antics), or when he gets tripped, etc. I'm sure they called more in the past...?  Maybe he burnt some bridges a little bit from "embellishing" too much

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

I wondered the same thing. I'm not sure what game it was.... was before Christmas though, I thought he may have hurt his shoulder (i think). Like you said, hasn't been as engaged "rat mode", hasn't fought & the points have slowed down a bit. Definitely doesn't look like himself.

Then again, I remember the brass talked to him & asked him to tone down the antics... am i wrong?

That was after the Detroit fiasco last season. So did happen but it's been a while.

I thought he was the Flames best forward in the final 40 minutes on Monday. My bet is he's great the rest of the way.  

With a good chunk of his points on the first PP unit this year is he really worth £8M+?

However take him off the PP and he has 38 points which is still good for 5th on the team.

Not ragging on him I would rather have him on our team as I would sure hate him if he was on someone elses but the figures banded about for his contract do concern me for the team as a whole.

He is certainly not an elite skater.

Others on the board peg him as a playmaker but I am not convinced that is his role.

Still young but I do not think he is the same level as Matthews or Marner.

Just now, cross16 said:

That was after the Detroit fiasco last season. So did happen but it's been a while.

I thought he was the Flames best forward in the final 40 minutes on Monday. My bet is he's great the rest of the way.  

It wasn't that I was thinking of.  It was definitely this season.... was at least a month ago or more. For the life of me I can't remember exactly what game it was.... getting old sucks

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I tend to agree about last game, but I was pointing to the last month, since around January 19th.

He's looked bad some games.

He's looked frustrated some games.

I wonder if it's frustration always being started in the D-zone.

I see that he's starting on the top line tonight, so the coach is trying some things.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

You mean when he got moved to the top line?

24 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

You mean when he got moved to the top line?

Yup.

It was a good move by Peters and one I thought he should have done a couple games earlier. I think Johnny-Mony-Tkachuk have just been a little "stale" since the break and they just needed a spark to shake things up a little bit. 

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

With a good chunk of his points on the first PP unit this year is he really worth £8M+?

However take him off the PP and he has 38 points which is still good for 5th on the team.

Not ragging on him I would rather have him on our team as I would sure hate him if he was on someone elses but the figures banded about for his contract do concern me for the team as a whole.

He is certainly not an elite skater.

Others on the board peg him as a playmaker but I am not convinced that is his role.

Still young but I do not think he is the same level as Matthews or Marner.

at 5 on 5, he is the 3rd best in terms of primary assists at 0.92 and 4th best at pts/60 barely behind Lindholm (2.31 vs 2.12). Not that true that the PP drives Tkacuk's success. 

For Context, at 5 on 5 over 60 mins

Mitch Marner

Goals 0.82

Totals Assists 2.05

1st Assists 1.78

Total Points 2.78

Tkachuk

Goals 0.83

Total Assists 1.29

1st Assists 0.91

Total Points 2.12

Worth nothing, pretty big difference in terms of skill level of their line mates too. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that Tkachuk is in the Mathews/Marner camp. The argument is how big is the gap between that camp and Tkachuk. If they are worth 11, is it really fair to say Tkachuk is worth 4 million less? I don't think it is. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

at 5 on 5, he is the 3rd best in terms of primary assists at 0.92 and 4th best at pts/60 barely behind Lindholm (2.31 vs 2.12). Not that true that the PP drives Tkacuk's success. 

For Context, at 5 on 5 over 60 mins

Mitch Marner

Goals 0.82

Totals Assists 2.05

1st Assists 1.78

Total Points 2.78

Tkachuk

Goals 0.83

Total Assists 1.29

1st Assists 0.91

Total Points 2.12

Worth nothing, pretty big difference in terms of skill level of their line mates too. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that Tkachuk is in the Mathews/Marner camp. The argument is how big is the gap between that camp and Tkachuk. If they are worth 11, is it really fair to say Tkachuk is worth 4 million less? I don't think it is. 

Everyone keeps looking outside with comparables what about considering Lindholm on our own team newly signed at 4.85M. Lindholm I would dare say is our best all round player. I like having Tkachuk but I hope BT manages to keep things real with him.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Everyone keeps looking outside with comparables what about considering Lindholm on our own team newly signed at 4.85M. Lindholm I would dare say is our best all round player. I like having Tkachuk but I hope BT manages to keep things real with him.

Tkachuk is his rookie year put up more points than LIndholm did in any of his 4 years in Carolina. In his 2nd year he scored more goals than any of Lindholm's 4 years in Carolina and in his 3rd year in the league he's a PPG player which took LIndholm 6 years to get to and being paired with a Hart Trophy candidate in Gaudreau.

I mean by all means look it, but it doesn't really help the case. The fact the Flames got a great deal with Lindholm doesn't lower Tkachuk's market value it would just mean your signing a bride deal. 

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tkachuk is his rookie year put up more points than LIndholm did in any of his 4 years in Carolina. In his 2nd year he scored more goals than any of Lindholm's 4 years in Carolina and in his 3rd year in the league he's a PPG player which took LIndholm 6 years to get to and being paired with a Hart Trophy candidate in Gaudreau.

I mean by all means look it, but it doesn't really help the case. The fact the Flames got a great deal with Lindholm doesn't lower Tkachuk's market value it would just mean your signing a bride deal. 

I don't care but I wouldn't pay him more than 7M going forward.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I wonder what Tkachuk's 1st four years point totals would be like in Carolina since your comparing his out put to Lindholm.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I wonder what Tkachuk's 1st four years point totals would be like in Carolina since your comparing his out put to Lindholm.

impossible to tell, but worth pointing out he mostly played with the likes of Eric/Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Kris Versteeg early on. He played with good players if that was the argument so not sure why Tkachuk would be expected to put up less. 

But I'm not trying to put down Lindholm, I'm praising Tkachuk. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

impossible to tell, but worth pointing out he mostly played with the likes of Eric/Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Kris Versteeg early on. He played with good players if that was the argument so not sure why Tkachuk would be expected to put up less. 

But I'm not trying to put down Lindholm, I'm praising Tkachuk. 

Very true Cross

But I'm not trying to put down Tkachuk, I'm praising Lindholm.

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

Very true Cross

But I'm not trying to put down Tkachuk, I'm praising Lindholm.

Amd the answer is both are very good players. This wasn't a skill set comparison. 

From a contract point of view Tkachuk has significantly more bargaining power than Lindholm had. That was the point if the comparison. 

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk is getting ice time with Johnny and Mony but on the RW.  Looks terrible there.  We will have to give it a few games to see if he can stick.

I don't think they have quite the right mix with it.

Tkachuk is a good player on LW, not as creative on RW.

On the PP, I would also liek him and JH switch sides.

JH is dangerous on the off wing.

Matty can set up below the goal line and feed the wings.

The advantage is that Lindy looks good on the 2nd line.

If Neal is out for any time, I would suggest a RW'er for the 3rd line and go with 3M and regular top line.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think they have quite the right mix with it.

Tkachuk is a good player on LW, not as creative on RW.

On the PP, I would also liek him and JH switch sides.

JH is dangerous on the off wing.

Matty can set up below the goal line and feed the wings.

The advantage is that Lindy looks good on the 2nd line.

If Neal is out for any time, I would suggest a RW'er for the 3rd line and go with 3M and regular top line.

I would try a Brodie RD for Kapanen RW in the offseason. I think Kapanen could be another Lindholm for our 2nd line. Trade Neal and Frolik.

I actually liked Tkachuk up there last night. I thought he did a great job of initiating and holding the puck down below the goal line which allowed that line to maintain some possession. Only resulted in a couple chances but it was a step in the right direction for a line that has really struggled to do that for some time now. 

He was starting to get more engaged physically too but ideally you'd like him doing more but I thought he helped that line personally. 

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I actually liked Tkachuk up there last night. I thought he did a great job of initiating and holding the puck down below the goal line which allowed that line to maintain some possession. Only resulted in a couple chances but it was a step in the right direction for a line that has really struggled to do that for some time now. 

He was starting to get more engaged physically too but ideally you'd like him doing more but I thought he helped that line personally. 

It may be as simple as having him and JH swap sides.

Don't want to stick with it if it doesn't work.

JH should be skilled enough to adapt without impacting him.

Just like to see Tkachuk in a more comfortable position on the top line.

The 2 on 1 with JH resulted in JH electing for the shot, but he was feeling it so no pass.

That looked extremely dangerous.

JH on RW, Tkachuk on LW.

That's kinda what I was alluding to about the fit.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Amd the answer is both are very good players. This wasn't a skill set comparison. 

From a contract point of view Tkachuk has significantly more bargaining power than Lindholm had. That was the point if the comparison. 

Tkachuk's this summer......

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk's this summer......

21-years-old and about to make amazing money. He is lucky that he has a brother in the NHL and a father who has experienced the NHL in a big way. He will need that help. I am not sure if I could handle that sort of thing at 50 let alone 21. I would be the type to head to a local bar after signing, buy everyone a few rounds, and then wonder how I blew my $165K weekly pay cheque in a day. Then, start looking in the couch for bus money to get to practice. 

35 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

21-years-old and about to make amazing money. He is lucky that he has a brother in the NHL and a father who has experienced the NHL in a big way. He will need that help. I am not sure if I could handle that sort of thing at 50 let alone 21. I would be the type to head to a local bar after signing, buy everyone a few rounds, and then wonder how I blew my $165K weekly pay cheque in a day. Then, start looking in the couch for bus money to get to practice. 

Or you could have a father/agent/financial advisor like Jack Johnson.

Yes, JJ probably has to check the coach for bus money.

At least PITTS paid him some money to help him get out of a bad situation.

How sad is that?

Archived