What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

11 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I hear what you are saying. Frankly, I like games where the focus is on skill and competition. Unfortunately, the reality is that we have to play dirty scumbags like LA and Anaheim. I didn't like the lack of focus for the second game in a row, and I didn't like the loss. We need to get back our focus. Having said that, Chucky had to send Doughty and the rest of the league a clear message that he is for real, and not some wimpy version of Keith. I think that the message was delivered as Doughty had to clean his pants after the hit/near miss and buy a box of depends afterwards. Remember, guys like Doughty remember Keith Tkachuk as a legendary menace to the league. They now know that boyo is just as menacing. It was a sacrificial game when we had pretty much already clinched to prove a point, albeit a point I wish we didn't have to make.

I don't like gooning it up like this, but you have to in this passive-aggressive NHL. Remember, enforcers are being eliminated. You either start hacking away like Perry, Doughty, etc., or you send a clear message.

I don't mind teams having issues with each other ongoing as it heightens the emotions for everyone. What I don't like is the slashing of hands and the blatant cross-checks across the upper arms with intent to injure, this has to be stopped. It cheapens the game IMO, next they will stand at center ice and exchange slaps with each other.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't mind teams having issues with each other ongoing as it heightens the emotions for everyone. What I don't like is the slashing of hands and the blatant cross-checks across the upper arms with intent to injure, this has to be stopped. It cheapens the game IMO, next they will stand at center ice and exchange slaps with each other.

Maybe we could see a slapfest with Semen and Kessel,  That would be fun.

If a puck carrier has his hands slashed and no call, while a player has his stick knocked out of hands and gets the call.  How is one a penalty and not the other.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe we could see a slapfest with Semen and Kessel,  That would be fun.

If a puck carrier has his hands slashed and no call, while a player has his stick knocked out of hands and gets the call.  How is one a penalty and not the other.  

I think everyone across the league is asking for some consistency. It doesnt seem like anyone knows what a penalty is anymore, every brooadcast I watch the announcers are confused about penalties just like we are. I dont believe for a second that if the NHL was to start calling the stick work more closely we would have twenty penalties a game, the players would stop hacking at the hands, they can learn. The NHL is so deadset on improving offence in the game but doesnt want to look at the obvious issues of every super star taking hacks to the hands when he is handling the puck. How many times have we seen Johnny going up ice and losing the puck to a well timed slash, its ridiculous if you ask me.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think everyone across the league is asking for some consistency. It doesnt seem like anyone knows what a penalty is anymore, every brooadcast I watch the announcers are confused about penalties just like we are. I dont believe for a second that if the NHL was to start calling the stick work more closely we would have twenty penalties a game, the players would stop hacking at the hands, they can learn. The NHL is so deadset on improving offence in the game but doesnt want to look at the obvious issues of every super star taking hacks to the hands when he is handling the puck. How many times have we seen Johnny going up ice and losing the puck to a well timed slash, its ridiculous if you ask me.

It is ridiculous but the slashing is also getting more vicious and calculated.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

It is ridiculous but the slashing is also getting more vicious and calculated.

Nice add to AlbertaBoy's comment. Unfortunately it's too true.

The league is leaving players no choice but to go after the guy when a teammate has been targeted. IMO it's worth the penalty to engage the noted slashers (including stars like Crosby) if the league won't police it. It's not that difficult to spot a slash that's got an intent of possible injury (especially with the benifit of replays) as the force required is much more that a love tap meant to break a rhythm. Unlike idiots that turn their back when they see a hit coming in an attempt to draw a penalty players can't jerk a hand up to increase the force.

7 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Nice add to AlbertaBoy's comment. Unfortunately it's too true.

The league is leaving players no choice but to go after the guy when a teammate has been targeted. IMO it's worth the penalty to engage the noted slashers (including stars like Crosby) if the league won't police it. It's not that difficult to spot a slash that's got an intent of possible injury (especially with the benifit of replays) as the force required is much more that a love tap meant to break a rhythm. Unlike idiots that turn their back when they see a hit coming in an attempt to draw a penalty players can't jerk a hand up to increase the force.

We all know what happens when the officiating doesn't do their job, the players take it on. This is when the penalties pile up for retribution on the first crime after the fact or injury. Starting making ever slashing worth $50,000.00 and a game then see what happens.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

We all know what happens when the officiating doesn't do their job, the players take it on. This is when the penalties pile up for retribution on the first crime after the fact or injury. Starting making ever slashing worth $50,000.00 and a game then see what happens.

Cannot unfortunately. Part of the reason i think NHL discipline struggles as much as it does is the PA refuses to allow them any type of power to administer fines. I'm pretty sure the max amount, under any circumstance, is 10K, with most having a cap of only around $5000. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Cannot unfortunately. Part of the reason i think NHL discipline struggles as much as it does is the PA refuses to allow them any type of power to administer fines. I'm pretty sure the max amount, under any circumstance, is 10K, with most having a cap of only around $5000. 

Even 10,000.00 is a good slap on the wrist pardon the pun.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think the key part was "and a game" as Crosby is paid over $100 thousand a game. It's not a fine per se but it's still that ammount gone from his bank account to the Players Emergency Fund.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

I thought the Forbort cross check to Tkchuk's head in the last couple of minutes last night was worthy of more than 2 minutes.

It was a blatent attempt to injure but as it is the Flames it will no doubt be overlooked.

Part of the problem of being a sh**disturber is that you often are viewed as "getting what's coming".  

The playoff games will be under more of a microscope, so I doubt this type goes uncalled in the future, though.

3 hours ago, zima said:

MrT deserves every penny only thing that bothers me is they have rained him in to much which I think takes away from his game I hope they let him go in the playoffs that is when he is at his best.

I'm sure he'll be a thorn in the side to whoever our opponent is throughout the playoffs. He does need a little of the reins laid on as he sometimes/often gets the bit & in teeth & runs wild.

He already has players wondering if he's going to lay them out but the sooner he realizes that the possibility of that leaves him free to make a different move so the uncertainty leaves them more @ sea. That will come as he matures as even Chris Pronger took years to learn that a player hiding from a thunderous hit is ripe for a stick check to gain possession.

Count me among those that think Matt earned the 212k bonus.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Tkachuk in my opinion needs to be moved on from playing on the Backlund line. This is one of the true ways we are really going find out what we have.

Most here agree with doing this with Tkachuk. Last season with Backlund and Frolik was a great way for him to break into the league as an 18 year old. I am sure he learned plenty from those two. Now let's try him with Bennett and see if some real chemistry can develop.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived