What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

4 minutes ago, zima said:

At the start of the yr I knew he would be a hand full after watching his antics in the memorial cup, but I never figured he would be such a integral part in such a big way. I had high hopes for him and new he would make the team right out of the gate but his ability to play in the D zone almost every shift and help create so many chances and just make every one so much better. I know most will say it's because who he plays with but I say it's because who the Backs a frolic play with. This kid has raised the level of his line and has put a smile on my face every time he is out there. I call him MrT because he is menise to who ever he lines up against hence I pity the fool who gets in his way and when we make it to the next round of play ppl will see what he is all about I think his game will move to another level as well. Going to be a treat to watch as well as the the mono JH and fer line.

I agree and disagree. 

He is making Backs and Frolik better by keeping them honest. They're not allowed to have a night off when playing with Tkachuk.

where I disagree is, because of Backlund, Bouma is getting overpaid. I think playing with Backs upped Bouma's game. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, robrob74 said:

I agree and disagree. 

He is making Backs and Frolik better by keeping them honest. They're not allowed to have a night off when playing with Tkachuk.

where I disagree is, because of Backlund, Bouma is getting overpaid. I think playing with Backs upped Bouma's game. 

The fact is all 3 compliment each other very well. I think it was real smart on GG's part to put Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree and disagree. 

I don't know about Bouma upping his game.  He rode a sky-high SH% into the off-season, and was fortunate enough to have arbitration rights after a career season.  He did so playing with our best possession center.  With that possession came chances on the rush and opportunities to clean up the garbage.  

Bouma is overpaid because they chose to believe that he was capable of repeating some of that magic and that he was the type of player that made the Flames successful.  Otherwise, they would have gone right to arbitration and walked away.  It would have opened up a buy-out window IIRC.

Bouma's salary is bad for what you get out of him, but I am not down on him because of that.  I am down on him because he takes up a 4th line LW spot and has looked ineffective for a lot of the games he played.

Back to Tkachuk.  I think that anyone that plays with Backlund and Frolik will do well.  On the other hand, Tkachuk is the best possible linemate for those guys.  He brings it.  He draws attention away from them.  He is the beast of the boards.  He has played well enough to have his own line.  As much as I hate to break up a functioning top 6 line, it does also make sense to move him off a shut-down line and onto a scoring line.  Maybe not this season.  Maybe next.

Tkachuk-Bennett-??

Or the old standby:

JH-Monahan-Tkachuk

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know about Bouma upping his game.  He rode a sky-high SH% into the off-season, and was fortunate enough to have arbitration rights after a career season.  He did so playing with our best possession center.  With that possession came chances on the rush and opportunities to clean up the garbage.  

Bouma is overpaid because they chose to believe that he was capable of repeating some of that magic and that he was the type of player that made the Flames successful.  Otherwise, they would have gone right to arbitration and walked away.  It would have opened up a buy-out window IIRC.

Bouma's salary is bad for what you get out of him, but I am not down on him because of that.  I am down on him because he takes up a 4th line LW spot and has looked ineffective for a lot of the games he played.

Back to Tkachuk.  I think that anyone that plays with Backlund and Frolik will do well.  On the other hand, Tkachuk is the best possible linemate for those guys.  He brings it.  He draws attention away from them.  He is the beast of the boards.  He has played well enough to have his own line.  As much as I hate to break up a functioning top 6 line, it does also make sense to move him off a shut-down line and onto a scoring line.  Maybe not this season.  Maybe next.

Tkachuk-Bennett-??

Or the old standby:

JH-Monahan-Tkachuk

I agree completely with your assesment of bouma at this point, ive seen talks of burying him in the minors next year, and I wouldnt be against that at this point.

I know alot of people have been against the idea, but I think chucky and bennett have done well together in limited time, and id like to see that going into next year make a come back, maybe lazar sticks around and plays on their wing, I think that could be deadly. Id like to see how jankowski can do with a bit more time in the show, and I think he would make a good winger next to backlund and frolik. I know alot of people dont like the idea of putting our top center prospect on the wing but I dont think you want him playing 4th line minutes, especially with the top 9 we will have next year.

Gaudreau-mony-ferland

jankowski-backlund-frolik

Tkachuk-bennett-lazar

I dont know if lazar will be ready for that kind of role going into next year so maybe they keep versteeg around to fill that role. Heres hoping brouwer gets picked up by vegas, I happen to like brouwer but I dont want his contract. I dont think we get rid of stajan, so id like to see stajan on a 4th line with pribyl and anyone but bouma on the left side.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ok, so I was forgetting about Ferland.

If you go with Tkachuk on the top line, then Bennett gets Ferland on one side.  If we pick up a top 6 RW, then we could have Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland....That would be a scary lineup of nastiness. :wub:  Bring it on.

I don't think you see a Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland line ever. Either Ferland or Tkachuk works on RW for JG and SM. Going with the devil we know Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland works due to the distraction and physical presence the other two require to have their own space.

Next season I would like to see Bennett given every advantage to succeed as a C with good supporting wingers, those are Tkachuk and Lazar IMO.

Call it a feeling but I think Brouwer will still be with us next season and if so a line of Frolik, Backlund and Brouwer would be the expectation. There is no way they will pay Brouwer 4.5M to lay on the 4th line.

I would love to see BT unload both Stajan and Bouma which opens up a C position for Jankowski. I'm not sure I understand the hesitation by some to have Jankowski break in with limited minutes, learn the speed of the game and log some checking roles. If the expectation for him is to replace Bennett or Monahan at some point maybe another year of development time at Stockton helps but I don't see that happening.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think you see a Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland line ever. Either Ferland or Tkachuk works on RW for JG and SM. Going with the devil we know Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland works due to the distraction and physical presence the other two require to have their own space.

Next season I would like to see Bennett given every advantage to succeed as a C with good supporting wingers, those are Tkachuk and Lazar IMO.

Call it a feeling but I think Brouwer will still be with us next season and if so a line of Frolik, Backlund and Brouwer would be the expectation. There is no way they will pay Brouwer 4.5M to lay on the 4th line.

I would love to see BT unload both Stajan and Bouma which opens up a C position for Jankowski. I'm not sure I understand the hesitation by some to have Jankowski break in with limited minutes, learn the speed of the game and log some checking roles. If the expectation for him is to replace Bennett or Monahan at some point maybe another year of development time at Stockton helps but I don't see that happening.

Had someone asked you the most likely place for Tkachuk to play this season, would you have said "play him on the top shutdown unit"?  If, as I had said, we signed a top 6 RW, then you put him on the top line with Monahan.  That leaves Tkachuk to either play where he is or play on Bennett's line.  

As much as I love Ferland playing where he is, he is not the permanent solution.  At least he doesn't project to be a top 3 RW.  He may blow that out of the water in the playoffs and we will all be happier for it.  I am hoping he can just be the same player he has been in recent weeks (no mumps please).  Ferland is a strange case, since he was a late starter at the game.  He last two years of junior were on fire.  Watching him play in the playoffs, you would never expect him to be a 15 goal scorer, though.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Had someone asked you the most likely place for Tkachuk to play this season, would you have said "play him on the top shutdown unit"?  If, as I had said, we signed a top 6 RW, then you put him on the top line with Monahan.  That leaves Tkachuk to either play where he is or play on Bennett's line.  

As much as I love Ferland playing where he is, he is not the permanent solution.  At least he doesn't project to be a top 3 RW.  He may blow that out of the water in the playoffs and we will all be happier for it.  I am hoping he can just be the same player he has been in recent weeks (no mumps please).  Ferland is a strange case, since he was a late starter at the game.  He last two years of junior were on fire.  Watching him play in the playoffs, you would never expect him to be a 15 goal scorer, though.

Everyone is so caught up with this idea of a top 3 RW, I dont see why. Ferland has been more then good on the mony line in the past with a low shooting percentage and now he looks just fine there with a little bit above average shooting percentage at this point. He has looked great on that line the past few weeks, and if he can mantain that play style im not paying a guy like oshie 6 million dollars a year to take that spot. Theres very few top line right wings in the game and even fewer that we stand a chance of obtaining this offseason without overpaying. Mony and johnny need someone to open up space, they have that guy in ferland. If we can find a guy through the draft that would be ideal, but I dont see BT overpaying a free agent or trading for a guy to fill that spot at this point.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe if I wanted him to learn the importance of defense as well as scoring in the NHL. Also they had the ideal spot and players to do it with in Backlund and Frolik. Even Tkachuk gives his linemates credit for his learning.

Why can't Ferland be the solution at RW with JG and SM ? from what I have witnessed he provides everything those two need to excel at their games. Isn't this what we want ?

Does Maroon belong with McDavid because he isn't a prototypical top line RW ? seems to be working there as well. Results are what counts at this level.

48 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Everyone is so caught up with this idea of a top 3 RW, I dont see why. Ferland has been more then good on the mony line in the past with a low shooting percentage and now he looks just fine there with a little bit above average shooting percentage at this point. He has looked great on that line the past few weeks, and if he can mantain that play style im not paying a guy like oshie 6 million dollars a year to take that spot. Theres very few top line right wings in the game and even fewer that we stand a chance of obtaining this offseason without overpaying. Mony and johnny need someone to open up space, they have that guy in ferland. If we can find a guy through the draft that would be ideal, but I dont see BT overpaying a free agent or trading for a guy to fill that spot at this point.

I agree with you, the hunt for a top RW for JG and SM may be over for now.

I think we witnessed last night " what's best for Tkachuk" maturity would be my answer. He is only going to get better. Last night was a lapse in maturity and a display of immaturity. Rather than focus on winning the game he was selfish enough to make the whole game about him and not winning a playoff spot for the team. The Kings had their way with us because the entire team was focused on sticking up for Tkachuk and forgot their was a game to win. I hope GG points this out to them in a positive way because there are positives to come out of what happened last night, they all just got carried away. This is what the Kings wanted right from the start and they were successful.

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think we witnessed last night " what's best for Tkachuk" maturity would be my answer. He is only going to get better. Last night was a lapse in maturity and a display of immaturity. Rather than focus on winning the game he was selfish enough to make the whole game about him and not winning a playoff spot for the team. The Kings had their way with us because the entire team was focused on sticking up for Tkachuk and forgot their was a game to win. I hope GG points this out to them in a positive way because there are positives to come out of what happened last night, they all just got carried away. This is what the Kings wanted right from the start and they were successful.

I agree, but I think the team played well until we got power plays. The power plays are killing us. If we score in any of those PPs early, it is over. It killed all of our momentum. That's when they continued or got distracted.

Johnnys time and space went away the moment the kings tied it up. Everyone's did. 

We outplayed then until they scored.

and then, that late goal in the second was the back breaker. We were a bit off Track, but the game was still close. 

Personally I think the PP killed us just as much. Do you think it is going to be easier to score on the pp in the playoffs?

i agree he was a bit immature. But he also had theballs to say he is not afraid of anyone. Learn from it now, now just play. He gained a lot of respect from me last night.

What is more important to a team ramping up for the playoffs?

Winning a game against a fringe team or a game where players in Calgary standing up and saying we won't get pushed around or trash talked by some douche?

Tkachuk focused all the hate on himself.  He showed that he isn't intimidated by a vet or the Big Bad Kings.  He took the heat.  It was calculated.

In some ways, this reminds me of the game against Vancouver when Torts went nuts.  Maybe it doesn't scare any teams we will play, but it might just put a shred of doubt in some coaches.   

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Winning a game against a fringe team or a game where players in Calgary standing up and saying we won't get pushed around or trash talked by some douche?

Tkachuk focused all the hate on himself.  He showed that he isn't intimidated by a vet or the Big Bad Kings.  He took the heat.  It was calculated.

In some ways, this reminds me of the game against Vancouver when Torts went nuts.  Maybe it doesn't scare any teams we will play, but it might just put a shred of doubt in some coaches.   

I think it also sends the message for future reference. When he is 20lbs heavier, what is going to happen? He will be a force, and no, he won't take elbowing from anyone. 

Plus, I think they played well as a team up until the PP started failing. After LA scored, the game totally changed.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry to say but the opposite of what you say about intimidation is true.

If you are intimidated then two things will happen. 

1. You run/hide.

2. You hardcore go on the aggressive... Because ultimately, it is an effective strategy to cover for inner fear.  Projecting force to display alpha... Because your alpha is threatened.

If you are NOT intimidated, then you walk into the game like any other game like nothing phases you.  You control your emotions and block out petty threats because you have self confidence in your ability to defend yourself when the time calls for it.  You go into the game and block out distractions.

What we saw last game was a worthog corner by a pack of hyenas with no options but to charge back first.  No, Tkachuk should've ignored it.  Dare them to "Bertuzzi" you.  Don't be scared.  Accept a challenge to fight when they challenge you for "the code" and then go back to playing the game.  He was trying to single handedly fight the whole Kings team because he was intimidated.  He needs to mature and learn this lesson otherwise other teams will learn how easy it is to throw him off his game.  They will find out that he is easily intimidated.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

1. You run/hide.

2. You hardcore go on the aggressive... Because ultimately, it is an effective strategy to cover for inner fear.  Projecting force to display alpha... Because your alpha is threatened.

If you are NOT intimidated, then you walk into the game like any other game like nothing phases you.  You control your emotions and block out petty threats because you have self confidence in your ability to defend yourself when the time calls for it.  You go into the game and block out distractions.

What we saw last game was a worthog corner by a pack of hyenas with no options but to charge back first.  No, Tkachuk should've ignored it.  Dare them to "Bertuzzi" you.  Don't be scared.  Accept a challenge to fight when they challenge you for "the code" and then go back to playing the game.  He was trying to single handedly fight the whole Kings team because he was intimidated.  He needs to mature and learn this lesson otherwise other teams will learn how easy it is to throw him off his game.  They will find out that he is easily intimidated.

I don't think he was intimidated, as much as he wasn't concentrating on the task at hand.

Now concentrate on the task at hand. That now is professionalism . 

I agree mostly with what you say. 

But just be that team if you are that team. LA showed they are that team. Maybe we get there. 

For me, the response on Johnny hack was still not there. 

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think he was intimidated, as much as he wasn't concentrating on the task at hand.

Now concentrate on the task at hand. That now is professionalism . 

I agree mostly with what you say. 

But just be that team if you are that team. LA showed they are that team. Maybe we get there. 

For me, the response on Johnny hack was still not there. 

Tkachuk will learn from this undoubtedly. I was thinking he just shouldn't have been so accommodating  and the distractions took over some of the reason they were there.

We need to put this to bed and nail down our playoff spot.

In regards to not only our PP but offense in general we need more shots and more goal mouth presence. We need to put Ferland, Brouwer and Chiasson to better use. Between Versteeg, Gaudreau and Brodie there has been to much uselessness around the perimeter. Giordano and Hamilton are way better at just firing shots through to the net.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Tkachuk will learn from this undoubtedly. I was thinking he just shouldn't have been so accommodating  and the distractions took over some of the reason they were there.

We need to put this to bed and nail down our playoff spot.

In regards to not only our PP but offense in general we need more shots and more goal mouth presence. We need to put Ferland, Brouwer and Chiasson to better use. Between Versteeg, Gaudreau and Brodie there has been to much uselessness around the perimeter. Giordano and Hamilton are way better at just firing shots through to the net.

Johnny is supposed to be the QB out there.  The unfortunate thing is that his options are limited in the way the unit lines up.  Nobody is ever open for a pass except Brodie.  Brodie has no shot from the point.  You can predict the passes by watching JH, Brodie and Versteeg move to different spots. JH to Brodie.  Brodie moves to the middle and passes to Versteeg.  Versteeg either shoots or passes back to Brodie.  Brodie moves around and passes to JH. JH looks for options then pushes it back to Brodie for the one-time that never comes.  The only time that unit has success is when they move it around down low, or come in on the off-wing and fire it at the net.

Sorry that was out of context, but it's a big beef with me.  I'm no coach, but I see what isn't working.  

Tkachuk miscalculated in the impact on the rest of the team.  It drew them into his combat.  The unfortunate result was that he had a choice of waiting for them to sucker him or take the offensive.  Knowing how dirty player like Doughty can be, it would likely have been a Xcheck to the back of the neck.  Or as slash on the fingers or a Crosby nut shot.

Anyway, the team has moved on.  Too much media involved for my liking.     

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

"Matthew Tkachuk joins Marchand, Crosby among NHL's biggest villains".

Headline in SN site today. Love it!

**********************************************************************************************

Interesting article. Ott learned to swear in multiple languages to add to his on ice chirpping. :lol:

Is it safe to say the apple has fallen far from the tree?  He didn't "weasel" out of the situation with the Kings.  He went at it full force.

I have watched the Tkachuk centre ice hit on Doughty a few times. My guess is that Doughty is still having nightmares of Chucky coming at him and just barely missing the full force of that hit. If Doughty didn't have quick reflexes, he would be eating his meals through a straw right now. I suspect that he will be a little more congenial from now on because I bet he never believed that Chucky could line him up so perfectly in the middle. That was almost a Scott Stevens smack.

20 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I have watched the Tkachuk centre ice hit on Doughty a few times. My guess is that Doughty is still having nightmares of Chucky coming at him and just barely missing the full force of that hit. If Doughty didn't have quick reflexes, he would be eating his meals through a straw right now. I suspect that he will be a little more congenial from now on because I bet he never believed that Chucky could line him up so perfectly in the middle. That was almost a Scott Stevens smack.

As much as I got excited over seeing this amazing Christmas gift for Tkachuk, I fully admit I was disappointed to watch the slow-motion replay and find out that Doughty was able to slide under it.  I agree....Scott Stevens would have been so proud of a hit like that.

Rob Kerr on Sportsnet960 said he was surprised at just how much Tkachuk was in Doughty's head during the game.  I wonder how much looking-over-his-shoulder he'll be doing the next time these two teams get together?  I mean, Johnny Freakin Gaudreau even laid a body check on him fer cryin out loud!

6 hours ago, Kulstad said:

As much as I got excited over seeing this amazing Christmas gift for Tkachuk, I fully admit I was disappointed to watch the slow-motion replay and find out that Doughty was able to slide under it.  I agree....Scott Stevens would have been so proud of a hit like that.

Rob Kerr on Sportsnet960 said he was surprised at just how much Tkachuk was in Doughty's head during the game.  I wonder how much looking-over-his-shoulder he'll be doing the next time these two teams get together?  I mean, Johnny Freakin Gaudreau even laid a body check on him fer cryin out loud!

Should also be considered that it's late in the season and guys are playing through stuff we never hear about.

Even GG when we clinched noted it as, "we have some nicks" when asked if the roster would remain the same for the remainder.

Really just avoid Doughty in game 20 when it doesn't matter as much.

Agitate away games 65-82!

Pooor Ottawa right now, Dmen dropping like flies...have to assume Minny's really beat up.

8 hours ago, Kulstad said:

Gully more or less confirmed that he would sit Tkachuk against the Kings in their final meeting.  There is no reason to play him in that one, seeing as the Kings will be headhunting for him.  Play Freddie and shift a player over or up/down.

On March 31, 2017 at 0:46 AM, The_People1 said:

1. You run/hide.

I hear what you are saying. Frankly, I like games where the focus is on skill and competition. Unfortunately, the reality is that we have to play dirty scumbags like LA and Anaheim. I didn't like the lack of focus for the second game in a row, and I didn't like the loss. We need to get back our focus. Having said that, Chucky had to send Doughty and the rest of the league a clear message that he is for real, and not some wimpy version of Keith. I think that the message was delivered as Doughty had to clean his pants after the hit/near miss and buy a box of depends afterwards. Remember, guys like Doughty remember Keith Tkachuk as a legendary menace to the league. They now know that boyo is just as menacing. It was a sacrificial game when we had pretty much already clinched to prove a point, albeit a point I wish we didn't have to make.

I don't like gooning it up like this, but you have to in this passive-aggressive NHL. Remember, enforcers are being eliminated. You either start hacking away like Perry, Doughty, etc., or you send a clear message.

Archived