What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

56 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The nhl has stated with the gaudreau broken finger earlier in the season they dont want to follow their own rule book, and if they had suspended crosby it would have loooked bad to not have suspended stall for the same incident.

I was watching the pengies play the isles last night, and the NBC broadcasters were confused on alot of plays why things were penalties or why goaltender interference was called on the a disallowed goal at the end of the 1st. Every broadcast I watch across the league, it seems no one knows what the rules are anymore or how things will be called, and in my opinion thats the worst part of the game right now. The NHL wants to increase scoring start calling the slashes, and holds etc that arent getting called.

I know it was a little off topic on the chucky call, but its relevant.

Yup! 

Tkachuk deserved a game. Maybe two? Which he got. 

Crosby is as cheap as they come. They need to start calling slashes and other penalties. Remember when a stick touched the body of a player it was a penalty? 

Any slash at a player should be called. 

Another thing, on that play by Tkachuk, it should be a suspension, but every head shot like it should be one at the same time regardless of who did it and who it was done to. 

It it is exactly like you said, it is tough to figure out what rules are called and how long (if suspended).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yup! 

Tkachuk deserved a game. Maybe two? Which he got. 

Crosby is as cheap as they come. They need to start calling slashes and other penalties. Remember when a stick touched the body of a player it was a penalty? 

Any slash at a player should be called. 

Another thing, on that play by Tkachuk, it should be a suspension, but every head shot like it should be one at the same time regardless of who did it and who it was done to. 

It it is exactly like you said, it is tough to figure out what rules are called and how long (if suspended).

Trouble is there was a period where the refs were instructed to call just about everything. It didn't work well and the fans were up in arms about how the refs were taking over the game.

I agree there should be more calls made, but "part of the problem is consistency" of the calls and part is the fact "not all players are treated the same" when it comes to penalties.

It was not that long ago when you watched a game and noticed an infraction, you knew a penalty would be called. These days, it is not uncommon for the ref to blow the whistle and everyone looks around sincerely dazed and confused. At other times, people are scratching their heads because plays are not called. The refs really need to hold a retreat or something and get on the same page.

46 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

It was not that long ago when you watched a game and noticed an infraction, you knew a penalty would be called. These days, it is not uncommon for the ref to blow the whistle and everyone looks around sincerely dazed and confused. At other times, people are scratching their heads because plays are not called. The refs really need to hold a retreat or something and get on the same page.

My problem is, I think they do go on a retreat before the season starts, and they are told what penalties hold more weight than others. So they're told what they're going to concentrate most on during the year. 

Why not just concentrate on calling the games by the book? 

Part of reffing is you can't win for losing. No matter what you do, it won't be liked.

I've often wondered if the clock plays into reffing. If it's a clean game flying along I wonder if it gets called tighter, and conversely, if it's chippy the refs try to move it along.

Let's face it, if it were computerized and everything were to be called by the book, it would take forever to get through a game.

Kind of a rock and a hard place.

It's the same in every sport, you just know there will be things you have to play through. Can't let it get in your head, see it with the younger kids all the time. While you're busy feeling sorry for yourself the puck goes right by you on a wide open net. It's hard to watch, lol.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Back on subject I'll just say I hope Matt doesn't change his game. He said he wouldnt.

Did you (or anyone else) catch his post game interview. "We still have to do some damage the rest of the season."

i thought the damage line was fitting considering we play LA again pretty quickly (Wednesday?)

2 hours ago, Khrox said:

Did you (or anyone else) catch his post game interview. "We still have to do some damage the rest of the season."

i thought the damage line was fitting considering we play LA again pretty quickly (Wednesday?)

I caught it. He underlined his comment about not changing his game with that quote.

I liked that tossing it out that he's not intimidated by anyone.

He's already made the changes he needed to make in his game. Last month or so he's been much better and taking fewer penalties and not crossing the line so much. When you play the way he plays you are going to cross the line once in a while and you just take it and keep playing the game the same way. I agree with what others has said is that is probably creates so much space an opportunity for him you wouldn't want him to stop anyway. 

the grabbing of Burns' stick and the slew foot at the Leafs game you curb and eliminate that but that's all. 

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He's already made the changes he needed to make in his game. Last month or so he's been much better and taking fewer penalties and not crossing the line so much. When you play the way he plays you are going to cross the line once in a while and you just take it and keep playing the game the same way. I agree with what others has said is that is probably creates so much space an opportunity for him you wouldn't want him to stop anyway. 

the grabbing of Burns' stick and the slew foot at the Leafs game you curb and eliminate that but that's all. 

You just know that Doubty will be chirping him on Wednesday.  The NHL will be watching him, so I think he is aware of that enough to not elbow anyone in the head.  The rest is open game.    

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Stealing Burns stick was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game...   Burns had been pestering him so good for Tkachuk...   Maybe that'll make Burnsey grip his stick a little tighter around Matt...   :lol:

I'm not a fan of slew foots at all, but since you mentioned them, Doughty slew footed Tkachuck not long before he got the elbow...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Stealing Burns stick was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game...   Burns had been pestering him so good for Tkachuk...   Maybe that'll make Burnsey grip his stick a little tighter around Matt...   :lol:

I'm not a fan of slew foots at all, but since you mentioned them, Doughty slew footed Tkachuck not long before he got the elbow...

Yea he did. I thought it was funny listening to darren dreger talking about tkachuk saying hes known as a dirty player around the league, and then saying doughty doesnt pull the same crap. Everyone literally ignored the battle that was going on on that play and just focused on tkachuk and that is ridiculous. But chucky will learn over time to pick his spots and how to do things.

16 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

darren dreger talking about tkachuk saying hes known as a dirty player around the league, and then saying doughty doesnt pull the same crap.

Wasn't the first time that Dreger has spewed asinine nonsense...   Sure it won't be the last time either...

9 minutes ago, Carty said:

Wasn't the first time that Dreger has spewed asinine nonsense...   Sure it won't be the last time either...

Dreger and MacKenzie are illuminati aren't they??

Oh wait, their network doesn't cover pro hockey...they just act really smartly...

I personally love the self-importance. It's fun to watch.

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I used to respect his opinion until he moved to the GTA & got caught up in their mindset

Since they lost NHL rights to all but a few, they have boneheads that shape their opinions.  You know the WPG guy.  They have that idiot from the VAN paper.  They have a few scrubs from the local area.  

Both Dreger and BobbyMac seem to have lost a lot of their sources.  But you are right, they have focus only on TO.  They must only watch highlight reels of the west teams, looking for the latest McDavid video.  TBH, I rarely even watch them any more.  

SN bothers me because they have a bit of a conflict of interest.  They (Rogers) own the name rights to a few teams' barns.  

32 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I used to respect his opinion until he moved to the GTA & got caught up in their mindset

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Both Dreger and BobbyMac seem to have lost a lot of their sources.  But you are right, they have focus only on TO. 

SN bothers me because they have a bit of a conflict of interest.  They (Rogers) own the name rights to a few teams' barns.  

9a8b9a3c6beb9fb9de2d2fc1faaf686a.png

45 minutes ago, zima said:

I don't even watch SN at noon any more you get 30 min of TO then 20 mins of the eastern teams and maybe 5 min on western teams. I have heard enough about TO and Montreal to drown me in same info every day . 

It seems the Canadian media (all based ib the "Center of the Universe") all lead with the most minor stories about TML before giving a bit of coverage to the rest of the hockey world.

I'd add the Sens to those 2.

21 hours ago, Carty said:

Speaking of the slew foot by Doughty, does anyone know of a camera angle that shows it? I know on all of the feeds from the game (ie. SN) you see the d-man play the puck up the ice, and as it comes by centre ice you see Tkachuk laying on the ice, with Doughty skating away. Did any camera catch what happened?

31 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

Speaking of the slew foot by Doughty, does anyone know of a camera angle that shows it? I know on all of the feeds from the game (ie. SN) you see the d-man play the puck up the ice, and as it comes by centre ice you see Tkachuk laying on the ice, with Doughty skating away. Did any camera catch what happened?

Saw it back when it happened, not too sure where you would find it now, but I think that is why Doughty got the elbow...

From: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-tkachuk-fires-back-doughty-expected/

Flames’ Tkachuk fires back at Doughty:

‘I expected more from him’

image: <span style="font-size:13px;">Nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned Matthew Tkachuk a two-game suspension, the Flames rookie took another shot at the Kings blue liner.</span>

Nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned Matthew Tkachuk a two-game suspension, the Flames rookie took another shot at the Kings blue liner.

Matthew Tkachuk is apparently ready to start proving he’s as good at agitating opponents off the ice as he is on it.

Like father, like son.

On Wednesday, nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned the Calgary Flames rookie a two-game suspension, Tkachuk took another shot at the Los Angeles Kings blue liner.

"I expected more from him, honestly, than to go right to the media and start complaining after a loss," a brazen Tkachuk told Postmedia’s Wes Gilbertson on the eve of their rematch in Calgary.

"He’s a good enough player where he doesn’t have to worry about any of that stuff. He’s a skilled guy and everything like that, and he’s won a couple of Cups. He’s still a real good player so I don’t think he’ll be too worried about it tomorrow."

Tkachuk was clearly responding to Doughty’s pointed comments after the Mar. 19 game, won 5-2 by the Flames in which the veteran said, "He’s a pretty dirty player, that kid. To be a rookie and play like that is a little surprising."

Typically, yes, it would be surprising for a teenager to bust onto the NHL scene and start throwing his weight — and now his words — around so liberally.

However, this isn’t your typical NHL rookie.

This is a Tkachuk.

Need anyone be reminded his father, Keith, was one of the most colourful and well-rounded players of his era, racking up almost 2,400 penalty minutes in 1,290 NHL games from 1991 to 2010?

In his first full season with the Winnipeg Jets, Keith had his first of three seasons eclipsing 200 penalty minutes, while also racking up 51 points.

Different era, yes, but the kid’s got similar numbers.

The six-foot-one, 195-pound Matthew has 46 points to go with 98 penalty minutes, which is the ninth-most in the NHL.

Shocking effectiveness for a 19-year-old, who has played a key role on the Flames’ best line this year.

Keith said he has long hammered home the importance of being hard to play against, a mantra the youngster clearly embraces.

Fact is Tkachuk is not a dirty player.

He’s an agitator, who clearly crossed the line with an elbow Doughty had every right to be furious about.

That will likely happen several more times in his career as Tkachuk tries to straddle that line between being a disturber and being, well, Steve Ott or Matt Cooke.

The question is whether Tkachuk’s decision to start stirring the pot through the media is a smart move ahead of the biggest game of the year — a contest in which the Flames can clinch a playoff spot with a regulation win.

It’s certainly an unconventional move as most players today distance themselves from suspensions and potential wars of words by suggesting they simply want to move forward.

This was a calculated salvo, much like the ones his father had no qualms issuing throughout his career as one of the game’s more outspoken players.

Coach Glen Gulutzan pointed out the obvious, that Tkachuk might get some extra attention from the Kings on Wednesday.

But those who’ve been around the poised youngster are aware he relishes such attention as it means he’s done part of his job.

"It has no effect on me what (Doughty) says or anybody on their team says," Tkachuk told Gilbertson when asked if Doughty’s post-game criticism angered him.

"If it was a pretty dirty play … I mean, nobody really did anything about it and nobody on our end really thought it was that bad. But that’s in the past. Tomorrow, it’s just another game and hopefully another game closer to playoffs."

Furthering this dispute on the ice or in the press will only serve to empower this intelligent youngster, whose actions and mouth will very likely make him one of the league’s most hated opponents for many years to come.

Just ask Doughty.

9 hours ago, Carty said:

From: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-tkachuk-fires-back-doughty-expected/

Flames’ Tkachuk fires back at Doughty:

‘I expected more from him’

image: <span style="font-size:13px;">Nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned Matthew Tkachuk a two-game suspension, the Flames rookie took another shot at the Kings blue liner.</span>

Nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned Matthew Tkachuk a two-game suspension, the Flames rookie took another shot at the Kings blue liner.

Matthew Tkachuk is apparently ready to start proving he’s as good at agitating opponents off the ice as he is on it.

Like father, like son.

On Wednesday, nine days after a blatant elbow to the face of Drew Doughty earned the Calgary Flames rookie a two-game suspension, Tkachuk took another shot at the Los Angeles Kings blue liner.

"I expected more from him, honestly, than to go right to the media and start complaining after a loss," a brazen Tkachuk told Postmedia’s Wes Gilbertson on the eve of their rematch in Calgary.

"He’s a good enough player where he doesn’t have to worry about any of that stuff. He’s a skilled guy and everything like that, and he’s won a couple of Cups. He’s still a real good player so I don’t think he’ll be too worried about it tomorrow."

Tkachuk was clearly responding to Doughty’s pointed comments after the Mar. 19 game, won 5-2 by the Flames in which the veteran said, "He’s a pretty dirty player, that kid. To be a rookie and play like that is a little surprising."

Typically, yes, it would be surprising for a teenager to bust onto the NHL scene and start throwing his weight — and now his words — around so liberally.

However, this isn’t your typical NHL rookie.

This is a Tkachuk.

Need anyone be reminded his father, Keith, was one of the most colourful and well-rounded players of his era, racking up almost 2,400 penalty minutes in 1,290 NHL games from 1991 to 2010?

In his first full season with the Winnipeg Jets, Keith had his first of three seasons eclipsing 200 penalty minutes, while also racking up 51 points.

Different era, yes, but the kid’s got similar numbers.

The six-foot-one, 195-pound Matthew has 46 points to go with 98 penalty minutes, which is the ninth-most in the NHL.

Shocking effectiveness for a 19-year-old, who has played a key role on the Flames’ best line this year.

Keith said he has long hammered home the importance of being hard to play against, a mantra the youngster clearly embraces.

Fact is Tkachuk is not a dirty player.

He’s an agitator, who clearly crossed the line with an elbow Doughty had every right to be furious about.

That will likely happen several more times in his career as Tkachuk tries to straddle that line between being a disturber and being, well, Steve Ott or Matt Cooke.

The question is whether Tkachuk’s decision to start stirring the pot through the media is a smart move ahead of the biggest game of the year — a contest in which the Flames can clinch a playoff spot with a regulation win.

It’s certainly an unconventional move as most players today distance themselves from suspensions and potential wars of words by suggesting they simply want to move forward.

This was a calculated salvo, much like the ones his father had no qualms issuing throughout his career as one of the game’s more outspoken players.

Coach Glen Gulutzan pointed out the obvious, that Tkachuk might get some extra attention from the Kings on Wednesday.

But those who’ve been around the poised youngster are aware he relishes such attention as it means he’s done part of his job.

"It has no effect on me what (Doughty) says or anybody on their team says," Tkachuk told Gilbertson when asked if Doughty’s post-game criticism angered him.

"If it was a pretty dirty play … I mean, nobody really did anything about it and nobody on our end really thought it was that bad. But that’s in the past. Tomorrow, it’s just another game and hopefully another game closer to playoffs."

Furthering this dispute on the ice or in the press will only serve to empower this intelligent youngster, whose actions and mouth will very likely make him one of the league’s most hated opponents for many years to come.

Just ask Doughty.

Steve Ott, Matt Cooke ? I wouldn't put any part of Tkachuk's game associated with these two. LOL

Tkachuk is doing no more than trying to buy space and respect out there and I admire him for standing up for himself. I prefer comparing him to Gordie Howe who made a living throwing elbows, fighting as well as producing at a high level of performance. You put 20 lbs on Tkachuk and watch how these early episodes works into a successful career.

At the start of the yr I knew he would be a hand full after watching his antics in the memorial cup, but I never figured he would be such a integral part in such a big way. I had high hopes for him and new he would make the team right out of the gate but his ability to play in the D zone almost every shift and help create so many chances and just make every one so much better. I know most will say it's because who he plays with but I say it's because who the Backs a frolic play with. This kid has raised the level of his line and has put a smile on my face every time he is out there. I call him MrT because he is menise to who ever he lines up against hence I pity the fool who gets in his way and when we make it to the next round of play ppl will see what he is all about I think his game will move to another level as well. Going to be a treat to watch as well as the the mono JH and fer line.

Archived