Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

It wasn't an overpay as 4.5 is a decent price for a guy with his tools. The contract only takes him to 34 so he shouldn't fade much if @ all.

He's being paid like a 2nd/3nd liner hybrid who will play top 2 lines so nothing lost there unless we luck into a 1st liner willing to play for those $s. Until then he & Frolik can contend for who plays with our version of the Golden 1s.

Depending on new coach GG we could see anyone there including "Swiss Army Knife" Stajan.

I like Frolik's defensive/offensive mindset.  He rarely got to show it playing with Backlund and no PP time.  I think we might be surprised what he could do with the Wonder Twins.  He's fast enough.  He doesn't shrink away from hits.  He defends our end pretty well, which is something the 1st line had trouble with, otherwise they would have been +30 players.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Frolik's defensive/offensive mindset.  He rarely got to show it playing with Backlund and no PP time.  I think we might be surprised what he could do with the Wonder Twins.  He's fast enough.  He doesn't shrink away from hits.  He defends our end pretty well, which is something the 1st line had trouble with, otherwise they would have been +30 players.

Frolik is Awsome way better then Brouwer I'm sure his abilities would gel well with JG and SM with a year under his belt now. I respect and do like Brouwer he's a winner just hard to say where he might fit. I guess with Backs on the 3rd?

Tkachuk-Mony-Frolik

Johnny-Bennett-Brouwer

Ferland-Backlund-Chiasson

Shinkaruk-Stajan-Poirier

I like Bennett with Johnny

I hope we see some of those lines. When you put it like that, it looks like a lot a depth on that team. If Gulag's system and motivation fuels the guys, they could get lots done. Calgary doesn't seem to have that ego problem that Edmunks got. They have a healthier hunger and drive. They are a young optimistic group of go getters.

Frolik is Awsome way better then Brouwer I'm sure his abilities would gel well with JG and SM with a year under his belt now. I respect and do like Brouwer he's a winner just hard to say where he might fit. I guess with Backs on the 3rd?

Don't underestimate Brouwer's abilities.  He belongs with one of the kids.  Likely Bennett.  He's actually quite fast.  He's a force out there.  I just like the idea of him with Bennett pounding in rebounds and creating space for him and whoever they slot at LW.  I think Backlund would be fine with Ferland on LW and Chiasson on RW.  Gives Backlund some size to work with.

Brouwer isn't fast. But he played with Stasney last season and he has usually played with top 6 players. He will be fine with either the Monahan line or the Bennett line.

Watching him skate against Dallas and SJS, I never saw him to be slow.  Then again, a power forward doesn't have to be super fast, he just has to drive through the defense.

Not sure Brouwer can keep up with JG and SM. Probably why he's always been a bottom 6 guy. I would of saved Murray Edwards money and waited for training camp to play out and if GG said we still don't have the RW that we need then BT should explore the trade market then. I would of gave up TJ Brodie to get the1st line winger we need.

This is why you are a fan and not managing the Flames. How slow do you think Brouwer is or how fast is Monahan ? Do you see Brouwer lagging way behind sucking wind while trying to play at the NHL level ?

This is why you are a fan and not managing the Flames. How slow do you think Brouwer is or how fast is Monahan ? Do you see Brouwer lagging way behind sucking wind while trying to play at the NHL level ?

This made me LOL. I picture it being like the goon trying to keep up with the french guy from the goon.

Backlund's strength is at C and we need him there, not experimenting on LW. I don't think Bennett has the patience to play with Gaudreau, he likes to create his own action.

I actually agree with this on both counts. I don't like Backlund anywhere but Center and I don't like the idea of Gaudreau- Bennett together but mainly for the reason I don't think their games will mesh as well. Both of those guys want the puck in open ice and then have the ability to create off of that. 

I prefer the balanced attack and the abily to roll 3 lines all of which can score i'm much more in favor of Brower and Bennett so that the Flames will have 3 above average lines they can throw at you. 

I actually agree with this on both counts. I don't like Backlund anywhere but Center and I don't like the idea of Gaudreau- Bennett together but mainly for the reason I don't think their games will mesh as well. Both of those guys want the puck in open ice and then have the ability to create off of that. 

I prefer the balanced attack and the abily to roll 3 lines all of which can score i'm much more in favor of Brower and Bennett so that the Flames will have 3 above average lines they can throw at you. 

Agree

Backlund's strength is at C and we need him there, not experimenting on LW. I don't think Bennett has the patience to play with Gaudreau, he likes to create his own action.

Not commenting about the rest of it, but Johnny Hockey would make Bennett a better all around player.  The two showed pretty good chemistry in pre-season two years ago.  It was almost never used this season.

Sammy has to get used to distributing the puck.  His game has been mostly at full speed, but he has to learn how to slow things down.

Not commenting about the rest of it, but Johnny Hockey would make Bennett a better all around player.  The two showed pretty good chemistry in pre-season two years ago.  It was almost never used this season.

Sammy has to get used to distributing the puck.  His game has been mostly at full speed, but he has to learn how to slow things down.

I agree he could play with Gaudreau but I don't think he needs to or would be the best player over Monahan. I also agree Bennett's mental game has to slow down and it will with experience, maturity and playing with someone like Brouwer.

Bottom line is Brouwer is not a first liner. If BT wants a first liner then he has to give up something good to get it. Brouwer is not worth north of 4 million not even close. There is a reason why Brouwer was a 7th round pick.

Bottom line is Brouwer is not a first liner. If BT wants a first liner then he has to give up something good to get it. Brouwer is not worth north of 4 million not even close. There is a reason why Brouwer was a 7th round pick.

When was Pavelski picked?  Jamie Benn?  Not anywhere near the first round. I'll give you a hint.  7th round and 8th round.

We have a top line that includes two player in the $6m+ range.  Do you really need to spend close to that to get a player capable of playing with the wonder kids?  Was Hudler a top line player?  No.  

You are getting far too hung up on having a 60 point, young winger to round out the top line or 2nd line.  That's why EDM keeps getting it wrong.  You can't put all of one type of player on a single line.  You want to round out the pairs with a player that adds elements that the pair lacks.  

I don't think the salary is something you need to worry about.  It's not going to be the reason we win or lose.  I guess we could have signed a $30m contract for Backes, $36m for Eriksson , or $42m for Lucic or Okposo.  Would kill us down the road.  With Brouwer, he move up and down the lineup with injuries and when players come in that are better.

So was Zetterberg.

Shea Weber was a 2nd rounder as was Duncan Keith.

Johnny Gaudreau was a 4th rounder.

It's not where a player is picked as much as what he does when he plays in the big league.

Any of us could give you a list of failed 1st rounders.

7th round pick how many years ago ? This team can't afford to pay 6M for a top line RW and this is why teams are paying some extra money to players like Brouwer and Frolik to fill these positions. This is a rebuilding team that needed to fill some holes and getting Frolik last off season and Brouwer this offseason were good moves, I fail to see what you have to complain about.

So was Zetterberg.

Shea Weber was a 2nd rounder as was Duncan Keith.

Johnny Gaudreau was a 4th rounder.

It's not where a player is picked as much as what he does when he plays in the big league.

Any of us could give you a list of failed 1st rounders.

Players of that caliber that are picked in those rounds never really happens. Once in a blue moon. Those teams were extremely lucky.

7th round pick how many years ago ? This team can't afford to pay 6M for a top line RW and this is why teams are paying some extra money to players like Brouwer and Frolik to fill these positions. This is a rebuilding team that needed to fill some holes and getting Frolik last off season and Brouwer this offseason were good moves, I fail to see what you have to complain about.

If Frolik couldn't play with JG and SM last year then why would Brouwer be a good fit? Frolik is way better then Brouwer. BT should of stayed pact but Chris Johnson is a good add.

In what way is Frolik "way better" than Brouwer, please explain this to us will you ?

Just more all around ability. Fast skater creates openings for his line mates. Good at dishing the puck. Good two way guy. Physical. Inconsistent problems though. I just don't think Brouwer is the answer is all. I hope he proves me wrong though. Ryan Strome has fallen out of favour with Capalano in Nyi. He's got size hockey IQ and can be a bugger to play against. Would of been a better option but he would of cost a roster player and other assets.

Judging a veteran players skill level based on where he was drafted is beyond ridiculous.

Ok I agree I shouldn't of included that. I'm just not a Brouwer fan unless he was brought in to play 3rd line role. I just don't think he's an upgrade.

Ok I agree I shouldn't of included that. I'm just not a Brouwer fan unless he was brought in to play 3rd line role. I just don't think he's an upgrade.

Your welcome to your opinion. I am not his biggest fan and I don't love the contract. But when you look at our depth on the right side its tough to suggest he isn't an upgrade imo.

Archived