Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't think you pull Brouwer after last game. He was excellent, especially on the PP

Yes he was.  Playing with Stajan and Bouma hasn't exactly been easy sledding, but he has actually been usefull on the PP.  Saying that, I still think you need to get Ferland on the PP.  Maybe in place of Tkachuk?  The 3M line has been effectively shut down this series, so keeping Tkachuk at even strength is probably the best bet. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yes he was.  Playing with Stajan and Bouma hasn't exactly been easy sledding, but he has actually been usefull on the PP.  Saying that, I still think you need to get Ferland on the PP.  Maybe in place of Tkachuk?  The 3M line has been effectively shut down this series, so keeping Tkachuk at even strength is probably the best bet. 

I don't mind a few minor changes like Hamilton and Lazar for Bouma and Stajan. These have been 3 tight playoff hockey games and some are talking like our team has been brutal, not the case. Some unfortunate lapses at the wrong times maybe however ANA tends to win more face offs and takeover puck possession when needed. We have to be better for a full 60 minutes.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

To Buy-Out Troy Brouwer:

2018/2019 = $6M over 4 years.

2019/2020 = $3M over 2 years.

My prediction is 2019/2020, unless something big comes up sooner where the Flames need the Cap Space.

Here's the counter to that.

Buy out TB this summer and you pay $6m actual over 4 years, but save $3m Cap the next 2 years.  Overall you save $3m on his deal. 

6 minutes ago, DHT said:

What was TB original contract?

$4,5 x4 starting in 2016-17.

I still figure if we retain 1/3 for the 2 years (& for the little left this season) he becomes tradable to a team looking for experienced playoff depth. He seemed to play his best in the playoffs prior to coming to Calgary.  @ 3.0 he becomes attractive as the knock on him is he's being over paid.

That means the total cost to the Flames becomes 1.5 x 2 & that little bit this year. We also gain an asset of some kind be it a 3rd, 4th or B level prospect.

A lot cheaper for teams wantng depth than the wingers the talkers mention in both acquisition cost & $s (especially for those that prefer a bit of term).

A buyout is not the only way out.

14 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I still figure if we retain 1/3 for the 2 years (& for the little left this season) he becomes tradable to a team looking for experienced playoff depth. He seemed to play his best in the playoffs prior to coming to Calgary.  @ 3.0 he becomes attractive as the knock on him is he's being over paid.

That means the total cost to the Flames becomes 1.5 x 2 & that little bit this year. We also gain an asset of some kind be it a 3rd, 4th or B level prospect.

A lot cheaper for teams wantng depth than the wingers the talkers mention in both acquisition cost & $s (especially for those that prefer a bit of term).

I would take that deal, but what team would think Brouwer isn’t overpaid at $3MM/year?  I think the Flames have to retain at least half his salary to make him marketable.  He is a 25 pt per season player, on the slow side and is in his declining years.  

27 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He wold be a great add to Washington.  Maybe they would trade another prospect like Forsberg for him at half cost.  JK.

Maybe they would do TB at 2.25m for Connolly/DSP or Beagle/DSP.  These are cap neutral for the most part.  Add a prospect from our side.

Beagle is a faceoff wiz.  Add some size to the 3rd or 4th wing that can win a draw.  DSP is just another RHS for depth.    

Maybe this sounds a little lopsided, but WASH needs to win in the playoffs.  Brouwer could do well there.  

He wold be a great add to Washington.  Maybe they would trade another prospect like Forsberg for him at half cost.  JK.

Maybe they would do TB at 2.25m for Connolly/DSP or Beagle/DSP.  These are cap neutral for the most part.  Add a prospect from our side.

Beagle is a faceoff wiz.  Add some size to the 3rd or 4th wing that can win a draw.  DSP is just another RHS for depth.    

Maybe this sounds a little lopsided, but WASH needs to win in the playoffs.  Brouwer could do well there.  

I was thinking more along the lines of a bubble team like NJ or Carolina as they hold the wild card spots in the east. I'd be perfectly happy taking either 1s 3rd of 4th rounder while opening up 3.0 in cap space for the duration of Brouwer's contract. That's more of a saving then a buyout as well.

If BT thinks about gaining a player like you guys the odds of making that trade go down. Teams acquire depth players to add to what got them there rather than subtract from what they have & spoil chemistry.

I realize the sellers of the big names are asking to much for their rentals like Nash, E Kane & the likes when they are just attempting to get something for a player they have no intention of re-signing but other GMs aren't biting because they know the price will drop by the 26th as the sellers try to get something/anything rather than the 0 they'll get after July 1 when the player hits the market. Brouwer is a different animal as he has 2 years left after this & is plain & simple an attempt to open cap room by trading a player that didn't work out as hoped. If we buy out TB we carry dead space for a # of years with no gain. With retention we get less dead cap & a long shot pick. What option do you prefer?

Washington has roster room but not cap space which is probably why you see them trading 2 roster players but even an ELC contract called up to restore them to 13 forwars would put them over the cap BTW.

If a trade was an option for one of the bubble team, so be it.  I was thinking of a GM that had experience with him in the past and had fond memories.

WASH is pretty bad at managing their cap.

Instead of DSP, we could go for Connolly and Beagle.  

I like Beagle because he still offers his fists for helping players out.

Really, WASH isn't going to work.  I think they have a shiny quarter for cap space.  

I'm guessing Brouwer has a "faith" contract. He built his home in Calgary. etc...etc........etcetera.

He has to get on holding up his end of the bargain, and end the holidays.

What's with the home record?

Bad home lives, wtf? Too much charity work?

I'm not the only one in complete shock with the Flames at home this year, I'm sure.

Tonight vs the Bruins, I was thinking, "it's taken Rittich 1 game to get over the home ice jitters, wtf is wrong with the rest of you"?

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm guessing Brouwer has a "faith" contract. He built his home in Calgary. etc...etc........etcetera.

I'm not the only one in complete shock with the Flames at home this year, I'm sure.

Tonight vs the Bruins, I was thinking, "it's taken Rittich 1 game to get over the home ice jitters, wtf is wrong with the rest of you"?

It feels like the team’s slow starts are creeping back into their game. It’s bad that it’s like that at home. You’re supposed to make it hard on visitors to enter the barn... 

is it the coaches job to get them ready for the game?

thwn when they get their chances they’re trying to be too fancy... 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We now have the same number of home losses as all last season with 12 games to go.

Oh, joy.

Next up, the team that buried us in the last 90 seconds of a game.

At least we don't have to line mis-match against them.

A road game is a cure for what ails ya.

Too bad we return home.

I know BOS is a good team, but why is it we don;t play up to them the way we play down to basement dwellers.  We play up against the best of the rest.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We now have the same number of home losses as all last season with 12 games to go.

Oh, joy.

Next up, the team that buried us in the last 90 seconds of a game.

At least we don't have to line mis-match against them.

A road game is a cure for what ails ya.

Too bad we return home.

I know BOS is a good team, but why is it we don;t play up to them the way we play down to basement dwellers.  We play up against the best of the rest.

Good game as we had ever chance to put it away. I would say the team played "up to them" very well.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Good game as we had ever chance to put it away. I would say the team played "up to them" very well.

The first period was not an example of that.  4 muffins sent towards Rask.  I believe the closest one was from 40 feet.  We showed up for 1/2 a game and OT.  

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It feels like the team’s slow starts are creeping back into their game. It’s bad that it’s like that at home. You’re supposed to make it hard on visitors to enter the barn... 

is it the coaches job to get them ready for the game?

thwn when they get their chances they’re trying to be too fancy... 

I still remember when the Saddledome was known as the Saddledoom since teams were intimidated coming into our barn.

Man I feel old after recalling that. :(

The first period was not an example of that.  4 muffins sent towards Rask.  I believe the closest one was from 40 feet.  We showed up for 1/2 a game and OT.  

Don't you find that with afternoon games. Close game regardless and we had as many or more chances to win than BOS.

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

Its not. 

The flames generate more and give up less chances at home than they do on the road at 5 on 5. 

Sooner or later BT and other GMs are going to realize that Corsi doesn't win games, goals do.  It may put you in a better place and look better on the ice, and make you feel better for the "outplayed them mentality" but at the end of the day its goal differential that counts.  Unless you bear down and bury your chances then who cares?

Same thing with the stupid Bettman points.  Currently the Flames are exactly a 0.500 team and don't really deserve to even be in the playoff race versus their peers with the way they've played.  Of course, once in anything can happen but anyone who's thinking these Flames are a good team are totally BS'ing themselves.  Major changes need to be made, and if it was me I'd be starting with coaching because I do believe they have the pieces to be much better than they are showing.

Archived