Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a good signing. I bet he gets bought out in year 3. Brouwer shouldn't have got more then 2 years or 4 mill per.

I think the whole "great fit" is a bit overrated. Brouwer is a poor possession player and really is only good in around the front of the net. Average forecheck wr so I don't even think the fit is that good.

I think he'll play with Bennett. They wanted a vet to play with him just wish they would have looked st someone other than Brouwer.

I liked Okposo but to long of a term. Hey the deal isn't great but we had to do something. Brouwer will most likely start on 2nd line and move down to 3rd 4th in the later years . He will be 34 when he is up, still going to be solid on a 4th line which is required to be a competitive team. We had to get bigger with some leadership, we just acquired it.

I liked Okposo but to long of a term. Hey the deal isn't great but we had to do something. Brouwer will most likely start on 2nd line and move down to 3rd 4th in the later years . He will be 34 when he is up, still going to be solid on a 4th line which is required to be a competitive team. We had to get bigger with some leadership, we just acquired it.

Wonder if Okposo ends up in MINN

I think we paid market value for something that we needed, so I feel good about it. I'd much rather this than Eriksson or Lucic at $6 million for 6 and 7 years respectively. Ladd got a 7 year deal. I think we did well keeping the term down compared to what a lot of other teams had to do to land their free agents.

I think we paid market value for something that we needed, so I feel good about it. I'd much rather this than Eriksson or Lucic at $6 million for 6 and 7 years respectively. Ladd got a 7 year deal. I think we did well keeping the term down compared to what a lot of other teams had to do to land their free agents.

That sounds logical but I was disappointed to see Lucic go to the fartin oilers. He would have been better for Calgary's size, grit, and mentorship needs, IMHO (not so humble). He can put the puck in the net in the POs too. He has a Boston tie in Edmonton. Dang!

Does Calgary have any money left or is that is for 'supercharging' the front lines?

I would rather these relatively short contracts and at least he fills a definite need, probably 1 year and 1$ million too much but what do you expect with all the suitors, UFA really is the worst to fill spots but a necessary evil sometimes.

Had seen something like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Bennett - Chiasson
Stajan - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bouma - Hathaway

Which may not be too crazy, see how it goes first 10. This is all dependant on how Chiasson rebounds and how Tkachuk performs during dev camp and his potential 10 game cup of coffee.  at the end of the day this gives us more options to try out and hopefully something sticks compared to last year with the revolving door.

That sounds logical but I was disappointed to see Lucic go to the fartin oilers. He would have been better for Calgary's size, grit, and mentorship needs, IMHO (not so humble). He can put the puck in the net in the POs too. He has a Boston tie in Edmonton. Dang!

Does Calgary have any money left or is that is for 'supercharging' the front lines?

I don't think Calgary has any money left but I may be wrong

We have about a million if we defer bonuses. Thst opens up a bit if they put Bollig in the minors and / or put Smid on the LTIR. But they will need to clear cap to do much more.

I have a feeling this is exactly what will happen since it makes sense, Bollig in the minors and then Smid on LTIR, I need some educating but doesn't Smid have to be counted against the cap before the season starts and then he can go LTIR? Also since Bollig is on a 1-way does he have to start up on the Flames before he can be sent down?

The only other thing I hope to see happen is Wideman traded, only problem is his NMC and someone wanting to trade for him he probably needs to play a bit to get teams interested again.

Too doouchey a player for my liking.  His character is the thing I question.  They can have him for 7 years.  

Ive calculated with 14M to J/S, 1M to a dman (Nak, or Wotherspoon on the roster). we have about 5.6 left to spend right now  with Smid on the IR

That would be enough to get a one or two year showstopper... if that were possible?

I'm disappointed they didn't get somebody better than Brouwer.

Too doouchey a player for my liking.  His character is the thing I question.  They can have him for 7 years.  

He is a hard nosed get the job done player. Every player who has that kind of gumption eventually finds himself in some kind of trouble. Calgary needs a get the job done player. He's a power house including in the playoffs. I doubt if he'll be in Egmunkton for that long. Who else is available now? Even if it might be too late now...

That would be enough to get a one or two year showstopper... if that were possible?

Have you seen the contracts going to the better players? No way am I giving a 7 year deal to a Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, or Erikson.

Maybe no one better was available, or cost way too much which wouldn't surprise me, like I said probably 1/1 too much but I think it's decent value considering our needs, if this makes us better in the next 4 years it should make us more desirable to come to as well. Lots of different possibilites, it's not an albatross like the Looch. 7 years....  :wacko:

^ Just beat me Kehatch :lol:

Have you seen the contracts going to the better players? No way am I giving a 7 year deal to a Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, or Erikson.

No, I haven't seen them. I'm just hoping for a get the job done team. I know there is lots to watch in the money department but I (and Flames fans in general) want to see a Strong Team... so you have to throw a certain amount of dough at the wall.

I wasn't interested in Ladd, Okposo, or Erikson, like I was in Lucic.

Maybe no one better was available, or cost way too much which wouldn't surprise me, like I said probably 1/1 too much but I think it's decent value considering our needs, if this makes us better in the next 4 years it should make us more desirable to come to as well. Lots of different possibilites, it's not an albatross like the Looch. 7 years....  :wacko:

^ Just beat me Kehatch :lol:

That's good logic. Thanks for that. I'm still wanting something grander Now.

He is a hard nosed get the job done player. Every player who has that kind of gumption eventually finds himself in some kind of trouble. Calgary needs a get the job done player. He's a power house including in the playoffs. I doubt if he'll be in Egmunkton for that long. Who else is available now? Even if it might be too late now...

Brouwer is a respectable player, while Lucic is not.  Both are hard-nosed players.  Ferland will stick up for any players on his line.

Lucic was not much of a factor in the playoffs last year.  Funny how Lucic gets off after punching a ref.

Archived