Some comments from people who were watching at the Development Camp:

"Smith looked better than he ever has at one of these. Looked determined out there."

"Hunter Smith is rocking a Joe Thornton/Brent Burns epic beard. He is a lot quicker in his first three steps. Was actually one of the quicker forwards from the first group. Engages physically and was more tenacious. Still 2 years away, but his speed isn't as much of a drawback as it was. Looked good. Dan thought he was the most complete of any of the players today. I think Janko was better overall, but Smith was up there also."

"The fact that Hunter Smith looks faster is intriguing."

"Hunter Smith still needs to work on his footspeed, but his shot is really good."

"Hunter Smith had a tough morning. The play seemed to die on his stick every time he received a pass, and his skating really suffered."

"Hunter - better skater and mobility than in years past. If he was 5'10" he wouldn't be here!"

"Smith: took a hard shot blocker side of Rittich, who denied him."

"Hunter Smith skated off injured after a collision with Kenney Morrison. He was pressing a towel to his face after he skated off the ice."

"Hunter Smith - his skating has improved by leaps and bounds and he seems to have a good understanding of the basic things that he is supposed to do out there. He took quite a few hits as I am sure there are a lot of players who want to show the coaches that they are fearless out there. He hurt himself with a boarding play that ended up in the other team getting a penalty shot. In the end though, I'm not a fan of his game and as a player who has a season of professional hockey under his belt I think his performance was weaker than a few of the guys out of junior and even some of the invites."

"I feel Smith has better skill then most give him credit for. He is a developing player without a doubt However, He gets himself open to be in a position to make a play, Did a good job protecting the puck along the boards. He needs work once the puck is on his stick but don't write this guy out just yet."

Did anyone have a good look at Hunter Smith? I didn't hear or read much about him from this camp. Was wondering if the kid is on the path to the NHL sooner, or never.

He remains a bit of a project for me. His skating has gotten better and it's no longer a liability but outside that he had a tough scrimmage. Was very physical down low but he also didn't protect the puck well and a couple of times he's get the puck only to have a much smaller player steal it from it with quick hands. Phillips made a nice play on him and stole the puck and took it the other way and Smith couldn't real do anything about it. Offensively he did little with the puck if he got it

So not a great game but I view smith as a project so I don't want to make it seem like he is done. His skating is getting better and his ability to play physical down low and retrieve pucks is there. Didn't get a change to show it in the scrimmage but I know then hands are there. The tools are still intriguing but there's a lot of work to be done.

My apologies if i Missed it in a post earlier, but really curious how David Rittich looked?. anybody who went watch him closely ?

I heard he was a bit shaky in the scrimmage but prior to that was showing well? so far to date all Ive really heard for feedback is he has a really awesome glove hand

I don't know how we can evaluate these guys from a few day I am more interest in seeing how they perform this aug in Kelowna when they have more than just a few minutes to shine can't wait. But do appreciate the heads up nice to know which way they might be heading.

My apologies if i Missed it in a post earlier, but really curious how David Rittich looked?. anybody who went watch him closely ?

I heard he was a bit shaky in the scrimmage but prior to that was showing well? so far to date all Ive really heard for feedback is he has a really awesome glove hand

You can see why the would like him as he moves quite well for his bigger frame. He was shaky but for me it was correctable stuff and a technique issue. I found he was just getting a bit lazy and leaving gaps open. Like when he slid post to post he didn't put his stick in the right place and let a five hole goal in, or let a goal in just above or below the blocker/catcher. So he was often in the right spot he just missed it by an inch here nor there. So yes a tough day but not one they makes me question his ability, there are some good things to like there.

You can see why the would like him as he moves quite well for his bigger frame. He was shaky but for me it was correctable stuff and a technique issue. I found he was just getting a bit lazy and leaving gaps open. Like when he slid post to post he didn't put his stick in the right place and let a five hole goal in, or let a goal in just above or below the blocker/catcher. So he was often in the right spot he just missed it by an inch here nor there. So yes a tough day but not one they makes me question his ability, there are some good things to like there.

That was a terrible play on his part. I am not quite sure what he was doing, but it looked as though he was moving in slow motion.  Something weird was happening on that one.

Really liking Parsons.   Had a lot of trouble with Tuulola....But I think that had more to do with Tuulola and less to do with Parsons looking at the shots.   Has that typical issue with shots over the shoulder while down on butterfly.  But for 18, impressed.

Just found this on youtube, didnt know it was a thing, someone recorded the whole scrimmage for anyone that wants a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRQJE5c3imQ     Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLX8jRdPmk    Part 2.

Thanks for posting. I had to throw up halfway through cause the camera was shakey but it was a good watch nonetheless.

I noticed Ollas-Mattson several times because he was doing spin moves to shake off forecheckers but did them in front of his own goalie. He got burnt a couple times. I applaud him for trying to get noticed and showing off his confidence but he needs to learn to pick his spots better and make the safe plays.

Other than that, it was hard to know who was who on the ice. The names on sweaters were hard to pick out between the protective mesh and the camera shake. There were some nice plays out there and the overall pace was fast.

Thanks for posting. I had to throw up halfway through cause the camera was shakey but it was a good watch nonetheless.

I noticed Ollas-Mattson several times because he was doing spin moves to shake off forecheckers but did them in front of his own goalie. He got burnt a couple times. I applaud him for trying to get noticed and showing off his confidence but he needs to learn to pick his spots better and make the safe plays.

Other than that, it was hard to know who was who on the ice. The names on sweaters were hard to pick out between the protective mesh and the camera shake. There were some nice plays out there and the overall pace was fast.

It is hard to evaluate players in the scrimmage because they are all out to prove themselves and impress in a relatively short period of time. Some of the players who were invited were actually quite impressive (although I am not sure if this is because I had low expectations of them), but you cannot tell if they are the real deal, or just rising to this one last occasion.

Some comments from people who were watching at the Development Camp:

"Smith looked better than he ever has at one of these. Looked determined out there."

"Hunter Smith is rocking a Joe Thornton/Brent Burns epic beard. He is a lot quicker in his first three steps. Was actually one of the quicker forwards from the first group. Engages physically and was more tenacious. Still 2 years away, but his speed isn't as much of a drawback as it was. Looked good. Dan thought he was the most complete of any of the players today. I think Janko was better overall, but Smith was up there also."

"The fact that Hunter Smith looks faster is intriguing."

"Hunter Smith still needs to work on his footspeed, but his shot is really good."

"Hunter Smith had a tough morning. The play seemed to die on his stick every time he received a pass, and his skating really suffered."

"Hunter - better skater and mobility than in years past. If he was 5'10" he wouldn't be here!"

"Smith: took a hard shot blocker side of Rittich, who denied him."

"Hunter Smith skated off injured after a collision with Kenney Morrison. He was pressing a towel to his face after he skated off the ice."

"Hunter Smith - his skating has improved by leaps and bounds and he seems to have a good understanding of the basic things that he is supposed to do out there. He took quite a few hits as I am sure there are a lot of players who want to show the coaches that they are fearless out there. He hurt himself with a boarding play that ended up in the other team getting a penalty shot. In the end though, I'm not a fan of his game and as a player who has a season of professional hockey under his belt I think his performance was weaker than a few of the guys out of junior and even some of the invites."

"I feel Smith has better skill then most give him credit for. He is a developing player without a doubt However, He gets himself open to be in a position to make a play, Did a good job protecting the puck along the boards. He needs work once the puck is on his stick but don't write this guy out just yet."

I love the comment,"if he was 5'10" he wouldn't be here" of really ? LOL

I may be one of the few, but I am hopng a few of the camp invites get brought back for the Penticton tourney,  And then signed.

Guys like Burke are interesting.  They also seemed very interested in Sevignyl he knew he was going to camp as soon as the draft was concluded and he wasn't selected.  He doesn't even have good numbers.  Rempal is intriguing, out of the BCHL.

I may be one of the few, but I am hopng a few of the camp invites get brought back for the Penticton tourney,  And then signed.

Guys like Burke are interesting.  They also seemed very interested in Sevignyl he knew he was going to camp as soon as the draft was concluded and he wasn't selected.  He doesn't even have good numbers.  Rempal is intriguing, out of the BCHL.

I'd like to see Burke back. We also have a few C holes in the A. Kravchenko and Bowles are C's. Maybe one of them makes it for the 4th line AHL?

Does any one have any Idea what will happen with Adam Mattsson has he gone back to Sweden or is he hanging around for the summer? Also not much has been mention on Pollack did he not impress on the development games?

Ollas-Mattsson is signed for this year overseas.  His season starts earlier than the NHL, so he won't be at main camp.

Not sure at all about Mattsson.

From what I heard about Brett Pollock's showing in Development Camp, I'll guess that he will begin his first year as a pro playing as C or LW on one of the 2 bottom lines in Stockton.

Of course, he could possibly amp up his game during the main preseason Training Camp, and end up playing in the Top 6 for the Heat.

I will be eagerly watching as Andersson, Gillies, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Prybil, & Rittich play in their first full pro seasons.

Pollock was ok and fine he just didn't do anything to stand out, positively or negatively. Nothing about his game concerned me but at the same time you never looked at him and said wow or nice.

I will say I think that's just the prospect he is. He won't wow you but he won't hurt you either, he's solid.

Development camp is also not the place to rate the players, especially these ones... Just like Brad Treliving said, it's July, most have been off skates for a few months and some just getting over injuries and so on...

I am not saying pollock is better than he showed, but this development camp doesn't really say anything about them. Sure there is some merit in it, but main camp and prospect tourny is going to tell us more.

Development camp is also not the place to rate the players, especially these ones... Just like Brad Treliving said, it's July, most have been off skates for a few months and some just getting over injuries and so on...

I am not saying pollock is better than he showed, but this development camp doesn't really say anything about them. Sure there is some merit in it, but main camp and prospect tourny is going to tell us more.

I would agree with this 100% and I don't mean to give a definitive report about Pollock based on 1 game, was just asked how he looked.

I will add to, i've seen Pollack play in juniors too so my comments about him just being a "solid" prospect with not 1 skill standing out stem from that, moreso then just development camp. Will also add, that doesn' tmean I don't like them and that shouldn't be taken negatively. 

I would agree with this 100% and I don't mean to give a definitive report about Pollock based on 1 game, was just asked how he looked.

I will add to, i've seen Pollack play in juniors too so my comments about him just being a "solid" prospect with not 1 skill standing out stem from that, moreso then just development camp. Will also add, that doesn' tmean I don't like them and that shouldn't be taken negatively. 

Maybe he is another "boring" Sean Monahan, wouldn't that be good.

Maybe he is another "boring" Sean Monahan, wouldn't that be good.

would be great sure but its highly unlikely. Pollock doesn't have near the hockey sense Mony had at the same age. Similar physical skill sets sure, but Monahan's hockey sense was/is elite IMO, Pollocks is good but nowhere near and elite level. 

Archived