This years camp starts on Monday, July 4th.

The scrimmage is on Thursday, July 6th.

I've never been to one before, and for the first time, may have the days open to attend.

There are some interesting players on try-out agreements I'd like to see.

Has anyone here attended the Skill Development and Power Skating sessions in past camps?

What could I expect?

Is anyone here planning to attend the scrimmage?

Who are you going to be watching?

My wife and I will be attending the scrimmage on Thursday. I hope they meant Thursday as they erred by saying it was Thursday the 6th when Thursday is the 7th. My assumption is that the other events would not be as exciting. I have never been to one before though. I am interested in Austin Carroll, Jon Gillies, Dillon Dube, Brandon Hickey, Adam Ollas-Mattson, Mason McDonald, Matt Tkachuk, and Tyler Parsons. I am not sure why I am interested in Carroll. I think he was our last pick after all. I have just heard good things about his development and I like a long shot.

This years camp starts on Monday, July 4th.

The scrimmage is on Thursday, July 6th.

I've never been to one before, and for the first time, may have the days open to attend.

There are some interesting players on try-out agreements I'd like to see.

Has anyone here attended the Skill Development and Power Skating sessions in past camps?

What could I expect?

Is anyone here planning to attend the scrimmage?

Who are you going to be watching?

Because its new coaches I'm not sure what to expect.  What BH did in the past is run a series of drills, battle drills, transition drills, 2 on 1 drills, etc and the skating was round rink and sprints.  It was interesting to see the different guys competing and get an idea on the new guys.  The scrimmage was very good, about 40 minutes playing time in 2-3 different formats.  

I like to watch everyone, tracking good vs bad plays but that's just me.  There are way too many guys to focus in on 1-2 players, but if that's what you've gone for,  go for it.  Just a note, come at least a half hour early, its a sell-out and parking is terrible.

I'll be going to watch the skills development session on Tuesday morning, then I'll play it by ear.  These sessions are very much like a standard hockey practice.  You'll see 3-on-2 rushes, d-men squeezing forwards out along the boards.  Forwards trying to protect the puck while d-men try to knock them off it.  Goalies being coached on positioning and movement.

I'm doubtful for the scrimmage, as it gets awfully crowded.  And, the viewing area in on one end of the ice, so it's not ideal seating. 

I'm interested in seeing how Gillies looks.  McDonald too.  I saw a ton of Tkachuk and Parsons this past season, so I'm less interested in seeing them.  Team 2 has Andersson, Hickey, and Ollas-Mattson.  I'm curious as to how they'll perform.

Just a note, come at least a half hour early, its a sell-out and parking is terrible.

That is very helpful, thank you. It might very well not have occurred to me to get there much earlier.

I'm doubtful for the scrimmage, as it gets awfully crowded.  And, the viewing area in on one end of the ice, so it's not ideal seating. 

Hmmmm, that is also quite helpful. It never ceases to amaze me how interested Calgarians are in hockey. I still remember the 1990s when the 'dome was a rather subdued facility. 

Development camp definetly changed once the rebuild started. I use to go when they were at son Hartman and there was less than 20 people in the stands. Can't blame them, the top prospect that year was Andrei Taratukkn. It was sad.

It you want to go to the scrimmage get there early. Went wth a friend who got there about an Hour prior to get a seat. The drills are ok but I find you tend to overrate prospects when you watch them on drills. Emphasizes their physical traits and skills and less their hockey sense but that's just me.

I like watching everyone and see who stands out but I do tend to focus on new draftees and European guys we don't get to se as much.

Anyone notice the 30ft tall imagine of Sam Bennett on the south side of the MacPhail building? He's doing pull-ups. That is never going to go away.

The power skating session is interesting. There are 6 players on the ice. Three of them are the guys who (IMO) are the worst skaters in the prospect pool.

Did anyone else go to the session this morning?   I'm interested in hearing what other people thought.  Due to other commitments, this was the only session I'll be able to attend.  I'll be brief here...

The first thing I noticed was they put names on the jerseys this year.  It makes it a lot easier to know who's performing well (or not performing, as the case may be).  In years past, I'd have to scan my sheet every time some anonymous player caught my eye.  (By the way, the teams got shuffled around; the teams posted on the Flames site are not quite the same as those that were on the ice)

In my opinion, the two most polished players on the ice were d-men: Brandon Hickey and Ryan Culkin.  I'm not sure any of the players struck me as being NHL-ready.  If you held a gun to my head and said I had to start the season with one of the guys from the first session, it'd be Brandon Hickey.

Jankowski seems to do all things well.  Dillon Dube was pretty smooth too.  Matthew Phillips is very skilled, but he takes a beating in any of the battle drills.  (The highlight of the session, for me, was a drill in which a forward and a d-man stand in front of the net and a coach fires a puck into the corner.  Culkin cross-checked Phillips to the ice the moment the coach shot the puck.  It gave me a laugh)

Braydon Burke is another guy who is skilled but small-ish.  Like Phillips, the battle drills were not his forte.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Flames keep him around.

For me, the biggest disappointment was Ollas-Mattson.  He's big and strong, but he seemed rather disinterested.  He's really happy to smear someone in the corner or clear a forward from in front of the net, but he'd labour up the ice with one hand on his stick.  He almost had the posture of a guy who was going for a line change.  Andersson could be accused of being a little slow too, although he was really good with the puck when they had mini 3-on-3 games.

Sure sounds like Eetu Tuulola had one heck of a scrimmage today. 3 goals and he added another in the shootout.

I think we have another Ferland on our hands. Big physical forward with some skill, it's just a matter of finding consistency.

I got there late and didn't have the best view but Sheldon Rempal looked really good to me.  He showed a burst of speed and scored on a nice shot.  I see he's on an invite and headed to college.  Anyone else notice him ?  Aside from him, Kylington looks like he's on a different level...would not be surprised to see him up with the big team soon. 

Sure sounds like Eetu Tuulola had one heck of a scrimmage today. 3 goals and he added another in the shootout.

I think we have another Ferland on our hands. Big physical forward with some skill, it's just a matter of finding consistency.

I think he is a bit underrated, but still is a work in progress.  I am quite excited to have him as a prospect, and hope that he manages to make the right choice for development.  I believe he was selected by Everett in the WHL or could go back home to play.  Is he able to play in the AHL this season?

I think he is a bit underrated, but still is a work in progress.  I am quite excited to have him as a prospect, and hope that he manages to make the right choice for development.  I believe he was selected by Everett in the WHL or could go back home to play.  Is he able to play in the AHL this season?

I believe he has all 3 options same as kylington had, that he can play junior, ahl, nhl or europe.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/6/28/everett-silvertips-select-eetu-tuulola-in-chl-import-draft-linus-lindstrom-undrafted

Yea thats what it says here.

I believe he has all 3 options same as kylington had, that he can play junior, ahl, nhl or europe.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/6/28/everett-silvertips-select-eetu-tuulola-in-chl-import-draft-linus-lindstrom-undrafted

Yea thats what it says here.

Good to know.  AHL may be the best spot for him.  At least it puts him under Flames control.  Playing in the CHL he would be pounding kids into the boards or running them over.

I got there late and didn't have the best view but Sheldon Rempal looked really good to me.  He showed a burst of speed and scored on a nice shot.  I see he's on an invite and headed to college.  Anyone else notice him ?  Aside from him, Kylington looks like he's on a different level...would not be surprised to see him up with the big team soon. 

Rempal did look good today. Quick, agile, and always involved in the play.

Kylington's skating is not very good or excellent, it is exceptional. His balance is truly something to behold. I suspect that a lot of figure skaters don't have his sense of balance. He needs to hit the gym and build up some muscle.

That goal by Phillips was simply incredible. I would love to have reviewed that one in slow motion. He is a speedy player who can really puck handle well. His size is the only impediment to making the big club. The crowd cheered rather loudly when he scored. He dazzled on that goal.

I was impressed by Olias-Mattson. The guy seems to lack confidence in the offensive zone, but he is gifted in his own zone.

I thought Hickey looked great too. He is a working man's Brodie IMO.

Hunter Smith really needs to improve his skating and balance. He often seems slow and unable to maneuver very quickly. That might simply be a case of his body still changing/growing. He often seemed winded to me, and ultimately left the ice after hitting another player. He got smacked in the face. 

Kanzig's skating is much better than the last time I watched him play. He needs to be more explosive on the rush.

Tkachuk is clearly a great pick. His skating was very good, he reads the play better than I thought, and he passes very nicely. I watched his father play for years in Winterpeg, and assumed he was a clone. I think he might be a little more talented quite frankly. It was good, inexpensive entertainment. 

Thanks to cccsberg and StarkRaving for the tip to get there early. My wife and I showed up at 8:40am and it was almost full then. We managed to get good seats. 

Agree, Tuulola had a great game both in scoring, along the boards and handling the puck.  Probably the most impressive forward of them all.  In addition several D had good games, with Ollas-Matsson, Fox, Andersson and Hickey my favourites.  Back to Tuulola, he's been pretty consistent all camp. His puck handling and patience with the puck was really good, probably an upgrade on Ferland from these few days.  I hope he continues to develop, and that we can get him into the AHL sooner rather than later.

Agree, Tuulola had a great game both in scoring, along the boards and handling the puck.  Probably the most impressive forward of them all.  In addition several D had good games, with Ollas-Matsson, Fox, Andersson and Hickey my favourites.  Back to Tuulola, he's been pretty consistent all camp. His puck handling and patience with the puck was really good, probably an upgrade on Ferland from these few days.  I hope he continues to develop, and that we can get him into the AHL sooner rather than later.

Yes, Tuulola was very good and Andersson looks like an NHL player already. It is hard to compare him to NHL players when he is among this group though. 

Went today. will post general thoughts but feel free to ask about any specific players.

First thought was this realy confirmed the Flames have a good draft class. Usually in every class I find at least one player that makes you say "why did they draft that guy" wasn't the case this year. You can easily see why they liked every player.

Star was Tuulo, no question. Was fantastic down low and has no problem taking the body. Shot was better than I was expecting and he scored a beauty over the shoulder of Parsons bar down. Great scrimmage but he is still a project, needs to work on agility, balance and his puck skills but there is an intriguing package there especially for where they got him. Treliving hinted that it sounds like he will go to Everett which I think is best.

Tkachuk was ok but not great. He gets around the ice just fine but his acceleration and first 2 steps need work. Very good forechcker and know his way around the ice, he just didn't stand out which isn't a big deal for 1 game.

2016 Draft class:

Dube was impressive. Real quick skater who likes the puck on his stick and can make plays off of it. Went to hard areas on both ends of the ice. would have like to see him shoot or finish some plays more but I believe had a goal.

Parsons was good but very scrambly. Will need to refine technique.

Fox - good skater who can pick his spot but is raw. Cost himself and put himself in bad positions at times with decision making but in a scrimmage I'd rather see guys take risks than not

Mattson - moves well for a bit body but didn't stand out as much today

Linus - I liked his game. Skating needs work and he needs to get stronger but he gets to the right areas. Smart two way player, really your classic swede.

Phillips had an exceptional goal on a shootout move, highlight reel. Struggled in the game thought. Could have been nerves but I found him very hesitant with the puck.

As others have said Kylington's skating is excellent and he had some really nice rushes. Still raw though, and at times didn't pick his spots well and left teammates exposed. Progressing, but still needs time.

Hickey is as good a skater IMO. he had a play where it literally looked like he got shot out of a cannon at the blueline to join the rush. When he goes, its amazing to watch. Was real solid defensively but he needs to develop more offence.

Anderson was a OK but I can't say I was impressed. Still the case where in the offensive zone he is great but outside he doesn't do much. Doesn't hurt his team, but does nothing to stand out either and would have liked to see his skating a bit better by now.

Ollas Mattson has improved his agility and is a better skater even since the wJC. I liked his game but still a bit raw. At times has some questionable decision making with where he moves the puck to. Better puck mover than someone who will skate it out.

I quite liked Culkin. He had some bad reads, especially early, but he really settled in after. If he can stay healthy he'd compete for a spot. Very smart and smooth skating player with a solid IQ but you can see how the injuries have hurt development.

Pollack was solid but didn't stand out but he showed you a bit of everything too. Solid all around prospect, but nothing stood out in his game.

Of the camp invites I liked Burke the best. Good skill, especially in tight and while yes he is small I thought he gets around the ice really well. I'd bring him in and I would mike Rempel or Doucette on AHL deals or keep on eye for the future. Doucette plays a big mans game but lacks some skill/finish. Rempel shows you flashes but has lots of holes.

Overall was a good and competitive game. Feisty and the pace of the 2nd game was really good.

It appears as though Gillies was shut down early in the camp.  Has anyone heard anything?  (I think he left the ice early on the first day and never came back)  He was supposed to play in the scrimmage, but wasn't on the ice.

According to the Flames, their plan was to ease Gilles in and they are saying now they never wanted him to play in the scrimmage. Nothing wrong, they just don't want to push him back into it.

Archived