Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Via Darren Haynes on twitter,  "Stat I keep coming back to is this: Flames have led after first period only three times. Three! That’s lowest in the league by far. Next on list are some teams at six. Gulutzan says team starts with energy, but he thinks they get wound up too tight. They need to remedy this fast."

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rickross said:

Consistently inconsistent is what the Flames have been. My problem with GG is that he's failed to develop and instill a strong identity in the Flames. Sure we've improved statistically in some categories but WHO is this team? With Gulutzan it's been a guessing game of which team shows up on any given day. Seriously, consider where this team would be without Mike Smith this season. This team depends on J.Gaudreau for 50% of its offence. Some of the onus falls on the players of course but a good coach should evoke their players to heighten their game.  Even Bob Hartley got career years out of his players and successfully instilled a "hardest working team" identity. 

There are some really good things GG has done with this team , overall possession and PP for example have improved. I can't blame him for the lack of quality goaltending we've had but he is responsible for the play in front of the net. I think we may have already seen this team reach its ceiling under GG. He's not a bad coach but in reality the Flames have capped out as no more than a slightly above average team at best

I don't disagree with most of the comments these days as they are evolving from our frustration with the team's inconsistent play. We are not the only team fighting through some of the same things. Babcock was pointed out as a saviour in TOR, well I hate to say it but he is going through the same things the Flames are so far. I have to say the two areas that have been the biggest disappointments are our Defensemen and our PK ineffectiveness. PP's will always come and go or be hot or cold however I am encouraged that our 5 on 5 is coming on somewhat over the last 6 games.

I think if this team has a mid-season coaching change (yeah right!), Dave Tippett should be the one they bring in over anyone else who's available (incl. Darryl Sutter). Before the Coyotes started tanking, he was able to coach to the player's strengths and get solid team defense established. It may make for boring hockey, but I'd rather win in a boring manner instead of losing excitingly like last night.

I think GG would be a great little league coach. He's so well-balanced and his emotion is non-existent.

Unfortunately, when you're running a team of grown men, you can't be everyone's buddy.

If we are so well coached and playing, "within the system", why do we have no identity?

Why can't we bend teams to play our game?

I think our game must just be a reactive one. We get wills imposed on us, we rarely do it ourselves.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think GG would be a great little league coach. He's so well-balanced and his emotion is non-existent.

Unfortunately, when you're running a team of grown men, you can't be everyone's buddy.

If we are so well coached and playing, "within the system", why do we have no identity?

Why can't we bend teams to play our game?

I think our game must just be a reactive one. We get wills imposed on us, we rarely do it ourselves.

I agree something is amiss with the team but unlike others I lean more towards the lack of effort at times from our players. This tells me they are not playing for each other and focusing more on their individual play. Systems are systems, they are only a structure for the players to execute. I have a hard time believing any hockey system is difficult to implement. Hockey really isn't a complex game. Do we lack identity, maybe not, maybe our identity is that we are soft and easy to play against. The question now is how does this get changed.

21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree something is amiss with the team but unlike others I lean more towards the lack of effort at times from our players. This tells me they are not playing for each other and focusing more on their individual play. Systems are systems, they are only a structure for the players to execute. I have a hard time believing any hockey system is difficult to implement. Hockey really isn't a complex game. Do we lack identity, maybe not, maybe our identity is that we are soft and easy to play against. The question now is how does this get changed.

The problem with the structure, is that it needs doors and windows.

It can't be, "Hey everyone, stay in here".

They'll suffocate.

Don't wait until you're getting blown out to open the doors and windows. The players can't come and go as they please, but don't wait until the building is on fire.

Show some faith that the players can be entrusted to play outside of the house and still be home for dinner.

Does that analogy make sense?

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They'll suffocate.

Don't wait until you're getting blown out to open the doors and windows. The players can't come and go as they please, but don't wait until the building is on fire.

Show some faith that the players can be entrusted to play outside of the house and still be home for dinner.

No

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There needs to be a love button beside the like button, lol.

Let's just say, when it was 5-1, imho he pretty much said, "do whatever".

All of a sudden, we're a team that can score.

We're shackled. Because like that, we score. Like this, we don't.

Perhaps there lies the frustration GG has been venting with the lack of execution by this group. If you want to be a possession styled team well you had better stop coughing it up all of the time. We are also a team that does not control the boards or have a strong fore-check, something has to change.

51 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There needs to be a love button beside the like button, lol.

Let's just say, when it was 5-1, imho he pretty much said, "do whatever".

All of a sudden, we're a team that can score.

We're shackled. Because like that, we score. Like this, we don't.

It's almost as if the team decided by itself to play something different after the 2nd period.  "Lets just trying funneling everything to the net, because the goalie is weak".   Sounds like something they should have tried earlier.  Did we adjust the PP because of a weak goalie?  Naw, it was the same thing, move the puck around, try to get some shots in from the point by wristing it in there.  How many shinpads do you need to hit before you try a shot off the boards for a rebound. 

Somehow the coach is oblivious to the way the team thinks.  He can't figure out why they start the game slow.  Yet, he preaches the possession game becauce it's the one that lets you win.  That is true of teams like the Kings and Hawks because they have been able to play a heavy game or pressure at the blueline when defending.  Not so true for teams like the Flames and Oilers. 

It's funny that against the Yotes, we played a more complete game but still only managed to in by 3.  It should have been 10-0.  In this game, we have a PP and execute it according to plan, but it results in a shortie.  Perhaps that plan needs to be looked at.  Possession only is useful to wear down the opponent on a PP.  If you lose it as soon as you finally shoot it, then it wasn't that useful.              

GG made some interesting remarks in his post-game comments last night.  What caught my attention is his insistence that the team is listening, that they really want to learn and to win, that nobody is playing for themselves.... It kind of surprised me, as I would have thought that the players would also be frustrated and would be having an issue with some of the coach's decisions, like we seem to have looking in from the outside.  But then, thinking about it, with GG being a "players" coach perhaps they are just sitting together dreaming up what to try next and GG suggesting certain things then the Flames going out and trying them out.  You know, buddy buddy.  I can't recall any instance outside of the "ultimatum" last Spring where GG has put his foot down and DEMANDED certain action, or else.  Sure, players might like that set-up, but I bet most of us actually perform better when someone is riding us and keeping accountability than depending on us keeping ourselves accountable.  

As far as the game goes, I thought Hathaway was actually the guy to turn the tide when he started to go out of his way to hit and rough up multiple guys each shift starting in the 3rd.  It unsettled the Oilers and the team responded, especially Bennett.  Lots of you don't like Hathaway, and stats-wise he's not a darling but I believe what he brings is absolutely critical to the Flames now and into the future.  I wouldn't mind seeing him with Jankowski and Bennett but what to do with Jagr, who also is doing OK there.

27 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

GG made some interesting remarks in his post-game comments last night.  What caught my attention is his insistence that the team is listening, that they really want to learn and to win, that nobody is playing for themselves.... It kind of surprised me, as I would have thought that the players would also be frustrated and would be having an issue with some of the coach's decisions, like we seem to have looking in from the outside.  But then, thinking about it, with GG being a "players" coach perhaps they are just sitting together dreaming up what to try next and GG suggesting certain things then the Flames going out and trying them out.  You know, buddy buddy.  I can't recall any instance outside of the "ultimatum" last Spring where GG has put his foot down and DEMANDED certain action, or else.  Sure, players might like that set-up, but I bet most of us actually perform better when someone is riding us and keeping accountability than depending on us keeping ourselves accountable.  

As far as the game goes, I thought Hathaway was actually the guy to turn the tide when he started to go out of his way to hit and rough up multiple guys each shift starting in the 3rd.  It unsettled the Oilers and the team responded, especially Bennett.  Lots of you don't like Hathaway, and stats-wise he's not a darling but I believe what he brings is absolutely critical to the Flames now and into the future.  I wouldn't mind seeing him with Jankowski and Bennett but what to do with Jagr, who also is doing OK there.

I was left wondering when GG pretty much insisted that it was just the Flames gripping their sticks from nervous energy.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They'll suffocate.

No. :D

14 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Whatever the issue are in that dressing room or on the ice this team has to work through them together, it's how you become a team. There was a written piece that said "the Oilers are in our heads " and I think he is right and so is GG saying the team is at time gripping their sticks to tight. All good points but so are some of the outside observations being made by some of our posters. It's one thing to score but you can't forget about other aspects of our game. It is easy to point out Hathaway because he is one of the only players we have that hits people, we need more aggressiveness in every phase of the game. You can't be a possession team and always be giving up the puck, this is why we have people asking about our identity, we are somewhere in between presently.

36 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Whatever the issue are in that dressing room or on the ice this team has to work through them together, it's how you become a team. There was a written piece that said "the Oilers are in our heads " and I think he is right and so is GG saying the team is at time gripping their sticks to tight. All good points but so are some of the outside observations being made by some of our posters. It's one thing to score but you can't forget about other aspects of our game. It is easy to point out Hathaway because he is one of the only players we have that hits people, we need more aggressiveness in every phase of the game. You can't be a possession team and always be giving up the puck, this is why we have people asking about our identity, we are somewhere in between presently.

How is it we are a possession team that is above 50% on possession but are still giving up the puck?

Honestly, I don't think Gully has a clue what is going on.  He's preaching a certain game, and that game doesn't seem sustainable.  The excuses about "gripping sticks" doesn't wash.  The Flames look lost out there when a team play a different style.  Happened against quite a few teams. 

Whatever the issues are facing the team, the coach is responsible for half of it.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How is it we are a possession team that is above 50% on possession but are still giving up the puck?

Honestly, I don't think Gully has a clue what is going on.  He's preaching a certain game, and that game doesn't seem sustainable.  The excuses about "gripping sticks" doesn't wash.  The Flames look lost out there when a team play a different style.  Happened against quite a few teams. 

Whatever the issues are facing the team, the coach is responsible for half of it.

Don't you watch the games ? we get knocked off the puck all the time and on the defensive to often.

Yeah, yeah, yeah GG knows nothing and fans such as you know way more about the game than he does, heard it all before.

Like I said these coaches and players have situations to work through, maybe they do, maybe they don't, where we are at the end of the season will tell the story.

24 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Don't you watch the games ? we get knocked off the puck all the time and on the defensive to often.

Yeah, yeah, yeah GG knows nothing and fans such as you know way more about the game than he does, heard it all before.

Like I said these coaches and players have situations to work through, maybe they do, maybe they don't, where we are at the end of the season will tell the story.

I'm glad he knows so much, because he doesn't know what to think.  Oilers are in their heads?  Right.  So are the Leafs, Wings, Dallas, Vancouver...Shall I go on?  BTW, check possession stats if you think we aren't usually controlling that.  Subtract the 4th line who regularly gets it's head kicked in.  Watch who gets lined up on home ice against a top line.  Brouwer versus Draisaitl?  Seriously?

Not sure why you are giving the coach a free pass.  

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm glad he knows so much, because he doesn't know what to think.  Oilers are in their heads?  Right.  So are the Leafs, Wings, Dallas, Vancouver...Shall I go on?  BTW, check possession stats if you think we aren't usually controlling that.  Subtract the 4th line who regularly gets it's head kicked in.  Watch who gets lined up on home ice against a top line.  Brouwer versus Draisaitl?  Seriously?

Not sure why you are giving the coach a free pass.  

Now you know what I think. wow you got this and everything figured out then. Where did I say he gets a free pass, quite the opposite, I said as a team they need to work through a umber of situations. I don't pretend to live and die by every win or loss of the Flames like some here. Firing the coach comes up not only here, you could check every site and find the same thing. It's the end of November and some fans are freaking out, what else is new.

56 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Now you know what I think. wow you got this and everything figured out then. Where did I say he gets a free pass, quite the opposite, I said as a team they need to work through a umber of situations. I don't pretend to live and die by every win or loss of the Flames like some here. Firing the coach comes up not only here, you could check every site and find the same thing. It's the end of November and some fans are freaking out, what else is new.

New?  Not at all.  Look back to the previous season and you'll see the same thing.  A brief respite when they played a string together, but fell off like chumps at the end of the season and in the 1st round.  They managed to go on that big run because they sat as a group and talked some things through.  That and they played some really tight hockey.

What I see here this year is the same coach doing the same things as last season.  Hold to a "system" that needed creativity to survive last season and a monsterous start this season by JH and company.  I'm yet to see a game where he outcoached the other team's coach.  Or do more than roll 4 lines that get trotted out essentially one after another.  The PP rolls for awhile, then other teams watch and adapt.  We get the same setup and same plays.  The PK has mostly sucked because it's too passive.  

Anyway, I was previously calling for the A/Coach's heads first, but it seems that this group will stay together until they aren't here.  The record of a good game followed by a bad game will continue until some changes occur.  Whether that is coaching (doubtful), playing style (also doubtful), or player selection, something needs to happen to get consistent play or in other words, sustainable play.    

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

New?  Not at all.  Look back to the previous season and you'll see the same thing.  A brief respite when they played a string together, but fell off like chumps at the end of the season and in the 1st round.  They managed to go on that big run because they sat as a group and talked some things through.  That and they played some really tight hockey.

What I see here this year is the same coach doing the same things as last season.  Hold to a "system" that needed creativity to survive last season and a monsterous start this season by JH and company.  I'm yet to see a game where he outcoached the other team's coach.  Or do more than roll 4 lines that get trotted out essentially one after another.  The PP rolls for awhile, then other teams watch and adapt.  We get the same setup and same plays.  The PK has mostly sucked because it's too passive.  

Anyway, I was previously calling for the A/Coach's heads first, but it seems that this group will stay together until they aren't here.  The record of a good game followed by a bad game will continue until some changes occur.  Whether that is coaching (doubtful), playing style (also doubtful), or player selection, something needs to happen to get consistent play or in other words, sustainable play.    

You are right about one thing and that is changes need to keep happening until they get what they are suppose to be doing correct. If they don't and its a bad year fire the coaching staff. Every year is different, I cheer for them either way.

If we continue playing the way we are ATM. BT will get a call from Burke and Burke will say! " BT you traded all our draft picks for a playoff team and we are not playing like a playoff bound team So what are you going to do about it?"

Next thread!!

XXX XXXXXX -17th Flames Coach

I get that it is easy to blame the coach for this teams struggles, and there are some things that GG does that I don't quite get. That being said and have said this over and over it's hard for the coach to establish an identity, when he hasn't been giving the players to help establish any kind of identity. 

How many guys on this team play like they are sitting at a 0 on the give-a-crap meter, Dougie, Brodie, Monahan (at times), Brouwer, Versteeg, Gaudreau (at times). What I am trying to get at is how many guys on this team hate to lose? We have some very good players, Monahan for example is clutch at the end of the game, but there are large portions of game where you don't even notice he is on the ice. 

Brodie plays the most minutes on this team, but can't even be bothered to play the system? 

This team as assembled isn't that good. I don't put that on the coach. Some guys want them to play more physical, who on this team is physical? How can you play physical if all your players are softer than butter in the sun? 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get that it is easy to blame the coach for this teams struggles, and there are some things that GG does that I don't quite get. That being said and have said this over and over it's hard for the coach to establish an identity, when he hasn't been giving the players to help establish any kind of identity. 

How many guys on this team play like they are sitting at a 0 on the give-a-crap meter, Dougie, Brodie, Monahan (at times), Brouwer, Versteeg, Gaudreau (at times). What I am trying to get at is how many guys on this team hate to lose? We have some very good players, Monahan for example is clutch at the end of the game, but there are large portions of game where you don't even notice he is on the ice. 

Brodie plays the most minutes on this team, but can't even be bothered to play the system? 

This team as assembled isn't that good. I don't put that on the coach. Some guys want them to play more physical, who on this team is physical? How can you play physical if all your players are softer than butter in the sun? 

System what system?  I asked, an actual coach who has coached and scouted at a very high level ( one lower than the show), who is a Flames fan 2 questions 1) what are the systems he believes the Flames have in place, 2) Why  Brouwer on the PP?

Answers 

1) There are no systems from what he can see and if there is, the players are not buying what he is preaching.

2)  Brouwer is out there because GG believes that's his best option.

Now I am not saying this is the TRUTH but from a guy that has been around this situation this was his opinion. So next time I play golf with well a former Flame and once coach in the league I will confirm what his thoughts are as well.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Comment from Button....

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-gulutzan-needs-to-find-a-solution-to-flames-struggles~1277029

Not that I agree or disagree, just posting for a non fan's perspective.

Short version - shut up and coach.

I'm in agreement with Button here. If you watch GG's body when he give his comments on camera, majority of the time, his body language is negative and even when his words are positive, his body doesn't show it. I don't think GG is an inspiring coach that will rev up his team prior, during and after the game.

Archived