Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

One cannot give enough likes:)

It is an insistence, it seems.

I'm a bit bewildered, so reserve my opinion for when this gets deeper, imho.

It's a 5 goal league.

Taking away the slashes has been a boost in 8 goal games.

Ironically, we can't score more than 2 too often regardless...

Gully Quotes:

"Today was a game of critical moments, critical saves," summed up an obviously frustrated Glen Gulutzan. "Up 3-2, two minutes left to go in the second period … I've repeated it a thousand times what it means to go into the third with a lead.

"We get a powerplay and give up a shortie, that's a tough one.

"Then we took a penalty I don't think we needed to take, didn't get it killed. Then we get a defenceman in there forechecking, trying to get it back. And they make a nice play to catch us: 5-3, game over.

"We gave up 12 chances tonight, which is low in the league. Two goals (allowed) on the powerplay. One bad pinch.

"I don't see any problem defensively. We just need to get better penalty-kills."

Thanks Captain Obvious for the first two snippets.  

The first bolded makes it seem like we were outchanced.  Nice goal, but no coverage.  Kulak in deep and Bart too slow to catch a Sedin.  

The second bolded makes it seem like we have no defensive issues.  Just need to be better defensively on the PK's and Sedin like speedy players.;)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, YounGuns said:

I have to say that my patience with GG is really running thin.  We've got too much talent on this team to be so poorly coached, we could potentially throw away the season, and I have little faith that Gully can coach us through a long playoff run.  He just doesn't seem to have a grasp on who to play in which situations.  Gully complains about special teams and the bottom six not being good enough, but he doesn't put guys in positions to succeed.  It's not Brouwer's or Stajan's fault - they are too old and slow now, they'll never meet his expectations.  That's why nobody else in the NHL counts on their 4th line to score PP goals, or expects their 6th defensemen to kill important penalties.  Or expects a struggling 20 year old to switch between C and wing and have new line mates each week.

Last year he had Hamilton on the 3rd D pairing for the first few months.  And Chaisson was on the first line for months, despite doing nothing on it.  He's just terrible at utilizing players - it's his biggest fault as a coach.  Brouwer was practicing on the PP again today...why?  That's absurd.  We have far more skilled guys to deploy in that situation.  Brouwer is a fine 4th liner, nothing else at this point though makes sense, and yet we have a lot of young skilled guys that are being forced to watch Stajan and Brouwer flounder, all the while at the expense of their development and confidence.

Look at last game.  Sure Brouwer only played 11 minutes, but when he was out there he was an absolute liability.  First Gully puts Brouwer on the PK, then he came back with Brouwer's line right after the goal against us.  Why?

And has anyone else noticed how often Gully throws out our 4th liners WITH our 5th and 6th D men?  And that's when we're at home and have last change.  And the opposition is left licking their chops while they dance around our slow vets that for some reason GG wants to deploy at the expense of young talent.

I think with Gully we'd still be able to make playoffs, I just think we have enough talent to make it despite him, but I don't have much faith in him to win any series.  He just doesn't seem to be able to manage his roster like an NHL coach should be able to.  It's infuriating to watch.

I agree with some of what you have here but not all of it. There have been circumstances throughout October he has had to ride out like Jagr in Jagr out, where to play him. He gave Bennett the full month at C albeit with different Wingers in and out. I think the decision to move Bennett to LW is the right one and it allows Jankowskito play top 9 action. I think his real obvious mistake is the unwillingness to move Tkachuk away from Backlund and Frolik. Personally I would have tried Tkachuk with Bennett before I moved him to the LW. If we were getting more balanced scoring from the top 9 life would be good.

I agree with your view regarding the 4th line on with our bottom airing WHAT ? is he doing that for ? LOL

I have actually thought Brouwer of late has been playing well. My observation with Brouwer is that he is slow but also has no quickness with handling the puck. This signing was a bonehead move by BT but in GG's defense you can't have a 4.5M player riding the pine when he can be useful in some areas. I think GG is using him properly on the 4th line and some PK but keep him off the PP (no hands).

I don't understand the love affair with Bartkowski at all. Andersson should have been brought in and played the RSD, what a boost of confidence shown to him. How valuable would that have been.

Whether GG can guide the team through the playoffs remains to seen however let's not forget the players themselves play a large part in how far they go by that time of the season.

BTW GOOD POST

Where i struggle with the "Blame Gulutzan" crowd is were did people realistically think the Flames were going to be at this point? Honest question.

11th most Wins in the league

5 on 5:

6th in Corsi F%

8th in Fenwick

11% Best shots for (IE out shooting their opponents more than they are out shot)

4th Best GA

7th best in Scoring chances for% (out chancing their opponents more than being out chanced

10th best in High Danger chances for%

3rd worst in shoot percentage

4th best in Save % but it's only 93%

Big struggles are on special teams where there 19th in PP and 27th in PK and 8% below the "magic" 100 threshold you want to be at. I think the PK is a surprise but IMO the PP is not given they lack the shooters.

For me the Flames are playing right around the level they should be which is a playoff team but not a division contending team. I still think they can and will play better but there seems to be this notion that they are nowhere close to their potential and I'm curious as to why people think that. 

The coach is doing exceedingly well and the line pairings are well matched.  Frequent transitions (except during injuries) can alter player's performance; so sticking with the same lines can aid in victories.  From a die-hard flame's perspective, the Flames are performing up to par; but the occasional slacks are primarily reflective of misjudgments.  Decisions for player infarctions should apply to both teams. For instance, if Mike Stone was penalized for hooking (against the Vancouver Canucks) then the slashing call against Kris Versteeg should have been called because in all likelihood the Flames would have tied the game with a two men advantage. The same applies for the roughing call (that had not been called) against Mark Jankowski.  

Consequently, not penalizing the opposition in this case, increased the momentum for the visiting team and hence the setback.            

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Where i struggle with the "Blame Gulutzan" crowd is were did people realistically think the Flames were going to be at this point? Honest question.

5 on 5:

6th in Corsi F%

8th in Fenwick

11% Best shots for (IE out shooting their opponents more than they are out shot)

4th Best GA

7th best in Scoring chances for% (out chancing their opponents more than being out chanced

Big struggles are on special teams where there 19th in PP and 27th in PK and 8% below the "magic" 100 threshold you want to be at. I think the PK is a surprise but IMO the PP is not given they lack the shooters.

For me the Flames are playing right around the level they should be which is a playoff team but not a division contending team. I still think they can and will play better but there seems to be this notion that they are nowhere close to their potential and I'm curious as to why people think that. 

I would say to GG keep tweeking and encouraging what they are doing well and find better solutions to improve weaknesses.

There is no getting around that they need better than Bartkowski on defense. I like what the lines are for now. On the PK out front I would like to see Backlund and Frolik, then Bennett and Lazar. As far as our PP just keep taking quality shot and get them through to the net.

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

What I would say to that is they are playing inconsistently.  Some days they look like world beaters.  Other days like crap.  Is it that the systems they use are not sustainable against all teams?  If that's the case, then that's a coaching thing.  If the team falls back into certain patterns, that is the players.  

If you have a top 3 that is putting in all the goals (ok, so Johnny is in on 50% of all scoring plays) and the bottom 6 is doing nothing, it's possibly players, usage, lines or systems.  Only part of that is on the coach(s).

My biggest problem with this coach is usage.  Get momentum, throw out the 4th line.  Lose momentum, throw out the 4th line.  PP not connecting, throw out the same players.

Need a goal, throw out the lines not scoring.

I feel that GG is a better coach than any we've had since D. Sutter (before he became GM), but agree that his confidence with Bartkowski is confusing.

I'd be trying out Andersson as the 3rd pairing RD immediately.

He can't possibly look as bad as Bart, and actually has a darn good shot from the point.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I feel that GG is a better coach than any we've had since D. Sutter (before he became GM), but agree that his confidence with Bartkowski is confusing.

I'd be trying out Andersson as the 3rd pairing RD immediately.

He can't possibly look as bad as Bart, and actually has a darn good shot from the point.

You get to see it tonight.  I think that the comments from Gully after the last loss singled out Bart.  I thought he was talking about Kulak,but it seems that's not the case.  Bart is sitting out.  Don't expect the 3rd pair to see that much ice, unless they are killing it.

29 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Interesting GG gave us some very different looks with lines versus Det.

But Versteeg on defense on the PP again!!! Our PP bottom 10 of the league.

Anyone know who is running the PP??

It was a lot more effective the end of last year and early this season.  The 4F unit can be deadly if set up with the right players.  At least we are seeing Ferland on it over Brouwer.  I'm not sure if that was Gully or Cameron who decided on that change.  

The PK and PP are still the biggest issue with this team.  5v5 is getting a lot better, which is a good thing.  But if we can't get better on the special teams (Cameron and Jerrard) it will be a short season of meaningful games, ending in April.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was a lot more effective the end of last year and early this season.  The 4F unit can be deadly if set up with the right players.  At least we are seeing Ferland on it over Brouwer.  I'm not sure if that was Gully or Cameron who decided on that change.  

The PK and PP are still the biggest issue with this team.  5v5 is getting a lot better, which is a good thing.  But if we can't get better on the special teams (Cameron and Jerrard) it will be a short season of meaningful games, ending in April.

Stone was absolutely brutal on the PK last night. These guys have a goalie playing outstanding, let him do his job and stay out of the way. Look after your own responsibilities. Hamonic can't get back fast enough.

Just now, redfire11 said:

So if this is correct that Dave Cameron is running our PP.

His record with Ottawa 15/16 was 4th worst in the league with Karlsson as a D.

At least his record is improving (SLIGHTLY).

Again this is on GG and his decision making.

To a point. Hiring of Cameron was done with Treliving and Burke consutling on it so it's blame all around.

But I think its worth remembering this was one of the best PPs in the league last year. Seems pretty premature that based on a small sample size to start this season we've suddenly written it off as bad. The PP is not nearly as bad as people think and honestly I don't think its a coaching issue. Problem with the PP is they don't shoot enough and they lack natural shooters and that's not on the coach. I'm not even really a Cameron fan but I do think this doom and gloom around the PP is very premature. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To a point. Hiring of Cameron was done with Treliving and Burke consutling on it so it's blame all around.

But I think its worth remembering this was one of the best PPs in the league last year. Seems pretty premature that based on a small sample size to start this season we've suddenly written it off as bad. The PP is not nearly as bad as people think and honestly I don't think its a coaching issue. Problem with the PP is they don't shoot enough and they lack natural shooters and that's not on the coach. I'm not even really a Cameron fan but I do think this doom and gloom around the PP is very premature. 

Staying with today's theme I think if you remove Versteeg from the PP and move Jagr into the mix our PP improves. Plus I agree these guys have to put more pucks on net and let the guys in front converge on rebounds.

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Last season started with people calling for Cameron's head because the PP was useless.  They mad some tweaks to it and it improved to the point where it was one of the best from January on.  

This year, similar to last, is more about the usage not matching the need.  Brouwer to provide a net presence, but only results in him getting hit with the puck.  Versteeg being added when we have two QB's out there in Brodie and JH.  Not putting a heavy shot on the point.  

To me, the problem lies with who is being used, which leads to the way they execute.  Replace Versteeg with a shooter.  Replace Brouwer with a guy that can deflect the puck or sense enough to get in the sight lines.  Blame the guy that makes those choices.  Maybe it's the exact same setup as last year, but things don't always work 2 years in a row.  Versteeg is not the same player this year.  JH is starting to shoot more.  

I don't like Versteeg on the PP either. I didn't mind Brouwer becuase I understand the role they are using but it wasn't working but they also did make the switch there too. I don't think it's easy as saying "just put a shooter" out there because who is that? Imo, this team lacks shooters so i'm not sure it's as easy a fix as you think.

End of the day for 60 games last year this was one of the league's best PPs. For the first 8 games this year they were at 22%, went through a bad 4 games where they didn't score and now in the last 4 games they are 23 % again. I get people are not seeing what they want and that's fine but you're reading into a very small sample size when we talk about the flames having an awful PP or the coach needing to go.

personally i'm not sure what the focus is on the PP. The PK is far more problematic. From a bigger picture scenario I don't think there is much wrong with the PP other than the players taking more chances and actually scoring more goals, the process on the PP Is sound IMO. PK is another story. 

Last season started with people calling for Cameron's head because the PP was useless.  They mad some tweaks to it and it improved to the point where it was one of the best from January on.  

This year, similar to last, is more about the usage not matching the need.  Brouwer to provide a net presence, but only results in him getting hit with the puck.  Versteeg being added when we have two QB's out there in Brodie and JH.  Not putting a heavy shot on the point.  

To me, the problem lies with who is being used, which leads to the way they execute.  Replace Versteeg with a shooter.  Replace Brouwer with a guy that can deflect the puck or sense enough to get in the sight lines.  Blame the guy that makes those choices.  Maybe it's the exact same setup as last year, but things don't always work 2 years in a row.  Versteeg is not the same player this year.  JH is starting to shoot more.  

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't like Versteeg on the PP either. I didn't mind Brouwer becuase I understand the role they are using but it wasn't working but they also did make the switch there too. I don't think it's easy as saying "just put a shooter" out there because who is that? Imo, this team lacks shooters so i'm not sure it's as easy a fix as you think.

End of the day for 60 games last year this was one of the league's best PPs. For the first 8 games this year they were at 22%, went through a bad 4 games where they didn't score and now in the last 4 games they are 23 % again. I get people are not seeing what they want and that's fine but you're reading into a very small sample size when we talk about the flames having an awful PP or the coach needing to go.

personally i'm not sure what the focus is on the PP. The PK is far more problematic. From a bigger picture scenario I don't think there is much wrong with the PP other than the players taking more chances and actually scoring more goals, the process on the PP Is sound IMO. PK is another story. 

I agree that we lack shooters and for me that is the biggest issue with the team in general and on the PP. I don't like that the PP isn't designed to get the puck to our best shooter (Monahan). I feel like he isn't used effectively on the PP and to me that is a bigger issue than having Versteeg on the PP, though I would rather see Hamilton in his spot.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I agree that we lack shooters and for me that is the biggest issue with the team in general and on the PP. I don't like that the PP isn't designed to get the puck to our best shooter (Monahan). I feel like he isn't used effectively on the PP and to me that is a bigger issue than having Versteeg on the PP, though I would rather see Hamilton in his spot.

Do we really lack shooters ? I don't think we do however we have been trying to be to cute with passing. Most PP goals are rebound type goals so yes we need the guys on the points like Hamilton, Stone and Giordano that can get it through. Gaudreau and Jagr from the sides are our other best options to shoot with Monahan, Tkachuk Bennett and Ferland to clean up rebounds.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The 1st unit is a 4F setup, which is fine, but I think it lacks that one-timer.  A Stamkos/Ovi type shot.  Or a Weber type shot from the point.  Not saying we have those players on this team, just what I think would help.  Stone has a fairly accurate slapshot, but never really see him out there.  Hamonic has a good shot, but same thing.  Monahan is probably the closest we have to a trigger man, but he doesn't seem to have any space to do it that much; if anything he gets the rebound chances.  Versteeg is not the right guy on the point, if you are playing Brodie.  

I like Hamilton out on the 2nd unit because he can get the shot through.  Gio breaks his stick more often than not and he has a habit of shooting into the first player in front of him.  

There's only a few guys that know how to deflect pucks, and I wish the team would practice it (and use it) more; Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Frolik for sure.  Maybe some I have missed.  

These are just some random thoughts about usage.  Maybe they work for this team or not.  The point is that if you are not having a reasonable amount of success, you either need to devise some set plays or change some things up.  No guarantee of success, but you can't just stick with things that aren't working. 

On 2017-11-09 at 11:03 AM, cross16 said:

5 on 5:

6th in Corsi F%

8th in Fenwick

4th Best GA

For me, even last year, I feel like the style of play results in great numbers, but I don’t see grade A scoring chances. I might be wrong or over critical. Sure we have the puck and sometimes stats tell us a different story. But for me, even last year, it was kind of a boring style of hockey, where Player’s feel computerized, or deliberate it the play. That’s fine, and great! But we see that results aren’t there 5-On-5. 

I am probably wrong.

I like it a bit more than Hartley’s system because of the scoring chances we saw against... I guess I’d like to see whet we have now - a bit - plus a bit more offensive creativity. Or do we have the players to do that?

On 09/11/2017 at 0:03 PM, cross16 said:

5 on 5:

6th in Corsi F%

8th in Fenwick

4th Best GA

Spout out all the stats you want Cross but fact is we would not be anywhere near in the standings without the elite goaltending we are getting. 

Practically no one cares about corsi or fenwick stats when the team is only scoring around 2 goals per game and even a large portion of those are coming from 1 player.

On 2017-11-09 at 9:03 AM, cross16 said:

5 on 5:

6th in Corsi F%

8th in Fenwick

4th Best GA

Before last game the bottom half of the 4 forward lines had exactly 0 5v5 goals.  How about them actually contributing on a regular basis?

Archived