• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Unrelated to the recent discourse, but two roster decisions today:

Bart in for Kulak

Glass in, Lazar out.

Discuss.  :D

Lazar disappeared from being used last game ( injury ?) Kulak or Bartkowski could be simply splitting the action. I didn't see anything to bench Kulak at all.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Unrelated to the recent discourse, but two roster decisions today:

Bart in for Kulak

Glass in, Lazar out.

Discuss.  :D

Bartkowski and Kulak are basically the same player. Kulak has a bit extra size, Bart is a bit more physical. Kulak frustrates me a bit more than Bart does though. Kulak is a great skater, but once he gets the puck he has no clue what to do with it and ends up skating himself into trouble more often than not.

I am baffled with Lazar, for a 1st round pick he has no hands, did he used to have more touch, or did he just score from hard work in junior. Putting Glass in for Lazar really doesn't change much other than Glass will probably see PK time.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Bartkowski and Kulak are basically the same player. Kulak has a bit extra size, Bart is a bit more physical. Kulak frustrates me a bit more than Bart does though. Kulak is a great skater, but once he gets the puck he has no clue what to do with it and ends up skating himself into trouble more often than not.

I am baffled with Lazar, for a 1st round pick he has no hands, did he used to have more touch, or did he just score from hard work in junior. Putting Glass in for Lazar really doesn't change much other than Glass will probably see PK time.

Lazar is a huge disappointment for a 2nd overall pick. Trevling needs to move past these reclamation projects, he seems to blindly throw picks around in hopes of a miracle. Kulak as with Bart are MEH there is no difference with one or the other. At least with Glass we may see a body check tonight. For me the coaches and Trevling need to rattle some cages. Simply play to your expectation level or find your self, waived traded or demoted...Regardless of status, enough is enough. The only way to rid mediocrity is simply don't allow it.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The reason why I was not a big fan of the Lazar acquisition was exactly that, he isn't a finisher. so for me I haven't seen touch from him I've seen the greasy goals. Not that's it's a bad skill set but it really limits your upside at the NHL level. 

He's a great person and great intangibles so I get why the flames were interested but I just don't think giving up a 2nd for thos intangibles was worth it based on the Fact he isn't a finisher and probably will never be a goal scorer at the NHL level. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The reason why I was not a big fan of the Lazar acquisition was exactly that, he isn't a finisher. so for me I haven't seen touch from him I've seen the greasy goals. Not that's it's a bad skill set but it really limits your upside at the NHL level. 

He's a great person and great intangibles so I get why the flames were interested but I just don't think giving up a 2nd for thos intangibles was worth it based on the Fact he isn't a finisher and probably will never be a goal scorer at the NHL level. 

Kind of thinking the same with watching Lazar. I was hoping for better but he may end up being a good 4th line C utility type player. Yes I know not someone to use a 2nd round pick on however let's carry on.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Trevling needs to move past these reclamation projects, he seems to blindly throw picks around in hopes of a miracle. 

What frustrates me most about BT is his loyalty to the vets. He needs to be more cold hearted and be a what have you done for me lately GM.

Mangiapane, Lomberg, and Rittich deserve a 3 game stint for a good look.  Meanwhile, Stajan and Lack should get tweaked groins and go on the IR.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What frustrates me most about BT is his loyalty to the vets. He needs to be more cold hearted and be a what have you done for me lately GM.

Mangiapane, Lomberg, and Rittich deserve a 3 game stint for a good look.  Meanwhile, Stajan and Lack should get tweaked groins and go on the IR.

I could care less if Glass or Freddie get sent down.  AT this point, I would even suggest that we send down Lazar.  He's not going to get any confidence back in his present situation.  Doubtful he gets claimed, but so what if he did.  He's not going to get 40 games here.  

Send down Glass, Freddie and Lazar, and bring up Mangiapane and Hathaway.  When Jagr gets back, we are sitting whoever doesn't play up to snuff.  Be that Brouwer, Stajan, Ferland, Bennett, whoever.  Hathaway is the extra forward and then the 14th when Jagr comes back.

As to the Bart vs Kulak debate, I have seen less to complain about from Kulak.  Bart has been high risk, low reward.  He makes some good plays where the play moves in the right direction, but the gaffes are the kind that end up in the net.  My preference would be to lose Bart and bring up a guy from the Heat.  RHS, LHS, I don't really care as long as they play.  Then the 7th D-man doesn't matter if it's Kulak or Bart; they won't be playing. 

Its time to rid this club of Gully is boardinging the worst coach I have ever seen. Has no boardinging clue how to coach motivate or get the best out of anyone. How the boarding do you lose not once but boardinging twice to clubs coming off back to backs. This boardinging play as a group just gives every team time to come back and cover. Than you have the worst PP and PK to boot....boardinging time to clean house.

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So it better to blame the month of the year... So what is the coaches responsibility in your eyes?

This organization starts slow. Why I have no idea but this is a pattern that goes beyond Gulutzan. I also think it's not valubke to talk about firing an entire staff this early into the season. Lots of teams look clunky and if someone had their way GG would have been fired ten games into last season and last season turned out just fine. 

A coachs resposnvikitu is huge, however I don't agree with their impact on a team like others. I compare a coach to an airline pilot. Most planes now have auto pilot so they are going to get where they need to go irregardless or what the pilot does. The pilot can make the trip a little smoother or rougher but their impact on the result isn't huge. I believe pro sports are players games won and lost by players, not coaches. 

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

The difference is I see this as the best team we have iced in the last 5 years.

But that goes back to Sutter years too. They started this slow under Sutter and Keenan too when I think they had better teams. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

yup, definetly Gulutzan fault. 

This year 11 games so far, 12 by month end.

Last year 10 games for month.

Year before 12 games.

Year before 12 games

Year before 13 games.

Every year there seems to be some thing that isn't working.

This year, no offense and lack of 5v5 scoring, recently dead PP and weak PK.

Last year, no goaltending early, and lack of Johnny/Mony early on.  Playoffs

Year before, bad goaltending, Brodie out. No playoffs.

Year before, slow start by Johnny.  Playoffs.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

This organization starts slow. Why I have no idea but this is a pattern that goes beyond Gulutzan. I also think it's not valubke to talk about firing an entire staff this early into the season. Lots of teams look clunky and if someone had their way GG would have been fired ten games into last season and last season turned out just fine. 

A coachs resposnvikitu is huge, however I don't agree with their impact on a team like others. I compare a coach to an airline pilot. Most planes now have auto pilot so they are going to get where they need to go irregardless or what the pilot does. The pilot can make the trip a little smoother or rougher but their impact on the result isn't huge. I believe pro sports are players games won and lost by players, not coaches. 

But that goes back to Sutter years too. They started this slow under Sutter and Keenan too when I think they had better teams. 

Yeah we totally disagree..

I think GG is doing the best with what he has. There are a few things I would change, but nothing major. Things like activating the defense more, pinching the defense down on the wall more, take Brouwer off the PP.

To me the biggest issue with this team is the players in the ice, this team isn't built for today's game. The coach can't put an identity on this team because outside of a couple of forwards (Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk) he has a pretty bland bunch of talent, that isn't fast, big or physical. I think this falls more on BT. He needs to bring in the right talent to give this team the identity he and GG want this team to have. 

I 100% disagree with anyone who says that GG needs to show more emotion on the bench, coaches that do that are the coaches that know they are going to get fired soon. Hartley was an emotional guy who would yell and scream and that worked for 1 season before the team started to tune him out.

Basically for me it boils down to this team doesn't have an identity because it wasn't constructed with an identity.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would even suggest that we send down Lazar.  He's not going to get any confidence back in his present situation.  Doubtful he gets claimed, but so what if he did.  He's not going to get 40 games here

Ya agreed.  Hard to see anyone claim him at this point.  Which is actually too bad because I wish someone would take him off our hands.  What a waste of a second round pick.  

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Its time to rid this club of Gully is boardinging the worst coach I have ever seen. Has no boardinging clue how to coach motivate or get the best out of anyone.

Wish we can get a coach who would defend the team in the media once in awhile.  Sometimes you play well and you lose, be it a fluke goal against or ran into a hot goalie, it happens.  Be honest and defend the boys.

The fact that we lose in those situations and effort is not praised... Then sometimes we win and it's not deserved but the coach raves about how well we played.  It's brutal.  It's cancerous reinforcement.

This is the result.  

I'd like to see GG scream at the boys the next time we win and it wasn't really deserved.  And I want to see GG say he's proud of his boys the next time we play a great game but lose.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wish we can get a coach who would defend the team in the media once in awhile.  Sometimes you play well and you lose, be it a fluke goal against or ran into a hot goalie, it happens.  Be honest and defend the boys.

The fact that we lose in those situations and effort is not praised... Then sometimes we win and it's not deserved but the coach raves about how well we played.  It's brutal.  It's cancerous reinforcement.

This is the result.  

I'd like to see GG scream at the boys the next time we win and it wasn't really deserved.  And I want to see GG say he's proud of his boys the next time we play a great game but lose.

He called the Wild game the best game they've played all season, at that point. I think the problem here is when the Flames have lost so far this year they've almost always deserved it. I think the Wild game is the only I can look at and say they deserved a better result. 

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

I get a hoot out of these fans that go on like the Flames must win every game or their life is effected. LOL

October is where as a team you need to get certain things sorted out and to some degree we see GG doing just that all along with changes.

My view of this team is they are playing the game to loose and need to tighten up in most areas. Poor passing, flimsy passes all over the ice are killing any momentum within the game for us. We end up chasing rather than dictating the play and flow of the game. The talent is here outside of a few we could do without but I see these situations as being correctable, we are not that far off.

Archived