Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

19 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I only recall 1 new poster asking for him to be fired.

Most of the critique at that time was deserved.

When we went on that losing streak it appeared to me GG did not know what to do to put a stop to it. GG even admitted in an interview near the end of the losing streak. It was not GG who got them out of the losing streak, it was the superior goaltending of Chad Johnson.

There isn't much a coach can do to end a losing streak. Ending losing streaks is on the players, all the coach can do is try and keep them loose and positive and I thought Gulutzan did a great job of that. It would have been very easy for him to compound the losing by changing his message or panicking but he did neither. His resolve has really paid off. 

I actually think the vast majority of criticism on Gulutzan this season has been unwarranted. I get it, people want a scapegoat when their team struggles and it's easy when there is a new coach but there was way too much blame and criticism heaped in his direction. Glad he is proving people wrong. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cross16 said:

There isn't much a coach can do to end a losing streak. Ending losing streaks is on the players, all the coach can do is try and keep them loose and positive and I thought Gulutzan did a great job of that. It would have been very easy for him to compound the losing by changing his message or panicking but he did neither. His resolve has really paid off. 

I actually think the vast majority of criticism on Gulutzan this season has been unwarranted. I get it, people want a scapegoat when their team struggles and it's easy when there is a new coach but there was way too much blame and criticism heaped in his direction. Glad he is proving people wrong. 

I think it was inevitable that this team was going to have to work its way through a learning curve with new systems. Many fans don't understand or care about this stuff all they expect is wins, goalies brought in are suppose to the fix however they don't realize the team has to do its part. Perseverance is paying off.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I think it was inevitable that this team was going to have to work its way through a learning curve with new systems. Many fans don't understand or care about this stuff all they expect is wins, goalies brought in are suppose to the fix however they don't realize the team has to do its part. Perseverance is paying off.

I admit, I didn't believe they could.  I only saw what they did with Hartley and the carry forward to this season, thinking that was who they are. I was wrong. 

Glad I was. I thought we were a few players away still, which we might be. If Ferland didn't step up we would've been though. Him playing his game on the Mony line changed the balance of the whole team. 

Johnson and Backlund's line gave us the run to get us back in it. But now this team looks completely different. 

Who ever kept kept suggesting Stone for 2-3 weeks sure had a good idea! ? Filling holes on D also helped, even though Bart could be small potatoes, he made our 3rd pair relevant. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I admit, I didn't believe they could.  I only saw what they did with Hartley and the carry forward to this season, thinking that was who they are. I was wrong. 

Glad I was. I thought we were a few players away still, which we might be. If Ferland didn't step up we would've been though. Him playing his game on the Mony line changed the balance of the whole team. 

Johnson and Backlund's line gave us the run to get us back in it. But now this team looks completely different. 

Who ever kept kept suggesting Stone for 2-3 weeks sure had a good idea! ? Filling holes on D also helped, even though Bart could be small potatoes, he made our 3rd pair relevant. 

It's actually funny about Stone.  His number aren't an improvement over Wideman.  Burkie was not really impressed by the player before Tre made the deal.  But Stone does make Brodie make less mistakes or calm down or whatever.  I would actually like to see our #1 PP unit with Stone and Brodie.  Give up the idea of a forward on the point.  The 2nd unit does better because both D roam in or can get the puck on net.  

In all the PP time Brouwer got last night, I don't think he actually contributed a thing.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's actually funny about Stone.  His number aren't an improvement over Wideman.  Burkie was not really impressed by the player before Tre made the deal.  But Stone does make Brodie make less mistakes or calm down or whatever.  I would actually like to see our #1 PP unit with Stone and Brodie.  Give up the idea of a forward on the point.  The 2nd unit does better because both D roam in or can get the puck on net.  

In all the PP time Brouwer got last night, I don't think he actually contributed a thing.

I don't get Brouwer on the PP. from what I've seen so far...

i was at friends' for dinner so I didn't watch. Was it a good game? 

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't get Brouwer on the PP. from what I've seen so far...

i was at friends' for dinner so I didn't watch. Was it a good game? 

I wonder what Brouwer's answer would be if someone asked him if he is satisfied with his season so far. I do like that they now have Bennett with Versteeg and Brouwer. He should be able to learn a few things from these two.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Also on Stone, I was wondering about the fancy stats. It kind of almost makes you think fancy stats do not matter as much as the systems do. Although it seemed to matter with Russell...

41 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wonder what Brouwer's answer would be if someone asked him if he is satisfied with his season so far. I do like that they now have Bennett with Versteeg and Brouwer. He should be able to learn a few things from these two.

He is probably slotted properly on the 3rd line and Bennett still doesn't get his skilled winger, but what he does get is a veteran presence consistently. 

Stone doesn't turn the puck over that is the key difference. problem with Wideman that you couldn't live with was the turnovers because that is what puts Brodie in a tight spot too. Can't expect Brodie to play his game when he has to account for his partner turning the puck over so frequently. I don't think Stones play has been leaps and bounds better than Wideman, but he doesn't turn the puck over and that's why I think Brodie can play his game. He has trust in his partner. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Stone doesn't turn the puck over that is the key difference. problem with Wideman that you couldn't live with was the turnovers because that is what puts Brodie in a tight spot too. Can't expect Brodie to play his game when he has to account for his partner turning the puck over so frequently. I don't think Stones play has been leaps and bounds better than Wideman, but he doesn't turn the puck over and that's why I think Brodie can play his game. He has trust in his partner. 

The other thing Stone does well is physically eliminates player from the play. Brodie knows that Stone will take out the puck carrier allowing Brodie to be more aggressive with puck retrieval.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would add that Stone's hits do not take him out of the play.  He contains players on the boards or disrupts the other player's possession with a timely hit.  You see him go to the front of the net to remove the threat.  You are right about the impact to Brodie.  Engelland does not have the same impact.  Brodie has to worry about getting back or covering in case Engelland is slow getting back.  Engelland plays best in a 3rd pairing.  

I don't mind having Wideman slot in for a game or two, but the season comes down to wins.  If Stone is out for more than one or two games, we are betting on Wideman not being the Wideman that cost us games.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

He is probably slotted properly on the 3rd line and Bennett still doesn't get his skilled winger, but what he does get is a veteran presence consistently. 

Versteeg has some skill now with his experience, good playmaker.

25 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Versteeg has some skill now with his experience, good playmaker.

Th problem I see with Bennett's line is fit and usage.  Versteeg is a good fit, but is on the wrong side to help Bennett.  Brouwer is not a good fit because of the style of hockey he plays.  I just don't see a solution in the present roster.  Brouwer on the 4th line wouldn't go over too well.

Player X-Bennett-Versteeg

Bouma-Stajan-Brouwer

Would need to call up a winger to fix it.  Player X could be Mangiapane or Klimchuk.  Give Bennett a skilled winger on LW.  I think Mangiapane would score a lot of goals in that spot.  He's no creampuff either.  Moving Brouwer to the 4th line would be interesting, as I would think Stajan could spring him on the rush.  In the O-zone, Brouwer would be on the boards, so Stajan would stop taking dumb penaties or losing board battles.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Th problem I see with Bennett's line is fit and usage.  Versteeg is a good fit, but is on the wrong side to help Bennett.  Brouwer is not a good fit because of the style of hockey he plays.  I just don't see a solution in the present roster.  Brouwer on the 4th line wouldn't go over too well.

Bouma-Stajan-Brouwer

Would need to call up a winger to fix it.  Player X could be Mangiapane or Klimchuk.  Give Bennett a skilled winger on LW.  I think Mangiapane would score a lot of goals in that spot.  He's no creampuff either.  Moving Brouwer to the 4th line would be interesting, as I would think Stajan could spring him on the rush.  In the O-zone, Brouwer would be on the boards, so Stajan would stop taking dumb penaties or losing board battles.

I dont think bennetts production is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. If you take our bennetts power play points which is 3, and for example you take draisitals power play points out which is 21, you give bennett 19 points on the season vs draisitals 35 points, granted that also includes on shorthanded assist for bennett but, bennett has been playing 3rd line minutes while draisital is playing 1st line minutes. Yes that does give draisital a .56 ppg vs bennett at .26, draisital has been playing the wing/center with mcdavid(I say center because they seem to alternate between whos taking draws etc). I dont think bennets production is a huge issue this season, and hes learning to play center while the other two guys everyone compares him to are playing the wing in bigger roles.

Bennett 0.26 ppg, TOI 15:09 GP

Draisital 0.56 ppg TOI 18:56 GP

Reinhart 0.38 ppg TOI 17:29 GP

The ppg is at even strength, but both other comparables are getting way more time on the powerplay while one guy is learning center and playing shorthanded minutes. 

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think bennetts production is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. If you take our bennetts power play points which is 3, and for example you take draisitals power play points out which is 21, you give bennett 19 points on the season vs draisitals 35 points, granted that also includes on shorthanded assist for bennett but, bennett has been playing 3rd line minutes while draisital is playing 1st line minutes. Yes that does give draisital a .56 ppg vs bennett at .26, draisital has been playing the wing/center with mcdavid(I say center because they seem to alternate between whos taking draws etc). I dont think bennets production is a huge issue this season, and hes learning to play center while the other two guys everyone compares him to are playing the wing in bigger roles.

Bennett 0.26 ppg, TOI 15:09 GP

Draisital 0.56 ppg TOI 18:56 GP

Reinhart 0.38 ppg TOI 17:29 GP

The ppg is at even strength, but both other comparables are getting way more time on the powerplay while one guy is learning center and playing shorthanded minutes. 

I'm not complaining about Bennett's production.  A 3rd liner is going to get less minutes and PP time than the top 6.  Not a lot of pont comparing him to Draisaitl either.  Different team, different usage, different linemates.  As a shut down center, he is fine.  As a point scoring threat, he is not being utilized.  

There is no real good reason that Brouwer gets PP time over Bennett.  Except for how the top unit is deployed.  Brouwer is as a RW.  Versteeg is used on the point.  You could set it up differently.  Put Bennett on LW and JH on RW.  That gives you two C's out there, plus gives a different look for Johnny on the off-wing.

Since this thread is about Gully, I would say that he needs to keep experimenting with the #1 PP unit.  They have become the 2nd unit in effectiveness.  Maybe they tire out the PK's to allow Backlund's unit to continue the pressure.  I sense that is not the case.  Maybe it's the result of having two really good D-men on the point.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not complaining about Bennett's production.  A 3rd liner is going to get less minutes and PP time than the top 6.  Not a lot of pont comparing him to Draisaitl either.  Different team, different usage, different linemates.  As a shut down center, he is fine.  As a point scoring threat, he is not being utilized.  

There is no real good reason that Brouwer gets PP time over Bennett.  Except for how the top unit is deployed.  Brouwer is as a RW.  Versteeg is used on the point.  You could set it up differently.  Put Bennett on LW and JH on RW.  That gives you two C's out there, plus gives a different look for Johnny on the off-wing.

Since this thread is about Gully, I would say that he needs to keep experimenting with the #1 PP unit.  They have become the 2nd unit in effectiveness.  Maybe they tire out the PK's to allow Backlund's unit to continue the pressure.  I sense that is not the case.  Maybe it's the result of having two really good D-men on the point.

I agree completely. As much as I like brouwer im a little confused about his usage at this point, I dont believe anymore that this is the player he is, hes so ineffective its ridiculous I dont even know what to say, this cant be the player he is.I would agree that bennett should be getting pp time, or ferland. At this point I think the only reason backlunds unit on the pp is not being used as the first unit is because they already get a ton of mins 5 on 5 and shorthanded.

Id like to see a shake up of the first unit though, with bennett in front of the net, I dont think there is a real issue with the rest of the unit. Brouwer struggles when the puck is going behind the net right now, bennett would be better in that spot. I think the reason the first unit is struggling is puck retrieval below the goal line, and the fact there is no threat below goal line either.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The effectiveness of the first pp unit is what I have a problem with too. They're out there for over a minute and then Backlund's unit only gets 45 seconds to work with, when they're the more effective line. 

Flames PP got hot for awhile there and they got a bit complacent..the 1st line unit has been too predictable..Backlund is really strong on the puck and Tkachuk doesn't get enough credit for his playmaking ability. I notice out of our D..Thuggie Dougie has had the most success getting shots on net. Gio has a great shot but we haven't seen him use it as much this year. 

Being a GG thread it is nice to finally not be juggling lines every game, he's done a good job and has started to win me over as the season progresses. Still not crowning him..we'll see where this team is at after year 2 under his tutelage. 

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 2:50 PM, travel_dude said:

Bouma-Stajan-Brouwer

I'm not sure GG would rock the boat that much by moving Brouwer to the 4th line but if he would I wouldn't move Versteeg off LW. I would leave him there and use Lazar on RW with these two, good speed and talent match. Brouwer and Chiasson IMO have become the same player for us and either one is used as a big body for board work and in front of the net. Defensively they both work hard and have been doing a good job. The closer this group gets us to the playoffs the less chance we will see with any call ups.

33 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I'm not sure GG would rock the boat that much by moving Brouwer to the 4th line but if he would I wouldn't move Versteeg off LW. I would leave him there and use Lazar on RW with these two, good speed and talent match. Brouwer and Chiasson IMO have become the same player for us and either one is used as a big body for board work and in front of the net. Defensively they both work hard and have been doing a good job. The closer this group gets us to the playoffs the less chance we will see with any call ups.

Just thinking out loud.  There is probably little chance Lazar gets into the game with the Flames playing the way they have been. He hasn't been good enough this season to warrant taking Chaisson out to play him.  I just have a problem with the way Bennett is deployed.  He plays better with Brouwer off his line.  So does Versteeg.  Chaisson has been good as a 4th liner, but his lack of hockey sense holds him back.  I would not move him up to Bennett's line.

So that leaves us with few options between now and the playoffs.  Sit Chaisson, Brouwer or Bouma.  The first two could allow a LW to be brought into the 3rd line by switching Versteeg to RW.  The last one is a direct replacement of Bouma with a LW. Injuries will likely be the only reason any of that happens.  And that callup would have to be a regular one (one of four) used.

The more subtle change is to replace Brouwer's PP time with Ferland or Bennett.  Since Bennett already gets PK time, Ferland is the more realistic choice.  He is a better possession player than Brouwer, so it helps the 1st unit.  He has quicker hands.  You could also move JH to RW and Ferland to LW on the PP.  

Ferland-Monahan-JH

Brodie-Versteeg

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just thinking out loud.  There is probably little chance Lazar gets into the game with the Flames playing the way they have been. He hasn't been good enough this season to warrant taking Chaisson out to play him.  I just have a problem with the way Bennett is deployed.  He plays better with Brouwer off his line.  So does Versteeg.  Chaisson has been good as a 4th liner, but his lack of hockey sense holds him back.  I would not move him up to Bennett's line.

So that leaves us with few options between now and the playoffs.  Sit Chaisson, Brouwer or Bouma.  The first two could allow a LW to be brought into the 3rd line by switching Versteeg to RW.  The last one is a direct replacement of Bouma with a LW. Injuries will likely be the only reason any of that happens.  And that callup would have to be a regular one (one of four) used.

The more subtle change is to replace Brouwer's PP time with Ferland or Bennett.  Since Bennett already gets PK time, Ferland is the more realistic choice.  He is a better possession player than Brouwer, so it helps the 1st unit.  He has quicker hands.  You could also move JH to RW and Ferland to LW on the PP.  

Ferland-Monahan-JH

Brodie-Versteeg

I agree with this.

but just a thought, maybe GG isn't putting Ferland on the PP to manage Ferland's perception of playing on the top line? Ferland seems to be a guy who needs to simplify and GG could be taking it one step at a time. 

I prefer the idea of Bennett or Ferland. Ferland can pass too. But we need as much offensive players as possible there. 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ferland-Monahan-JH

Brodie-Versteeg

GG would be more receptive to change up the PP than change much with these lines. I wouldn't mind seeing him rest either Stajan or Chiasson and slot Lazar into some game action, maybe as they nail down a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

GG would be more receptive to change up the PP than change much with these lines. I wouldn't mind seeing him rest either Stajan or Chiasson and slot Lazar into some game action, maybe as they nail down a playoff spot.

He has practiced Ferland there, but hasn't really converted to him yet.  

As far as resting anyone, I don't see the playoff push as ever being done.  Our next goal is to get home ice in the playoffs (2nd in Pacific).  After that it's 1st in the Pacific.  They may pull JH for a game against a spolier team or some guys with minor maladies, but other than that they won't be coasting.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He has practiced Ferland there, but hasn't really converted to him yet.  

As far as resting anyone, I don't see the playoff push as ever being done.  Our next goal is to get home ice in the playoffs (2nd in Pacific).  After that it's 1st in the Pacific.  They may pull JH for a game against a spolier team or some guys with minor maladies, but other than that they won't be coasting.

I don't see resting either Stajan  or Chiasson as jeopardizing   our playoff chances. If anything it prepares another player in case of an injury.

Archived