Whats wrong with Canadian hockey?

KidKappa

As of writing this the bottom 4 teams in the league are from Canadian cities, and the rest of them aren't faring well.  What do you think is to blame for this?

GM's knowing attendance will be there regardless of team 

Pressure from fans too much on the players, gm's, coaches.  

Fans acceptance of "tanking" for  a savior?

Weather/Small town feel/Media attention too unattractive to UFAs

Its just cyclical and we are in a down cycle  

I personally think these are the reasons and in that order that Canadian teams are doing so poorly right now.  

What do you guys/gals think any other reasons?  

Canadian rinks are filled to the rafters, which tells me hockey is doing just fine in Canada.  Everything goes in cycles, we just happen to be at the bottom of one.  You would have to think that the Flames future looks better today than it did yesterday.  Edmonton and Toronto have nowhere to go but up.  Montreal is……well Montreal.  Ottawa looks to be a good young team.  Winnipeg could do wonders in the offseason.  Not sure what’s going on in Vancouver, they have the Sedins for two more years but could win Matthews.  Go Dallas Go!

As of writing this the bottom 4 teams in the league are from Canadian cities, and the rest of them aren't faring well.  What do you think is to blame for this?

GM's knowing attendance will be there regardless of team 

Maybe in Edmonton but if that was true why would they change out most Canadian GM's most recently?

Pressure from fans too much on the players, gm's, coaches.

What type of pressure is this? I call it support. Who wouldn't want 30k fans cheering them on?

Fans acceptance of "tanking" for  a savior?

Have you ever heard BB talk on this subject?

Weather/Small town feel/Media attention too unattractive to UFAs

Snow and cold is hockey weather. I don't see how the media attention could keep anyone from signing here. We don't have media attention in comparison to NY or LA or Montreal or TO.

Its just cyclical and we are in a down cycle  

Maybe

I personally think these are the reasons and in that order that Canadian teams are doing so poorly right now.  

What do you guys/gals think any other reasons?  

How about Goaltending? If you look at the teams that are doing better they have/had good goaltending. Montreal until Price went down, Ottawa even though they are scrambling for a playoff spot.  Teams like Flames and Oilers have had substandard goaltending.

The title is a bit of a misnomer. You are talking about Canadian based teams rather than the state of Canadian hockey.

If you look at the rosters of the Canadian based teams they seem to rely on imports to a large degree while successful teams based in the US have largely Canadian born cores.

So Canadian hockey is fine.

The title is a bit of a misnomer. You are talking about Canadian based teams rather than the state of Canadian hockey.

If you look at the rosters of the Canadian based teams they seem to rely on imports to a large degree while successful teams based in the US have largely Canadian born cores.

So Canadian hockey is fine.

I couldn't agree with this statement more FF!

I get into arguments all the time with people about this, especially cheering for a Canadian team. I cant stand the whole American or Canadian team thing in the NHL. Hockey is Canada and its dominated by Canadian players who fill most of the US team rosters.

Anyone who wants to know how hockey Canada is doing can just take a look at the Olympics.

Topic is definetly misleading. Canadian Hockey teams in Canada is much different than Canadian Hockey.

for the record I don't think there is an underlying theme its just ebs and flows. LIke Peeps said, all but 2 made the playoffs last year. 

I think that the world juniors is a better barometer.

Love.

Why would a trounament that isn't truly best on best be better than one that is best on best? Why should one age cateogry define everything? Also, keep in mind that Canada has won the Ivan Hlinka tournmanet for about 4 or 5 years in a row too.

• 4 weeks later...

Edmonton is just Edmonton.

Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary are all either entering or midway through a rebuilding phase.

Winnipeg....they're a Relatively new franchise, we can forgive them.  Maybe.

What's up, Ottawa and Montreal?

What's your excuse?

Edmonton is just Edmonton.

Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary are all either entering or midway through a rebuilding phase.

Winnipeg....they're a Relatively new franchise, we can forgive them. Maybe.

What's up, Ottawa and Montreal?

What's your excuse?

Winnipeg inherited a poorly run Atlanta franchise.

Archived