Ya, for me, again, it's about Gio's age and the timing of the Flames's Cup window which is in 2 to 4 years.  I understand "windows" can be somewhat arbitrary and depends on many factors but generally speaking, the Flames are not a serious Cup contender next season.  It will most likely be the season after that or beyond.

So hanging onto Giordano past his "best before" date doesn't make sense IF there is a deal in place for the Flames to get a couple blue chip guys in the 20 to 27 year old bracket.  If there's no deal to be had, then don't trade him for the sake of trading him.  I think Giordano is a great captain because he came into the NHL the hard way.  He sets a great example for the rest of the team.

Giordano has led this team to the 4th worst record in the NHL currently.  Such a great leader right?  Can we be 4th worse without Giordano?  I think so.  New leaders emerge all the time.  In fact, Giordano was a leader that emerged out of the Flames trading away leaders such as Iginla, Conroy, Regehr, etc.

Yes, I'm not saying we trading Giordano as soon as we can but if a deal comes to us where we get a Hamonic + Strome, or something like that, I think we go for it.  For all we know, maybe Hamonic has great leadership skills and will be our future captain.

When do you see Giordano's "BBD" being ? as it come and gone or is it next year ? Last season he was ontrack for Norris considerations. This year he is matching last year's output. Right now he is the glue for this group and you want to subtract this on a hope something better comes out of Hamonic and Strome. It could work but such a move could also set your rebuild back , either way it is a gamble. Giordano provides us the qualities you need on a team while all these young players gain their own maturity. All one has to do is look north to Edmonton to see what a leaderless group of talent amounts to and the length of time(if ever) it takes to develop a winning culture. Is this the scenario you want for Calgary ? I know I don't.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When do you see Giordano's "BBD" being ? as it come and gone or is it next year ? Last season he was ontrack for Norris considerations. This year he is matching last year's output. Right now he is the glue for this group and you want to subtract this on a hope something better comes out of Hamonic and Strome. It could work but such a move could also set your rebuild back , either way it is a gamble. Giordano provides us the qualities you need on a team while all these young players gain their own maturity. All one has to do is look north to Edmonton to see what a leaderless group of talent amounts to and the length of time(if ever) it takes to develop a winning culture. Is this the scenario you want for Calgary ? I know I don't.

I agree. Leave Gio alone for now. Let's actually let the guy even show some signs of regression before we start trading him for the next young prospect. Leadership is a skill in itself, Gio shows and proves day in, day out, let's not forget he's also one of top goal scorers this year. Not much he doesn't do for this team

So if Chi is to be our model and has 3 forwards and 2 D plus a better than avg Goaltender as their core why are a lot of posters here on our boards insisting that we have 4 top D?  Isn't our 3  top D enough to find fillers for the other spots?

We have 3 D - Gio, Brodie and Hamilton considered core on D(Hamilton still being groomed)

We have 3 Forwards - JH and Bennett & Monahan(centers) as core

We have no goaltenders who have stepped up to the 60 game/season  starters role yet, that has even come close to what a starter should bring.

Maybe they are thinking with a top 4 D and you can get away with avg goaltending but we don't have any goaltenders who have stepped up. Plus we overestimated our D this season by a large margin. We were supposed to have among the best D in the league when we got Hamilton.

DD there has been a lot of good players that have gone through CHI as Bowman created the team he has now within this cap generation. DET did much of the same in recognizing the talent they had within a special group of players.

Calgary is just starting to gather such a core however I think we all agree we need that reliable Goalie soon in order to advance this core as it matures. Once you have a solid performing core you can count on complimentary pieces can and will come and go. Personally I think we are fortunate to have Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton to anchor our defense. If you can get a Hamonic on a good contract it should make the entire team better and not be a motivation to scrimp on an average goaltender. I want Hamilton to be paired up with another defenseman that brings out the best in him, not hold him back.

I think BT is a good GM and a good shopper when I hear he is after Murray as a goaltender from PIT, he has an eye for quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Current Defense Prospects

in order of age (draft round in brackets):

Morrison (FA) - 24

Wotherspoon (2nd) - 23

Culkin (5th) - 22

Gilmour (7th) - 22

Kulak (4th) - 22

Kanzig (3rd) - 21

Sieloff (2nd) - 21

Rafikov (7th) - 20

Andersson (2nd) - 19

Hickey (3rd) - 19

Mattsson (6th) - 19

Bruce (7th) - 18

Kylington (2nd) - 18

There is still time for many of them to develop into NHL players.

That said, the odds of a prospect ever playing in 50+ NHL games are:

2nd = 45%

3rd = 30%

4th = 21%

5th = 18%

6th = 16%

7th = 15%

The above odds are based on the years 2000 - 2009.

http://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

If that holds true, the Flames can probably count on 3 or 4 of these 13 defense-men playing in the NHL for 50+ games.

Current Defense Prospects

in order of age (draft round in brackets):

Morrison (FA) - 24

Wotherspoon (2nd) - 23

Culkin (5th) - 22

Gilmour (7th) - 22

Kulak (4th) - 22

Kanzig (3rd) - 21

Sieloff (2nd) - 21

Rafikov (7th) - 20

Andersson (2nd) - 19

Hickey (3rd) - 19

Mattsson (6th) - 19

Bruce (7th) - 18

Kylington (2nd) - 18

There is still time for many of them to develop into NHL players.

That said, the odds of a prospect ever playing in 50+ NHL games are:

2nd = 45%

3rd = 30%

4th = 21%

5th = 18%

6th = 16%

7th = 15%

The above odds are based on the years 2000 - 2009.

http://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

If that holds true, the Flames can probably count on 3 or 4 of these 13 defense-men playing in the NHL for 50+ games.

Good revealing post and for the most part it will play out like this. The positive is there is some very good talent in this pipeline.

• 1 month later...

Good revealing post and for the most part it will play out like this. The positive is there is some very good talent in this pipeline.

I had bigger hopes for Morrison being almost ready for the leap but his play didn't really tell us this. At 24 soon to be 25 does he drop out of the plans now ? Thoughts.

I had bigger hopes for Morrison being almost ready for the leap but his play didn't really tell us this. At 24 soon to be 25 does he drop out of the plans now ? Thoughts.

I was with you. He was one of my sleeper picks. But he hasn't played well. I don't have him very high on the depth chart and I wouldn't be surprise to see the Flames move on.

Which is a bummer... I saw him play last year, and he was great!

Love.

I know eh. He was highly thought of as a good leader and good hockey player. My question is how smart of a hockey player is he and is he strong defensively. We don't necessarily need more defensemen to put the puck in the net. If BH was to put Brodie with Hamilton would Morrison be stable enough to play with Giordano ?

I was with you. He was one of my sleeper picks. But he hasn't played well. I don't have him very high on the depth chart and I wouldn't be surprise to see the Flames move on.

He's had one year in the AHL.  Big transition from the NCAA, especially for a D-man.  I not saying he will ever be a NHL player, but you have to see if he progresses next season before cutting bait.  He's also doing about as well as Kulak, Kylington and Seiloff with a better +/-.

Saying that, he has to jump some of the guys already showing NHL potential.  Ollas-Mattsson is a big wild card for me.  He's still only 19 but looked strong in the WJC prior to his injury.  Could he be that shutdown guy we are lacking?  Andersson is intriguing too.  BT said he looked NHL ready last year, but needed another year to work on his game.  Is there even any room this year for him?  Next year (2017/18), 3 players come off the roster.  Could he take one of them?

Too early to give up on Morrison. I get the itch because you'd think at 24 he should be further ahead but he is just still quite raw. I still see upside there so I think the flames will give him next year to see what he can do. However I think the likihood he plays in the NHL is small. Raw talent level but avg at best hockey sense and tough ti make it with sub par hockey sense.

He's had one year in the AHL.  Big transition from the NCAA, especially for a D-man.  I not saying he will ever be a NHL player, but you have to see if he progresses next season before cutting bait.  He's also doing about as well as Kulak, Kylington and Seiloff with a better +/-.

Saying that, he has to jump some of the guys already showing NHL potential.  Ollas-Mattsson is a big wild card for me.  He's still only 19 but looked strong in the WJC prior to his injury.  Could he be that shutdown guy we are lacking?  Andersson is intriguing too.  BT said he looked NHL ready last year, but needed another year to work on his game.  Is there even any room this year for him?  Next year (2017/18), 3 players come off the roster.  Could he take one of them?

I guess that is what I am saying, at 25 he may have the maturity to step in and play. Is there any more to his game that e is going to gain by staying in the AHL.

Archived