Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

13 hours ago, rickross said:

We’ve signed a rash of prospects of late, a lot of 4th rounders. I good sign I would think, Ruzicka could be one to keep an eye on in the coming years. It’s definitely time to restock though, not a lot of picks again this year 

If you pick wiely, you can get an impact player once per draft year.

Lucky if you get two.

Many of our picks are longer term, so they will be some time before we know what they are.

Look at Mangiapane.

High scoring, but went very late.

A couple of year in the AHL, and we may finally have something other than a 4th liner. 

Phillips is another guy to keep an eye on.

Zav could actually make the NHL out of junior, but they may not really have room unless they trade a Bennett or Neal or Janko.

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎22 at 9:51 AM, rickross said:

We’ve signed a rash of prospects of late, a lot of 4th rounders. I good sign I would think, Ruzicka could be one to keep an eye on in the coming years. It’s definitely time to restock though, not a lot of picks again this year 

At first glance we have a lot of needs in the minors coming into next season. This is why if I were BT I wouldn't be so concerned about trading the players no longer desired for draft picks only. Depending on the changes being contemplated for the 2019-20 team I would strongly consider some available UFAs to restructure some of our lines and pairings. As an example if we could get Mrazek G, Dzingel LW, Connelly RW and Duchene C from UFA BT could use Brodie, Stone, Frolik, Neal, Jankowski, Mangiapane and Czarnick to garner as many picks as possible for this draft, maybe even some for the next year draft.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

At first glance we have a lot of needs in the minors coming into next season. This is why if I were BT I wouldn't be so concerned about trading the players no longer desired for draft picks only. Depending on the changes being contemplated for the 2019-20 team I would strongly consider some available UFAs to restructure some of our lines and pairings. As an example if we could get Mrazek G, Dzingel LW, Connelly RW and Duchene C from UFA BT could use Brodie, Stone, Frolik, Neal, Jankowski, Mangiapane and Czarnick to garner as many picks as possible for this draft, maybe even some for the next year draft.

I agree, I think we can afford to trade Brodie and Stone for picks along with one of Neal and Frolik, and fill in the gaps either internally (ie. Valimaki) or with UFA.  Plenty of quality UFAs to choose from this year, so hopefully prices won't be too crazy.

25 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I agree, I think we can afford to trade Brodie and Stone for picks along with one of Neal and Frolik, and fill in the gaps either internally (ie. Valimaki) or with UFA.  Plenty of quality UFAs to choose from this year, so hopefully prices won't be too crazy.

If possible I would move both Neal and Frolik, why not if there are deals to be had ? If we can redeploy those funds into younger, faster talent I would do it now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-04-09 at 5:58 PM, JTech780 said:

After looking at some draft rankings and seeing Raphael Lavoie being in our range. I really hope we hold onto our pick and that he available. 

Lavoie is 6'4", he can skate, has good hands, he can play all 3 forward positions, he shoots right and has a good shot.

I am guessing that after the playoffs Lavoie has been having there is no chance he will be available at 26. 18 goals and 28 points in 18 games to lead all players in playoff scoring.

Hopefully he falls to us somehow.

Another guy that could end up being available at 26th is Bobby Brink. Similar stature to Gaudreau and put up better numbers in the USHL in his draft year than Gaudreau. Not saying he is going to be Gaudreau, but he is quick and skilled. He also played with Martin Pospisil this season.

He is a RHS RW.

So the Flames signed a guy out of Sweden:

Hi4oB4a7?format=jpg&name=600x314

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #FlamesFlamesPlayoffs2019.png have signed defenceman Carl-Johan Lerby to an entry-level deal.

A few words about the player:

Carl-Johan Lerby, Malmö Redhawks

A smooth-skating 21-year-old defenseman with a ton of upside. Lerby has experienced somewhat of a breakthrough this season after getting last year derailed by injuries after being involved in a car accident, among other things.

Lerby, who has 16 points (3+13) in 37 games, is still under development and would probably benefit from another season in Sweden. But an NHL team would be wise taking a flyer on this kid, loan him to Malmö for another season and see him blossom next year. There are a lot of similarities to Lawrence Pilut, who looks like he’s about to become a regular with the Buffalo Sabres after being SHL defenseman of the year 2018.

“I’m not the biggest guy”, the 5’11 defenseman told me last week. “But these days, there are a lot of smaller players that dominate in the NHL. I’m still ways away, but I hope to play in the NHL one day.”

NOTE - he will not be in NA until the 20/21 season, and will be exempt fo the expansion draft. 

JTECH posted this in Realistic Trades etc etc.

Just my opinion, in case anyone agrees.

A lot of these threads are saying the same thing and are simply becoming massive pages long.

Seems like 8 different, yet the same, subject matters are in half of the threads.

Is it time for a Flames forum board clean up? Just wondering everyone's opinion.

Out with the old, in with the new?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So the Flames signed a guy out of Sweden:

Hi4oB4a7?format=jpg&name=600x314

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #FlamesFlamesPlayoffs2019.png have signed defenceman Carl-Johan Lerby to an entry-level deal.

A few words about the player:

Carl-Johan Lerby, Malmö Redhawks

A smooth-skating 21-year-old defenseman with a ton of upside. Lerby has experienced somewhat of a breakthrough this season after getting last year derailed by injuries after being involved in a car accident, among other things.

Lerby, who has 16 points (3+13) in 37 games, is still under development and would probably benefit from another season in Sweden. But an NHL team would be wise taking a flyer on this kid, loan him to Malmö for another season and see him blossom next year. There are a lot of similarities to Lawrence Pilut, who looks like he’s about to become a regular with the Buffalo Sabres after being SHL defenseman of the year 2018.

“I’m not the biggest guy”, the 5’11 defenseman told me last week. “But these days, there are a lot of smaller players that dominate in the NHL. I’m still ways away, but I hope to play in the NHL one day.”

NOTE - he will not be in NA until the 20/21 season, and will be exempt fo the expansion draft. 

Going back to the Swedish well of d men....guess it’s worked out well so far with Rasmus,Kylington, Fantenberg. Good to see the Flames continue to stay active!

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A lot of these threads are saying the same thing and are simply becoming massive pages long.

Seems like 8 different, yet the same, subject matters are in half of the threads.

Is it time for a Flames forum board clean up? Just wondering everyone's opinion.

Picky picky... :) 

I look before I post, so thought this was not yet mentioned.

Honestly, this is as much about drafting/development as anything else.

As far as the cleanup?

MODS try to reel in threads but then again, we do go off a bit at times.

I agree we see the same thing in multiple threads, sometimes by the same poster.

We shall try to reel it in, but there is so few of us left.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Picky picky... :) 

I look before I post, so thought this was not yet mentioned.

Honestly, this is as much about drafting/development as anything else.

As far as the cleanup?

MODS try to reel in threads but then again, we do go off a bit at times.

I agree we see the same thing in multiple threads, sometimes by the same poster.

We shall try to reel it in, but there is so few of us left.

I would consolidate all of the off season type threads into 1 general off season thread.

In hindsight I should have posted Lerby's signing here as a opposed to the trade thread. My bad.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I started a new thread

13 hours ago, rickross said:

Going back to the Swedish well of d men....guess it’s worked out well so far with Rasmus,Kylington, Fantenberg. Good to see the Flames continue to stay active!

We also are starting to have a lot of holes to fill in both the AHL and ECHL so good to see management being active.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, MAC331 said:

I agree with all of this cept I'd like to hold onto Mangiapane.. There are a few minor leaguers I'd swap ahead of him.. Lazar.. And Ruzicka.. Lazar I think will continue to be a bust here and Yea Ruzicka had a decent year after he was traded but the personality issues that comes packaged with him might be too much to ever make the big step on a permanent basis

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 7:03 PM, Horsman1 said:

I agree with all of this cept I'd like to hold onto Mangiapane.. There are a few minor leaguers I'd swap ahead of him.. Lazar.. And Ruzicka.. Lazar I think will continue to be a bust here and Yea Ruzicka had a decent year after he was traded but the personality issues that comes packaged with him might be too much to ever make the big step on a permanent basis

I would only use Mangiapane for a deal such as a part for Kapanen.

• Like 1

It's good to see a few more Russians coming into the system. At one point I think there was only one or two, now getting some of these prospects used to a N. American system may be a little less stressful for them.  At that age I can't even imagine going off to  a new country, not really knowing the culture and language, and not having anyone your age to fluently speak to.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It's good to see a few more Russians coming into the system. At one point I think there was only one or two, now getting some of these prospects used to a N. American system may be a little less stressful for them.  At that age I can't even imagine going off to  a new country, not really knowing the culture and language, and not having anyone your age to fluently speak to.

from experience.. I don't think the culture shock these days would be near what it was when the first wave of Europeans came here in the late seventies.. I left my home in the maritimes in 1976 and moved 3000 miles west to Calgary.. Not knowing a soul.. no relatives.. and yes.. definitely a very very different culture. and basically a new language.. I did just fine

Wouldn't mind seeing Calgary take a run at him, he can flat out fly. 

Joakim Nygard can also fly, and Friedman had us and Ottawa as the leaders to land him.

The other player we have been linked to is Anton Burdasov. He is 28 years old, 6'2" 234lbs, LHS RW. He had 19 goals, 31 points in 50 games in the KHL. He lead the KHL with 114PIM's.

38 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Calgary take a run at him, he can flat out fly. 

Joakim Nygard can also fly, and Friedman had us and Ottawa as the leaders to land him.

The other player we have been linked to is Anton Burdasov. He is 28 years old, 6'2" 234lbs, LHS RW. He had 19 goals, 31 points in 50 games in the KHL. He lead the KHL with 114PIM's.

What would be nice is if any of these guys get a chanve to show at the NHL level.

We signed two guys last; one played in the AHL until they released him whil the other was injured.

Rittich is probably one of the few that ever was given a shot.

I won;t bother with the list, since there was a lot of lesser talent.

The point is that it's hard to continue to sign guys if the previous ones never get a crack.

On the other hand, we contnue to trot out players that are basically replacement level who proceed to do little.

I would like to actually sign a player, get him adjusted to the ice and let his talent work its way out.

But anyway, I would like to see them sign Nygard.

While there have been a number of unsigned FA's and international players picked up by various teams, including the Flames, there are more that never panned out than ever did. Being given chances isn't necessarily the problem. Some players simply do better in the European leagues and on international ice where there is more space. Some leagues are based more on skill and less on hitting etc. There could be a difference in D and goalie skill in other leagues that shows inflated offensive stats. I don't really know what the full reasons are, but some players simply do better elsewhere.

Calgary has signed a few high profile internationals in recent times, and they didn't really work out even when given full opportunity for success. Examples like Ramo (2013 - 2016, yes we traded for his rights but he had never played NHL prior to playing for the Flames), Cervenka was highly touted and never panned out, even with playing top 6.

On the other hand, Giordano was undrafted and turned out very well.

I guess we will see if any of these guys turn out.

• Like 1