Who Would You Re-sign for 2016/2017?

420since1974

Many players will be UFAs and RFAs at the end of this season.

Who would you resign and for how much?

Please try to be realistic with the current market and what the players would accept.

CALGARY FLAMES - $2,125,434.00 Cap Space (Cap Ceiling = $71.4M)
50 players under contract as of today.

Main Points (IMO)
- Gaudreau & Monahan will receive hefty raises unless Treliving pulls some "bridge contract magic" ala Brodie.
- Need to find, sign, & pay for a #1 NHL goalie. 

UFAs

Hiller = $4.5M
Hudler = $4M
Jones = $4M
Ramo = $3.8M
Russell = $2.6M

Total = $18.9M

RFAs

Colborne = $1.275M
Gaudreau = $925k Salary, $925k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.9425M
Granlund = $792.5k Salary, $132.5k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M
Jooris = $975k
Monahan = 925k Salary, $850k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.8675M

Total = $7.0775M

STOCKTON HEAT (NHL salaries)

UFAs

Nakladal = $817.5k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $910k

Total = $910k

RFAs

Agostino = $735k
Arnold = $824.25k
Elson = $605k
Grant = $700k
Hamilton = $687.5k
Orito = $600k
Poulin = $650k
Shore = $850.5k
Van Brabant = $874.125k
Wotherspoon = $925k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M

Total = $6.526376M

I wouldn't re-sign any of the UFAs. The goalies I let walk unless someone takes one for anything.

I would hope to get a 2nd rounder for Hudler and if we are in a playoff spot, I would keep Jones and let him sign elsewhere.

Gaudreau hopefully signs for 5.5M X 4years. He needs to grow his game a bit and is still someone other teams can shut down.

The same goes for Monahan.

Sell the team concept. We need to get everyone under the cap.

The only RFA I might not sign is VanBrabant? Possibly not Shore.

I wouldn't re-sign any of the UFAs. The goalies I let walk unless someone takes one for anything.

I would hope to get a 2nd rounder for Hudler and if we are in a playoff spot, I would keep Jones and let him sign elsewhere.

Gaudreau hopefully signs for 5.5M X 4years. He needs to grow his game a bit and is still someone other teams can shut down.

The same goes for Monahan.

Sell the team concept. We need to get everyone under the cap.

The only RFA I might not sign is VanBrabant? Possibly not Shore.

Are you leaving off Nakladal too?

Johnny is the scoring leader for the team, so I don't think he needs to grow his game.  I don't see the reasoning for signing him to a short-term deal.  Wait til he is a superstar and try to sign him for $8m?

I don't sign any free agents. Perhaps Nakladal if he gets some NHL time and looks good.

As for the RFA I sign all of them except maybe some of the depth guys like Van Bra Bant and Poulin. All of the RFA deals pretty much write themselves with three exceptions.

Monahan and Gaudreau are going to cost you.

For Gaudreau I sign him to as much term as I can. The following contract will be a massive one so buy as much time as you can until then. Don't mess around with a bridge. Buy a window today. 6x8 would be great but I think 6x5 is the most likely.

Monahan you have to be careful with. He is struggling the season. I think he figures it out and then your talking about the same term as Gaudreau. But if he struggles all season I look at something a little less. Maybe 5x4 or something like that.

Ortio is the last interesting contract. If he gets into the NHL for a bunch of games then we get a clearer picture. But otherwise I am not sure we can even sign him. He probably goes overseas until he is a free agent.

Out side of GIllies we have no goalies that are worth keeping. With the RFA if we can trade them great if not best of luck.  

UFAs

Hiller = Trade value 0

Hudler = Trade Value, depending, 1st or 2nd and prospect

Jones = Trade Value 2nd

Ramo = Trade Value 0

Russell = Trade value 2nd/3rd

Related or not to the topic I would look at options for moving Gio and Wideman as well. Was never a fan of either contract, Gio moving out $11 million would free up a lot of cap space.

RFAs

Colborne = Resign 1.3 Million for 3 years

Gaudreau = Resign 5 year @ 6.5 million

Granlund = Unknown

Jooris = $975k trade value 4th/5th

Monahan = Resign 5 year@ 5 Million

UFAs

Nakladal = Resign

RFAs

Agostino =

Arnold =

Elson =

Grant =

Hamilton =

Orito = Trade or let walk

Poulin = Trade or let walk

Shore = Trade or let walk

Van Brabant = Trade or let walk

Wotherspoon = Trade or let walk

The only UFA I have some interest in is David Jones. If he keeps playing the way he has I would want to discuss contract with him. If you can get him on a 2 year deal for 2.5 mill or less I would explore that. Flames dont' have great depth on the RW in Stockton and with the way Poirier has started the season I'm not so sure I would want to pencil him in there, nor do I like the idea of having to go to the trade and FA market to try and find 2 top 9 RWs. I won't go more than 2 years though so if he wants term i'm out. 

I use to be big proponents of locking up Gio and Johnny but I am now going to wait on both. Monahan I dont' think has playe dnearly as poorly as alot of people make it out to be but I do agree he hasn't been great and my concern with Johnny is the growing discrepency in his home and away stats. 

Home = 15 points in 11 Games

Away = 7 Points in 14 games. Which includes the 3 points in 1 game against the Canucks. 

It's going to sound very nit picky and borderline unfair but I am quite concerend with Gaudreau on the road. Once opposing coaches can get the matchups they want, he is really losing his effectiveness and becuase of his size he can't exactly fight through it. Doesn't mean I don't like Johnny, it jsut makes me question what's the top end that he can be. Can he actually be a legit top line superstar, or will he just be a very good top 6 player and that influences the amount of $ and term you want to commit. It may be smarter to do something in the 5 mil range on a 4 year deal (Can't go 5 becuase it would make him a UFA). 

The only UFA I have some interest in is David Jones. If he keeps playing the way he has I would want to discuss contract with him. If you can get him on a 2 year deal for 2.5 mill or less I would explore that. Flames dont' have great depth on the RW in Stockton and with the way Poirier has started the season I'm not so sure I would want to pencil him in there, nor do I like the idea of having to go to the trade and FA market to try and find 2 top 9 RWs. I won't go more than 2 years though so if he wants term i'm out. 

I use to be big proponents of locking up Gio and Johnny but I am now going to wait on both. Monahan I dont' think has playe dnearly as poorly as alot of people make it out to be but I do agree he hasn't been great and my concern with Johnny is the growing discrepency in his home and away stats. 

Away = 7 Points in 14 games. Which includes the 3 points in 1 game against the Canucks. 

It's going to sound very nit picky and borderline unfair but I am quite concerend with Gaudreau on the road. Once opposing coaches can get the matchups they want, he is really losing his effectiveness and becuase of his size he can't exactly fight through it. Doesn't mean I don't like Johnny, it jsut makes me question what's the top end that he can be. Can he actually be a legit top line superstar, or will he just be a very good top 6 player and that influences the amount of $ and term you want to commit. It may be smarter to do something in the 5 mil range on a 4 year deal (Can't go 5 becuase it would make him a UFA). 

With Johnny, there is always a learning curve.  March of last year is a good comparable, as teams knew what he was at that point.

And he adjusted.  This year, it's as much the line as it is shutting down Johnny.  The coach has to react to this and throw Johnny out there with different linemates and change on the fly.  Monahan has been ineffective so far, so the teams focus more on Johnny.

Putting him out there with Bennett and Frolik would take the spotlight off Johnny.

Johnny is always going to make his line better.  If he is the biggest threat there, teams will focus on him.  CHI is an example of a that. Panarin escapes notice when Kane is flying, and vice-versa.  Johnny is effective if Monahan or Hudler are flying.  Since they are struggling, Johnny should play with other linemates.  Bennett for one.

With Johnny, there is always a learning curve.  March of last year is a good comparable, as teams knew what he was at that point.

And he adjusted.  This year, it's as much the line as it is shutting down Johnny.  The coach has to react to this and throw Johnny out there with different linemates and change on the fly.  Monahan has been ineffective so far, so the teams focus more on Johnny.

Putting him out there with Bennett and Frolik would take the spotlight off Johnny.

Johnny is always going to make his line better.  If he is the biggest threat there, teams will focus on him.  CHI is an example of a that. Panarin escapes notice when Kane is flying, and vice-versa.  Johnny is effective if Monahan or Hudler are flying.  Since they are struggling, Johnny should play with other linemates.  Bennett for one.

I agree JG drives the play the issue I see this year is he has no one around him to assist in carrying the play. I don't know how many games he goes flying through center ice to the opposition blue line and his line mates can't skate to his level. On the road he is easy to defend he is the only threat when he gets the puck. Find a guy that can create the same type of plays and this kids ceiling is unlimited. Think Sequin and Benn.

I agree JG drives the play the issue I see this year is he has no one around him to assist in carrying the play. I don't know how many games he goes flying through center ice to the opposition blue line and his line mates can't skate to his level. On the road he is easy to defend he is the only threat when he gets the puck. Find a guy that can create the same type of plays and this kids ceiling is unlimited. Think Sequin and Benn.

With Kane or Toews, he would be magic.  Different player types, but same effect.  That is why I suggest that Bennet needs to be the new thing.  Frolik may not be the right guy, but he has a wicked hockey sense and finishes.  A deft pass from Johnny putting Frolik in the open and he is money.  Bennett driving the net, and Johnny can sneak in and pot a rebound.  Or a perfect pass from Johnny and Sam will finish.

UFA:

Jiri Hudler: Maybe bring you look at bringing him back if he would take 2-3 years at $4-4.5m, otherwise trade him at the deadline, we can probably get a 2nd round pick for him this point, last year we maybe could have gotten a 1st, but not now.

David Jones: I haven't had an issue with Jones since he arrived in Calgary and I think he is playing just as well this year as he had in previous years. I wouldn't mind the idea of bring him back at 2 years $2.5m, but we also need to get more picks and prospects in the pool so I would trade him. I think a 3rd round pick is what we can expect back for him.

Kris Russell: He is expendable. Defensemen usually get more in return at the deadline so I think we can get a 2nd round pick for him.

Jonas Hiller: Based on current play and salary he isn't tradeabe at this point. There is no point in bringing him back.

Karri Ramo: Same as Hiller.

The only RFA's I don't bring back are Van Brabant and Poulin for sure. If Nakladal doesn't make the jump and at least show he can play in the NHL, then I cut him loose too, though if he doesn't get a crack at the NHL this year he will probably head back overseas.

Who would you resign and for how much?

Please try to be realistic with the current market and what the players would accept.

Main Points (IMO)
- Gaudreau & Monahan will receive hefty raises unless Treliving pulls some "bridge contract magic" ala Brodie.
- Need to find, sign, & pay for a #1 NHL goalie. 

UFAs

Hiller = $4.5M
Hudler = $4M
Jones = $4M
Ramo = $3.8M
Russell = $2.6M

Total = $18.9M

RFAs

Colborne = $1.275M
Gaudreau = $925k Salary, $925k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.9425M
Granlund = $792.5k Salary, $132.5k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M
Jooris = $975k
Monahan = 925k Salary, $850k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.8675M

Total = $7.0775M

UFAs

Nakladal = $817.5k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $910k

Total = $910k

RFAs

Agostino = $735k
Arnold = $824.25k
Elson = $605k
Grant = $700k
Hamilton = $687.5k
Orito = $600k
Poulin = $650k
Shore = $850.5k
Van Brabant = $874.125k
Wotherspoon = $925k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M

Total = $6.526376M

UFA I wouldn't look to have any of them remaining past this year. Put them in trades, get picks at the TDL or they walk.

RFA I think all will be offered contracts if still here and not gone in trades.

Nakladal I would keep and the rest of the minor league players likely get offered deals.

Teams are figuring out who drives the offense in Calgary and it's Gaudreau. Bennett can be that guy as well, but he isn't there yet. Monahan is a finisher but doesn't really generate or drive the offense, he rely's on others to get him the puck or to get the puck into scoring areas. So if you take away Gaudreau's time and space, you are really taking away Calgary's ability to generate offense.

Teams are figuring out who drives the offense in Calgary and it's Gaudreau. Bennett can be that guy as well, but he isn't there yet. Monahan is a finisher but doesn't really generate or drive the offense, he rely's on others to get him the puck or to get the puck into scoring areas. So if you take away Gaudreau's time and space, you are really taking away Calgary's ability to generate offense.

Agree to a point. Monahan is struggling this year which is putting extra pressure on Gaudreau but I don't agree that he doesn't generate offence entirely as he did last year.

I don't dispute that the struggles of others are making things worse for Gaudreau but I also do believe that part of it is his game has, and always will have, certain limiations based on his size/strength. 

UFA:

Jiri Hudler: Maybe bring you look at bringing him back if he would take 2-3 years at $4-4.5m, otherwise trade him at the deadline, we can probably get a 2nd round pick for him this point, last year we maybe could have gotten a 1st, but not now.

David Jones: I haven't had an issue with Jones since he arrived in Calgary and I think he is playing just as well this year as he had in previous years. I wouldn't mind the idea of bring him back at 2 years $2.5m, but we also need to get more picks and prospects in the pool so I would trade him. I think a 3rd round pick is what we can expect back for him.

Kris Russell: He is expendable. Defensemen usually get more in return at the deadline so I think we can get a 2nd round pick for him.

Jonas Hiller: Based on current play and salary he isn't tradeabe at this point. There is no point in bringing him back.

Karri Ramo: Same as Hiller.

The only RFA's I don't bring back are Van Brabant and Poulin for sure. If Nakladal doesn't make the jump and at least show he can play in the NHL, then I cut him loose too, though if he doesn't get a crack at the NHL this year he will probably head back overseas.

For the guys we seem to be leaning towards trading, I think the best idea is to look for prospects as the best return.  Picks are too far out from helping, and if we decide to trade these guys we are losing the ones that helped us be competitive.  

Hudler - one of our top scoring forwards over the last few years.  We need something better than just a 2nd rounder.  I would hope to get someone like a Beau Bennett or a B prospect at worst.  I'm not completely against re-signing him, but I wouldn't pony up anything much more than his current salary, and max 3 years.  

Jones - provides something we seem to lack in the lineup; grit.  That and a RHS RW.  2 years at $2-2.5m would be fine.  Only way I trade him is if a guy like Hathaway was able to duplicate his production.

Russell - would hope to get something other than a pick for him.  If a trade is available right now, trade him before his value becomes zero.  As well, I think we would fare as well or better without him in the top 4.

Hiller and Ramo - one may be usable as a trade for a longer-term goalie or one making more.  Possible trade partners could be COL (Varly), LA (Enroth), TOR (Reimer), or SJS (Stalock).  These could be made possible due to a pending UFA (TOR, SJS), wanting a better backup for a cup run (LA), or shedding salary (COL).    

For the pending UFA's and RFA's, I would consider the following:

Jooris, Colborne, Granlund, Monahan, and Gaudreau.

On the Heat, everyone except BVB.  Poulin played well enough before injury.  Ortio should be re-signed if possible, assuming he shows anything resembling his former self.  One of those two should be looked on as an option for a backup in Calgary next year.

Every other RFA there needs to be developed some more.  Wotherspoon still has not had enough NHL games to say he is a bust. Hartley has not evaluated him at all since his injury season, save for one game the end of last year.  Shore and Grant are at least AHL stars, if they can't make it to the NHL.

Out side of GIllies we have no goalies that are worth keeping. With the RFA if we can trade them great if not best of luck.  

UFAs

Hiller = Trade value 0
Hudler = Trade Value, depending, 1st or 2nd and prospect
Jones = Trade Value 2nd
Ramo = Trade Value 0
Russell = Trade value 2nd/3rd

Related or not to the topic I would look at options for moving Gio and Wideman as well. Was never a fan of either contract, Gio moving out $11 million would free up a lot of cap space.

RFAs

Colborne = Resign 1.3 Million for 3 years
Gaudreau = Resign 5 year @ 6.5 million
Granlund = Unknown
Jooris = $975k trade value 4th/5th
Monahan = Resign 5 year@ 5 Million

UFAs

Nakladal = Resign

RFAs

Agostino =
Arnold =
Elson =
Grant =
Hamilton =
Orito = Trade or let walk
Poulin = Trade or let walk
Shore = Trade or let walk
Van Brabant = Trade or let walk
Wotherspoon = Trade or let walk

We get the point, are you going to mention trading Giordano in all your posts from here on.

UFAs

Hiller = Trade at TDL for 5-7 Rd pick if possible, Do not re-sign... (-$4M)

Hudler = Trade at TDL for late 1st Rd pick & B-level prospect... (-$4M)

Jones = $3M for 2 years... (-$1M)

Russell = Trade at TDL for 2nd Rd pick... (-$3.5M)

Ramo = Trade at TDL FOR 5-7 Rd pick if possible. Possible re-sign at $2M... (-$3.75M)

New Goalie = ?

Total = $3M

RFAs

Colborne = $1.5M for 3 years

Gaudreau = $6.5m for 8 years

Granlund = $1.25 for 2 years

Jooris = $1.25 for 2 years

Monahan = $5M for 8 years

Total = $15.5M

UFAs

Nakladal = $1M for 2 years

Total = $1M

RFAs

Agostino = $850k

Arnold = $900k

Elson = $625k

Grant = $725k

Hamilton = $850k

Orito = $850k for 2 years

Shore = $900k

Van Brabant = $900k

Wotherspoon = $1.25M for 2 years

Total = $7.65M

I also don't think you can get a 1st for Hudler right now. A 2nd a B prospect maybe but not a first. Teams generally are avoiding giving up 1st round picks at the deadline as it is and with Hudler not playing well I dont' think there is much chance at all he gets a 1st. with the way he is playing right now he might not even get you a 2nd straight up. 

I also don't think you can get a 1st for Hudler right now. A 2nd a B prospect maybe but not a first. Teams generally are avoiding giving up 1st round picks at the deadline as it is and with Hudler not playing well I dont' think there is much chance at all he gets a 1st. with the way he is playing right now he might not even get you a 2nd straight up. 

PHX got a 1st last season for a 32 yr old Vermette who had 13 goals and was a -23.

PHI got a 1st for a 9 pt Coburn.

CAR got a 1st for a soft Sekera.

We’re not trading Hudler today but when the feeding frenzy starts in Feb the values go up dramatically.  Hudler is a top 6 forward and could very well fetch us a 1st in due time.

PHX got a 1st last season for a 32 yr old Vermette who had 13 goals and was a -23.

PHI got a 1st for a 9 pt Coburn.

CAR got a 1st for a soft Sekera.

We’re not trading Hudler today but when the feeding frenzy starts in Feb the values go up dramatically.  Hudler is a top 6 forward and could very well fetch us a 1st in due time.

2 of those are Dman and specifically top 4 dman. Much higher demand there in the league.

Vermette is a versatile Center/Winger and one of the elite faceoff guys in the league. Extremely valuable come playoff time, more so than an avg top 6 winger who right now is not even playing like a top 6 winger. I'm not saying its impossible but its not very likely you get a frist and the only way you do is if Hudler stars playing like he did last year giong into the TDL. 

The only issue I've ever had with Jones is the contract. I'm good with him as a solid 3rd liner at $2.5.

Neither Ramo nor Hiller back, I'm good standing behind playing them out, but they are/were stop gaps. If we haven't figured it out in 2 yrs, come see come saw, gotta try something else. Thomas Greiss looks like he can platoon for the Isles just fine, to put it in perspective.

I'd give Mony the same grease as Gaudreau, or more. Centers are worth more to me so I'd keep Monahan before Gaudreau, preferably both, but we need impact wingers with size and intimidation, somewhere.

Russell can go away, re-sign Nakladl as a better fit to rebuild *NOT SMALL AND WEAK*

I'd be good with Hudler at $4.5, but don't see it happening. He'll bring that "don't worry, we'll get it back" demeanour elsewhere.

I believe we overrate what's on the farm and it seems to be coming true, we've gotten Mony and Bennett, those 2 are great pieces, but everything else at the forward ranks (wingers) is mostly a hodge-podge of "kinda sorta okay I guess".

As for the D, I want Nakladl. In preseason he paired in top 4 minutes with solid play. All for a -3 thanks to Gio and Russell. Nakladl burned his way to the A due to injury, but a lot is due to our starter Dmen, and up until now it's showing.

My biggest disappointment this year has been Backlund, he has to know that he has to be better, full time.

When you need that 2 way center he is and don't get him, the house starts caving. We FINALLY commit to him, and he just isn't there again. I hold out hope.

The team as a whole just looks carelessly exhausted too often.

Too many, waaaay too many....deflating goals....too early....and too often.

That, and we aren't "surprising" anyone, so get over it.

rantover

I enjoyed your post. I don't know about Naks because we have not yet played him. I am not sure why we signed a guy and have not bothered to play him.

I am also not sure about Russell. I know a lot of people here are critical of his play and I understand why. He is not big and blocks shots rather than taking the man. That is not sustainable. But, it seems to me that he is very effective in the right role. He just needs to be surrounded by bigger, more aggressive defencemen. You can put him on the PP and at times when you are struggling to enter the offensive zone (as in when Sutter coached the team and it would take us about 20 attempts to get over the blue line).

We have to deal Hudler and I have said before that we should trade Backlund. 

I enjoyed your post. I don't know about Naks because we have not yet played him. I am not sure why we signed a guy and have not bothered to play him.

I am also not sure about Russell. I know a lot of people here are critical of his play and I understand why. He is not big and blocks shots rather than taking the man. That is not sustainable. But, it seems to me that he is very effective in the right role. He just needs to be surrounded by bigger, more aggressive defencemen. You can put him on the PP and at times when you are struggling to enter the offensive zone (as in when Sutter coached the team and it would take us about 20 attempts to get over the blue line).

We have to deal Hudler and I have said before that we should trade Backlund.

Up until the end of last year I was saying no to trading both Hudler and Backlund. Even Hudler at his current rate is a tough sell on a re-sign right now. If we could use the money to get a bigger player we should.

Also, I wonder if the reason Hudler isn't playing well is the Giordano contract. Pure speculation, but could he feel slighted at the fact the Flames had to get Gio done and not him, with Hudler being a big part of the leadership group the last few years? I wouldn't know, but I've just been wondering lately.

Up until the end of last year I was saying no to trading both Hudler and Backlund. Even Hudler at his current rate is a tough sell on a re-sign right now. If we could use the money to get a bigger player we should.

Also, I wonder if the reason Hudler isn't playing well is the Giordano contract. Pure speculation, but could he feel slighted at the fact the Flames had to get Gio done and not him, with Hudler being a big part of the leadership group the last few years? I wouldn't know, but I've just been wondering lately.

I doubt it personally and if it were it's a pretty crappy attitude to have. I think Hudler is like a few of the flames in that they had career years last year and has come back down to hs norm.i think he'll pick it up but he is playing closer to his career norm so it's not all tha unreasonable.

Archived