Who Would You Re-sign for 2016/2017?

420since1974

I doubt it personally and if it were it's a pretty crappy attitude to have. I think Hudler is like a few of the flames in that they had career years last year and has come back down to hs norm.i think he'll pick it up but he is playing closer to his career norm so it's not all tha unreasonable.

I don't know. Hudler's skill really shone ever since he came to the Flames. A few on here seem to think he had a poor first year with us, but I don't agree. He carried play and until he got here we didn't have anyone who could stick handle in a phone booth. His mates might have brought his numbers down... If he had higher skilled guys things could've been different.

I think he looks way different now. I guess it could be whatever injury he sustained against LA? That's when I noticed the change in his play as he hasn't been the same since.

I know points are hard to get, but he scored about 15 more points in his way to his career year. With Johnny and Mony, the way they played last year, they helped.

If Hudler wants to stay, I think he needs to take only a mediocre raise.

For the guys we seem to be leaning towards trading, I think the best idea is to look for prospects as the best return.  Picks are too far out from helping, and if we decide to trade these guys we are losing the ones that helped us be competitive.  

Hudler - one of our top scoring forwards over the last few years.  We need something better than just a 2nd rounder.  I would hope to get someone like a Beau Bennett or a B prospect at worst.  I'm not completely against re-signing him, but I wouldn't pony up anything much more than his current salary, and max 3 years.  

Jones - provides something we seem to lack in the lineup; grit.  That and a RHS RW.  2 years at $2-2.5m would be fine.  Only way I trade him is if a guy like Hathaway was able to duplicate his production.

Russell - would hope to get something other than a pick for him.  If a trade is available right now, trade him before his value becomes zero.  As well, I think we would fare as well or better without him in the top 4.

Hiller and Ramo - one may be usable as a trade for a longer-term goalie or one making more.  Possible trade partners could be COL (Varly), LA (Enroth), TOR (Reimer), or SJS (Stalock).  These could be made possible due to a pending UFA (TOR, SJS), wanting a better backup for a cup run (LA), or shedding salary (COL).    

For the pending UFA's and RFA's, I would consider the following:

Jooris, Colborne, Granlund, Monahan, and Gaudreau.

On the Heat, everyone except BVB.  Poulin played well enough before injury.  Ortio should be re-signed if possible, assuming he shows anything resembling his former self.  One of those two should be looked on as an option for a backup in Calgary next year.

Every other RFA there needs to be developed some more.  Wotherspoon still has not had enough NHL games to say he is a bust. Hartley has not evaluated him at all since his injury season, save for one game the end of last year.  Shore and Grant are at least AHL stars, if they can't make it to the NHL.

You won't stay competitive for long with this thinking. You have to always have picks and the prospects coming along. 

In todays NHL you have to have a steady stream of Prospects knocking at the door. The cheapest ones are your own picks who you bring along in your system. These are your fill in value guys who replace the players who want more money than you can afford.

Look at Chicago for this process in action. They have been able to stay near the top because they have a steady stream of prospects ready to step in.

Just because a pick/prospect is 3-4 years away does not mean they are too far away to help...

You won't stay competitive for long with this thinking. You have to always have picks and the prospects coming along. 

In todays NHL you have to have a steady stream of Prospects knocking at the door. The cheapest ones are your own picks who you bring along in your system. These are your fill in value guys who replace the players who want more money than you can afford.

Look at Chicago for this process in action. They have been able to stay near the top because they have a steady stream of prospects ready to step in.

Just because a pick/prospect is 3-4 years away does not mean they are too far away to help...

Prospects in trade are less an unknown than a pick.  I'm not saying you don't need a steady stream of picks turning into prospects, I am saying that a pick helps farther down the road and may not ever amount to anything.  With a prospect, you would have scouted them and know what you would be getting.

For some of the suggested trades, the teams knocking on the doors are liable to be lower picks.  In Calgary, they have turned into players like Smith, McDonald, Seiloff, Klimchuk and Poirier.  Just a few examples, the point being that Poirier and McDonald are the only ones looking like possible NHL players.  

To put it in perspective, prospects like Forsberg (stupid trade) and Gormley have been included in trades.  Most teams would have traded for Forsberg over a 2nd, possibly even a late 1st.

Up until the end of last year I was saying no to trading both Hudler and Backlund. Even Hudler at his current rate is a tough sell on a re-sign right now. If we could use the money to get a bigger player we should.

Also, I wonder if the reason Hudler isn't playing well is the Giordano contract. Pure speculation, but could he feel slighted at the fact the Flames had to get Gio done and not him, with Hudler being a big part of the leadership group the last few years? I wouldn't know, but I've just been wondering lately.

Huds has not played the same way after the hit he took in the LA game at the end of last season. I was thinking he might have played the playoffs with an injured wing too(collarbone or shoulder). This year he has not played with the same intensity and I still wonder if maybe that is still bothering him and restricting his play.

Many players will be UFAs and RFAs at the end of this season.

Who would you resign and for how much?

Please try to be realistic with the current market and what the players would accept.

CALGARY FLAMES - $2,125,434.00 Cap Space (Cap Ceiling = $71.4M)

50 players under contract as of today.

Main Points (IMO)

- Gaudreau & Monahan will receive hefty raises unless Treliving pulls some "bridge contract magic" ala Brodie.

- Need to find, sign, & pay for a #1 NHL goalie.

UFAs

Hiller = $4.5M

Hudler = $4M

Jones = $4M

Ramo = $3.8M

Russell = $2.6M

Total = $18.9M

RFAs

Colborne = $1.275M

Gaudreau = $925k Salary, $925k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.9425M

Granlund = $792.5k Salary, $132.5k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M

Jooris = $975k

Monahan = 925k Salary, $850k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.8675M

Total = $7.0775M

STOCKTON HEAT (NHL salaries)

UFAs

Nakladal = $817.5k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $910k

Total = $910k

RFAs

Agostino = $735k

Arnold = $824.25k

Elson = $605k

Grant = $700k

Hamilton = $687.5k

Orito = $600k

Poulin = $650k

Shore = $850.5k

Van Brabant = $874.125k

Wotherspoon = $925k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M

Total = $6.526376M

We only have 46 contracts as of right now. McDonald, Andersson, Schneider and Kanzig don't count against the limit thus year as they are playing in junior.

I don't know about Naks because we have not yet played him. I am not sure why we signed a guy and have not bothered to play him.

I thought in camp I was giving him a bit of a pass to let him get used to the style change. But he still had the tools for a pretty good dman.

I the preseason, when he played at home, they gave him tough minutes with all of the dmen. I thought he did well, whereas his D partners had some real sausage-and-egg-scented brainfarts.

Our starters looked like they were just trying to make his minutes even tougher.

I was choked with his call up, he's definitely not worse than Smid, Russell and Wideman, but they have contracts, so apparently we're hellbent on driving him back to Europe when our D has been so stellar thus far.

Actually Kanzig counts. You can only slide if you are 18 or 19 and Kanzig turned 20 before the season started. It doesn't matter if you are playing in junior or AHL it's based on age and years since you've been drafted.

But Kylingtons deal would also slide so Flames are still at 47. I've never read anywhere that the rule has any stipulation as to where you were drafted from it just depends your age and how many NHL games you play. So long as Kylington doesn't play 10 games he should slide.

Actually Kanzig counts. You can only slide if you are 18 or 19 and Kanzig turned 20 before the season started. It doesn't matter if you are playing in junior or AHL it's based on age and years since you've been drafted.

But Kylingtons deal would also slide so Flames are still at 47. I've never read anywhere that the rule has any stipulation as to where you were drafted from it just depends your age and how many NHL games you play. So long as Kylington doesn't play 10 games he should slide.

Is there a maximum number of contracts permitted?
The maximum number of contracts per team permitted is as follows:
  1. Total NHL Roster contracts per team = 23 (not including IR)
  2. Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including NHL, AHL & ECHL), players in junior leagues who have not played 10 NHL games do not count towards this limit.
  3. Total NHL players belonging to a team = 90 (including roster, minor, prospects or drafted)

https://hockeyscap.com/faq#maximum_contracts

This is the best I could find, without becoming a lawyer so I can actually read the CBA. It seems to me if the team isn't paying the player (Calgary Flames, Stockton Heat or Adirondack Thunder) that his contract wouldn't count against the limit.

Which i think is the general understanding but I don't think that is accurate as the CBA mentiones pretty specifically that only 18 and 19 year olds are eligible for a slide 

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances

Ryan Pike also agreed that his contract should be running this year

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/9/27/what-s-the-deal-with-keegan-kanzig

HIS CONTRACT IS RUNNING

Because of his age when Kanzig signed his entry-level deal, he's already used up the two "slide years" that the CBA allocates to players that sign when they're 18. He's 20, both in age and in the CBA, meaning his contract will be rolling no matter where he plays.

(Micheal Ferland was in the same situation a few years ago, when his entry-level deal was running when he played with the WHL's Saskatoon Blades. He was there because the Flames had way too many forwards in the AHL during the lockout.)

My 2C (or 5 now I guess) for what its worth. 

CALGARY FLAMES - $2,125,434.00 Cap Space (Cap Ceiling = $71.4M)
50 players under contract as of today.

Main Points (IMO)
- Gaudreau & Monahan will receive hefty raises unless Treliving pulls some "bridge contract magic" ala Brodie.
- Need to find, sign, & pay for a #1 NHL goalie. 

UFAs

Hiller = $4.5M - TDL or UFA - GONE
Ramo = $3.8M- TDL or UFA - GONE
Russell = $2.6M- TDL or UFA - GONE

Hudler = $4M
Jones = $4M

I'd keep ONE of these guys. Jones is worth 3, Hudler is worth 4.5-5. 

Total = $18.9M

New total: $ 5M or less (13.9M savings)

RFAs

Colborne = $1.275M - RE-SIGN at 2M for 2 years
Gaudreau = $925k Salary, $925k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.9425M  - RE-SIGN at 6M for term
Granlund = $792.5k Salary, $132.5k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M - RE-SIGN at 2M for 2 years
Jooris = $975k - RE-SIGN at 1.5M for 2 years
Monahan = 925k Salary, $850k Performance Bonus, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.8675M - RE-SIGN at 6M for term

Total = $7.0775M

New Total: $15.5M (8M additional cost)

Net NHL difference: 5M savings 

STOCKTON HEAT (NHL salaries)

UFAs

Nakladal = $817.5k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $910k RESIGN 1.5M for 2 years, likely graduates to NHL

Total = $910k

RFAs

Agostino = $735k - RESIGN (don't know enough to value)
Arnold = $824.25k - RESIGN (don't know enough to value) May graduate to NHL
Elson = $605k - don't know enough to decide
Grant = $700k - - don't know enough to decide
Hamilton = $687.5k - don't know enough to decide
Orito = $600k - RESIGN probably around the 2M neighbourhood WILL graduate to NHL
Poulin = $650k - don't know enough to decide
Shore = $850.5k RESIGN 1.25M for 2 years Likely graduates to NHL
Van Brabant = $874.125k - TDL OR RFA - GONE
Wotherspoon = $925k Salary, $92.5k Signing Bonus = $1.0175M RESIGN 2M for 2 years May graduate to NHL

Total = $6.526376M

We'll be a cap team again, but at least have pieces moving in the right direction 

UFAs

I think that only one of Hudler/Jones will be re-signed and maybe Nakladal.

None of them will get much in the way of raises, Jones would have to accept a decrease for me to want to keep him.

The rest should be traded for draft picks if possible, or let walk if no interest at the TDL.

RFAs

All 5 on the NHL roster will be re-signed but I don't expect that Colborne, Granlund, & Jooris will see much in the way of raises and will be limited to 2 year terms.

None of the Stockton RFAs excite me enough to offer much in the way of an increase in $ or term.

When the $9M+ in contracts the Flames are paying Engelland, Raymond, & Smid expire at the end of 2016/2017, we will be in better shape.

The bottom 8 Fs, bottom 3 Ds, & the backup goalie (23 man roster) need to be signed to value contracts, if we are to keep the core of Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Giordano, & Hamilton together at the end of this rebuild (2017/2018?).

2 of those are Dman and specifically top 4 dman. Much higher demand there in the league.

Vermette is a versatile Center/Winger and one of the elite faceoff guys in the league. Extremely valuable come playoff time, more so than an avg top 6 winger who right now is not even playing like a top 6 winger. I'm not saying its impossible but its not very likely you get a frist and the only way you do is if Hudler stars playing like he did last year giong into the TDL. 

OK I see you want to belittle our players but really, Hudler can easily get a first, just like all these other guys, IF the right situation is there.    Just like them.  Hudler was top 10 in scoring last season and led the NHL in 5v5 scoring, is pretty consistent, has won before and is a great mentor (i.e. fits in well).  If a team is close and feels they just need that little extra oomph to get them over the top a first is nothing to give up for a Cup.  If a team isn't really in that position there's no way they are giving up a first for anybody for just a few weeks work.

Up until the end of last year I was saying no to trading both Hudler and Backlund. Even Hudler at his current rate is a tough sell on a re-sign right now. If we could use the money to get a bigger player we should.

Also, I wonder if the reason Hudler isn't playing well is the Giordano contract. Pure speculation, but could he feel slighted at the fact the Flames had to get Gio done and not him, with Hudler being a big part of the leadership group the last few years? I wouldn't know, but I've just been wondering lately.

Yes, when someone isn't playing well or seemingly not up to previous levels it makes you wonder if something might be happening behind the scenes that no one knows about.  These guys are all human so it shouldn't be unexpected that things like this can/do happen and I've been wondering the same.  

Archived